Customer Discussions > Music forum

A Beatles vs Stones Name Matchup : Julia or Angie?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2013 7:45:21 PM PDT
Now for this one, I clearly favor the Stones. I gotta go with "Angie".

I do like how the first disc of the White Album ends on the sweet notes of "I Will" and "Julia", but I always thought Paul's "I Will" was the greater of the two - short and sweet. And I also heard he is playing the bass with his mouth?

If this matchup were "I Will" and "Angie", then I'd really be torn!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 7:54:04 PM PDT
All of these Stones/Beatles matchups and I'm really showing my predjudice. Other than Let It Be I have chosen the Stones everytime. I really want to go with Julia but I just can't do it. I love the chord structure in Angie too much to vote against it.

Oh well, you can't say I never tried. :)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:05:13 PM PDT
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Angie is just too good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 8:07:36 PM PDT
Angie.
Not a fair fight.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:08:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 8:20:01 PM PDT
In my not-so-humble-opinion, Julia *crushes* both "I Will" and "Angie". The latter two songs are nice and pretty; as Jeff says, "I Will" is short and sweet. Angie is graceful and quasi-epic. But neither song comes near to the fragile emotional depth of "Julia", which haunts even as its simple melody utterly enchants. As ballads go, it doesn't get any more special to me than that one--it touches the soul in a way the other ones don't even try to do. There's absolutely nothing wrong with pretty lightweight ballads and "I Will" and "Angie" are fine ones, but when I hear a heavyweight like "Julia", I *have* to give it its due.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 8:09:49 PM PDT
@Antediluvian Priestess: "Not a fair fight."

No, it's not, but not in the way you mean!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:10:40 PM PDT
Angie has feelings.
I Will has bubble gum.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:13:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 8:20:26 PM PDT
@Antediluvian Priestess: I'll grant that "Angie" has more depth than "I Will", but it still doesn't come close to the shattered emotions expressed and then transcended in "Julia".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 8:27:46 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Angie

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:37:58 PM PDT
I can appreciate your thoughts Michael. That's what makes music so special - the way that songs can touch us in such a personal way.

For me, I like love songs that are timeless melodically and yet come off "arbitrary" lyrically (they could be sung to anyone). As was often the case, John seemed to write more personally and direct (his love song is aimed specifically at Julia). But Paul's "I Will" could be sung to a Kristen, a Carrie, an Amanda, fill in the name of your choice. It comes off as more of a universal love song to my ears, while John's sounds a bit more somber to me. Though, granted, it might be more heartfelt from a personal experience.

But, like all these topics, it's always a matter of personal tastes. For me, "I Will" is the one I most wait for on side two.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 8:49:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 8:49:49 PM PDT
@Jeff: "It comes off as more of a universal love song to my ears, while John's sounds a bit more somber to me."

This is true enough--the true emotional depth of "Julia" is only fully apparent when you know who it's being sung to. So, yes, it is less "universal" as a ballad, and if that's what you prefer, then more power to you. However, since I do know who John is singing to, the song just floors me every time. The gentle hypnotic fingerpicking, the gorgeous melody, Lennon's extraordinary vocal which balances childlike feelings with unspeakable adult sadness...I can't see it fitting at any other place on an album than as a side-closer, since it's just such a heart-stopper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 2:07:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 2:10:30 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Angie is great. Julia wins. I like Julia more than I Will, but The Beatles will probably always win my vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 3:40:00 AM PDT
DKPete says:
I Will isn't a part of the thread but as long as it's been thrown in there, I think it wipes out both Angie and Julia. As far as which I would take over the latter two....when I first heard angie, I actually thought, "are they serious?"..there was something about it which came across as tongue-in-cheek...while the lyric-in terms of content-is heartbeakingly 'serious' with that heavy minor-chord melody of internal misery , it still came across to me as if Mick was having a good laugh over the whole thing.

Julia, on the other hand, always came across as 100% sincere both in terms of content and the way Lennon sang it.

All that said, I was never TOO crazy about either song, musically-they both work well within the context of their respective albums but as individual tracks I rarely go back to either one.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 4:33:11 AM PDT
I like all the songs. I Will is lovely little song. Angie is lovely also but much bigger in scope. In fact I like the few ballads the Stones have done. Always wished they had done a few more. But Julia is something special. Donovan taught Lennon the finger pickin syle and Lennon does a nice job with it. His vocal is amazing. So soft and vulnerable and yet full of powerful emotion. Yes, when you know who/Lennon is singing about, it's stunning. It takes a lot of guts to bare one's soul like that. It is the tender side of Lennon fully exposed. I always thought it was interesting too that that song may have contained the most telling line Lennon ever expressed in one of his songs. "When I can not sing my heart, I can only speak my mind." Julia is one of the most beautiful and underrated songs that Lennnon ever wrote.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 4:38:45 AM PDT
TC says:
Julia

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 5:41:18 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Jeff,
These 'matchup' threads are getting a lot of mileage and why not? Straightforward and fun...

This is a good one, since both songs SEEM so personal. 'Julia' always won for me on that level alone. 'Angie' is a great Stones ballad, but Jagger always seemed a chameleon to me. I don't think he EVER sang in first person no matter what the lyrics were. He was always cool and detached, and decidedly not the kind of man to wear his heart on his sleeve. As the '60s moved into the '70s and beyond that somehow became a liability.

When Lennon injected more first person pain into his music - I mean, other than the usually whining about women - it was a pretty brave thing to do in rock. It made Jagger's cool detachment seem kind of shallow at the time. But these days even burly athletes don't hesitate to whimper and cry on cue for the camera, so all that 'bearing your soul stuff' is more than commonplace - it's the default setting on most people. Jeez, enough with all the emoting already. Jagger's brand of cool is starting to look a lot cooler than it has at any time since he spat out the lyrics to 'Rocks Off'.

'Julia' still wins over 'Angie' for me, but just barely.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 7:16:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 7:17:21 AM PDT
Stephen, I have always felt the Stones did a ton of ballads.

As Tears Go By
Ruby Tuesday
Lady Jane
Wild Horses
Angie

Moonlight Mile
Winter
Fool to Cry
Beast of Burden
Let It Loose
Out of Tears
Memory Motel...etc

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 10:24:31 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I mentioned I Will because it was mentioned in the initial post.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 11:51:07 AM PDT
Angie

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 8:25:51 PM PDT
Severin says:
For me it's 'Julia'. I'm glad he didn't clutter it up with syrupy strings, he kept it simple, delicate, heartfelt and direct.

'Angie' is a great Stones song. Here's some interesting info on the song from Wiki:

Popular belief has it that the song was about David Bowie's first wife Angela or even about actress Angie Dickinson. Another belief was that the song was about Richards' daughter Dandelion Angela who had just been born.[4] The song was written almost entirely both lyrically and musically by Keith Richards and in Richards' own biography he claims that the name Angie is a pseudonym for heroin and his attempt to quit while detoxing in Switzerland.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:11:00 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Let me see...I'll take Silver Train over the one about the rollercoaster.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:19:42 AM PDT
RIZZO _*.*_ says:
Angie. Forever a classic.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:12:37 AM PDT
Prudence????

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 8:13:01 AM PDT
Severin says:
Do you mean 'Helter Skelter'? It's actually a fairground slide. Wiki has a picture of one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helter_skelter_%28ride%29

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 3:41:35 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Silver Train should have been on Exile..I'm not saying it was a leftover from those sessions, necessarily (although, it might have been); I'm just saying it would have fit beattifully onto that album...recorded SOUNDING like the songs on it as opposed to the flatness that overbears Goat's Head Soup.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions