Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

"Elvis and the Beatles stole from black music."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 566 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 18, 2016 12:04:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 18, 2016 12:04:23 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 3:32:15 PM PST
Well, at least James Brown didn't steal anything from black music.

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 11:31:13 AM PST
A. Strong says:
There are devils in Mister Toad's Wild Ride.

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 11:26:58 AM PST
BUMP!

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 8:32:44 AM PST
Dmitri says:
Dvorak stole from black music. Ever hear of the Symphony No.9 "From the New World?"

Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 "From the New World "

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 8:05:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 4, 2015 9:15:41 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 7:53:29 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 4, 2015 7:54:00 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 4:58:07 PM PST
zxsdsss

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 3:11:41 PM PDT
Geffers says:
Of course no one in any country thought Jagger was black because he was so inept at his impression of R&B/Soul singers .

What you have failed to realise is that Jagger does not sound English either ,no body here speaks or sings like him ,he was /is totally deluded . Why could he not sing those songs in an English accent ..Tom Jones ,Elton John , Rod Stewart etc sound British /English they did not have to take on a fake American accent but Jagger seemed to think that English with an English accent did not gel with driving R&B.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2014 2:33:39 PM PDT
mesa maestro says:
Sorry Geffers, maybe you have to be British to pick up on that. I'll give you another comparison and that will do it for me. Mick singing Bobby Troup's "Route 66" and Mick singing Marvin Gaye's "Hitchhike." The fact that he tries to emulate the arrangement does not mean that he wants to sound Black or White. It simply means he thinks the original is worth replicating. When you say he is trying to sound Black that means to me that he is trying on some level to conceal his race or to pay such great respect to the original artist that he is making an exact, or as close as possible, copy of the original. No one and I mean no one in this country ever thought that the Stones were Black. Now the Commitments were a different story.

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 1:47:16 PM PDT
Mick Jagger was flabbergasted by James Brown and was a huge fan.
There's a biography of James now playing on cable TV and Mick is listed as one of the Producers of the show and I can't wait to watch this one!

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 1:28:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2014 1:29:45 PM PDT
Geffers says:
mesa maestro.
I accept your argument up to a point but can you not see what every British Soul and R&B fan could hear was that Jagger tried to vocally imitate the black voices he heard on the original records of those that he so weakly copied . Some say he ended up with a mid Atlantic accent on his records [what ever that means ].

Jaggers version of Not Fade Away granted was originally by Buddy but it has a Bo Diddley beat and it is plain to hear that it is Bo's sound Jagger aimed for .

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 1:09:37 PM PDT
mesa maestro says:
Sorry Geffers just can't let an Englishman have the last word. Lol. If your extensive travels have uncovered no Blacks who sound like Mick Jagger sounded I would be curious to know why you are so sure he was trying to sound Black. Where do you suppose he heard that voice he was "imitating?" Maybe he was just creating a style of his own. If other English groups were trying to sound Black I would have to say they failed miserably. Where they succeeded was in choosing, for the most part, the right songs to cover. When Little Richard sang "Baby Face" he very likely chose a popular number that he felt he could interpret in a positive way. He was not trying to sound White. And when the Beatles sang "Anna," "Chains," "Boys" and "Twist and Shout" on their first album the same was true. I hear no difference in Jagger's voice when he sings a White Buddy Holly song, "Not Fade Away" as opposed to Chuck Berry's "Carol."

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 9:54:29 AM PDT
Geffers says:
Bill

I agree with you, as an Englishman to me it was quite evident that when British groups back in the sixties started to base their repertoire on music of African Americans ,far from trying to whiten the sound they actually in many cases tried to sound black .
Nothing proves my point more than the curious accent affected by Mick Jagger mistakingly thinking he sounded black . I have travelled to many parts of the USA and have many records by black artists and I have never come across anyone who sounded like him .

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 8:49:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2014 8:54:44 AM PDT
Bill Mobley says:
As an African American i do believe that black people created Rock, Jazz, and soul, But i do not believe that white artists who were covering black music (especially in the late 60's and early 70's) were trying to make it "whiter" so it would be more accessible to white people (which some white music critics have accused them of). When James Taylor sung "How Sweet it is To Be Loved By You" he was singing it because he actually liked and respected the song. Even a group like The Rooftops, who did "Walk Right In" was not singing it to make it "whiter," they simply liked the song, and found it fun. When Carly Simon and James Taylor did "Night Owl," they were doing it because they just liked R&B. Even the old folk group The Weavers, when they covered Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene" they were doing it because they thought it was a great song. To accuse these groups of trying to make these songs "whiter" is unfair. And yes they do sound white but duh...

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 2:29:30 AM PDT
fdetrrtt

Posted on Sep 1, 2014 7:13:11 AM PDT
ffddsss

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 8:37:13 AM PDT
ABRACADABRA!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 7:44:30 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "ESPECIALLY the mouth organ"

Think I'll listen to some Sonny Boy Williamson today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PhBryFuIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBBQQU2aKd4

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 12:27:48 AM PDT
Sam Clemens says:
ESPECIALLY the mouth organ...and the various abdominal organs!!!

Posted on May 11, 2014 7:41:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 11, 2014 7:44:22 PM PDT]

Posted on May 10, 2014 12:26:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2014 12:27:14 PM PDT
Yeah, I think conspiracy theories are convenient if you want to think of history and culture unfolding in a single straight line when it just doesn't. American music is a constantly shifting thing with genres informing each other and trading influences as they go. It's clear Elvis and The Beatles and just about every other genre have been touched by black music and this is nothing but a good thing, for the most part. Until you get to modern pop music trying to compartmentalize itself and retain labels like R&B or Country or Rock n' Roll when so much of it sounds like a soul-less amorphous thing that exists to get you to buy Budweiser and Big Macs and sounds nothing like what defined the genres. But these things are harmless enough. The only issue I really have against modern POPULAR music, if I can remember it at all after I've heard it is the sampling of exact parts from better recordings and writing new crappy songs around them. Or DJ culture in general, which just baffles me. Why listen to someone manipulate records when you can hear someone actually play instruments and give you an actual honest-to-god human connection? Here endeth the rant I didn't anticipate starting.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2014 12:13:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2014 12:17:52 PM PDT
Volsteimer97 says:
E. Dill wrote:

"Tab Hunter, made an offkey cover of Sonny James' "Young Love". I suspect only the true Tab fans bought his."
==============================================================================
==============================================================================
Hunter's version was number 1 on the Billboard charts for 6 weeks. He must have had a helluva lot of fans.

It ended up being the sixth biggest hit of 1957.

Posted on May 10, 2014 12:10:09 PM PDT
@Son of Flintstone: What the hell are you talking about? The "record industry" didn't "create" The Kingston Trio. They created themselves in 1957. They started out as a calypso band called Dave Guard and the New Calypsonians. That group morphed into the Trio. When Phylis Diller had to cancel an engagement in San Fran's Hungry I, the Trio took her place and the rest is history. The Trio initiated the "folk boom". Dylan, Baez, Collins, PPM and all of the others followed in their wake. They weren't "manufactured" at all...And they weren't purely "folk" either...

Posted on May 10, 2014 12:03:44 PM PDT
Blind Lemon Pie: "The Beatles came down here and right-out STOLE Penny Lane from me".

Blind Lemon Pie's Wife: "He lyin''.....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game - Part III 7724 26 minutes ago
1993: One Of Rock's Best Years? 220 39 minutes ago
When Did the Decline of Vocal Harmonizing Begin and Why? 5 1 hour ago
Alphabetized by a Specific Category, Four Songs at a Time 201 1 hour ago
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 6170 1 hour ago
Impulse purchases: CDs (albums) that make you feel like a sucker for paying retail price-- 6 1 hour ago
More fascinating threads. It's amazing this place (forum) is still open. How about we.... 654 1 hour ago
kendrick lamar 21 2 hours ago
Stairway to Heaven - Taurus - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly 13 2 hours ago
Top 40 Albums of 2016 19 2 hours ago
What are you listening right now? 2903 4 hours ago
Andreas Carlsson Becomes Advisor And Investor In Online Music Recording Studio Soundtrap 5 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  162
Total posts:  566
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions