Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:11:56 PM PDT
Wolfgang's Vault has the show from the Sleepwalker tour in February 1977, and I was lucky enough to attend that show AND the one that took place the night before at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. As crazy 19 year-olds, we had bought the tickets to the show in LA, which turned out to be the night we needed to drive up to Berkeley to officiate at a Speech & Debate event. Well, we went to the show, drove all night to get to the Bay Area, and of course were too exhausted to perform our duty at the tournament. Someone mentioned that the Kinks were playing in San Francisco that night, and we said "We're going again!". We managed to score some tickets out front (along with some bunk hashish) and saw the same show again, but it was still great! The recording on WV is pretty good, and so is the show. Well worth a listen!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:18:07 PM PDT
Cordo says:
To me, that's an odd stance for Ray to take. I understand GLKA was withdrawn after a few months due to Ray's unhappiness with it. A bucketful of people have it, however, so those two songs have already been released on vinyl. Why not allow them to come out on CD? They're good songs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:19:29 PM PDT
Anthony--I am totally with you on the sublime nature of the Lola album. With humble nods to the likes of Face to Face & VGPS, the Lola album is my favorite by far. I don't want to kick off a debate on "the best Kinks album" or anything like that, but I just am so glad to hear someone else step out front and declare it for Lola. Great concept album, great riffs, and an unbelievably great batch of songs. My favorite Kinks record, with those other two only micro-shades behind....

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:44:17 PM PDT
Harvey, thanks for the acknowledgmet of my whim. They have lots of great records. But also can be a mixed bag on their records. I have the singles collection from the 90's that picks from lots of their career. But the double record collection from years ago was also great. I love Face To Face, Arthur, Something Else too. But even their first record (that is one of the greatest record covers of all time!) just set the tone with songs i love with all my heart and some not so much. The Kinks record by record are truly a mixed bag in my opinion. Long live the Kinks!!!!

I think it would be cool too have people chime in , or start a new discussion on favorite Kinks record, good question, ripe for discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:01:26 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I think my favorite still is Face to Face. It was the album that converfted me. I had liked The Kinks, especially the big beat hits, but not enough to buy an album. On a whim I bought Face to Face. "Party Line" was interesting, but after "Rosie Won't You Please Come Home" (Rosie was one of Ray and Dave's older sisters who emigrated to Australia with her husband Arthur, yes, that Arthur) I was hooked. I don't know if it was Pete's descending bass line or Nicky's harpsichord or the melody or lyrics, but it was all over for me. "Session Man" (a playful jab at Nicky), "Most Exclusive Resdience for Sale," and "Rainy Day in June" are standouts for me. Of course, any album that has "Sunny Afternoon" is by definition worth listening to. Yes, it's a bit of a transition album, containing "You're Looking Fine" and "I'll Remember" as it does. It also presages the glories to come on "Something else" and VGPS" and Dave's contributions make it really a Kinks album. Those three albums are, I think, The Kinks' peak. Three albums in a row without a dud among them. I like "Sleepwalker" and "Phobia" and if the truth be known there isn't a Kinks' album I don't like, but Face to Face for me is special.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 1:20:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:08:33 PM PDT
Golden Hour Hour Vol 1 was in stereo, for most part, maybe all of it.
It included the not so good, in my view, stereo mixes of 'Days' and 'Wonder Boy' opening the album.
Volume 1 hasn't been released on CD.
Volume 2 did get a CD release, but not titled Volume 2, and a different cover was issued. The track listing was the same.

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:54:25 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Last night listened to Low Budget(1st time in about 6 months)....what a great effin album....I just wanted to mention that!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:00:24 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
You can pretty much say that about them all!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:51:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 10:53:49 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Cordo...Your a person of my own heart...I feel the same way...they are my favorite musical entity in the world...The quality from Kinda Kinks to Muswell Hillbillies(8 albums)is second to no one! Their catalog is full of riches that most bands just dream about...their solo albums BTW are terrific to
-The UPC Code-
-Chosen People-
-Bug-
-Live at the Bottom Line-
-Other Peoples Lives-
-Working Man's Cafe- are all terrific albums.....
Their contribution and influences to other artists can't be denied!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:09:58 PM PDT
I always thought 'Kind Kinks' to be underrated, unfairly maligned. I like it a lot.
It was certainly a better album than their debut.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:48:36 PM PDT
Joyce says:
My Dearest Bernard:
Did you mean "Kinda Kinks"?????? :) Caught ya'!!
:)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 7:47:44 PM PDT
I don't think Bernard meant "Kinda Kinks" any more than Cordo meant that Face to Face "converfted" him....

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:31:15 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Harvey:
yeah, you know! "Converfted"; when two things are brought together!
(just teasing!!! both of you!!! :)
love,
joyce

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:09:00 PM PDT
Nate s. says:
Bernard:
Went thru my collection, found Arthur and the song drivin'. Thanx!

First off, love "Lola", and the story behind it from (Storyteller) i believe. And has anyone said anything about "Give the people what they want" this one ranks right up there with me. The span between Give the people... and think visual, holds good memories. Including Ray's solo the sound track to "Return to waterloo". I wish it would have been all new songs though. I also like the way Lola works into the song "Destroyer"

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:52:39 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I am on Cloud 9. I am on a business trip to San Francisco, California. I stopped in at Rasputin Records and scored a copy of "Here Comes the Groove." OK, sappy title, but it's the entire July 14, 1974 (Bastille Day) show at the Hippodrome in Golders Green, London, a few songs from which appeared on "Live at the BBC." There are several songs from Preservation Acts 1 and 2, plus "Lola," "Victoria," "Here Comes Yet antoher Day," "Dedicated Follower of Fashion," and a medley of "Skin and bone/Dry Bones." I don't have a CD player with me, so I am anxious to get home and put it on. On the cover is the picture from Act 1 and what looks like an outtake from the photo session for Act 2 with The Kinks and the girls but minus the horns. Gosling looks rather like the Dirty Vicar from Monty Python, and Avory looks like the proverbial "strong as an ox and not nearly as bright" muscle. The CD came out in 1999 on the "Hatred Brothers" label, which I suspect was a private level of Ray and Dave's. They are pictured in the studio on the back.

I also scored a 2-CD set of two Who concerts from 1999, held in Chcago's House of Blues and at the Empire theater in Shepherds Bush, London, their home. I have another one from 1999, "The Vegas Job." I am going to have a good British Invasion wallow when I get home. I last saw The Who in 1999, and they were fabulous. Townshend is known for his guitar pyrotechnics, but Entwistle on bass was northing short of amazing. He was so amazing, he was amazingly amazing (for you Hitch-hiker's Guide fans out there). At times, his fingers plucking the strings were almost invisible, they were moving so fast. How they avoided leaving his hands althogether and just flying off, I don't know. I am glad I got to see him that one last time. He died on June 30, 2002, just before they came to Sacramento again on July 4. I didn't get to go to that show, but I do have a recording of it. Pino Palladino is good, but he isn't Entwistle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:34:07 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I got the maxi-single at the time with both "Low Budget" and "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" stretched out to well over 5 minutes. The CD re-issue, has the full-length "Superman" as a bomus track but not the full-length "Low Budget." That's a shame, because Dave's guitar work really drives that track. I can see why Ray spread Dave's sound over all the tracks instead of having it left, right or center. It makes for a greater impact. I read somewhere that "Around the Dial," which appeared on "Give the People What They Want," was recorded for "Low Budget" but left off the album.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:58:13 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
Oh dear!
Let's say the mistake was intentional, checking to see if readers are paying attention, see how awake they are!
Am I telling the truth here??
I'll let posters decide!

Posted on May 18, 2012 12:21:31 AM PDT
Nate s. says:
"Low budget" really rocks, should have included it along with my prior post. "Catch me now im falling" and "Moving pictures" great stuff!

Posted on May 18, 2012 11:38:55 AM PDT
Cordo i live right near Rasputins. Nice score on the live show i've listened to a few cool Kinks shows on Wolfgangs Vault.

I agree about Entwhistle just so fluid, floats over the strings. The perfect compliment to Townsends more staightforward style. I always thought the band Free shared this dynamic too.

Posted on May 18, 2012 11:41:26 AM PDT
I wonder if Rasputins is still alive in Newark, Ca?
You can find used CD's in that place real cheap....

Posted on May 18, 2012 11:57:50 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Hey Anthony,

Re your ? about the legendary "fart box"....as I understand it (as told in Kink or X ray), Dave basically fashioned some sort of input & output jack to an old radio to plug his guitar into & it actually worked. This was primarily used as a home device for dave or ray to practice on. The device (fart box) was later used to overdrive the bigger studio amp (most likley a vox, selmer or marshall) to get the fuzzed or overdriven sound unleashed on "You Really Got Me"....the "fart box" was essentially a proto type overdrive box make shifted from an old radio. I dont remember if the radio was tube driven or size speaker.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 12:10:17 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
O.k., let's say that! I'm game!
You know i am teasing you, right???? I could care less how many mistakes you make...I love you just the same! As long as i can figure out what someone is trying to say, i really don't care about mistakes....I just assume they don't wish to bother with correcting it....I think everyone here is intelligent, and intelligent enough to realize they have made some spelling errors; it's just not important enough to them to change it, and that's fine! I am just more an. retentive then most! Also, i make my fair share too, so I am not the one to criticize!
NO PROBLEM!! Was just teasing you, and thought it was funny, cuz i know how particular you are about spelling errors!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:49:51 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I don't know. Have you ever been converfted?

I am typing on a netbook (and on a train at the moment). Never thought I'd miss that 8% of keyboard, but my fat little fingers do have mis-taps. the rocking of the train doesn't help, either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:54:33 PM PDT
Cordo says:
I know there's one in Stockton, Cal., of all places. Don't know about Newark, Cal.

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:56:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 1:57:47 PM PDT
Cordo, it opened in like 2000 so I don't know if it has survived. Armadillo Records in Davis is a very cool store and that one was still alive the last time I was through there.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1855
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  9 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions