Customer Discussions > Music forum

Are White People Reluctant to Criticize Rap Because They're Afraid of Being Called "Racist" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 450 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 19, 2014 9:30:35 PM PDT
Jeff says:
If calling rap crap would label me as a racist then I say bring on the racist label. Rap is pure crap along with hip hop. Great marketing ploys and money makers but that is where it ends.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 6:11:24 AM PST
stevign says:
You just don't know the right people Hinch. ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 6:09:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2014 6:11:53 AM PST
stevign says:
I do too......at the moment it begins until the moment it ends. To be fair though, the rests in between the beats and the lyrics are ok.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 6:03:42 AM PST
Hinch says:
I must be a protected class too. I've never been criticized or called a racist for not liking rap.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 5:57:07 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Does anyone think black people are reluctant to criticize country music or rock music for fear of being called racist?"

Not at all, they're a Protected Class. ;~)

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:36:42 PM PST
I'm white and I think rap sucks at the moment.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:34:41 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment,
You own it, you better never let it go,
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow,
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo!

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:33:57 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 11:27:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2014 11:28:03 PM PST
Hinch says:
Does anyone think black people are reluctant to criticize country music or rock music for fear of being called racist? Do you think they are? I don't. I don't even think about it. If someone criticizes a certain music, I just think they don't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 9:09:59 PM PST
stevign says:
Sounds like a lot of stars can be found at the dump.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 8:47:02 PM PST
PhilipHS says:
Big deal. Sinatra dumped Tommy Dorsey, Elvis dumped the Jordannaires, Justin Timberlake dumped N'Sync, LeBron dumped the Cavs. When you're THAT good, you want your own name on the marquee, and get to call your own shots.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 8:26:55 PM PST
Robbie says:
You know how people like to generalize things. I don't care for rap, and it has nothing to do with the rappers. It has to do with the way rap sounds, a sound that I don't care for. I'm not reluctant to criticize rap and to be called a racist. I know what I am and what I am not in that regard. Some folks criticize music that I like. I don't get mad or accuse them of anything. We ALL have the right to like and to dislike certain music. We don't owe our music choices to anyone!

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 4:35:02 PM PST
NiggerPlease says:
Because she dumped the other girls. Look what people said about Diana Ross years ago when she left the Supremes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 4:26:24 PM PST
Hinch says:
No. He's just a troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 4:00:43 PM PST
PhilipHS says:
She's a married woman, with nary a hint of scandal. What makes you say that? (other than the fact that you obviously hate black people)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 11:25:38 AM PST
Hinch says:
I understood what you meant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 11:17:19 AM PST
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 10:51:57 AM PST
dwood78 says:
re: "I as a person of color"

What color?

If you read any of my postings, esp. the one you replied to, you should know. I'm a Black male.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 10:45:17 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "I as a person of color"

What color?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 10:42:38 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Beyonce just sucks C**K better."

Perhaps you could be a bit more graphic, I don't think we've reached our total saturation point of "rude", "crude" and "base" yet.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 10:35:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2014 10:36:47 AM PST
dwood78 says:
I'd been reading these postings on this issue. On rather or not Whites are Reluctant to criticize rap because they're afraid of being called "racist", I as a person of color, I see no reluctant in criticizing rap for that reason. That said, for many people who enjoy hip hop, the issue has always been that fact that many people focus heavily on the content of rap while ignoring the questionable content in some forms of rock music. Also some people talk about the over sexualization that's in some rap music would be shocked that sex is historical a part of Black secular music- remember the original lyrics of Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti"; they had to be clean them up before recording the single. & that wasn't new then either- a lot of early Blues artists talk about sex using code (food items, remember Jelly Roll Morton? His nickname isn't a jellied donut, it's the nickname for a certain part of the female body. This by the way was one of the reasons that early blues Critics called it the "devil's music".)

Also, it's nice to see that many posters here, while not fans of hip hop enjoy other forms of music like classic soul, funk & jazz. But, it's important to understand that liking music created by Black people doesn't always mean that non-Black people want to personally associate with them. Heck, during jazz's golden era, racism & hatred of Black people was openly accepted. So personally, non-Black people liking Black arts & music mean nothing to me if that person still harbors bigoted attitudes towards me just because of who I am.

Well, that's my 2 cents on this issue. I hope everyone had a great New Year

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 9:13:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 20, 2014 2:29:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 8:56:06 AM PST
stevign says:
If anything, a commentator may have said it is thought of as a big scandal of sorts by "other" people, like maybe the hosts on E! Entertainment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 7:38:01 AM PST
Alt9999 says:
Yeah. I wonder in what context this was referred to as a scandal. It could have been in a humorous manner. Then again people seem to feign outrage at pretty much anything anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 7:31:46 AM PST
stevign says:
I would think so, I haven't heard any of the commentators say it on Fox.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 7068 3 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 5003 2 hours ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 72 3 hours ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 529 3 hours ago
My Let It Bleed 13 4 hours ago
Why Pat Boone is Better than Elvis 307 4 hours ago
Zappa artists 20 6 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4095 9 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 63 9 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4451 13 hours ago
Obamas war on women 1069 14 hours ago
who was john belko? 0 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  450
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions