Customer Discussions > Music forum

Happy 70th, Dave Clark...and a Few Questions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 8:47:07 AM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Happy 7oth birthday, Dave. That's a milestone too few musicians reach. Now, some questions:

-Why is there not a single Dave Clark Five CD currently in print? In fact, there have only been two official CD releases in the CD-era: 1993's HISTORY OF THE DAVE CLARK FIVE and 2008's THE HITS.

-I know that Dave finally released the DC5 catalog on iTunes, but have you checked the track listings? Many of them don't contain all of the original tracks. For example, the 1965 album COAST TO COAST had four songs ("I'm Left Without You," "Give Me Love," "Don't You Know" and "It's Not True") that are left of the mp3 download. Dave has replaced them with four different songs, including two B-sides from 1967 and 1968--"Good Time Woman" and "Forget." What's going on here? It's not a matter of U.S. versions vs. U.K. versions. Dave is simply randomly putting tack lists together.

-Here's another question: Why isn't the entire DC5 catalog available on CD? How many other Hall of Fame inductees have so little CD product available? I suspect that the only DC5 fans eager to buy them are the same fans who first bought them in the Sixties. We're not getting any younger, and I won't buy mp3 versions of the albums--especially if they don't have the correct track listing.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:40:11 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Steve, I see from this and other forums that you are a DC5 fan and, like me, bemoan the fact that Dave has released so little of his catalog. I don't know if you know about this, but I did come across a special broadcast on Radio NY International (an internet station) by a DJ known as Dave the Boogieman. The special is on the DC5 and has rarities and lots of songs I had never heard before. Not sure where Boogieman Dave got them, but they are really nice. I've included a link to his archives. You will see the DC5 show listed about half-way down the column. It is dated 2011-7-31. You should be able to download it for listening or to copy. I even made a CD of the material since I think it is so good. Dave specializes in "power pop" and broadcasts live Wed. and Sun. nights.

http://johnlightning.com/Boogieman/Shows2011/

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:52:27 PM PST
Hinch says:
Dr. Mikey

Thanks for the link! Cool stuff!

Happy birthday to Dave Clark!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:27:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 2:28:27 AM PST
Only Clark can tell you why the music isn't on CD.
And it's a shame because as I've said before, the best of the DC5 are not the well known hits but the 'B' sides, LP cuts, etc. I've got all of the US LPs and some UK ones on CD, but they're all bootlegs of course.
'Don't You know' from "Coast to Coast" is a catchy little tune.
And the B sides 'Good Time Woman' and 'Forget' are really good.
Crazy that these and others aren't readily available!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:55:44 AM PST
I was not aware it was Clarks birthday but happened to be playing The History Of Dave Clark Five. I was really enjoying the songs at the backend of the 2nd CD as many of them were simply lost to me through all the known hits. I agree the DC5 has been treated pretty crappy. I was lucky to find one CD that contained 3 of their albums. Glad All Over, Return and American Tour. I think it is made to LOOK like an import but is probably a bootleg. The sound is pretty good and as far as I know all the songs are there. I really got the CD for the Glad All Over album that I previously had on vinyl. I later found another CD like it. This one contained You Got What It Takes, Everybody Knows and 5 By 5. Once again, I got the CD for one particular album I had a vinyl, this one being 5 By 5. So I figured between 2 CD's I got 6 DC5 albums. But again, while they LOOK like some strange import they are probably bootlegs. There is a small glitch in Glad All Over as one track appears to be missing but it IS there but it comes up as one long track instaed of two short and seperate songs. I forget how much I paid for them, I kind of remember them being pretty reasonable so I am content for the time being but why Dave Clark has treated his catelog with such little respect is indeed hard to figure. If these releases are bootlegs, I would much rather have purchased the real thing with no screw ups and better quality liner notes. These CD's DO have liner notes and pictures but they look fuzzy. Another reason to think they are boots. So to Dave Clark and other unissued albums, PUT THE STUFF OUT and fans will buy it. At a fair price too thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:44:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 5:49:27 AM PST
I'm very sure they are bootlegs. I've the three on one CD albums you mentioned.
Those discs I purchased I thought - at first - were legitimate simply because I saw them on Amazon.
But boots they are.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:57:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 5:59:08 AM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Stephen,

Sounds like you have the DC5's THE COMPLETE HISTORY, vol. 1 and 4. I also have have vol. 2 (COAST TO COAST, WEEKEND IN LONDON, HAVING A WILD WEEKEND) and vol 3 (I LIKE IT LIKE THAT, TRY TOO HARD, SATISFIED WITH YOU). However, my CD's come with a 16-page booklet with terrific liner notes and replicas of the original album covers as well as 45 rpm picture sleeves--all in sharp crisp detail. Mine were printed in India and manufactured by Bits & Pieces Productions in the Czech Republic, copyrighted 1994. So, of course, these are bootlegs. As to your "fuzzy" pictures, maybe you have a bootleg of a bootleg. I would have rather bought legitimately released CD's, but I'm thrilled with what I have. Dave Clark may have all the money he needs, but if he released the DC5 catalog on CD, he could make even more. And let's face it, I think most of the DC5 fans out there are my age or older. When we're gone, the response to the Dave Clark Five will be Dave who?

Dr. Mikey,

I think we've exchanged DC5 comments before. It's always great to meet a fellow fan. Thanks for the link!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:00:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 6:01:23 AM PST
Some of those CDs can still be bought on Amazon.
Of them all, Vol. 1 might be the hardest to find.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:19:37 AM PST
Steve, sounds like you got a good DC5 thing there. The 16 page booklet sounds really cool. I love putting a CD on and reading the liner notes along with it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:10:05 PM PST
Dave Clark totally controls all the rights to the DC5's music, so why they are not available on CD is strictly his decision. He is also responsible for it being licensed exclusively to ITunes, and he is responsible for the song changes on particular albums. Many of the songs he has dropped from those albums tend to have one of two characteristics: either they are very poor almost childish songs (Doo Dah), or they are songs that sounded so much like Glad All Over one could wonder if Clark could have sued himself for plagiarism.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:28:23 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
My question is why there are no clips of DC5 playing live anywhere on the net?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:56:49 PM PST
Hinch says:
I don't know how true it is, but someone once told me he saw them live and they had musicians backstage covering for them. I believe all their tv appearances were lipsynch.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:46:34 PM PST
My older sister liked the Dave Clark Five but she liked Herman's Hermits better!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:41:23 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
BFD,

You may be right about Dave Clark being unhappy for whatever reason regarding the songs that he has deleted from some of the DC5 studio albums available on iTunes. However, I still like the warts-and-all approach to rereleasing albums. COAST TO COAST was one of the first five albums I ever bought. The track listing has been ingrained in my memory and it is part of the soundtrack of my youth. To leave out some tracks and add others is jarring. It's one thing to add bonus tracks; it's quite another to replace tracks.

Clark certainly has every right to fiddle with the track listing as he sees fit. I'm just disappointed that he has chosen this path. Clark was a shrewd business man to retain the publishing rights to all of the group's songs from the very beginning. Not even the Beatles were given that option. In fact, I can't name you another sixties act that did. In the meantime, I will cling to my bootleg copies of their first twelve American albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:50:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 5:51:41 PM PST
dallas says:
Steve
There is alot DC5 cds and dvds you can buy them on Amazon.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:33:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:11:40 PM PST
Hinch says:
Most of what is available are greatest hits compilations. The few others are pretty expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:03:28 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Dallas,

Yes, there is a lot of DC5 product available, but consider the following:

The only official CD releases are 1993's THE HISTORY OF THE DAVE CLARK FIVE (which I own) and 2008's THE HITS.

The only official studio albums offered are used vinyl copies.

There are some CD's that are two-fers and three-fers, but these are bootlegs. The collections offering two LP's on one CD are by Rock-In-Beat Records from Hungary. (I own COAST TO COAST/AMERICAN TOUR which includes six bonus tracks from 1964 to 1970.) The 3-on-1 CD collections are by Bits & Pieces Records from the Czech Republic. (I own volumes 1-4.) But let's be clear, these are bootlegs. Neither Epic Records nor Dave Clark have authorized these CD's. To my knowledge there has never been an official release of any of the DC5's studio albums on CD.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that this website lets third-party vendors sell bootlegs. It is, after all, illegal. Neither the artist, the music publisher, nor the original record label makes a nickel on these.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:08:23 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
In Regards to other 60s artists who own their publishing, what about Bob Dylan? Does anyone know?

I like the Dc5 hits but in retrospect IMHO their product is somewhat weak compared to other 60s groups.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:26:09 PM PST
DKPete says:
That makes two of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:47:55 PM PST
DKPete says:
Dee Zee, I have to agree. They did, however, make quite an initial impact..but most of that, in my opinion, had to do moreso with the heavy (for the time) studio sound rather than the innovations of the group itself. Yes, they had some good songs turned into great records and they had one of the best vocalists around in any Pop/Rock group; but the songriting quality, somewhat limited from the outset, had already started to fizzle drastically by 1965. That said, when they first came around, you couldn't help but single them out for their fresh, unique sounding recordings (as well as their very impressive stage appearance). But if you're going to compare them to the likes of The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, The Animals...they couldn't keep up. For what it's worth, on the singles "scene" (at least in the U.S.), the shamlessly lightweight Herman's Hermits fared much better (that's not to say they WERE better but HH were very smart in one crucial money making way...they had no problem leaving all the songwriting to the proven hired hands..this "move" resulted in them having more top ten hits in the mid sixties period than any other British Invasion act except for The Beatles).

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 8:23:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 8:25:41 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
And, yet, the Dave Clark Five are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For a brief shining moment in the sixties, the DC5 wrote some amazing singles, had a distinct sound, and one of the great rock vocalists in Mike Smith. Unfortunately (or not, depending on your perspective), they never evolved as a group and their career as a hit-making group in the U.S. lasted barely three years--about the same lifespan as Herman's Hermits.

Don't get me wrong. As a child of the sixties, I liked both bands. Of the first five LP's I ever bought, one was COAST TO COAST by the Dave Clark Five and another was INTRODUCING HERMAN'S HERMITS.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 8:39:03 PM PST
I thought The Dave Clark 5 were second best group after The Beatles when I was a kid. I loved "Glad All Over"and "Catch Us If You Can" and the other singles.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:17:20 PM PST
Don't mess with the sound. Some of their songs are rough and almost fall apart in places. The fact that it isn't perfect makes it good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:17:40 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
Catch Me If You Can and their cover of I Like It Like That are great rock recordings.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:56:37 AM PST
The DC5 were a good band. SOME of their LP's are surprisingly pretty good. Remember The DC5's most dominate run was 64-65 Singles were still king of the pop market. As the change from singles to albums happened some artists just could not ride with those changes. The DC5's image also did not help them. The DC5 were lumped in with groups like Gerry and The Pacmakers Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas. The DC5 certainly rocked more than some of their fellow British pop acts but they never really made the transition into 67 with 66 being the bridge between more adventerous kinds of records. The group kept going for a while and still made some good songs but by 67 and 68 the glory days were behind them.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game...10 songs where.... 5002 8 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 72 55 minutes ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 529 59 minutes ago
My Let It Bleed 13 1 hour ago
The Music Of Our Lives 7065 1 hour ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 307 1 hour ago
Zappa artists 20 3 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4095 6 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 63 6 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4451 10 hours ago
Obamas war on women 1069 11 hours ago
who was john belko? 0 13 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions