Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis or The Beatles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 246 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2011 2:02:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2011 12:06:49 AM PST
Hinch says:
Who had the biggest impact and influence on music and who do you prefer?

================================================

edit:

lol! "No" votes just for asking the question?

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 3:38:26 AM PST
Nowhere Man says:
The Beatles and The Beatles. I can explain why, of course. But do I need to? :)

Have a nice day!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:31:29 AM PST
Blue Jay Way says:
Elvis Presley, of course. Do I have to explain why?, of course not.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:41:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 5:43:02 AM PST
Blue Jay Way says:
I like both acts, but if I was asked this same questions 30 years ago I would had choose The Beatles. But now Elvis is my personal favorite for the last 25 years. His music is more varied in style and substance. He covered lots of other genres. He didn't limit himself to singing only rock and roll. The Beatles were good, but they were mostly a pop band. I always considered them the original kings of pop because they had so much catchy tunes.

I know of peolpe who loves Elvis and abhor The Beatles, and those who love The Beatles but detest Elvis. And those of course who love both. It is just a matter of taste.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:06:22 AM PST
THE KING

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 8:36:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 8:39:53 AM PST
club 7 says:
elvis influenced more of the greatest rockers that ever walked this planet but the beatles took that torch when elvis started doing those cheesy crappy col. parker chosen movies and lost his rock n' roll edge.
both great but i prefer the beatles and i think though elvis influenced the greatest rockers...the beatles influenced more.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:24:26 AM PST
Blue Jay Way says:
The thing is by the time Elvis came back from the army in 1960, he was already 25 years old. He wasn't aiming at the teenage market anymore. By then rock and roll was basicly dead, he lost interest. He soon abandoned rock and roll and started to explore other genres of music. This is my opinion, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 9:45:22 AM PST
club 7 says:
but elvis's comeback in 68 was killer along with the album from elvis in memphis.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:49:57 AM PST
vivazappa says:
A far as my musical tastes go...THE BEATLES!!!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 1:21:07 PM PST
Blue Jay Way says:
Thanks, club 7. I was about to mention that, but then I didn't. Yes indeed, Elvis In Memphis is one of his strongest albums. I heard it for the first time like a year ago or so and I was totally blown away by it. Don't know why it didn't have a bigger impact back then because that album is awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go and give it a listen (once again) right now.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:26:20 PM PST
Nowhere Man says:
Elvis had a fantastic voice and was a great showman, but he wrote no song. Besides, when he visited president Nixon, he told him the Beatles were a bad example for the American youth and should not be allowed to play in America... Beautiful case of integrity, Elvis. He felt quite threatened, too. He knew why.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 4:53:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 4:54:33 PM PST
Robert J. says:
The Beatles had far, far more impact. I should know as I was there back then.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:00:44 PM PST
The Beatles for sure. <3

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:19:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 5:20:49 PM PST
SouthernGent says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:55:15 PM PST
Elvis had a huge impact. Especially when his bloated, drug adddicted body slid from the toilet to the bathroom floor. A huge impact!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:21:24 PM PST
lisarenee62 says:
Elvis!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:29:09 PM PST
Blue Jay Way says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:29:54 PM PST
soulboy13 says:
Neither - Elvis was a good looking guy in the right place at the right time who sang other peoples' songs.
The Beatles wrote just much pop rubbish as good songs.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:47:29 PM PST
Working Man says:
In my opinion the Beatles were the greatest rock and roll band of all time. The Stones often get the title of World's Greates Rock and Roll band and they have a right to stake a claim to it that cannot be disputed. I never really cared much for Elvis but I grew up on the Beatles hearing their songs when I was still literally a child. When I came of age, it was more Led Zeppelin and their contemporaries but for me the Beatles were the first great Rock and Roll band and maybe the Stones took that title from them by outlasting the Beatles but for me it was the Beatles.

As for influence, I think both Elvis and the Beatles both had huge influence on rock and roll music and I am not sure I could really say one had more than the other.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 11:32:46 PM PST
Hinch says:
It's really hard to say who had the biggest impact on music. Elvis' RCA albums and singles of the 1950s, are some of the greatest recordings ever made. John Lennon said "Before Elvis, there was nothing" "When I heard Heartbreak Hotel it was so great I couldn't speak"
After meeting Elvis "I didn't have the nerve to tell Elvis this last night, but you see these sideburns? I almost got kicked out of school for trying to look like him. Tell Elvis that if it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't be here."

The chances are, if it wasn't for Elvis, there would have been no Beatles. Big impact in that respect.

The Beatles are my favorite, and their impact on music is unmeasurable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 12:41:25 AM PST
Hinch says:
"Elvis In Memphis"

One of the few of his later albums I really liked. I'm a big fan of his 50s music.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:10:40 AM PST
Elvis could sing and perform well physicaly, .. . but The Beatles possessed and demonstrated alot more creativity, originality, inteligence, and imagination as musicians and recording artists. Plus they were composers and lyricists who did their own material, .. where Elvis wasn't .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 7:12:49 AM PST

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 7:25:49 AM PST
Sa5150 says:
THE KING BABY

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 7:35:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 7:43:58 AM PST
Da Superman,

The Beatles were not a mere "pop" band, .. . only a real simpleton would make THAT charge. Nor did they compose alot love songs ( some of the members did after they wen't soloist, .. . but not as a group ). Some of their songs, in fact, were actualy quite radical, sophisticated and even weird ( for their time period ) both musicaly and thematicaly, .. namely songs like 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds ( L.S.D. ), Strayberry Feilds, and I Am the Walrus ( as a few examples ). They also had alot of varying musical influences other than just pop and rock 'n roll ( like asian, classical music, british vaudvile, showtune, psychadelia and so on ). They were pretty much the progenators, or certainly at least ONE of the early progenators, of what came to be termed "progresive rock". Calling them a "pop band" who wrote "catchy tunes" and "silly love songs" shows amazing stupidity !
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  246
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions