Customer Discussions > Music forum

Are White People Reluctant to Criticize Rap Because They're Afraid of Being Called "Racist" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 450 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 9:31:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2013 10:29:29 AM PDT
Samhain333 says:
When it comes to commenting on contemporary musical acts, something that I seem to notice is that performers like Justin Beiber, Britney Spears, Milley Cyrus, Christina Aguilara, Backstreet Boys and that whole lot seem to take the biggest brunt of derision and scorn from those who are seemingly disgruntled with the current state of popular music, yet when it comes to remarking on rap acts, or maybe even some equally bimbous pop-tart of african heritage ( like Beyonce, Rhiana, Janet Jackson, or Li'll Kim ) in a less than praisefull manner these people, particularly if they're white, become very apprehensive and delicate. Sheepishly stating in advance "Firstly, I want you to know that I am NOT racist!! I'm really NOT!!!! Heaven forbid!!!" or "Don't get me wrong, .. I have exceptional admiration for the musical accomplishments and contributions of African Americans!!! But ... .. . " then proceed very gingerly stating their observations ( essentially saying that they suck ).

I perceive that there's a rather amusing reason for these separate attitudes of keenness and reluctance. Beiber, Spears, Aguilara, Cyrus, Backstreet Boys are all WHITE, . .. therefore people feel free to criticize and "bash" them, .. and do so unabashedly and with FULL-FORCE and undisguised relish. However, they're afraid to similarly deride rap and hip hop performers because they're generally African American and they're phobic of being labeled "racist". Am I right, .. . or am I right ?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:26:58 AM PST
Since when do people here not make fun of rap. Rap is crap. Of course I am Grey so my point does not count.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:54:54 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Nope!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:20:12 AM PST
Hinch says:
I've seen no reluctance on these forums to criticize c-rap, or any type of music. There is some rap I like. Every genre has good and bad. Also, I'm not saying you're racist but those who are not, usually don't feel the need to put a disclaimer on their posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:35:23 AM PST
Aww hell no y'all.

Now where you at dog?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:39:48 AM PST
Rap is boring crap.
Reluctance = zero.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:44:45 AM PST
Talk - Action = Zero.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:52:23 AM PST
A customer says:
That would be stupid. Hip hop is not "black" music, just like heavy metal isn't "white" music. Listen to whatever you want. We're all in this together, you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:05:51 PM PST
That also sums up rap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:55:59 PM PST
Working Man says:
I have no problem criticizing rap and it has nothing to do with race. Also there are a lot of people on these forums who I think are very willing to criticize rap as well. Try bringing up a rap thread in the rock or classic rock threads.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:02:06 PM PST
A customer says:
I don't know who's worse, the rock fan who claims all hip hop sucks, or the hip hop fan who claims all rock sucks. The former is ignorant, the latter is delusional. Either way, closed-mindedness is ill a flattering fit on anyone.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:29:53 PM PST
I think artists are less likely to criticize others because they dont like to be criticized themselves and also could face a financial backlash. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks after they criticized George Bush. They turned out to be correct but, the damage was done.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:51:28 PM PST
Working Man says:
Not liking a particular kind of music does not mean that we think every song in that genre sucks. It simply means that we don't like that kind of music. I am a rock fan who does not generally like rap or hip hop. If I say rap sucks it's a generalization and it's much easier than saying "all rap that I have heard" or "most rap that I have heard" sucks. I don't like "rapping", however I have heard rap and hip hop songs where at least parts of the song are pretty good, sometimes a good melody, sometimes nice vocals, but when they get into rapping or beat boxing that's when the lose me.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:04:22 PM PST
I got turned onto Sir Mix A Lot by some 7th graders in the expensive part of Reno, and there's also the Jewish variety:

As Kosher As They Wanna Be

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:40:56 AM PST
Hinch says:
I haven't heard much new rap other than what's on the radio. I realize that's not representative of all rap.

Artists I've liked in the past and bought albums by are P.M. Dawn, Arrested Development, The Fat Boys, Digable Planets and Ice T.

I've also liked some music by A Tribe Called Quest, Grand Master Flash and Public Enemy.

What I really dislike is sampling music and putting it behind a rap, especially without permission of the artist.

What I like about this is the fact Stephen Stills not only gave permission to use part of "For What It's Worth". He played and sang on the recording and appears in the video.

Public Enemy "He Got Game"

http://youtu.be/7FmPskTljo0

Arrested Development "Give A Man A Fish"

http://youtu.be/o68RjNum89c

Digable Planets - "Rebirth of Slick(Cool Like That)

http://youtu.be/cM4kqL13jGM

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 1:54:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 28, 2012 2:44:21 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:53:01 AM PST
Hinch says:
How 'bout Weird Al's "White & Nerdy"?

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:04:04 AM PST
Damn right they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:18:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:48:49 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
You should have been here a few years ago. In fact if I were you, I would try and get a hold of all those rap threads where many of us not only flushed it down the toilet every chance we got but had a great time doing it. Those threads went on for months and months. And many of the rappers came over from "their" threads to these "white people type" threads to duke it out with us. But, in the end many of the rappers and/or people we fought with the most also ended up being people we joked around with.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:19:04 PM PST
I intensely dislike opera music. In general, most opera music is made by white people and listened to by white people. Does that make me racist against myself......?

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:26:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:28:15 PM PST
@AlexMontrose: yes, but is the fact that white people are able to so handily blast rap music on these forums the result of their utter fearlessness, or the fact that they can easily hide behind an internet screen?

Try getting on a bus here in LA where the black person next to you is blasting hip-hop, and ask him to turn it down because "rap is crap". See what happens. This is the reason they are able to blast it as loud as they do--they know that everyone else is afraid to say anything.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:32:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:36:04 PM PST
Hinch says:
If one knows one isn't racist, maybe one doesn't worry about what people may think about one's opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:34:59 PM PST
Hinch says:
You may have a point, but what about white people who blast their music in cars. I've heard people playing music so loud I wouldn't be able to sit in the car with it playing that loud.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:42:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 8:43:21 PM PST
@Hinch: lots of people of all races blast loud music (I'm one of those annoying car blasters, myself, LOL). The point of the OP was, when it comes to rap, are whites afraid of criticizing it for fear of being called racist. In my observations, whites are not at all afraid of lambasting rap music in private, around non-blacks, or on anonymous internet forums. They go all-out. However, when it comes to face-to-face contact with blacks, I do believe that whites try to step very gingerly around the situation. I will state off the bat however that I live in one of the most racially polarized and racially-sensitive cities in the nation (Los Angeles), so my perspective may be skewed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:19:06 PM PST
Hinch says:
Michael

>whites try to step very gingerly around the situation<

I'm sure that's true of many, if not most whites. I've never had a problem giving my opinion.

I do it all the time at work(and where I worked before) when rap comes on the radio. Not all rap, but there is some that really gets on my nerves. I'm mostly talking about rap with just a beat and repetitive mono toned rapping. Stuff like Eminem, Tupac and 50 Cent used to really get on my nerves. Even worse is crunk, such as Lil Jon and The Ying Yang Twins and songs like "Get Low". Lil' Jon pretty much made the song "Yeah!" by Usher unlistenable.

Nothing makes me more nervous and irritable than hearing some horrible rap on the radio, and I have no problem expressing my feelings, in fact, I get so irritated I can't help it, and I work with blacks who like rap, but they know me well enough to know I'm not racist.

I may be an exception to your point.

I do admit, I wouldn't go on the street and insult music people I don't know are listening to, black or white.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4100 4 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 5009 6 minutes ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 309 20 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 73 33 minutes ago
The Music Of Our Lives 7079 37 minutes ago
2014 Favs radio show with Setzer, Jerry Lee and more 0 2 hours ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 529 7 hours ago
My Let It Bleed 13 7 hours ago
Zappa artists 20 9 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 63 13 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4451 17 hours ago
Obamas war on women 1069 18 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  450
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions