Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

George Harrison

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2013 3:13:05 AM PST
Hinch says:
Monday Feb 25 will be the youngest Beatle's 70th birthday.

What are some of your favorite Harrison recordings?

George Harrison albums in order of my preference

ALL THINGS MUST PASS
GEORGE HARRISON
CONCERT FOR BANGLA DESH
CLOUD NINE
SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND
BRAINWASHED
LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD
LIVE IN JAPAN
WONDERWALL MUSIC
33 & 1/3
EXTRA TEXTURE(READ ALL ABOUT IT)
DARK HORSE
GONE TROPPO
ELECTRONIC SOUNDS

Some favorite GH tracks

Beatles;

Roll Over Beethoven
Don't Bother Me
Taxman
Love You Too
If I Needed Someone
I Want To Tell You
Long Long Long
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Think For Yourself
The Inner Light
For You Blue
Blue Jay Way

Solo;

Give Me Love(Give Me Peace On Earth)
This Is Love
What Is Life
Don't Make Me Wait Too Long
When We Was Fab
Teardrops
Apple Scruffs
I Dig Love
Blow Away
Your Love Is Forever
Devil's Radio
Deep Blue

With the release of the documentary 'George Harrison: Living In The Material World' we got a cd of some previously unreleased recordings, EARLY TAKES: VOL I. Hopefully we'll be getting a Vol II soon. It would be nice to have a box set of unreleased George Harrison material.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:32:56 AM PST
Bernard J. says:
While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( Acoustic Anthology version). One of his best moments ever.

I also like 'I Need You', and 'You Like Me Too Much', even though George himself didn't.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 5:46:33 AM PST
Chazzzbo says:
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Here Comes The Sun
When We Was Fab
Handle With Care
Isn't It A Pity - favorite

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 7:07:34 AM PST
Don't forget the Wilburys! Best super-group ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 3:55:48 PM PST
Hinch says:
Bernard

I like all of those.

Here's a cool album I'm listening to right now.

George Harrison...By The Beatles

http://youtu.be/039i55f3QZQ

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 3:58:01 PM PST
Hinch says:
I've been listening to some of George's old albums I listed as least favorites, like Dark Horse and Extra Texture. I actually haven't listened to them in a while. They're better than I was thinking.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 6:53:21 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Albums:

All Things Must Pass and Cloud Nine-Tied for #1
33 and 1/3
Material World
Live In Japan
The rest

Songs:

1-TIE: Here Comes The Sun, Handle With Care, This Is Love, and All Things Must Pass

The rest tied for #2:
Devil's Radio
My Sweet Lord
What Is Life
Dear One
Beautiful Girl
Crackerbox Palace
I Need You
Beware of Darkness
That's The Way It Goes
Absolutely Sweet Marie (Live on Bob Dylan's 30th Anniv Concert)
Cheer Down
It's All Too Much
Something
Photograph (Ringo recorded it, George co-wrote it. An all-time GREAT song...)
Do You Want to Know A Secret? (George on vocal)
Isn't It A Pity

Others I overlooked.....

GT

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:02:30 PM PST
Hinch says:
Nice list!

I believe George also wrote "It Don't Come Easy" and gave Ringo credit.

I know he recorded a demo for Ringo.

http://youtu.be/4p5yzdCa2GE

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 7:03:17 PM PST
Harrison is my favorite member of The Beatles. This is how I rank the albums of his solo career:

1. All Things Must Pass (natch) A
2. George Harrison B+
3. Living In The Material World B
4. Brainwashed B
5. Thirty-Three And 1/3 B-
6. Cloud Nine B-
7. Dark Horse C+
8. Somewhere In England C+
9. Extra Texture C
10. Gone Troppo C

The "Wonderwall" soundtrack album from 1968 is also *wonderful* and I would actually put it just behind "All Things Must Pass" as a very favorite one of mine.

In spite of the low grades for the last four albums on my list, they all have worthwhile cuts. I have far too many favorite George songs to list, but I think his peak songwriting period was from 1968-71, comprising the period covered by the White Album, Let It Be, Abbey Road, All Things Must Pass, Bangla Desh, and the early songs penned for Living In The Material World.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:13:24 PM PST
Bernard J. says:
Hinch
Thanks for the link.

I also like the Anthology version of 'Only A Northern Song' better than the released version.
It was sped up, with less clutter in the background. I think a few lyrics were a bit different, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:19:24 PM PST
Hinch says:
Bernard

There's a lot of good stuff in the Anthologies. Havent listened to them in a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:21:34 PM PST
Hinch says:
Michael

I agree! Even my least favorite GONE TROPPO has a couple of decent tracks. ELECTRONIC SOUNDS is his only album I would say is totally unlistenable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 7:23:03 PM PST
Hinch says:
Darryl

Yep! I love those Wilburys! Especially the first album. One of the best ever!

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:59:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 12:04:11 AM PST
Bob Bykowski says:
Even though George's songs with the Beatles didn't start living up to the standard of John and Paul's until the 'White Album' (in my opinion), his solo work holds up better than either one of theirs. John's solo work has too much Yoko worshipping and Paul's solo stuff bounces around erratically between vapid, airheaded pop and top notch work like 'Band on the Run'.

George's solo output, however, has lots of beautiful melodies, spiritual questioning on life's true meanings and superb guitar work - all of which was not fully appreciated when the recordings were orginally released, with the exception of the 'All Things Must Pass' album.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 7:13:45 AM PST
Lauren says:
Of the George albums I have or know I'd rank them:

All Things Must Pass
Living in the Material World
33 1/3
Dark Horse
Cloud Nine
George Harrison

I probably should check out Extra Texture since I really enjoy both Dark Horse and (especially) 33 1/3. 33 1/3 is a ridiculously underrated album. It sounds like others find Brainwashed very worthwhile too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 10:27:24 AM PST
Hinch says:
Brainwashed is very good. I've been listening to his seventies albums this weekend and had forgotten how good they are.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 11:12:21 AM PST
Lauren says:
I just listened to Dark Horse this morning and really enjoyed it. I know lots of people complain about his voice on that one, but to me it fits the material - he sounds like the wounded and nearly beaten man that some of the lyrics suggest.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 11:36:41 AM PST
I was just listening to the beautiful demo of "Something" - just George and a guitar, singing about the love of his life. It is an amazing song. As were many others of his.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 11:43:48 AM PST
In keeping with Michael's format except I also rated the live albums. Here is my list.
1) All Things Must Pass A+
2) Cloud 9 A
3) Brainwashed A
4) 33 And A 3RD- B
5) Living In The Material World- B-
6) Somewhere In England B-
7) George Harrison B-
8) Extra Textra-D
9) Dark Horse-D
10) Gone Troppo-D
Live Albums
1) Bangla Desh B
2) In Japan B

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:02:44 PM PST
@Stephen Delia: I would give "The Concert For Bangladesh" an "A", that show was *stupendous*. There are days when I think "33 1/3" gets a "B" (I gave it a "B-"). "Brainwashed" would be an "A-" for me if George's voice had been in better shape when he recorded it. It wasn't his fault, of course, but it still affects the quality of the album anyways. I just never got into the 80s sound and production on "Cloud Nine". It's really quite a lightweight album IMO, although it was heavily plugged as his big comeback.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:33:16 PM PST
Since Harrison's b-day is just around the corner, I thought I'd post this which just started making the rounds a few weeks ago. Some of you may have seen the bonus material on Scorcese's "Living In The Material World" documentary in which George, Giles and Dhani are at a mixing desk deconstructing "Here Comes The Sun", when Giles flips a switch that reveals a guitar solo during the instrumental break that was edited out of the final mix. Somehow, someone was able to either reconstruct the song adding that solo in, or the original take was leaked, resulting in our chance to hear the song from start to finish with that solo added in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9_Kyh9NV-Y

It's clear that the solo is not as good as what was put in its place, so Harrison made the right decision in not releasing it. It's interesting, but doesn't have the fluidity of George's other solos during that period, and doesn't build as well as the final version does. Still, like so many of their alternate takes/edits, it's a fascinating glimpse into the group's working process. What it tells me, is that there's more of this stuff out there; this is good enough to have been on "Anthology 3". As someone who can't get enough of Beatle outtakes, I wish the powers-at-be would scrape the bottom of the barrel further!! I mean, we're still waiting for "Carnival Of Light" and the 27-minute "Helter Skelter"...

Sure, what's left would probably not be as good as the final versions--but that's not the point. I love hearing these different alternate arrangements, and seeing how the group gradually crafted their material until settling on the right version. After hearing the released versions ad nauseum, it's always nice getting a fresh perspective on these classics.

Anyways, a big Happy Birthday to George and a thousand Hare Krishnas for all the incredible and life-changing music he gave us.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 2:11:03 PM PST
Michael, I did consider giving Bangla Desh an A, but even though I respect Ravi's playing, it's a bit long. I start to get a little restless. I don't mind it as much visually but I tend to skip it on the CD. (though not alays) And I know Eric was pretty strung out then but an Eric song would have been cool. Maybe Badge?

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 3:26:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 5:44:28 PM PST
Hinch says:
I watched a few performances from the Bangladesh concert this morning on Youtube. I had forgotten how good it is. All the performances are great.

I agree with Stephen. I enjoy watching Ravi more when I watch than when I just listen. A performance by Clapton and also one from Badfinger would have been nice.

Another thing I noticed was how serious George looked, especially during his performance of the song 'Bangladesh'. He looked very sincere. Helping the starving people was very important to him.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 4:45:34 PM PST
Hinch, how could I forget Badfinger! Yah, they definitly should have done a song.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 5:51:19 PM PST
Hinch says:
Badfinger had several good songs to choose from. An acoustic set would have been great! George's performance of 'Here Comes The Sun' with Peter Ham was one of the highlights.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions