Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:57:47 PM PDT
Cordo says:
The one on Powell and I think Ellis? I've gotten some great stuff there.

Wolfgangs vault is great. I head Kinks, Who, Moody Blues, Byrds (later edition), Burritos, ELO, a whoel bunch of things. these aremostly soundboard recordings just as the audience heard them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:58:31 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Cordo:
hasn't everyone been "converfted"???? i have....
(just teasing! we ALL make typing errors, I KNOW I do!!!! just having a bit of fun, that's all! hope you don't mind!)
love,
joyce

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:01:34 PM PDT
It's just downtown Davis to me as I don't know the street names there. I just to buy tickets for shows at the great Palms Playhouse (now long gone) across Interstate 80 on the other side of town. I went to half a dozen shows at The Palms in the ninties.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:05:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:10:48 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip and Cordo (and all other interested parties):
There is a "Rasputins" in Concord, CA, on Willow Pass Road, off of the Highway 680 freeway! If you are heading North (or East! the freeway makes several turns so i am not sure if it is supposedly North/South, or East/West!!!), or away from San Francisco, and towards Concord/Richmond, and ultimately, Sacramento), take the Willow Pass Road exit, turn right at the 1st signal light, and then turn right into the first driveway (into a parking lot) on your right, and you will see a small(ish) strip mall....go past the sporting goods store and Guitar Center, and a bit further down, on your right, you will see Rasputins! (Note: if you miss the 1st driveway to your right, and find yourself at another signal light, you have gone too far, but you can turn right at that signal light, and then right again, into the next parking lot you see, and you will be there anyway!)
Hope this helps, especially you, Philip!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:07:06 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Cordo and Philip (and All):
haven't been to the SF one, nor the one in Davis or Sacramento, but go quite a bit to the one in Concord. will check out the SF store as well! Thanks!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:08:50 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip:
didn't know about the one in Newark...where is it, or "was" it, not sure which!!! LOL!! stores seem to appear and disappear so rapidly these days!
love,
joyce

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:09:57 PM PDT
Thanks EvenSteven. Very cool. Love the uniqueness of that early sound. Before you told me i thought it was all about shredding the speaker with a razor blade. Very cool sound by Dave.

Rasputans is all over the place. Ameba is in SF , LA and Berkley. Rasputans in Berkley is one i frequently visit. Haven't been to any other Rasputans. These two places are great to just browse. Which i do weekly.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:12:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:12:31 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Anthony:
where is the one in Berkeley?? Is it on University or Telegraph???? btw, I know Berkeley quite well!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:17:37 PM PDT
Thank you, Joyce ~

I'm taking my wife to San Francisco tommorrow and we are gonna see a Greg Lake show at the Regency Center on Van Ness there. We come home on Monday but, a stop in Concord at Rasputins would be handy to distance me from some of my money.

If we go down to the store on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley we would spend a ton more money with the street vendors in that town....

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:17:46 PM PDT
Telegraph. There used to be four great, huge stores all within a couple blocks of each other a very short time ago. Tower Records, Leopold Records, Ameoba and Rasputians are the only two left. All four were huge and fun to shop at. Plus Codys books was a huge library like book store that is now recently also gone.

Yea Joyce it's fun to just go between the two and be surprised by something you didn't expect.

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:20:26 PM PDT
Should have seen it in 1971 it was plenty crazy down there!

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:24:57 PM PDT
Right On! Philip! I was three years old then so i missed it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:29:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:38:50 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip:
this is so true! also, many visitors i have had that are taken down to Berkeley to "just walk around" or see the sites have expressed "fear" of the many and assorted street people. I guess i am just more "used to it", having so much experience with Berkeley myself! i guess it is all in what you are used to!
yeah, so remember, 680, Willow Pass Road exit, right at the first light (Willow Pass), and right into the first driveway (parking lot), or alternatively, down to the next signal light (sorry, don't know the name of this street!), right again, and then right again, into the next driveway/parking lot......you can't get lost, as you can see "sportsmart", "guitar center", and "rasputins" from Willow Pass Road, if you look to your right, after you have made a right turn at the first signal light on Willow Pass! Have fun, and try not to "overspend", if you can, and if you can't, have fun anyway!!!!
love,
joyce
p.s., will swing by the one on Telegraph in Berkeley, one of these days soon....is there still an Ameba Records there, or did they close???

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:33:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:39:55 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Anthony:
thanks for the info, and that answers my other post to you about if Ameba (sp??--sorry) is still there or not!
re: Cody's Bookstore: OMG, i practically LIVED in there, and was absolutely CRUSHED when they closed their doors! They had been there for many, many years, and I was surprised, but supposedly, they got ripped off A LOT, and also, such is the fate of many bookstores/retail stores these days, unfortunately.
yes, it is fun to go down there and just walk around....however, parking sucks, and you pretty much have to either get lucky, or (and this is me, most often!) park in one of the parking garages and pay! ditto for SF!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:36:44 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip:
if you mean "Berkeley", I DID see it in 1971!!! have "seen" it since the 60's!!! such changes! has also gotten quite a bit dirtier, in my opinion (garbage and stuff lying around, etc.), but it is still fun to go down there and walk around! I mean, it is Berkeley! it is what it is, you know?
btw, much change in San Francisco too! LOTS more homeless/street people, and is also dirtier too, not to mention many stores closing down!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:37:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:45:28 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Anthony:
unfortunately (age wise) for me, I wasn't, and I didn't!!!! However, it was still an awesome experience; that's for sure!!!! glad i didn't miss it, but wish i could now subtract a few years (or 10 or 20, or 30......LOL!!)!!!! guess you can't have both!
love,
joyce
p.s., likewise, for SF!!! Really something to see, in the 60's, with the whole "peace/love/hippy/drug" scene! I still love it, but i love big cities! NY is my ABSOLUTE FAV; probably because I live on the west coast! IT IS AWESOME, and I go there, whenever i POSSIBLY can (try to go at least once a year, but can't always do so!) not overly fond of L.A., but the beaches are nice, as well as some of the sites.....

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:52:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:59:15 PM PDT
Joyce ~

Now I feel old.....
Yup I was in High School then and we used go there to find cool records, books, comix, posters and t-shirts. Couldn't find the first King Crimson record in my one-horse town but right inside Leopold's there it was (and the second album as well!) Records were sold in Long's Drugs and Walgreens in my town while those lucky hippies in Berkeley had infront of them (gasp!) record stores! Remember Head Shops?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:28:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 3:36:50 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip:
yes, indeed i do! I think there are still some of those, but maybe less obvious/conspicuous!!! LOL! Have you been to Haight/Ashbury lately???? A ghost of it's former (and awesome!) self, but still quite fun to just park somewhere and walk around, and in and out of the shops!!! took my friend there, when he was visiting (from Brooklyn, NY), and we had such fun! There are still some "questionable" items for sale there as well!! being a HUGE "city girl" myself, I LOVE Berkeley and San Francisco, and being a "hippy girl" at heart/soul, and quite into the whole "peace and love" thing (some things, you never "outgrow"!), they are two of my fav places to go! I am not afraid of much either, so all of the street people, and being "accosted" or whatever does not frighten me, nor keep me away! I also am used to disenfranchised folks, and poverty, having lived sometimes in, and sometimes just near, both, all my life, so I am quite comfortable with all types, colors, etc., and actually, quite the contrary, enjoy everyone....i don't really care who they are, or whether they have a home or a job or whatever either; everyone is interesting to me!....I am not afraid, and can get along, and/or blend in, with any crowd, and make my own fun or have fun, no matter where i go! All of these qualities can come in quite handy, at times!
thanks for the post!
love,
joyce
p.s., i was in grammer and junior high school then, so I too "feel old"!!!! I can completely sympathize/emphathize with you!!! what are you gonna do, you know?

Posted on May 18, 2012 4:06:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 4:14:18 PM PDT
Joyce ~

About 15 years back I was living in Fremont in the south bay area and my nephew wanted to go over to Haight-Ashbury to check out a record store he liked there. We went over there and (I hadn't been in that part of SF in decades) the store was closed and there wasn't much left to look at as it was in the process of dying and really run-down. But up the hill to the south of Haight Street there was a really fancy upscale Yuppie-type area that was worlds away from what was decaying downhill.
This would have been around 1997 and I haven't been back.

If people don't know what I mean when I mention: "street-vendors" in Berkeley they have to have a license from the city to sell their wares (not the dope dealers that wander around Telegraph Ave.) and my wife likes the jewelery and rock (not music...rocks) ladies that are there.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 4:39:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 4:41:29 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Philip:
i lived in Fremont myself, for a time (end of high school, beginning of college), so i know exactly where you mean!
As regards SF, you should take a ride out there some time, just for fun, when you have some time to kill, and walk in and out of shops, go to "famous addresses from old" (Jerry Garcia's old place, Janis' old place, etc....), and just spend an afternoon! It is quite fun! Not what it once was, this is true, but still fun, all the same, just to walk around, look around, and just "dream"!
When i spent the day there with my friend from Brooklyn (NY), that was around 2 years ago, so haven't been really recently myself, but have been to SF, in general....
Regarding Berkeley (or "berserkly", as we are fond of calling it!) There is more going on on the weekends in Berkeley (on Telegraph and/or close to campus (UC Berkeley)) than during the week..., but i also enjoy going there and walking around some.....sometimes, I go during the week, when my kids are in school, just to walk around, browse, and get some sun, or perhaps enjoy a good lunch!
Thanks for the post!!!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 4:51:15 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
Yes I knew you were teasing!
Particular? Me ? About spelling and so on?
It's funny how I've never really noticed, before!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:07:32 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
that is funny! i think you may have missed your calling, and should have been an English teacher!
lol!
glad you realize i'm kidding, AND that you can take a joke!
:)
love,
joyce
p.s., don't change though! you are "perfect" to me, as is!

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:14:29 PM PDT
I've loved this thread and any other Kinks-devoted talk there has been on Amazon US. Makes me even more prouder than usual to be English as it's great that a singularly quirky little band from an obscure North London suburb can be properly understood and have so much affection bestowed upon them from so many people who dwell in the world's far-flung corners. I am not being patronising - it genuinely gives me a warm glow and I like to think that even the Davies brothers could afford a 'yes, we did it' smile while reading it (while hopefully giving each other a hug). Keep it up and GOD SAVE THE KINKS!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:15:41 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
Aw, gee.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:16:41 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear S.C. Harrison (and Mitch):
here, here! i'll second that (e)motion!!!! so will Mitch, right, Mitch???? (hey!)
love,
joyce
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 75 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1855
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions