Customer Discussions > Music forum

Is Amazon wrong to exploit tax laws?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 4:43:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 4:50:00 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:29:04 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:07:11 AM PST
I don't think it's so much that Americans are globally unaware or disinterested beyond their borders. I think it's just that the idea of a large corporation putting profits over ethics is viewed as being simply par for the course and hardly a revelation!

Admittedly we're pretty cynical & jaded to such things.

But yes, most Americans agree that Large Corporations, including Amazon, SHOULD be more Socially Conscionable at home AND abroad. They just don't know a way, other than extreme Social Pressure, to force them to do so.

A country's best course of action is probably to enact strict tax laws directed specifically at such corporations, closing tax loopholes and directly affecting their ability to do business in their country and then enforcing those laws stringently.

Amazon has only recently, within the last couple of months, begun collecting and paying California State Sales Tax. So there is *some* progress being made.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:23:34 AM PST
This isn't the right forum for this. Rock on!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:21:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 11:23:37 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:29:32 PM PST
"Just where would you suggest"

Anywhere but here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:05:07 PM PST
MC Zaptone says:
I'm terrible sorry, I thought a story concerning the worlds largest online music store had a relevance to a music forum on it's very own web-site. I'm obviously wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:29:34 PM PST
I'm glad you can see that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:50:29 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2012 7:50:49 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 12:43:04 PM PST
Amazon has started charging taxes on my orders. I thought that it was a settled issue?

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:53:12 AM PST
The fact is, pretty much any large corporation will take advantage of any legal way to increase profits/competitiveness. The real issue is that economic/taxation laws need to catch up with current technological effects on economic systems! I think it's interesting that so many of the posts have been marked as "not adding to the discussion", when they pretty clearly do!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:31:35 AM PST
Fischman says:
Well, you're not discussing music; you're discussing tax policy and moral/ethical issues. As such, this is more appropriate on the "Politics" thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:47:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:49:33 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
Amazon is the largest purveyor of music in the world and this is an Amazon thread, stop
de-compartmentalising and give us all your wisdom.
Is there a "Morality and ethics in commerce thread?" much more apposite than 'politics'

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:15:48 AM PST
OK. People, Here's a Musical Connection for this thread:

George Harrison, a Musician, once wrote a song called "Taxman" which was subsequently recorded by The Beatles, a Musical Group from England, and included on their 1966 Musical Album, "Revolver" which is currently being sold here on Amazon.

Revolver

Amazon, a retailer of Musical Products, is also currently being criticized as unethical for not paying its "fair share" of taxes in countries in which it sells its Musical Products, including the Musical Album "Revolver" with its Musical Opening, "Taxman".

I wonder if George and The Beatles would find this at all ironic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:55:53 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
This isn't a musical "thread" at all; this particular thread is clearly addressing the ethics/morality of Amazon exploiting tax laws! It says nothing about music in the title.

It just happens to be tucked away in the music forum. Why in the world would anyone have a problem with that??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:01:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 12:02:16 PM PST
Jersey Joker says:
Matthew, re: "The real issue is that economic/taxation laws need to catch up with current technological effects on economic systems!"

I say: Be careful what you ask for! Because the people who are responsible for such things USUALLY have a way of making it much more to their own benefit, at the detriment and expense of those whom they are supposed to represent. And it's really gotten bad lately.

I have no faith in these noodniks to do what is right by their constituents. So, I repeat -- be careful what you ask for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Musical Mt. Rushmore 31 1 minute ago
Short but impactful careers in music 24 9 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4821 17 minutes ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2626 58 minutes ago
The Music Of Our Lives 6367 1 hour ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 174 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4049 3 hours ago
Who Ruled the 70's: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan? 492 7 hours ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 28 8 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 28 8 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 41 9 hours ago
Your favourite novelty songs 101 13 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions