Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 101 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 24, 2013 5:55:59 AM PST
Poco
Gene Clark - Solo
Bodine - One album in the seventies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 5:19:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 5:27:37 PM PST
It's also on his first studio album Nils Lofgren.

I actually prefer the live version because it has a really wonderful added introduction with a long instrumental lead in.

Unfortunately it is very hard to get.

Not country but Cry Tough is Nils' masterpiece.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 12:23:21 PM PST
Wow, I never know Nils Lofgrin did Goin Back. Of course I am not very familiar with his work. I have 3 versions of it and they are all first rate, The Byrds, Dusty Springfiled and The Pretenders. I will checkout Nils version as well. It is such a great song!

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 9:07:25 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
Lynyrd Skynryd
The Outlaws
Pure Prairie League

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:48:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 8:48:50 AM PST
Indeed.

Two of my favorite Goffin/ King, and there are many.

By this time the Band had made a big impression on a lot of people.

They and Dylan dragged Americana back into the mainstream by the scruff of its neck IMHO.

Nils Lofgren does an excellent live rock version of "Going back" on "Night after night", which is just wonderful to my ears.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:42:42 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Fortunately, they kept the "country" or at least the "folk" in "Wasn't Born to Follow" and to a lesser extent "Goin' Back" on the Byrds' "Notorious Byrd Brothers." Lots of that might have been the genius of McGuinn, Clarence White, and the other musicians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:38:35 AM PST
Still couldn't get that fiddle out, though.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:29:37 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Correct, Buck. Nesmith did not write "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round," although it does sound like country rock to me. If Goffin and King tried to mitigate the "country" in "Sweet Young Thing," they succeeded admirably.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 6:38:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 3:38:59 AM PST
Nesmith didn't write "What am I doing hangin' round".

It was written by Michael Murphy, the guy who did "Wildfire".

"Sweet young thing" is a great example of early country rock written by Nesmith.

In fact, it was so country that Goffin and King were brought in to make it more rock.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:28:02 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
By the 1970s "country rock" was a broad, hard-to-define style of music that soon became impossible to define because of all that people included. The ORIGINS are also disputed. There have always been singer/songwriters dating back to Jimmie Rodgers who have recorded songs with elements of different musical forms - country, jazz, and blues, for example. If I had to pin down country rock, I would say it originated in California in the second half of the 60s (before the Eagles) based on the music that many of you have already identified (right on , Dee Zee): Doug Dillard, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman, Gram Parsons, and others including Mike Nesmith when he wasn't busy being a Monkee and could devote himself to writing gems like "What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round."

I would distinguish between country rock and rock-a-billy (too R&R and predictable to be CR), southern rock (not enough steel guitar and a little too "hard" for CR), and outlaw (not quite rocky enough early on but included great tunes and lyrics). Bluegrass and string band influences were added by Jerry Garcia, Clarence White, and others. The genre really goes pop with the smoothness of Jackson Browne and Emmylou Harris (and the Eagles) a little later on. Gram Parsons was often booed when he tried adding the "country" to rock early on.

We need Michael Topper to chime in on this.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:32:45 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
gusula says: "what's the difference between country rock and outlaw country, or Americana?"

I agree with your points. It's would seem a very fine line between the genres.

I think the term "country rock" first came into use in the early 70's when most of these bands really hit their stride, and had their "hey day" (IE: Eagles, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Poco, some Grateful Dead, etc, etc). Even the Stones jumped on the bandwagon a few times with the "country" influence. Today, I think we're probably more likely to hear the terms "Americana" or "Roots Rock" to describe bands that tend towards that sound/genre. And there are many of them (Dawes, Ryan Bingham, Fleet Foxes, Ryan Adams, etc, way too many to list)!

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 5:13:38 AM PST
This is a very difficult post because I am not real sure exactly who qualifies as country rock or not. Genres like Southren rock, does that count? How about rockabilly? I know Johnny Cash is usually classified as country but he DOES rub shoulders with rock and roll. And The Band is so well rounded, I don't know how I would classify them. I find it (not eaiser) but more defining to select some country rock songs. These are a few off the top of my head.
1) Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It-Buffalo Springfield
2) Up The Devils Pay-Old 97's
3) A Box Of Rain-The Grateful Dead
4) Flower Of My Heart-Buddy Holly
5) Conversation With The Devil-Ray Wylie Hubard
6) Christine's Tune (Devil In Disguise)-Flying Burrito Brothers
7) Cryin-Ringo Starr
8) I Threw It All Away-Bob Dylan
9) Garden Party-Rick Nleson
10) Hoedown-It's A Beautiful Day
11) Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones or The Flying Burrito Brothers
12) Melissa-The Allamn Brothers Band
13) Hot Rod Linclon-Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen
Albums
1) Bradley's Barn-The Beau Brummels
2) ANY of The Byrds country rock period (I know that's cheating)
3) John Fogerty (can't recall the title but it came out a few years ago and contained all covers like John Prine's Paradise, Rick Nelson's Garden Party, ect)
4) Harvest Moon-Neil Young
5) Wrecking Ball-Emmy Lou Harris
Too many more for me to think of this early in the morning!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 7:34:45 PM PST
i know gusula really all comes under music to me and copperhead is a good example what a good jam as for as that goes what turns me on is real music i really enjoy gutiar music i guess that's why i mostly listen to rock.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 7:18:39 PM PST
gusula says:
I have to admit I'm not 100 percent sure what a prototypical "country rock" band sounds like. While I'm sure the genre is recognized by at least some fans out there, I've never seen a country rock section in a music store, or heard a radio station dedicated to country rock either. Way too many crossovers with other genres - what's the difference between country rock and outlaw country, or Americana? What's the real substantive difference between country rock and southern rock? The instrumentation? The beat? The lyrical content? Some artists have put out individual albums that are probably best defined as country rock (Dylan is a good example), but their other albums are clearly better fits in other genres. All up to individual interpretation, I suppose.

Having said all that, my nominee is one of my top 10 albums of all time - Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road." The title track rocks as hard as anything I've ever heard, and it has what is arguably the best mandolin riff this side of Zep's "Misty Mountain Hop" - a great combination for a country rock act, if you ask me...

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:16:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 5:17:00 PM PST
the flying buritto brothers, early poco, the byrds,and the band some songs i thought were good sin city the buritto brothers, honky tonk down stairs poco, and cripple creek preformed by the band.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 3:19:54 PM PST
In reply to Buck Buckaw 12/23/12 5:42P post Thank you for mentioning John Stewart. He is one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters. It's about three years now since he left us and I think of him often around this time of year.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:33:44 AM PST
I'm not a country music fan, so listing 3 is difficult. But I do like the newer song "Pontoon", by "Little Big Town".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:02:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 4:03:59 PM PST
The Dillards were a great band in their own right.

Does early Loggins & Messina count?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 2:06:23 PM PST
Happy to see someone mention Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band. Rick belongs way high on any country-rock list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:52:11 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
Dillard and Clark
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Gene Clark

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:27:08 AM PST
Musicologist says:
And LIttle Feat.....

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 10:25:00 AM PST
Musicologist says:
POCO / FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS / EAGLES

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:56:04 AM PST
Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil
Flying Burrito Bros. - Christine's Tune (Devil in Disguise)
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - Beat Me Daddy Eight to the bar

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:58:52 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
As Time Goes By: Best Of Little Feat - best place to start, Hinch. Nary a duff track.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:56:37 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Cheers indy - I'll check it out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  101
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions