Customer Discussions > Music forum

Must Have Original Vinyls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2013 8:15:36 PM PST
Stephen says:
Let's name some must have original vinyl's for classic rock lovers to help out some starting out vinyl collectors.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 10:15:54 PM PST
Pick up the entire 30-something classic rock movie soundtrack albums by Elvis Presley. That's a good start. Begin with the CLAMBAKE soundtrack. $30 a copy, if mint condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 10:53:14 PM PST
Son,
That is a joke, right?
John

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 11:05:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2013 11:08:12 PM PST
tokolosi says:
A few must-haves for the jackets alone:

Electric Ladyland
Wish You Were Here
Brain Salad Surgery
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sgt Peppers
Freak Out!
Physical Graffiti
Quadrophenia

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 5:39:28 AM PDT
I have sold/traded most of my vinyl over the years when I switched to CD's. But I've held on to certain things. I kept all my colored vinyl, Beatles collection, albums that have not been released on CD or were and quickly delted before I got them, sentimental records and some albums for the art work. I also liked EP's from juke boxes. Some of my fave vinyl I have kept is Dylan's Blood On The Tracks with the original back cover, In The Court Of The Crimson King for the great art work, Relics-Pink Floyd, again, great art work with that face tha is both funny and creepy. All Things Must Pass-nice clean copy with the original poster, Donovan's Greatest Hits, the original EPIC gatefold album for sentimental reasons, (it was my first album) , Reggae For It Now, an apparently very rare collection of great reggae songs on an import EMI label that I have never seen since the day I purchased it. Not a vinyl, or on CD at all as far as I know. That's just a few faves.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:27:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 12:25:36 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
CAUTION ! Super-lengthy post below.

Here are some in no order but recall:

Moody Blues
Days of Future Passed-Rock mixed with classical in a concept album most successfully
In Search of the Lost Chord
On The Threshold of a Dream
To Our Children's Children's Children
Question
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
Seventh Sojourn

Choose as many as you like between Chord and Favour. Days and Soujourn plus at least one of the middle of the list are essential.

The Band
Big Pink
Rock of Ages

The Byrds
Mr. Tambourine Man
Notorious Byrd Brothers

Beach Boys
Endless Summer
Pet Sounds

Beatles
1962-1966
1967-1970
Please Please me
Hard Days Night
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road

The Cars-Heartbeat City

Chicago
Chicago Transit Authority
Chicago (Sometimes referred to as Chicago II with blue cover and poster inside)

Eric Clapton
Slowhand
Just One Night

Derek and the Dominos-Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
Joe Cocker-With A Little Help From My Friends
Jim Croce-You Don't Mess Around With Jim (For Operator and Hey Tomorrow)
Fresh Cream

John Denver
Greatest Hits
Rocky Mt. High

Bread-On The Water
CSNY-4 Way Street

Neil Diamond
12 Greatest Hits
Hot August Night
Seagull

Dire Straits
S/T
Communique
Brothers

The Doors
S/T
Strange Days
Morrison Hotel
13 or Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

Dylan
Times Changin'
Highway 61
Blood
Hard Rain
Before The Flood
Infidels

Eagles
Greatest Hits
Hotel California

Fleetwood Mac
S/T (1975)
Bare Trees
Mystery to Me
Rumours

CCR-Chronicles

George Harrison
All Things Must Pass
Cloud Nine

Hendrix-Smash Hits
Buddy Holly-Any Collection will do

Jethro Tull
Living In The Past
Aqualung
TAAB
Songs From The Wood

Billy Joel
Turnstiles
Songs In The Attic

Rickie Lee Jones
S/T
Pirates

Led Zeppelin I and II
Gordon Lightfoot-Gord's Gold and Summertime Dream
Little Feat-Waiting For Colombus

Steve Miller Band
Anthology
Fly Like An Eagle
Book of Dreams

Van Morrison
Tupelo Honey
Poetic Champions Compose

Tom Petty (solo and with the Heartbreakers)
Torpedos
Hard Promises
Full Moon Fever

John Mellencamp-Scarecrow

Stones
Out of Our Heads (US)
NOW !
Aftermath (US)
Flowers
Bleed
Ya-Ya's
Beggars

Linda Ronstadt
Heart Like A Wheel
Hasten Down The Wind
Back In The USA
Lush Life

Santana-S/T
Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees
Toto IV

Simon (with Garfunkel and solo)
Greatest Hits
Parsley
Bridge
Rhymin'
Graceland
Rhythm

Dusty in Memphis

Springsteen
BTR
Darkness
River
USA

Ringo
Traveling Wilburys Vol 1

Rod Stewart
Gasoline Alley
Picture
Moment
Footloose and Fancy Free

Strawbs *-If you pay attention to any nominations on this list, score all these records.They are reasonable in price (just scored an additional copy of Hero for $1.99 Thursday) and as Strawbs is not exactly a commonly known band here in America, you'll be very pleasantly suprised how incredibly talented they are.

Bursting at the Seams
Hero and Heroine
Ghosts
Deep Cuts

10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe, Blind Man's Zoo

Three Dog Night
It Ain't Easy
Easy to be Hard

Traffic
S/T
Low Spark
John Barleycorn

Tina Turner-Private Dancer
SRV-Texas Flood

The Who
Sell
Tommy
Next
Quad
Numbers
Odds-N-Sods
Hooligans

Yes
Yes Album
Yesterdays
Fragile (even though I don't care for it, it's must-own if one's into collecting classic rock)
Edge

Neil Young
Gold Rush
Harvest
Zuma
Long May You Run (Stills-Young Band)
Comes A Time

Stephen Stills-Manassas
Bryan Adams-Reckless
Association-Insight Out
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band-Dirt, Silver, and Gold

Cat Stevens
Hits
Catch Bull At Four
Teaser

Al Stewart
Year of the Cat
Time Passages
Modern Times

Pretenders
S/T
Learning to Crawl

Elvis-#1's (Includes poster)

Paul McCartney
Ram
Wings Over America
Venus
Band on the Run

Elton John
Piano Player
Tumbleweed
YBR

Well, above will provide a few hints. Let us know how the collecting process goes.....

All the best this Sunday AM (an hour later now, don't ya know...)

GT

PS-A few more.

Aerosmith-Rocks, Toys
Monkees-More, Headquarters, Pieces, Aquarius...
Eddie Money-S/T
Todd Rundgren-Something/Anything?
Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits
Chris deBurgh-Spanish Train and Other Stories
Alan Parsons Project-Turn of a Friendly Card, Eye In The Sky
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
Allman Bros-Brothers and Sisters, Eat A Peach
JJ Cale-Okie
Johnny Cash-Live at Folsom Prison
Badfinger-No Dice, Straight Up
Doobie Bros-Captain and Me, ...Once Habits..

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:28:14 AM PDT
Park says:
How about:

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company (There may be an audiophile version of this record available)

It's a Beautiful Day - It's a Beautiful Day (I have an audiophile copy from San Francisco Records)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 7:50:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 8:06:25 AM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Stephen:

Just a few general thoughts regarding buying vinyl.

In my experience, as a new collector gets started buying used records, unlike cd's or dvd's that you can look at and pretty much see bad areas that could cause problematic playback issues, with vinyl, many of these blems are hidden.

We can see obvious scratches, but we many times cannot discern damage due to worn or improperly installed stylus by the prior owner(s). Be wary of buying used vinyl through mail-order vendors, due to the fact that even though they may guarantee quality, the hassle and cost of return shipment may not be worthwhile. I prefer to buy used vinyl at my local record stores, even though I have had great luck from mail-order vendors on occasion. I've also been taken advantage of by EBay and Marketplace sellers.

Also, the more popular the album, the more copies produced, presumably the lower the resale price, and the more copies buyers will have to pick from. Obscure records that had limited or only foreign release history will command higher prices than more common titles. An example is Tom Petty's Into The Great Wide open. Very limited release on vinyl, and resale copies have sold for $40+, while Damn The Torpedos, used, sell for much less on avg.

Just a few thoughts from an old guy.....

GT

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:11:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 8:11:45 AM PDT
Barry Smith says:
I'm obsessed with albums of the UNI label. UNI was a subsidiary of the MCA company, and was in business from around 1967 to 1972. Neil Diamond and Elton John were two of its top artists. Man, those LP covers were so psychedelic (no matter how "MOR" the artist actually was). And for some reason, all of the music on these LPs were quite good. I love the UNI label sticker in the middle of the record: a yellow field with a rainbow swirl. I could watch that sticker spin around for hours!
Some of my favorite UNI album covers: Madman Across the Water, Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:24:59 AM PDT
Zaplightning says:
I watched a show yesterday on VH1 classic rock, this guy near Pittsburgh had around 3 million albums in his collection. He owned a record store for many years and now has his vinyl in a warehouse. Everything was in cardboard boxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 9:25:42 AM PDT
DKPete says:
I never got rid of any of my originally bought LP's when CD's came out but throughout the late eighties, nineties and most of the 00's I pretty gave up on turntable action...so most of the albums sat, very safely tucked away and unplayed.

Then, around 2007, I accidentally "landed" on an online vinyl store which, lo and behold, carried NEW pressings of classic albums on heavyweight vinyl. For the brand spanking new packaging-as well as the heavy vinyl aspect-I jumped into these head first.

The point of this post is to tell "new" and younger vinyl junkies to be very careful of these new re-issues. While they LOOK great, the SOUND doesn't always match up-this is largely due to the quality of new pressings which is an entire other discussion in and of itself.

Bottom line, unless you're a packaging fanatic like I am and just HAVE to have a brand new copy of a classic album, STICK TO A GOOD USED COPY of an original pressing. They may not be as visually stunning (which, for better or worse, IS a part of the so-called "vinyl experience") but, more often than not, they are far better pressings and sound superior to the new versions in numerous ways.

Grandpa Tom...incredible list; I have one-and only one-revision...while the CCR Chronicles is a superb compilation, there are at least three CCR albums which are worth having in their entirety and belong in anyone's album collection if they're "serious" Rock fans in my opinion: Green River, Willy And The Poorboys and Cosmo's Factory...but, of course, that's just me in super-opinionated mode :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:30:27 AM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Good morning, Pete:

Long time, no speak, and hope you're well this Sunday.

Your post is spot-on as usual. Not to mention, newly mfg vinyl costs $15-25 depending on title, while, at least in my vicinity, used vinyl goes for between 3/$1 (Half-Priced Books 3 blocks from my office) to about $3.50 for FINE graded (visually) at the Cheapo stores here in Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Electric Fetus in Minneapolis is a little less (about $2-3 for FINE grade used, of course, title-dependent).

As an illustration, Thursday, at the Fetus, I scored a mono Petula Clark's Petula Clark Color My World / Who Am I (12 inch vinyl lp) and stereo Portrait of Petula , Strawbs Hero and Heroine , and to our children's children's children LP , all in excellent visual and playing condition. The Petula albums were $.99, and the others were $1.99.

The older vinyl were mastered for the analog playback world, utilizing the RIAA curve, eq settings, etc. The newer pressings seem to be reworked for the digital age, thusly possibly negating the purpose of enjoying the vinyl experience.

My HPB store always has hundreds of lp's of varying quality 3/$1. All the record stores I frequent in the Twin Cities have bins with hundreds of albums for $2. I have scored some incredible treasures when I have taken the time to paw through the crates. Some I just wanted for the music, some for the visual aesthetics. Several still had the original posters inside.

I agree with you on CCR. I just figured that incredible Chronicles set would prompt any music fan to score the others to which you referred. I still have my original Green River on the blue FANTASY label. Gosh, that record must weigh 3 pounds ! It's still flat, and plays incredibly today. Like you stated, Pete, it's also in how well you care for these treasures.

Everyone, play Gordon Lightfoot's OLD DAN'S RECORDS. It highlights even a recording artist's passion for playing records.

On another subject, I've been following your posts, along with others on the George thread. Boy, it got hijacked in a big way. In reality, we are all human, imperfect, have good and bad moments, are prey to addictions (my biggest one is acquiring music), and need help from others to get through this journey we call life.

Thanks for being a great pen-pal, Pete !

All the best to you and everybody today,
GT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:44:48 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Same to you GT..have a great rest-of-the-weekend (I'm actually going to one of the record stores in my area today...taking everyone here with me in spirit...if you don't wanna come, I leave you no choice :)...).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:29:59 AM PDT
DKPete,
Find some good Vinyl today.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:44:07 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Hi again John...a couple of things I'm keeping an eye out for these days. While I'm not expecting miracles sound wise, I'm dying to hear the new Mobile Fidelity release of The Raspberries Greatest Hits-but I'm not sure if it's out yet (also been waiting for the new Bowie album which I plan to pick up on vinyl).

As far as used vinyl, I'd like to expand on my Ten Years After stuff. I have three of their original releases on vinyl from "back in the day" but Alvin Lee's death has rekindled my interest in him and the band in a pretty big way.

I've also developed an interest-for no apparent reason-in the "greatest hits" of Rare Earth...now THERE'S a band which tried real hard at honest to goodness "album making" but are only really known for their small handfull of singles-only three major ones alltogether but I want to have the twenty minute version of Get Ready-talk about a "timepeace".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:04:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 12:04:39 PM PDT
MC says:
DKPete - Now that's a moldie oldie..... Good Luck with the search!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:23:14 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Pete:

Raspberries will be released April 23. Here's AMAZON's link. Raspberries Best Featuring Eric Carmen

Bowie is March 26. The Next Day (Vinyl)

Hope this helps...

GT

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:28:30 PM PDT
Grandpa T, First of all your list is excellent. One great album after. All those great Moody albums and Strawbs albums, we seem to have a lot of the same taste. I have not purchased any vinyl in years. In fact I can remember the last vinyl piece I got was Strange Man Changed Man by Brahm Tchvoskie. (please excuse spelling, I can't handle that one, LOL) and I only got it because it was like $80.00 on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:47:14 PM PDT
Yep. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 3:09:23 PM PDT
DkPete,
I collect vinyl. I have about 3 thousand albums, and about 2 thousand 45's. Bought my first 45 in 1960, "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. First album in 1963, "Little Deuce Coupe" by the Beach Boys. A few months later, "Meet The Beatles" for 77 cents at E. J. Korvettes. I buy most of my records at Yard Sale, and most of my friends have given me their records when they went to CD's. I sometimes sell some of my doubles, and extras at Flea Markets. I have a 1966 Seeburg Stereo Showcase Jukebox that hold 80 45's. I also have 2 Victrola's that play 78's. I love Vinyl.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 7:32:51 PM PDT
DKPete says:
John, it sounds like an extremely fun 'foray" into the life of vinyl collecting. It's like a loveable desease which cannot be fully explained to people who just aren't into it. The magic which an actual RECORD holds for me (and for you, obviously) cannot be fully described to people who are strictly of the CD age and beyond (telling it to the kids of the digital downloading age...??? forget about it).

Although on a completely different scale, for me, the enjoyment and thrill of a record, it's packaging, it's look, it's smell is akin to that of someone going nuts over a car...it's not JUST about the music as, with the latter, it's not just about the transportation.

The jukebox must be quite a joy; truly a thing of priceless beauty I can imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 8:03:19 PM PDT
Suze says:
Okay dumb question. Why is his face covered on the album cover....are they waiting till the day of release date to uncover it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:44:04 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more about original pressings. I've had more luck with used vinyl than new. I haven't been to Looney Tunes in awhile. If you made the trip, anything interesting?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:38:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 7:41:45 AM PDT
tmoore says:
DKPete - On a day like yesterday (which was sunny, unusually warm, and beautiful in DC area; possibly similar on Long Island?), I'd have been at the vinyl store in an instant, in my pre-children days. But I've had to cut back on those trips for a few years now, and for a few years to come. My reasoning is that my children will probably reach a point when they don't want me around as much. It's hard, but I feel it is the right thing to do right now.

Fortunately with Internet, and also some fortunate timing at the stores I do visit, I have been able to reacquire much of what I had in the past and then gotten rid for whatever reason. So I'm really not actively looking for anything at the current time.

It is a fun hobby, and I look forward to getting back into it more heavily, eventually (haven't completely abandoned; but have to make sure I go "when the opportunity presents itself", so to say).

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:34:36 AM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Pete, I love to hear you wax eloquently (haha) about vinyl. Grandpa, as I have written before, it seems that the vinyl I come across, even at yard sales, is way overpriced. The resurgence of interest in vinyl has caused some people to think they have a gold mine in their old records. I suppose I need to search out some used record stores who may know the real value of some of the old LPs and perhaps may not mark them up too drastically.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions