Customer Discussions > Music forum

High voiced rock singers... who sang the highest?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 6:09:42 PM PST
Barry Smith says:
I'm talking about male vocalists only. Which rock artists who sang so high that they sounded like a woman? I know that hard rock and heavy metal singers usually fit the bill but not always....

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:17:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 6:23:31 PM PST
Geddy Lee sings pretty damn high on 2112 and I love it!

"Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand!"

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:30:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2013 8:29:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:35:28 PM PST
Roger Taylor sang all the highest notes for Queen.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:39:20 PM PST
But the singer for Pavlov's Dog makes Geddy Lee sound like a baritone!

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:48:43 PM PST
Joe Anthony says:
Frankie Valli's (from Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons) falsetto is quite high.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:49:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2013 8:30:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:53:04 PM PST
The question here isn't who sang smoothest, it's who sang highest. Most all of the screeches and high-pitched notes on Queens songs were handled by Roger.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:17:52 PM PST
Chazzzbo says:
Brad Delp - Boston
Michael Sweet - Stryper
Brian Wilson - Beach Boys
Barry Gibb - Bee Gees
Steve Perry - Journey

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:19:40 PM PST
Deep Purple's Ian Gillan was the first who really impressed me and many others at the time with his upper range,
particularly on "Child In Time" and his work on the Rock Opera, "Jesus Christ Superstar".

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:21:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2013 8:30:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:34:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 24, 2013 8:30:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:52:45 PM PST
D. Mok says:
King Diamond
Prince
Rob Halford
Sebastian Bach

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:04:14 PM PST
Curtis Mayfield

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:36:36 PM PST
Lou Christie
Del Shannon
JC

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:43:25 PM PST
Working Man says:
What about Jon Anderson from Yes?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 8:50:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 8:52:45 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Randal L. Stoner:

Here's a youtube sample of the voice of Pavlov Dog's David Surkamp....he sounds like his nuts are in a vise. Watch out for that big finish on Julia.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMkAcgeLB6E

I have the album entitled Pampered Menial on vinyl....I wouldn't part with it for all the vibratos in China. This is the guys REAL voice.

ed.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:04:07 PM PST
Zaplightning says:
King Diamond
Messiah Marcolin
Katon W. De Pena
Steve Grimmett

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:18:53 PM PST
King Diamond
Rob Halford

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 10:44:21 PM PST
BigBadAzz says:
Third vote for Rob Halford of Judas Priest and David Surkamp of Pavlov's Dog.

LOL@ E. Dill re: Nuts in a vice! :)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 11:07:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 11:08:10 PM PST
Not a big Queen fan but I would be highly shocked if the limited rasp of Taylor was hitting those high notes.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 3:36:26 AM PST
Ian Llyold of Stories (Brother Louie) This band made one of the best albums of the seventies "About Us" which added "Brother
Louie" after it became a hit, but was not indicative of their sound. The rest of the album is very Beatlesque. Joe D

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 4:03:34 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> Here's a youtube sample of the voice of Pavlov Dog's David Surkamp...

That's high, but not in the uppermost echelons of rock. The reason I know is that I can hit that same note as Surkamp (just tried)...and I know for a *fact* that my highest note is not that high compared to Brad Delp or Prince. I've got four octaves, I can sing in the soprano range, and I still can't hit the highest notes in "More than a Feeling" or "Purple Rain", even in falsetto. Rob Halford is reputed to have had six octaves in his prime, and four octaves now, even at the age of 61.

Throw in another name: Bobby Hatfield.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 4:08:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2013 4:22:57 AM PST
Jevrick

Listen to the backing vocals on Freddie's songs. The very high notes are done by Roger. Yes, Freddie can hit high notes very well, but the ultra high notes are done by Roger and in concert especially, Roger filled in a lot of the notes that Freddie sang on record to save Freddie's voice from the wear and tear of being the lead singer night after night. Listen to Queen in concert. Freddie stopped doing the high notes live because it was taking a toll on his throat.

The opening wail on Lap Of The Gods on Sheer Heart Attack is Roger. The operatic part of Bohemian Rhapsody with the super high parts? Roger. Nevermore. Same thing. Any song where they're singing harmonies (just about every song) and the high part is done by Roger.

Yes, Roger loved writing rockers and didn't put a lot of harmonies in his songs so the high harmonies weren't called for but you can tell just by his voice that he is a high tenor. I'm a 2nd tenor and I can't touch Rogers range.

And singing high doesn't automatically make a man sound like a woman. Roger Taylor, Geddy Lee, Brad Delp, The Bee Gees. None of them sounded like women even though they have very high singing voices. Many women have beautiful alto voices and there is nothing masculine about them.

It seems like you think I'm saying Roger has a nicer voice than Freddie and that is not what I'm saying. Freddie was the voice of Queen. Period. But Roger sang those incredibly high notes you hear in the background of just about every Queen song. I'm just saying that Roger had a natural high tenor voice and they used it in the background to get those great harmonies that Roy Thomas Baker, who produced the early Queen albums and the band itself were famous for.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 4:16:07 AM PST
Exile

Look into it. You will be shocked.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions