Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis Presley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:19:52 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Starman

I have to work tomorrow too, but fortunately I have to be at work at 4:30 pm. I hate mondays too, as well as getting up early. I love the second shift.....well, if I HAVE to work I do. lol!

You have a good night and tomorrow too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 1:19:44 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Gena....As much as I like Elvis. I wouldnt name him in my top list of favorites. I dont know iow far dowm the list he would be. I like many artists/bands. I do have quite a few of his albums and some dvds. 'Follow That Dream' is ome of I think 3 of his movies I have on dvd but I have most of his movies on vhs from taping off tv in the eighties and ninties. Most of them are enjoyable though many are lighthearted and some even silly. Maybe we need more like that as opposed to some of today's hollywood garbage. That's just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:14:54 AM PDT
The song is on RCA/Camden 1970 Lp, ALMOST IN LOVE, and on GUITAR MAN on RCA/Victor from 1981 or thereabouts.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:16:47 AM PDT
I think (cue "Theme from Jaws" "...dunn, dunn, dunn, dunn...") that someone wicked, mean, and stoopid is slowly circling this thread. I spy a fair amount of neg votes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:53:15 AM PDT
I think the ghost of EF is still stalking us, Son of Flinstone. SMH

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:57:35 AM PDT
I have both Elvis and Beatles Lps filed in my misc rock 'n' roll section. Important, but not the core of my interests. I'm a bigger fan of Jerry Lee Lewis and especially Carl Perkins more than Elvis. Perkins wrote a lot of his own material ("Pointed Toe Shoes" and "Restless" are killer songs) and played a mean guitar lead. Presley started out just GREAT on Sun and the early RCA songs before, ugh, having the Jordanaires whitebread "boone" his sound, well, maybe I should say "fisher" his pop sound. I actually like his '60-'63 singles' recordings moreso than his post-"Heartbreak Hotel" '50s songs. His '50s ballads, well, not very good (uh, well, worse than not very good; whiny and pathetic on the slow stuff comes to mind); he hadn't matured his vocals on the slow songs. If I have any reservations about the 1960-63 rockers, it's that they're too tame, held back, restrained.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 7:03:08 AM PDT
He's probably cutting the eye holes out of a fresh paper bag for his comic act. (Recall the Gong Show's Unknown Comic)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:01:38 AM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
They are a fun band. :) Musically diverse, too -- from power-pop and garage-rock to just weird, unclassifiable stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 11:14:17 AM PDT
I guess it was the eclectic type of songs that They Might Be Giants play, that felt so engaging to me. A band that has a wide range of ability has always been an attraction for me. I wonder if they have any concerts available on DVD? I'll have to check it out on Netflix or Amazon. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:07:04 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
No concerts that I know of, but there's a documentary called 'Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns)' -- the DVD has loads of great extras, including live performances (such as "Birdhouse in Your Soul" on 'The Tonight Show' in 1990, and a few numbers from their Polish National Home concert in 2001).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 1:44:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 7, 2012 5:47:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 3:07:53 PM PDT
I don't think Lennon made bad music for the most part.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 3:34:31 PM PDT
DKPete says:
At first I was seeing the point D. Mok was making as far as comparing Lennon/Beatles to others in terms of so-called stage-craft or stage presence; but then he took the whole thing in another direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 4:51:34 PM PDT
I think it is EF-syndrome...he doesn't dislike the artist as much as he dislikes the people who do...especially when he is in the minority spot.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 5:07:28 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> he doesn't dislike the artist as much as he dislikes the people who do

What makes you think you matter enough for me to dislike you? Narcissistic, much?
I don't know you and you don't know me.

Besides, one of my biggest influences as a singer and songwriter happens to be a massive John Lennon fan: Bono.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:30:04 PM PDT
DKPete says:
ML, although I'm not agreeing with everything D. Mok says, let's not stoop so low as to even put him and a know-nothing blabbermouth like EF in the same sentence.

D.Mok states his opinions quite powerfully but with substance; much like our friend MiBo.

EF......good god, don't get me started, brother!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:23:22 PM PDT
I believe their songs are on a "music" VHS video of a cartoon show based on Warner Bros. characters--Babs Bunny and Buster Bunny come to mind. A series of spoof cartoon videos. "Particle Man" and "Constantinople" come to mind. Other songs were Barrett Strong's "Money," the Contours' "Do You Love Me," and Aretha Franklin's "Respect."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 8:28:20 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Music Luver -- agreed. Lennon's work in the Beatles was tremendous, his early solo work (nearly) equally so; his mid-years didn't do much for me, but I liked a lot of "Double Fantasy" and the leftovers that made up "Milk and Honey" too.

But... I guess my point was, conceding DMok's opinion that he made nothing but really boring and poorly written rock music, is that any reason to hate the guy? I'd say no, but... that's me. D Mok seems to find any excuse to take a thread on to John Lennon and then hammer him like he's William Hung or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 9:05:54 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Yep. :) Also, the 'Tiny Toon Adventures' clips of "Particle Man" and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" can be found on TMBG's video compilation 'Direct From Brooklyn.'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 9:10:43 PM PDT
Actually no, this is true, EF is an out and out troll and Mr. Mok just seems to have a very strong opinion, however, the feelings he has for Lennon seem way over the top. Almost personal. Especially seeing how he admires one of the most ego centric rock musicians on the planet. "I love me, who do you love" Bono.

D. Mok, what is it about Lennon you despise so much? If you would care to share that is? But please detail it a bit more than "boring".

And I'm not narcissistic at all. But I have worked with, gone to school with, and been in bands with people who hate certain artists just because it seems that they are popular with certain people they don't particularly relate to let's say. We'll leave the dislike out of it.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 9:23:45 PM PDT
Earl Millard says:
I'm A Fan But I'm Not Shallow Enough To Believe Everyone Does

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 9:24:00 PM PDT
Earl Millard says:
I'm A Fan But I'm Not Shallow Enough To Believe Everyone Is

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 10:45:25 PM PDT
I prefer to leave my rage and gorge rising to the song stylings of 1977+ Kenny Rogers and post-'55 Eddy Arnold. Oh, pew.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 1:28:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 7, 2012 1:35:28 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 1:30:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 7, 2012 3:08:04 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 133 12 minutes ago
Stuff some poop down my esophagus 1 35 minutes ago
I admit it! I enjoy the musical stylings of Meade Skelton. 1 40 minutes ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 5018 50 minutes ago
Alicia G Hot New Single Ca$h & Nap 0 1 hour ago
Forget the Charts: Rank Your Favorite Songs by Any Artists 261 1 hour ago
Harry Nilsson 36 2 hours ago
SRI Records Celebrates Harry Nilsson's 75th Birthday With "Dream On Nilsson" 0 2 hours ago
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 6132 2 hours ago
Apple kills the Ipod! Will this affect your music listening in the future? 76 2 hours ago
kendrick lamar 0 4 hours ago
Musical Diary 3466 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  85
Total posts:  2095
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions