Customer Discussions > Music forum

A 1971 Album Matchup: The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" or Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 7:31:27 AM PST
Both these albums also spent 4 weeks at #1 during the year 1971.

This might be a bit of an upset, but I'm picking "Every Picture Tells A Story". I love that album.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:16:48 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
Jeff,
These were both stellar albums, but I DO like Stick Fingers more. You could do similar matchups between 'Never a Dull Moment' and 'Exile on Main Street' (1972) or 'Smiler' and 'Goats Head Soup' (1973). After that the Stones and Stewart showed precipitous declines, but only Rod descended fully into a musical hell of his own making. What a waste...

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:27:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 8:43:16 AM PST
vivazappa says:
WOW...tough one...those records are so different.

-1971 Sticky Fingers by a slim margin over Every Picture
-1972 Exile blows everything ever recorded out of the water but I like Dull Moment better than Every Picture
-1973 Goat's Head over Smiler but Smiler is my favorite Rod record

And let me add:
-1975 Atlantic Crossing over Black and Blue...heck any David Cassidy record over Black and Blue ;)
-1978 Some Girls over Blondes Have More Fun
-1981 Tattoo You over Tonight I'm Yours
-1984 Dirty Work over Camouflage

Almost a Stones sweep...but not by much on the original question.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:32:57 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Sticky Fingers

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:40:15 AM PST
tokolosi says:
Stewart's is more covers than original material, and the original stuff, while a bit catchy, are not particularly impressive. The Stones album contains some of the seminal hard-rock anthems of the early '70s.

No comparison.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:40:35 AM PST
Jeff,
Now here's a great match up. Both of these albums Rock. This is Rod, and the Faces at their best. At the time, if there was any band competing with the Stones for the title as the greatest Rock and Roll band it, was Rod and the Faces. I do give a slight edge to the Stones. "Sticky Fingers" is one of my all time favorite albums.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:22:41 AM PST
What is your favorite Keith Partridge release?

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:25:22 AM PST
This is tough match up for me. These are my favorite albums by each. I will take Brown Sugar over Maggie Mae so I guess STICKY FINGERS!

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:31:49 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Daniel:
My favorite is his 5th one...boy did that break new ground ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:32:18 AM PST
Sticky Fingers

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:34:28 AM PST
B L T says:
Sticky Fingers

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 9:34:34 AM PST
I can't wait for Jeff to do his "David Cassidy or Justin Beaver?"

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:42:16 AM PST
vivazappa says:
That's close...

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:43:37 PM PST
Very close, while I like the Stones better than Rod, Every Picture Tells A Story is Rod's finest hour. Sticky Fingers comes close but I gotta go with Every Picture here. Nice matchup though!

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:08:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 8:16:16 PM PST
I agree, this is a great matchup. I give both of these albums solid "A" ratings and they both make my top ten for 1971. However, "Sticky Fingers" places at #6 while "Every Picture Tells A Story" comes in at #10, so I gotta go with "Sticky"!

My top ten for 1971. with the album's ranking in my overall Top 100 list in parentheses:

1. "Who's Next", The Who (#16)
2. "What's Going On", Marvin Gaye (#22)
3. "Led Zeppelin IV/Zoso", Led Zeppelin (#40)
4. "Electric Warrior", T.Rex (#41)
5. "Tago Mago", Can (#58)
6. "Sticky Fingers", The Rolling Stones (#69)
7. "Meddle", Pink Floyd (#88)
8. "Fragile", Yes (just bubbles under at #106)
9. "Blue", Joni Mitchell
10. "Every Picture Tells A Story", Rod Stewart

1971 places more albums in my Top 100 than any other year except for 1967 and 1968, which place nine albums each.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:14:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 9:17:13 PM PST
Hinch says:
Sticky Fingers. Love Rod Stewart but imo it's not even close. SF is one of The Stones' best.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:08:46 AM PST
Sticky Fingers. I hate Rod Stewart. Better 1971 albums are-
Master Of Reality-Black Sabbath
IV-Led Zeppelin
Fireball-Deep Purple
Budgie-Budgie

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:44:10 AM PST
David Watson says:
rod the mod stewart is the best rocker ever...i'm listening to soulbook right now...he makes any song he sings his own...he is one hell of a writer-the autobiography is fabulous...my wife and i have to have a rod music fix just about every day...when we were the new boys is super!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:54:33 AM PST
David Watson says:
you hate rod stewart...you obviously haven't listened to his music...i feel sorry for you

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 6:08:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 6:19:36 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Rod loves you anyway Mcnary ;)

You should have seen the fiasco at Anaheim Stadium in 75. Rented equipment, poor poor sound, drunk as skunks and a wild crowd. They played about 40 minutes. Rod's microphone cut out and they crowd sang Angel and Maggie May. The smash up at the end was classic...exerything got wrecked, amps and P.A. system included. Rod thanked the crowd for not "slashing his throat!"

I spoke with Ian last year and he said the only piece of equipment that belonged to them was his organ. He had to knock Woody off of it to keep him from destroying it. I told him I loved the show because it was soooo bad. He thanked me and said he never heard anyone say that before. He told me all the behind the scenes stuff that went on earlier that day with promoters Wolf and Rissmiller. (RIP Steve Wolf) They got $250,000 for the show. Rod wanted to play, the rest didn't. As a Sothern Cal boy you coulda woulda shoulda gone even if you hate Rodney...and the crowd that was there enjoyed the mess.

One of my top 3 concert memories.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 6:29:37 AM PST
TC says:
Sticky Fingers

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:58:33 AM PST
MC says:
Great story vivazappa, that's really funny, and sad.....

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:12:18 AM PST
EvenSteven says:
Agree wif MR Zappa, both very different records & essential records to both artists respective catalogues.
& re Rod/Faces, I'd venture to say what a waste of a good musician when "Woody" joined the competition.
It's lp's like "Picture" or "Nods as Good..." that truly support that statement. Woods role was very "compartmentalized" or somewhat marginalized in the Stones camp....but I digress....Picture & Fingers are 2 very good if not very over played records.
ES.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:13:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:28:13 AM PST
At that Faces show at Anaheim Stadium the crowd up in the upper decks started jumping and rocking and the structure began moving up and down from the weight of the crowd. This caused a panic as the people below this extended deck freaked out as they thought they would be crushed and most headed towrds the field in a mad rush. Well, the stadium survived but it almost ended any future concerts from being held at the ballpark as this crowd was outta control. This was almost a very tragic day in southern California!

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:15:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:16:03 AM PST
vivazappa says:
That why I was down front...I'd seen the Beach Boys do the same thing the previous May.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions