Customer Discussions > Music forum

Revolver, Yesterday and Today, Beatles Again

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 86 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:57:56 AM PST
bass boy says:
I would love to have a Yesterday and Today and Beatles Again/Hey Jude on CD. I'd pay full price for each disc, despite their short running time, just to have those LPs on CD with remastered (but not overcompressed/overly harsh) sound, cool artwork/CD booklets and sturdy jewel cases. I'll always prefer the original British catalog of albums, but I have a soft spot for Y&T and BA/HJ. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:58:43 PM PST
I bought the Audio Fidelity versions of Alice Cooper's Love It to Death and Killer. Frankly Love It to Death had no improvement over the WB disc (which sounds fairly poor), but Killer did sound better though not hugely. And LItD comes with the original "thumb" cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 2:29:39 PM PST
I don't have any of the gold disc that you are talking about. I am about to receive my first. The Close To The Edge re-master is on gold disc. I have several SACD disc which are sonically impressive. I have not been disappointed by a single one. These disc appear to be the color of gold on the digital side. They might be the same product. I am going to look into that. I do not like noise reduction when it cleans the music up to the point that it loses its punch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 2:21:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 2:22:32 PM PST
That is insane. Check out HigherFi.com. They have a pair of speakers that cost 500,000 each. I am not kidding, a half million each. A bargain of 1 million for the pair. How good could they possibly sound to justify that price?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 2:15:28 PM PST
I'm perfectly happy with my Audio Technica ATPL-120 and stock cartridge, ATPN-2. Oldest on my set is my Radio Shack speakers from 1978.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 2:12:10 PM PST
We get Stereophile every month and the prices are an outrage. You can get a turntable for $50,000 and that does not even come with a tonearm or cartridge. Those are seperate. So that is say $8,000 for a needle, $5,000 for a tonearm. Another $4,000 for a phono pre-amp. $400 for a record washer. Another $3,000 for cables. Add $1,000 for a power cord and another $2,000 for a power conditioner. And don't forget anti-vibration feet for the turntable, another $300. It is insane.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:00:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 1:18:57 PM PST
Geezerguy says:
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:53:41 AM PST
Daniel E. White says:
SA, Thank you so much! 27,000 for a pair of speakers sounds like a bargain to me! No really, great website that I was not aware of. The new Infinity Prelude is right up my alley. How did you know that I was looking to upgrade my speakers? Thanks again...

OK, Daniel. Sounds as though you are a true audiophile. I asked you earlier about the DCC Gold disc of Ram. I understand that you haven't heard it. However, I am interested to know if you have heard any of the DCC or Audio Fidelity gold discs. I ask because in a previous post you seemed to disparage noise reduction. I seem to have read an interview where Steve Hoffman claims to not use any noise reduction on his remasters. He says that if you can hear some hiss, you know things are OK. If you don't hear any (on an analog recording) something is wrong. I don't have a great stereo, but it's OK. I also own several DCC and Audio Fidelity Gold Discs. Hoffman's remasters seem really "warm" and pleasing to the ears. Just wondering if you have any experience with his work and what you think of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:53:41 AM PST
SA, Thank you so much! 27,000 for a pair of speakers sounds like a bargain to me! No really, great website that I was not aware of. The new Infinity Prelude is right up my alley. How did you know that I was looking to upgrade my speakers? Thanks again...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:26:50 AM PST
Maybe you need this:

http://www.stereophile.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 7:34:29 PM PST
SA,

That is much more than a black box and it is extremely sexy! Love at first sight. I had no idea that Marantz was still making receivers of this quality...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:00:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 5:33:12 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Son of Flintstone:

I also have been tempted to dive into the newly mfg Beatles' vinyl catalog. Following are the reasons why I likely won't:

1-Price. $20+ for a single record with a playtime of about a half-hour on vinyl doesn't work for me. Not to mention $35+ for double record sets.....

2-Spotty quality control. Read the reviews here on AMAZON about poor centering, low quality vinyl, and noisy pressings.

3-My system. I'm not certain my system will deliver enough fidelity from newly mfg vinyl with updated mastering to be worthwhile. My preference is to buy used vinyl, mfg in decades past.

4-The 2009 cd's and Capitol Albums boxsets blow me away with their sonics. I have no need to invest more $, as I'm more than satisfied.

Some day, I'll likely come across one of these new vinyl releases, reasonable, and if it hits me right, I may try one. Longshot anytime soon.

All the best tonight,

GT

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:17:54 PM PST
I think Dr. Nemo would find this sexy.

Marantz SR7007 Home Theater AV Receiver

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:54:23 AM PST
I can't admit to having any affection with or for any black boxes...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:16:21 AM PST
I was none to happy when Past Masters 2 first came out, as I wanted Beatles Again instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:14:46 AM PST
You are an audiophile? Does that mean you find black boxes to be sexy?

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:11:24 PM PST
Visited a local record (used, some new) shop. Place is loaded with multiple copies of the new Beatles stereo vinyl, priced at $21.99 each. I'd like to pick up a few (few) titles, for the mono mixes, especially RUBBER SOUL. Maybe the Sgt. PEPPER mono. $33.99 and local sales tax for the white album, too ouch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:48:50 AM PST
Geezerguy,

I don't have that cd and I have never listened to it. I have the original lp, the 90 something remaster and this years deluxe release. I didn't get the one that has the mono remaster though. I am very happy with the version that I bought.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 4:40:01 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Daniel E. White says:
I will use Ram as an example. The noise reduction on the Mews remaster became detectable to me, when I could compare the cds through my computer system.

Do you have the DCC Compact Classics gold disc version of Ram? If so, What is your opinion of it?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:07:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:09:40 PM PST
Hinch says:
I just found an article that said the UA Hard Day's Night soundtrack was bought by Capitol and released in 1980. It remained in print throughout the life of the U.S. vinyl industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:40:17 PM PST
DKPete,

I'm not a vinyl collector anymore, but since you recommend it so highly, I WILL plan on upgrading to the Mono CD at some point.

Thanks for the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:30:20 PM PST
DKPete says:
Cyberian, I'm certainly not recommending that you put out all that money for a deluxe set just for the mono mix...but I have to share with you that the difference between the bootleg of the mono Ram compared to this remaster...no comparison. I don't know if you're into vinyl but the Lp is available out there on it's own. If you're still into records, this one is worth having for the upgraded sound quality aspect. As I've said, I actually prefer it to the stereo mix...but i would never have said that if all I had to go by was the quality of the bootleg.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:13:32 PM PST
Daniel,

As someone who grew up for years listening to AM on a Transistor Radio, my Audiophile Bar is set pretty low.

Obviously I've appreciated the sonic advances in stereo equipment in the 70s and in the CD era, but audiophile sound has never been an absolute necessity for me.

I was just always surprised by the harsh criticism of those 90s "McCartney Collection" Remasters and suspect that it was that criticism that kept them from ever being released here in the US.

I'm sure that, with the further advances in technology, the New Remasters run rings around those 90s issues. But, at the time, I just thought that they were an improvement over the previous 80s CDs available in the US and, for me, that was sufficient.

I'm still buying all of the New Remasters as they become available!

I already own a CD of "Thrillington", which was briefly available for awhile as a single CD, and I have a decent bootleg of RAM in Mono so I didn't feel the need to buy an expensive Box Set just for a sonic upgrade of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:53:36 PM PST
DKPete says:
Hinch, yes he is!! And without trying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:52:48 PM PST
DKPete says:
Daniel, I agree 100% on the CD vs. vinyl fidelity issue. This is why I get a laugh out of people who insist on building a definitive case of defense in absolute favor of one or the other.

As far as The Beatles vinyls, the majority of the "negatives" have been on the quality issues of the vinyl pressings themselves as opposed to the way the actual music sounds (although what many people seem to choose to ignore, is that the vinyl pressing flaws will ultimately affect the sound of the music even if they seem to "disappear" once the music starts).

At any rate, thanks for the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:44:27 PM PST
DKPete says:
Philip, I got it when it first came out...very nice package as these deluxe things go..but just to be straight, as they say...it's not a new mix-only a remaster-but a very good one.

Part of the set is the Thrillington instrumental version of the entire album. You may have read my comments on it a while back. In expexting, basically, nothing, I ended up enjoying it immensely. What intrigued me the most about these instrumental versions, is how cinematic McCartney's music is when you take away the vocal melodies.

The other highlight is the mono mix CD of the album. While not as blatantly different from the stereo version (like with some of those Beatle albums), it still is a unique mix (as opposed to a stereo fold-down) and, in my opinion, is more powerful and full-sounding than the stereo version. The differences in terms of the actual mixes (stereo/mono) come through depending as to how familiar you are with the original stereo album. But they are definitely there. In case you didn't know, this mono mix was made specificaly by Paul for AM radio airplay at the time.

As is par for the course with McCartney, the bonus material disc leaves you wanting more...alternate takes, mixes...but it is what it is....and for what it's worth, Another Day and Woman Oh Why sound incredible here.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions