Johnny Bee says:
Tad

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 10:24:34 PM PDT
Clutch
motorhead
Ufo
Testament

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 9:14:35 PM PDT
1980s-Magazine(a great post-punk/new wave music artists)

1990s-Gene(their first release, 'Olympian' sounded like a band doing The Smiths, better than The Smiths. They even did a B-Sides CD, that reminded me of 'Hatful of Hollow').

2000s-Doves(their first 3 releases, 'Lost Souls', 'The Last Broadcast' & 'Some Cities' rank as 3 of my favorite CDs of all time. Their 4th release, 'Kingdom of Rust', started to recycle some of their earlier songs, but it was still very good. I am hoping the band explores some new musical direction, while retaining part of their original sound on their next planned release, whenever that may be).

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 12:44:05 PM PDT
I haven't had time to wade through all the posts but these are some (relatively) current bands who I think deserve more success than they have achieved:

Minus The Bear
Wolf Parade
Johnny Flynn
Mew (huge in Europe, totally unknown in the US)
Steven Wilson
Thee Spivs
Tame Impala (they're getting bigger as I type this, however)
Deerhunter
Rainbow Danger Club
Kasabian (huge in the UK, unknown in US)
Guillemots (successful in the UK, unknown in US)
Big Big Train
Kurt Vile

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 12:30:07 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Many bands have already been mentioned
except: The North Mississippi Allstars
The whole world should be listening to them!

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:56:00 PM PST
CJ Pelayo says:
Close Fact City's new album! Circles Of Life

Available on March 1st on iTunes, Amazon MP3, Deezer, Spotigy, Rdio, GooglePlay, Simfy, Rhapsody, iHeartRadio, Nokia, MySpace, Medianet, MuveMusic, XboxLive and Emusic.
Check out our Tumblr blog to read about the album story and info.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:49:10 AM PST
I had replied to this post before and mentioned Marshall Crenshaw. I would also like to add Steeleye Span, It's A Beautuful Day, John Hiatt, Amy Rigby The Raspberries, Steve Forbert, The Smithereens, Lucinda Williams, Fairport Convention, Arthur Alexander, Old 97's, Rory Block, The Strawbs, Love, Richard Thompson, Nick Lowe, The Zombies, Iron Butterfly, Aphrodities Child and Badfinger. Some of these artists certainly had SOME commercial success like Nick Lowe and The Zombies but they should have had a lot more. Some like Rory Block never had any. Most of these artists have gotten critical success and that's cool but their commercail success was far less except in the case of Iron Butterfly that the critics did not like. But the Butterfly is really only remembered for In-A-Gadda-Divida and they had more good songs than just that. Fairport are pioneers but only had one major hit in England and none here. Love's Forever Changes is looked upon as one of the great albums of the 60's put it's chart peak in the US was a sad 154! John Hiatt and Arthur Alexander are probably known more as writers than their own material-that's just wrong. Anyway, I think a case can be made for all these wonderful artists who are I think should have had achieived more than they did.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:02:49 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I like it when I see a band at the begining of their career in a club...then they hit arenas...then after the fall it's back to the club.

Lou Reed for example...first show at a small venue...second show at a shed...last time a club!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:38:54 AM PST
The BEST band in 30 years is RED WANTING BLUE!!! Ya gotta check them out!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:53:43 PM PST
Lisa J. Fiel says:
I Think "yes " dosent get the respect it should and I think that just because there songs are not so commercial or short enough to plat on the radio , Doesnt mean that bands like RUSH, Emerson, Lake & Palmer & even trans siberian orchastra, would probobly not exist! Peater Gabrials stage presentsin the beginning (with all the strange costumes and antics on stage WOULD BOWIE, ELTON JOHN OR EVEN LADY GAGA feel so comfortable in there own skin & mind if someone didnt set the way???!!

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:17:41 PM PST
Working Man says:
So true. It's happened to my favorite bands too. Once they get that commercial breakthrough album it seems bands often lose their grit and become too polished.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 8:55:14 PM PST
Arseface says:
I don't want any of my favorite bands to be bigger. Most bands get worse after that happens.

That only seems to happen when bands try to get bigger by changing who or what they are. Most people thought Kansas 'sold out' when they released "Leftoverture", but, if you compare it to "Masque", it's completely consistant with who they were. Unfortunately, after they became 'huge', they never reached that level, quality-wise, again. So, your theory held true for them. The Beatles actually started changing after they became huge and managed to stay ahead of the curve for most of their subsequent career.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 6:05:13 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Not to mention that you end up paying more money to sit further away in a bigger hall with worse sound....

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:39:23 AM PST
stevign says:
The bigger a band gets, the more food and drink they require to sustain their massive bodies. How many more groupies have to die from being crushed to death during sex before we put an end to this madness?

[Save a life - keep bands small]

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 1:53:22 AM PST
Arseface says:
I don't want any of my favorite bands to be bigger. Most bands get worse after that happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:51:44 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Screaming Trees were the best of the late 1980/90s bunch (imo), but should never have been lumped in with that Seattle / grunge scene.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:40:03 PM PST
B-Jak says:
Be Bop Deluxe

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:54:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 8:46:11 PM PST
Killing Joke.
Therapy?
Clutch.
Paw.
Supersuckers.
Screaming Trees.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 1:33:23 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
I always come back to a few;
NRBQ, probably tops my list.....they've been covered by lots of of their peers (Dave Edmonds, Bonnie Rait & Los Lobos to name a few) & I think they've been featured on the Simpsons more than any other recording artist....life really aint fair.
The Action (uk 60's mod) produced by the birthday boy George Martin (his other group).....the mysteries of the universe keep comin.
The Sonics (of Seattle Wash) 60s rock- these guys were too raw for the primetime but were influential on detroit groups like Stooges & MC5.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:59:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 10:01:11 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Have 'Bigelf' got too big?

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:25:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 7:25:37 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Bruuce...he is only 5'9"

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:39:51 PM PST
U-tech says:
The Pixies
N.I.L.8.
Jellyfish
Motorhead
The Urge

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:52:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 1:01:32 AM PST
ahab
Bellowhead
The Bees
Jettblack

Jack Savoretti

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:28:27 PM PST
stevign says:
I don't know man, Frank Zappa just never seemed like the hugger type.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:22:56 PM PST
Moon Martin.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions