Customer Discussions > Music forum

Any upcoming re-issue stuff??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 22, 2013 2:33:11 PM PDT
Geddy was singing on that HOF show on the cable and there was something really wrong with his vocals....What gives?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:00:43 PM PST
J. Hand says:
LOL! Even I think "Donald Duck on acid" is a bit of a stretch!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:59:05 PM PST
J. Hand says:
Hi Robert. I just got a very clean used LP copy of Ramatam's self-titled LP (and damn can that April Lawton play!) so I will find my LP copy of 2112 and give it a spin since when I start playing records I tend to do so exclusively for several days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:16:40 PM PST
I like Geddy Lee's vocals and it was no-doubt Lester Bangs that described Geddy's vocals as: "Donald Duck on acid" and it don't get any cooler than that! "2112" should hold up as a deluxe release if it's good good bonus material included and I want this one as well.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:51:19 AM PST
Working Man says:
I get it about Geddy Lee's vocals, they are definitely not for everyone. 2112 knocked me off my feet when I first heard it and have been a fan ever since. I didn't care for the direction Rush took in the 80's. Since they have cut back on their 80's 'techno' sound I have enjoyed them once again. I have since gone back and picked up their 80's stuff but don't listen to it as much as their more current stuff and their 70's stuff.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:55:08 AM PST
I agree with Mr. Hand but, 2112 is an exception for me, as well. I have the Mobile Fidelity Gold Disc version and the Mofi version of Moving Pictures. If 2112 is released in 5.1, I'll probably be there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:35:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 8:36:27 AM PST
J. Hand says:
Rush was one of those bands I could never quite warm up to. I never liked the high pitched vocals of Geddy Lee. I have Grace Under Pressure, Signals and one other I think. Those were made when he was older and he didn't go so high up when he sang.

I do have 2112 on LP and it did get a lot of play back when it was new, prog rock was still good and I smoked a lot of weed and was into psychedelics. Really, everything else about the band I liked- their musicianship, the subjects they sang about, the prog rock flavor to their music. I even liked Lee's sense of humor when he appeared on The Great White North record by SCTV's 'Bob and Doug McKenzie'.

Really, the only male vocalist I ever liked with that near falsetto voice was Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin. It was the main reason I never warmed to any of the hair bands (among other reasons) or the bands that came to called Metal. I loved the music of the latter but as soon as the Robert Plant wannabe vocalist started with his testicles in a vise vocals I had had enough. I actually think I would have liked some of the Styx records if they'd have had a different vocalist although I only heard a few of their records.

It's just me and I know thousands enjoyed Rush, Hair Bands, Metal, etc so I'm not passing judgement, I'm just stating my personal preferences.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:05:05 AM PST
Working Man says:
Rush 2112. Though no one seems to be interested in this one. I have posted info on Classic and Progressive Rock forums and one person responding in the Progressive Rock forum (I didn't check today).

In any case it's been reported that a Deluxe version of Rush's 2112 is coming out Dec. 18, though I don't see anything on their web site or here at Amazon yet. I will pre-ordering it the moment I see it. Rush 2112 is one of my all-time favorite albums and it's overdue for a deluxe version. I hope it does get released this year (2012) a hundred years prior to it's title.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:10:19 PM PDT
Almost all of them have a pared down, cheaper alternative.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:25:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 1:26:17 PM PDT
I agree with Michael Topper as the CD immersion boxsets are way overpriced and as I haven't collected vinyl LP's since 1985 and I don't need them included in CD boxsets. It's only greed that fuels the production of those $150.00 sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:45:12 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Robert...some people still want the vinyl at whatever cost they can possibly drum up..and Im one of them. You're right though. In general, it's a rip off to HAVE to pay for both formats if you only really desire one of them. I'm very happy to see that TAAB/TAAB2 are coming out on vinyl seperately from their respective Cd packages...but because I love the album as much as I do and appreciate both CD's AND vinyl, i will probably buy them both....but I can do so seperately without having to come up with 150 bucks all at once.

Michael, it's not a matter of wealth. With the deluxe Magical Mystery Tour box, for instance, I literally put away ten dollar bills for two months to make sure I could pay the CC bill. As far other super deluxes, I try to time them with gift receiving time (the Beatles vinyl box will be a combined birthday gift from my entire family).

By the way, thanks for the update on the ELP stuff. I WAS a fan at the time and still want these albums in the best sound quality available.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:43:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 8:23:45 PM PDT
J. Hand says:
Now, 8 track IS stretching it a bit although back in the mid 70s I did have a 'high end' Pioneer * track recorder/player I got in Germany while in the military. I still have a Nakamichi BX300 cassette deck but once my stash of old Maxells, TDKs, and Fujis are no longer serviceable, I'm not sure what I'll do. I figured somewhere somebody still makes good quality cassettes but none I could find so far.

Re: the vinyl included in special release sets- Since those are aimed at collectors and hardcore fans rather than general consumption, I'm glad those of us who like that sort of thing get thrown a bone now and then. The flip side is why do we collectors and players of vinyl have to do without for the sake of those who shop exclusively for CDs with price being their primary motivation? All in all, it seems there is something for everybody which is fine. Most special re-issues seem to come in several varieties that are CD only. I can't name all the Pink Floyd DSOTM releases, reissues, remasters, anniversary issues, Making of DVDs, Story of DVDs, covers, tributes, box-sets, immersion sets, etc that have come out over the years. The Beatles catalog is another example of reissuing over and again. I'm not bitching, mind you- I like it but in some cases financial considerations do come into play for those of us who aren't 'completists'.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:12:02 PM PDT
If you think about it, while vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback, there are way more people who find it in a box set and go "Huh?". I too have never been without a turntable and I have my massive record collection but, we are pretty few and far between. Cheap Trick did a recent release on 8-Track, now how many of you are demanding that ? LoL. I've seen a lot of people complain because the new deluxe Aqualung included the vinyl. People don't wanna pay extra for such a big coaster.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:01:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 4:02:09 PM PDT
J. Hand says:
That's sorta the way the Stones did the re-issue of Exile on Main Street, 2 CDs, 2 LPs, a DVD and a hard cover book.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 3:12:12 PM PDT
@Robert W.Belew: it still doesn't make sense to me. The only people wealthy enough to blow upwards of $150 on an immersion set like this covering just *one* album, wouldn't mind paying more--even a lot more--to have the vinyl included in it as well. They can include the vinyl in at full price in the set, *and* sell it separately, just as they are selling a two-disc version separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 3:06:32 PM PDT
J. Hand says:
I was one of those who never parted with my LP collection so I have many original vinyls including the whole King Crimson catalog up until all the issues went to CD. Off the top of my head I think that may have been Three of a Perfect Pair and/or Discipline?

I think after dropping a small fortune on a turntable and cartridge back in 1980 I wasn't going to toss the whole shebang out when I went to CD. I've never regretted keeping those records despite frequently being told I'm a dinosaur for not only keeping and playing vinyl but because my audio system would do good to fit in a small box truck rather than in my shirt pocket. Funny how those that make those accusations almost never experienced either vinyl or a killer sound system but so readily thumbs down both.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 3:03:19 PM PDT
Because of the princely sum they can command for the black sonic slab, alone, I suppose.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:57:55 PM PDT
@Robert W.Belew: why not just put it in with the rest of the enormous package? Sounds awfully inconvenient to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 2:43:15 PM PDT
The vinyls are being issued separately.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:02:57 PM PDT
BTW the new ELP deluxe editions of the debut and "Tarkus" are excellent and highly recommended. The bonus material for the debut is especially good, and makes up for the absence of "The Three Fates" and "Tank" for remixing (as the multi-tracks were missing). The amount of outtake material from "Tarkus" is a little slim, but what is there is excellent. Wilson does his usual grade-A job with the sound on both albums. Packaging is nice. If you are an ELP fan these releases are essential and can be found for as low as $16 in some places (for three discs, not bad!).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:50:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 1:52:49 PM PDT
"2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12" box with booklet & memorabilia. DVD-A content as above, Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material - all presented in DTS Master audio, 4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album, 1CD live in the studio, 8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings + 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards - limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units."

Good lord, now *that's* an "immersion" set!!! These things are getting ridiculous. I'm sure five years from now this will be paltry pickings...the mind reels and boggles.

For all that's on this set, however, there's one obvious thing missing--a reproduction of the original vinyl album. Curious. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:56:52 PM PDT
http://www.stcleve.com/

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:21:15 PM PDT
The 2-disc Thick As A Brick Anniversary set looks very cool though. I am especially intrigued by the full 30 page reproduction of the newspaper that's included. Something to read while listening to the music!

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:05:02 PM PDT
Way over priced...
Thick As A Brick / Thick As A Brick 2 (Special Vinyl Collection)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 5:02:07 PM PDT
He has been dubbed
"The crown prince of surround sound"
I am looking forward to Thick As A Brick , due in November.
A vinyl package of Taab I and II is coming, also.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions