Customer Discussions > Music forum

(Not one hit wonders, but) Albums with One Song that became so popular that it overshadowed the rest of the album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 20, 2013 4:01:26 PM PST
Paranoid
Led Zeppelin IV
Ace Of Spades

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 3:57:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2013 3:57:44 PM PST
a customer says:
L. A. Woman
Sympathy for the Devil
Hotel California

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2013 8:12:46 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
RE: This is a joke, right?

I laughed harder at that than I did at doodah's post

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2013 8:10:53 PM PDT
This is a joke, right?

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 7:03:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2013 7:34:07 PM PDT
doodah man says:
The rest of Abbey Road overshadowed by "Octopus's Garden", a fine song, but people, give the rest of the album a listen, there really are a couple of other tunes worth listening to!

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 3:35:23 PM PDT
B L T says:
"Tell Mama" - Savoy Brown "Street Corner Talking"
"Amie" - Pure Prairie League "Bustin' Out"

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 3:16:31 PM PDT
Working Man says:
"Fire and Water" from Free. "Alright Now" is one of the most played (or overplayed) songs in rock history and yet the whole album is great, especially the title track which might just be my favorite Free song.

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 1:54:49 PM PDT
a customer says:
sympathy for the devil
hotel California
l. a . woman

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:18:47 AM PDT
Big Country singing "Big Country" from their debut album "Big Country."

I always thought that was either the gutsiest move in rock history or the stupidest.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:06:24 AM PDT
tokolosi says:
Ten Years After -- A Space In Time. Track: I'd Love to Change the World

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 8:31:38 AM PDT
No Brakes - John Waite was dominated by his #1 single "Missing You" but contains several stellar tune. I submit for your approval "Restless Heart", "Dark Side Of The Sun", "Tears", & "Euroshima"

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:59:31 AM PDT
Miriam says:
I agree about the album, but I used to hear "Sand and Foam" sometimes. Maybe it hasn't been played recently - do classic-rock stations play anything that wasn't a hit single?

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:35:03 AM PDT
Donovan's Mellow Yellow. It's a fine collection of songs but Mellow Yellow is possibly his most famous song and the ONLY one you ever hear from that album. It's not even one of the best songs on the album. There is Sand And Foam, Writer In The Sun, Sunny South Kensington, Young Girl Blues and others.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 6:07:49 AM PDT
R. Long says:
Julian Lennon - Valotte (with "Too Late For Goodbyes"). Always thought that was a pretty solid little album. Of course, it never had a chance to succeed on its own terms, not with all the expectations heaped upon it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2013 8:28:56 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
The album "Marcy Playground" has "Sex and Candy" on it, but I actually like the whole album, although admittedly Sex and Candy is the stand out song, the rest of it can grow on you after a few listens.

"Everybody Knows this is Nowhere", by Neil Young. Cinnamon Girl is just the appetizer, then you get to "Down By the River", and "Cowgirl in the Sand".

"Talking Heads" More songs about Buildings and Food, yes it has "Take Me to the River", which definitely does stand out and is different than the rest of the album. Still like the rest quite a bit, I like the whole album.

Maybe the issue is the Ratio of how good the Best or popular radio aired song is, in comparison to the rest of the album? The one song shouldn't overshadow the other songs if the album flows well, and the other songs aren't way in another league.

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 3:22:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2013 3:22:49 PM PDT
tmoore says:
Many of the previous posts are decent albums once you get beyond the hits. In fact, for many of them, the big hit is the least interesting song to me due to overfamiliarity.

I can't speak for many albums before about 1975 since I wasn't listening to the radio then and can't speak for what was the "overshadowing" song. But here's one from 1978. I'll add Joe Walsh's But Seriously, Folks with the overshadowing song "Life's Been Good". It's been a long time since I listened to that album, but I don't remember anything else worth listening to besides "Life's Been Good".

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 2:22:18 PM PDT
a customer says:
Hotel California and L. A. Woman

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 8:41:32 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Queen -- A Night at the Opera -- Bohemian Rhapsody (esp. post Wayne's World)
Kansas -- Leftoverture -- Carry On Wayward Son
Rush -- Moving Pictures -- Tom Sawyer
Blue Oyster Cult -- Agents of Fortune -- Don't Fear the Reaper

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 8:38:01 PM PDT
Thunderclap Newman was a strange band of three musicians that released an album in 1969 with a huge hit single included entitled: "Something In The Air." The entire record is very good with the track: "Accidents" being my favorite selection found on this one. Pete Townshend, produced the record and played bass guitar on it and it's kinda strange in spots but an interesting record throughout.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:28:47 PM PST
Sharptop says:
Jethro Tull's Aqualung was over shadowed by the song Aqualung, and that isn't even the best song, a great album

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:13:37 PM PST
Comment Man says:
Always the song Big Country from the album Big Country by the band Big Country.

Couldn't even come up with another title.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:43:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 5:44:18 PM PST
The Talking Heads' "Take Me To The River", while a great rendition of the Al Green tune, overshadowed the greatness of "More Songs About Buildings and Food".
Similarly, "Life During Wartime" may make some forget how consistently good "Fear of Music" is. "I Zimbra" is actually my fave tune from that one.

But Side One of "Remain in Light" is so great that even "Once in a Lifetime" doesn't seem to dominate that album.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:25:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 3:05:34 AM PST
Kil Roi says:
"Rocky Mountain Way" propped up Joe Walsh's "The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get," but there are some real nice gems on that LP.

Ditto for Golden Earring's "Moontan" and its guiding light, "Radar Love." No clunkers on that album.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:19:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 3:07:47 AM PST
Kil Roi says:
All songs on the Ozark Mountain Daredevils' "It'll Shine When it Shines" are superb, including the overshadowing hit "Jackie Blue."

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:12:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:14:32 PM PST
Mister Husky ~

I was going to mention Focus but that album: "Focus Two" is excellent from start to finish and "Hocus Pocus" is indeed on there but it doesn't overshadow the greatness of that record (for me.) That album and: "Focus III" are as good as it gets.

Golden Earring, might have already been mentioned for "Radar Love" but again I find the single just as good as the rest of that wonderful record ("Moontan") as it's a classic from start to finish. It's an opinion on some of these songs as yes they were the singles but they came forth from some really strong LP's.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions