Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 224 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:50:04 AM PST
ronct says:
Bernard,

Except they constantly would break (due to the thinner tape need to fit the reels) when fast forwarding or rewinding unless one remembered to fix the tension (with a pencil) before doing so. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 12:22:47 PM PST
ravager814 says:
Glenn Yarbrough sang Baby, the Rain Must Fall. It is on YouTube. v=PsLqL8lDN80

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:43:42 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Awesome list Gramp's!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:15:41 AM PST
stevign says:
My choice would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKcQKQgM1I

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:09:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:34:28 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
re: "I will admit that without the song "Riders on the Storm", DJs wouldn't know what to play every time it rains."

Perhaps if they'd get creative. Here, let me help:
Rain-Beatles
A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall-Dylan
Who'll Stop the Rain?-CCR
Have You Ever Seen The Rain?-CCR
Rainy Day People-Gordon Lightfoot
Baby, The Rain Must Fall-?
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head-BJ Thomas (Even I don't believe I posted this one)
Love, Reign O'er Me-The Who (With the sound effects, this is the best replacement for Riders)
Walking In The Rain-The Ronettes
The Rain Song-Led Zeppelin

And so on.

GT

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:06:41 AM PST
stevign says:
;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:50:51 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Menudo isn't a bad Mexican holiday soup!Just add some hot sauce and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:46:15 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
Cool man!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:30:11 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "It gets me moving and shaking,"

Obviously Menudo leads to Parkinson's disease.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:28:06 AM PST
stevign says:
Ian:

The problem I have with studio compilations is that the song choices are made by someone else and not me. As bizarre as it sounds, they never even call and ask for my input, how stupid is that?!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:20:49 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "but it's a little hard IMO to paint all artists with the same wide brush."

That's why I didn't. Like I said, my "Third Album Jinx" theory only applies to "some" bands.

re: "How can we overlook Morrison Hotel and LA Woman and say they aren't up to The Doors and Strange Days?"

Simple, there is no "we" in the decision making process, my ghost writer won't allow it. I have all of their albums and I like them, but I still contend that the writing is just not as good as the 1st two albums. I will admit that without the song "Riders on the Storm", DJs wouldn't know what to play every time it rains.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:00:37 AM PST
stevign says:
When buying my 1st blank cassette tapes so I could transfer some of my albums to tape, I was warned by a few high-end stereo stores about 120-minute and metal tapes. They said both would be fine in a home unit but they put too much pull (stress) on a car's cassette deck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:54:45 AM PST
stevign says:
Grouchomarc:

re: "To me the 1st album is a culmination of yrs of writing songs and playing them live and in making demos"

That's my theory as well and I think it's only logical. If a band is talented and prolific enough, they may even come to the table with 2 albums worth of material already, or at least have a running start on their second one by the time the 1st one comes out.

re: "By the time for the 3rd album if it is warranted this artist/band is becoming more experienced with the process. They then sometimes come up with a more mature and all round product that identifies with who this artist/band are or will become."

I'm sure that is true for some (maybe most) bands but I have another theory. (everyone groans and heads for the exits). By the third album the band has recorded their very best and most original material, received more money than they ever thought possible, spent even more time touring and playing those first two albums and probably spent more time getting drunk, high and getting laid instead of writing new material.

Now the band's time is up and the studio is pushing for that 3rd album. What to do? This is where the studio offers their "expertise". It may come from the sound engineer who says "Let's try this" or "What if we do this?", in any case, the studio says "Hey guys, not to worry, we know what sells, let us work with you and together we can come up with something". This is where the band's sound now goes from original to formula.

re: "Stevign that's quite a list of killer albums you got there. Many of them helped shape my musical tastes and I can still enjoy them to this day"

Sorry about that. I knew not everyone would agree with my examples and most would probably think me totally bonkers for adding Led Zeppelin's third album to the list. In general the bloom was off the rose and although the band was still playing well, they moved away from the Blues-Rock format of the 1st two albums and I think their sound suffered for the change in content.

re: "Thanks for your very well rounded posts with feeling and those points that you put in from your experiences with a bit of bizarre humor. I welcome your input on this and keep up the good."

Thanks. The humor is all mine but I must admit to employing a ghost writer for all the rest.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/15958_o.gif

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:51:41 AM PST
stevign says:
ronct:

re: "I am a child of the 60's and I have moved away from albums for the most part. I suppose if I had a long commute I may listen to them more."

Me too. I have jobs that take me anywhere from a 1/2 hour to an hour or so to get to, so sometimes I do have the time to listen to an entire CD if I wish. That being the case, even when I like an entire CD I normally only listen to about 1/2 or 3/4s of it. Maybe it's that 60s conditioning, who knows?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:49:25 AM PST
I just happen to be listening to Menudo's greatest hits right now. It gets me moving and shaking, great for motivation as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:43:12 AM PST
stevign says:
lolol....Right next to my Menudo and Yoko Ono collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJz9Dh5MsM

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:10:37 PM PST
A customer says:
Exclusively. I HATE greatest hits compilations, because they almost always have the stuff you've heard a million times before anyway. The irony is that when I'm playing an album, the songs that would normally be on compilations are the ones that potentially get skipped.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:40:28 PM PST
gusula says:
You must have had much better audio equipment than what I grew up with. My cassette players were ALWAYS eating my tapes. Sometimes they'd bog down and when I popped them open, I'd get a small puddle of tape in my lap. More often the tape would get stuck under the rollers, and it would break as I was trying to unstick it - then I'd be left to try to carefully splice it together again. I still remember a Lillian Axe cassette with a dead spot in the middle of one song as the scotch tape ran over the playback head...

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:42:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:39:10 PM PST
I seem to recall that too much fast forwarding and rewinding from the middle of tapes was the culprit which made them jam, snap and tangle. That was the only time I had any problems with tape cassettes back in the day. If I listened to them all the way thru, there wasn't any problem.

There's 2 reasons why people don't buy albums anymore: 1. ADD from aspartame and other chemical food additives have made a generation with only enough attention span for the next text on their cell phones, and 2. A new generation of "instant stars" who just really have no talent outside of the occasional single. If they try to make an album, their shortcomings are magnified tenfold.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:39 PM PST
Hinch
I've heard about 120 min tapes tangling.
I don't seem to recall having the same problem myself.
Either I was lucky or I've forgotten the cases where it did happen.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:24:42 PM PST
I listen to full albums but then I almost only ever buy full albums. Plenty of real ones back in the day. It is easy to avoid albums with 2 good ones and fillers for the rest. Corvus Stone

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:15:58 PM PST
Andrew Claps says:
I almost always do. I can see why the Random and Shuffle features are so popular, but they're not for me. I grew up with vinyl, so I learned the discipline (and wonder) of sitting through an entire recording, even if all the songs weren't up to snuff. IMHO, that's largely been lost, but it's up to earlier generations like mine to teach the younger gens the power and allure hiding in a COMPLETE album or CD. At first I didn't have the patience to sit through an entire LP (possibly undiagnosed ADHD), but my oldest cousin, who was a roadie for Pat Benatar in the early days, taught me the rewards that awaited my patience in listening through. I'm VERY, VERY glad he did. The best music often requires patience and curiosity in the listener, and I don't see nearly as much evidence of that patience and curiosity as I used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:42:47 PM PST
I noticed at an early age that my cassette mixes sounded better than the store bought cassettes. The only difference was you could control the meters on the deck so my guess is that you were taking something with fantastic dynamic range (as old recordings did) and just pumped the volume up making them sound more robust while keeping the DR levels as they were.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:30:20 PM PST
I remember in about '73 or '74 I borrowed a guy's 8-track component deck that was primarily a player with a feature that let it record. It didn't have VU meters or anything other than a record button, not even a pause button.

I had just gotten a car that had an built-in 8-track and needed a couple of tapes of favorite stuff quick. When I recorded them I had to pull the cartridge out of the recorder between songs and put it back in each time and hit "record." I didn't do album sides, the first tapes were the first compilations I'd ever made and the idea of mixing my own tape was too much to resist so it was one song at a time. It was kind of a pain but worth it, and almost no one else around had tapes like that.

I know I should have made a move to cassettes at the time, but I felt limited by the player that was already in the car. The funny thing was that the compilations I made, even on the borrowed basic recorder, sounded much better than pre-recorded 8-tracks. And the gaps between tracks, always annoying, were only a second or two, though that made it miss a second or two of the song each time. It was too much work to try to time combinations of songs that fit exactly within each track without having gaps at the end that made you have to switch to the next track each time.

At the time, it was actually encouraging that the home-made tapes sounded so much better than store-bought. So much so that I went out and bought an Wollensak 8-track recorder, which ended up in the shop about twice a year for a few years until I finally made the switch and dumped using 8-tracks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:05:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:08:49 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Stevign:

Good points, and I mostly agree with you. I'm not familiar with all the artists' catalogs you mentioned, however some artists didn't start getting interesting until their third album. Examples:

1-Simon and Garfunkel (Paul Simon). If we count The Paul Simon Songbook, released slightly after Wednesday Morning, 3 AM, in England, as it's contents were songs that appeared on the first 3 S & G albums in their infancy, his 3rd release was Sounds of Silence. SOS was their breakout album, not a backward step. Parsley,..., Bookends, and Bridge ... followed, each better than the previous album.

2-Led Zeppelin. Their III album found the band adding acoustic and slow blues numbers, but they still delivered their heavy sound. IV followed, and Houses... was more refined, Graffiti delivered all their styles, and In Through... also had some heavy and "poppy" work. III was the first LZ album I bought, and is still my personal fave along with LZ II, which stands as my all-time fave LZ work.

3-Traffic. Your post prompted me to spin Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. The band morphed several times during their existence, all phases compelling to me. Their only albums that didn't really move me was Eagle When It Flies and the live ones. John Barleycorn is their strongest all through for me of that period. Glad. Freedom Rider. Empty Pages. Wow! My very fave Traffic album of all time is Far From Home.

4-The Doors. How can we overlook Morrison Hotel and LA Woman and say they aren't up to The Doors and Strange Days? Sorry, Stevign, but no sale here.

5-Bruce Springsteen. Didn't hardly get interesting until album #3-Born To Run. Although, I do love a few tracks on Wild, Innocent...

6-The Who. Many friends on these threads point to their third album, Sell Out, as their all-time fave. Mine would likely be Tommy, Next, Quad, or Numbers. Oh, not really, as it's Live At Leeds.

7-The Beatles. Release #3 in England was A Hard Day's Night, and we all know what came after.

8-Stones. Release #3 was NOW, actually a fave of mine, just not the world's. Release #4 was Out Of Our heads, which here in the USA, included a new song with a new sound-Satisfaction.

9-Moody Blues. release #3 was In Search of the Lost Chord. Numerous great albums followed.

10-Santana. I agree with you. Carlos ceased being very interesting to me after III except for a few assorted songs. If you haven't, score their 2-cd Live at the Fillmore, 1968 From The Vaults. It points to greatness about to be unleashed to the non-San Francisco public. Very exciting, IMO. Conquistadore Rides Again.

11-Ozark Mountain Daredevils.Had one-and-a-half good albums in them. Their first is timeless and OUTSTANDING. Jackie Blue is a good song, and a few tracks off albums #2 and 3 were so-so. I gave up afterwards.

More examples are there for both sides. I will cede that styles may have morphed somewhat around album 3, yet some artists can't win if they went a new direction, some fans and press would alternately shred and praise them, and some artists stayed true to their styles, and were praised and shredded also.
Bob Dylan is a good example.

All this to say, I agree with you somewhat, but it's a little hard IMO to paint all artists with the same wide brush.

Hope your night's great,

GT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions