Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 224 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:19:27 PM PST
Only instrumental albums for the most part. If you want to keep your enthusiasm for favorite singers, the ipod has made it far too easy to overdose.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:27:01 PM PST
D. Mok says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 12:48:27 PM PST
You should probably lay off the Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:51:03 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> You should probably lay off the Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift.

Go play with your own orifices, Earhole Boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 12:54:27 PM PST
You got it, Moksymoron! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 12:55:12 PM PST
Randy says:
RE: Most albums don't deserve to be listened completely through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I disagree. I think most serious music artists have a vision in mind when they record an album, and I enjoy listening to the album in its entirety to hear that vision for myself.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:00:33 PM PST
I feel you're doing yourself a disservice by not listening to albums all the way through, as intended. Many times those lesser album cuts have a tendency to grow on me, whereas they may even become some of my favorite songs. If you just cherry pick the top, you miss that. Additionally, as other's have said, you can overdose. Too much of a good thing without any variety becomes stale after awhile.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:10:18 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> I disagree. I think most serious music artists have a vision in mind when they record an album

What they intend and what the audience does are two different things.

> I feel you're doing yourself a disservice by not listening to albums all the way through, as intended.

No, I do myself a disservice trying to suffer through inferior tracks like "Speed Demon" (Bad, Michael Jackson), "Deep" (Ten, Pearl Jam) or "Hand on Heart" (Empire, Queensryche) just because the artist may or may not have "intended" something. The artists' intentions have no bearing on what the results turn out to be. I'm not blind and deaf like some music fans who think that just because their "idol" created something, they have to love it.

Films need to be watched all the way through because the whole running length of the film is one unit. Any album that is made of individual songs will be read like a collection of short stories. If every story is great, good for them, I'll read them all. But if some fall short, I'm not about to pretend they're good just to please the artist. That's completely backwards.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:12:56 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
There's no other way!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:25:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 1:26:15 PM PST
"I'm not blind and deaf like some music fans who think that just because their "idol" created something, they have to love it."

What music fans are you encountering that think everything their favorite artist puts out is all great? There is only one group of fans I have seen that do this and dare I say, hands down, it's those American Idol worshippers. Once they grab an idol they like, everything that person does is the best ever and it's confusing to them how not everyone else on the planet feels the same way. Meanwhile, the rest of us on that very same planet can't figure out what it is exactly they LIKE in that person as an artist.

Other than that, I find a majority of fans who are true music lovers can easily admit to flaws in their favorite artist's work.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:02:44 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> What music fans are you encountering that think everything their favorite artist puts out is all great?

Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, James Brown, Eminem...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:06:32 PM PST
Fischman says:
U2

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 2:09:46 PM PST
LOL, Without going into detail, I can definitely see your point in a few of those!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 3:17:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 3:20:30 PM PST
D. Mok says:
Every artist who has fans, also has fanatics. Some fanatics think by listening to someone's music, they are sleeping with him/her. So, any sign of disagreements, they take offense and become insufferable.

The three examples I used -- Michael Jackson's Bad, Pearl Jam's Ten, Queensryche's Empire -- are all in my Top 20 albums of all time. That's how picky I am. Even U2 doesn't have an album I can listen to without skipping anything -- I skip "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Acrobat" from Achtung Baby, "Bullet the Blue Sky" from The Joshua Tree, "The First Time" and "Dirty Day" from Zooropa...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:45:14 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
Every single day!!!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:50:31 PM PST
Hinch says:
I prefer listening to a full album. I don't expect every song to be as good as my favorites on the album but I expect them all to be listenable. There are many artists who have recorded quite a few albums I can listen to without skipping tracks. I usually don't bother playing albums I know have tracks i'll skip, especially if it's more than one or two. I'm almost 62. I don't own an ipod. I rarely buy an mp3. If an artist has one song I like, I don't usually bother with it.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:58:41 PM PST
When I put on an album my intention is to listen to the entire thing. I'm home alot and have the time to listen to something all the way through. I have even played something twice in a row if I'm really taken with it. The only thing I can't get all the way through is an opera only because that requires several hours, but I do have alot on dvd and I'll just block out the time and watch.
And I don't have an ipod either and have never bought an mp3. It must be my age!
Thanks
Bonnie

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:17:36 PM PST
I prefer listening to an album as a whole but, some albums by artists I like may have only 1 or 2 songs I like on some of their weaker albums. That's when compilation albums, MP3 etc. come in handy. With a CD I just skip over the tracks I dont like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:19:39 PM PST
DKPete says:
Even when I was growing up to it all, I only sat and listened to entire albums only up until they were about a couple of weeks old in my collection. After that, I either went for complete album sides (which I still listen to nowadays) or I would jump from album to album playing three or four songs from each within, say, an hours worth period.

I always enjoyed putting together various artists within a listening "period" rather than stick with one album all the way through. The CD age encouraged this way of listening even more as it allowed me to program sppecific combinations of artists played back to back (it must be that closet DJ in me somewhere).

These days, I will tend to go back to an entire album if it comes up for any reason...discussion of its' re-issue or a remaster..just to "re-examine" it. On that current topic of discussion, I just finished listening to my original vinyl pressing of Tull's Thick As A Brick-comparing it the entire time to my recent listenings the current remix.

...and by the way...the sort of thing I've been rambling about in this entire post...I gotta get a fix, if humanly possible, every single day of the week.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:04:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:13:26 PM PST
carolb57 says:
I'm an album person and even though he has only two full albums out (plus a couple of EP albums), I play Adam Lambert's music all of the way through without skipping anything. His music is exciting, dynamic and not the slightest bit boring. I have his latest CD called "Trespassing" in my car and it saves me every time I can't stand the whiney, autotuned Justin Bieber/Taylor Swift crap that is being played on the radio these days. Adam is the next best thing to Freddie Mercury in vocal range (as he proved this past summer when he performed 6 shows with the remaining members of Queen in the Ukraine, Poland, Russia and the UK) and he amazes me how he can sing rock, pop, funk and beautiful, soaring ballads. I have to be careful if I'm driving on a turnpike when listening to those soaring ballads that me and my car don't fly up into the stratosphere along with the music!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:10:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:12:32 PM PST
Park says:
Earhole,

I am 55 years old. I was brought up on all formats of music. There are some albums that do well in their entirety, i.e. Deja Vu - CSN&Y, Time Has Come Today - Chambers Brothers, Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holden Co., etc., and should be listened to as a whole especially those Jimmy Webb albums sung by Richard Harris. However, there have been albums that don't always do well because it is obvious that a "hit" was inserted amongst a great deal of "filler" material (I won't mention anything here in order to keep things positive). But, there are those who believe(d) in singles (John Lennon, Phil Spector) and love their 45s. Extended Play 45s were known as "albums" even though there were only around 4 songs on them. Now, I think the kids today have a great medium to enjoy their music - mp3. It reminds me of how I used to hold a half-dozen singles in my hand through their 45 spindle holes. I still have a hi-fi and plenty of vinyl to play on it, both albums and singles ;)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:12:41 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
My posting of the article by Hajdu was my way of saying that if you respect a musician as an artist, you owe it to him/her/them as well as yourself to listen with an open mind. You may learn to appreciate creative works you've never thought of before. You may grow as a person. Otherwise, we are victims of our own preferences. That being said, I will confess to making a CD-R of an album and leaving out half the songs. The album? "Double Fantasy." I don't think it was a cop out on my part because I took the advise of W.C. Fields. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then if you still don't, then give it up. Don't be a damn fool about it."

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:02:21 AM PST
I always listen to the whole album the first few times through because both the artist and the record company's A&R people usually plan the album with some purpose in mind so the track order, instrumentation etc figure into the over-all appeal of an album and those details often make an album more worth while. The planning of the album is in itself an art. With an LP the process was a bit easier than the CDs with 70 to 80 minutes of music so I can see that in the fast paced society we live in today, some don't have time to listen to the whoe thing at one sitting..

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:08:26 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I still listen to the whole record.
My problem is that CD's are so long and I only have a 30 mintue drive to work so getting through one is impossible.
I could listen to the 2nd half on the way home but a drive to work prompts one style of music and the drive home prompts another.

I miss LP's because I used to listen to them with the lyrics.
I'm 55 and CD booklets are too d@mn small.
That's why I am a lyric expert from 1970 to 1985...then CD's came out!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:13:41 AM PST
I love listening to albums completely. What I really miss about vinyl is the great artwork and easy to read lyrics. If I'm not a big fan of an artist I will buy only 1 or 2 songs from iTunes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6377 3 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 27 37 minutes ago
Long Careers in Music 42 5 hours ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4826 5 hours ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 32 6 hours ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 29 6 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2626 7 hours ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 174 8 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4049 10 hours ago
Who Ruled the 70's: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan? 492 14 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 28 15 hours ago
Your favourite novelty songs 101 20 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions