Customer Discussions > Music forum

What was the first record you bought and after you played it said "that was a waste of money!"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:13:37 PM PST
U-tech says:
Queen - Flash Gordon Soundtrack.

Uggghhh, what a horrible childhood memory that is ! Mommy, why did I spend my hard earned money for such a crappy album? It did make for a good frisbee.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:19:18 AM PST
B-Jak says:
Back in my teens I hit a sidewalk sale at the Harvard Coop. Records for 50 cents! I got a lot of great stuff that I just picked up 'cause I'd heard the bands name or the cover looked cool. Many of those albums remain amongst my favorites - Roxy's "For Your Pleasure', King Crimson's "Red". But one I just couldn't wrap my undeveloped mind around and that was Capt. Beefheart's "Mirror Man". OK, it was only 50 cents, but I felt cheated just because I'd heard that Beefheart was some amazing stuff. It took hearing "Trout Mask replica" 5 or 6 years later that it all started making sense, and I eventually picked up "Mirror Man" again with the necessary aural context with which to "get" what was going on.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:01:33 PM PST
This is easy...Metallica's "St. Anger". Uuhhhhhgggggg!

Listened to it ONCE, and shook my head thinking "What was that Crap?"

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:34:04 AM PST
Jethro Tull-Heavy Horse's
Rolling Stones-Emotional Rescue
PinK Floyd-The Wall
Jefferson Airplane/Starship-Freedom at point Zero

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:24:05 AM PST
I like The Final Cut, not as much as any of their earlier albums, but more than their Waters-less albums.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:03:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:10:56 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Since I've been gone for a week here are my stupid thoughts on some of the records mentioned...

Tull-Too Old to RnR-Very disappointing. I tried to listen to it again recently, still their worst in a string of great records from Benefit through Stormwatch.

Lennon-N.Y.C.-My favorite Lennon record along with Mind Games! Even the Yoko stuff is good! The "jam" is very obtuse, you hafta like Zappa.

Floyd-The Wall-Love it but you hafta listen to it from side to side. It's tough to jump in on any one song except for Numb.

Pete's Chinese Eyes-One of my all time favorite records!

Nine Lives suks.

Priest's Turbo I like. Out in the Cold is a favorite.

Never Say Die-Side one is fantastic, side two is not.

Bruuuce's Greetings is also a favorite minus Mary Queen of Arkansas.

Hot Space suks too although zlh67 loves it...May and Taylor are glad somebody bought it ;)

AND THE GRATEFUL DEAD RULE...EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:42:08 PM PST
I just did not like much at all by Floyd after Dark Side. I am not sure what exactly the difference is between the 2 periods. Maybe they sound more technical and less experimental? I don't know. But when I listen to albums like Piper, Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother I hear a whole different SOUND than I hear in The Wall or The Final Cut. I have to say that I am not familar with Roger's solo works so I can't express an opinion there. But there is just SOMETHING that must have affected me after Dark Side. As a matter of fact I can honestly say I like only 2 songs after Dark Side! That would be Wishing You Were Here and On The Turning Away. I can't explain it but something about their music must have changed and radically so for me to be able only to find 2 songs I liked! Especially after being such a fan of all those previous albums. I think Dark Side and Piper are 2 of the greatest albums in the history of rock! So it was not as though I was not a fan.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:42:19 AM PST
Oddly enough, in Nicholas Shaffner's Bio A Saucerful of Secrets, its reckoned that Waters brought sketches of Pros and Cons and the Wall to the band at the time and naturally, they chose to work on the Wall. The Final Cut came about as an extension of the Wall concept but around the time of the Falklands War that was occurring between the British and Argentina, Waters correlated his supressed feelings of losing his father in WWII along within the South Atlantic conflict that was occurring right under his nose; thus, it became a much more involved project. Some of the songs that got bumped from the Wall returned here(i.e. The Gunner's Dream, One of the Few) but were backed by new pieces from which Waters could build upon to make the record into something else. I like the Final Cut, but I don't consider it a Floyd record; there's no involvement from Gilmour in terms of writing collaboration and Wright was already absent from view, although Michael Kamen does a great job on the record.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:31:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:37:49 AM PST
B L T says:
The Final Cut is slowly growing on me and it does get a little better with every listen, but I'm pretty sure it won't rank too close to my Pink Floyd favorites.

I saw Roger Waters' "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking" tour and I like the album. I can't think of "The Final Cut" as anything other than Pink Floyd. (maybe it's just me)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:02:35 AM PST
Since some of you have posted the Wall as not being high up in the rankings of some of Floyd's other works, what do some of you think of the Final Cut? IMO, its Waters' first solo album with some help from Gilmour and Mason, taken in that context, its a solid record. As a proper Pink Floyd album, I beg to differ. The Wall was creatively interesting, not so much within the musical aspects as its lyrical scheme and concept is far stronger, yet there are some pieces such as Young Lust, Another Brick(all 3 pts), Goodbye Blue Sky, One of My Turns, The Show Must Go On, Hey You and Comfortably Numb which all display a power unto themselves and within the entire record as solid pieces of art, imo.

That being said, what's the verdict on the Final Cut?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:49:32 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
There must be a few that I can't remember, but the first one I do remember is Led Zep's "In Through the Out Door." All the magical riffs and songwriting seemed to be gone. To this day I can't stand that album. Another one would be Iggy and the Stooges "Metallic KO." I love the band's official releases, but this just sounded like poorly recorded anarchy - not the good kind. I've since softened on this one.

I get a kick out of E. Dill's response to the Roches!!! I got that album because of Fripp and Levin's participation, but I grew to love it. Also, I own a lot of Hawkwind that I rarely play.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:16:26 AM PST
I never liked The Wall and being a Pink Floyd fan, I wanted to like it and I've given it numerous tries. I think it ranks among the worst of PF albums. I think Dark Side, Piper, Saucefrul, Ummagumma, Atom Heart, Meddle, even the much ignored More soundtrack blows The Wall away. I know many are going to disagree with this and I guess after Dark Side, I did not like too much of what Floyd did afterwards. I even liked Gilmour's solo record (1978 I think) better than The Wall. But know a lot of people who say they are PF fans but they really don't know the early albums. That to me was when PF was at their most wonderful weird!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:20:16 AM PST
Working Man says:
As for Pink Floyd's "The Wall", I am not a fan either. I don't know maybe it's to British for me but I just don't enjoy it much. I own it and give it a spin from time to time but I just don't get much out of it.

As for Yes' "Union", it's not bad. I see it take a lot of criticism and while it's not great, I don't have any problem with it. I listen to it more that I do Pink Floyd's "The Wall", I not sure why I am making that comparison, other than I am commenting on those two albums here. There really is no comparison as "The Wall" is definitely a highly regarded album and many people like it, but it's also one of those love/hate albums.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:39:26 PM PST
If The Wall had any filler, we could call it mortar.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:19:09 PM PST
B L T says:
I'm lucky, "The Wall" is sorta like one long song to me. I don't hear any filler.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:08:15 PM PST
BLT-The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album and non-metal album. I love the way the short songs and non musical banter connects everything together. Some knuckleheads think of this as filler. They have no clue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:22:58 PM PST

I'm the kind of Yes fan that can find something to like in pretty much everything they've released, so I'd probably like at least a song or two. I'll grab it for a buck someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:17:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:21:31 PM PST
B L T says:
Rare Goat

Yeah, after "Ummagumma", "Meddle", "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here", and "Animals", I was anxiously expecting something more psychedelic and trippy with the release of "The Wall" and I was highly disappointed when it wasn't. A huge let down for me at the time. A good ol' buddy whose musical opinion I respect convinced me not to give up on "The Wall" and after a few more spins and paying more attention to the lyrics it finally hit me. And grew and grew and grew....to the point of, "Damn, that's the greatest rock album ever made and it is kind of trippy, just more subtle, more mature". Pink Floyd reached the peak of rock artistic creativity with "The Wall".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:54:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 10:55:55 AM PST
Union is just a corporate compromise from Clive Davis(Arista) to Phil Carson(Atlantic) and the wishful thinking that the 2 factions of YES at the time could exist commercially. As far as sales went, it did no better than the first ABWH record and in hindsight, its of slight interest to Yes fans, it also depends on what kind of fan you are, but it has no significance within the discography as something of any real merit or value within the legacy of the band, unfortunately, IMO.

Goat, check it out and see what you think. Proceed with Caution....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:46:23 AM PST
That's quite a shift in perspective, B. :o)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:52:55 AM PST
B L T says:
The first record I bought and after I played it said "that was a waste of money!" was Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I've been a fan of Pink Floyd's music since "Ummagumma", but I hated "The Wall" on first listen. I set it aside and didn't listen to it again for over ten years. Now, "The Wall" is my favorite album, and to me, the greatest rock album ever made.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:34:20 AM PST
I've still never heard Yes's "Union" album. I think it's about the only Yes album I don't have.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 8:30:05 AM PST
Working Man,

re: "Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" - Jethro Tull.

I'll second that one. Definitely an outlier in the 70s Tull catalog. I don't even like the hit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:48:37 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Ouch!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:53:43 PM PST
Led Zeppelin
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Best new artists (of any genre) 107 4 minutes ago
Like Dubstep? 8 6 minutes ago
Song Game - Part II ... 10 songs where... 1459 12 minutes ago
The 5 Least Impressive Beatle Songs 114 17 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 8363 21 minutes ago
The Music of Our Lives Vol III 5220 37 minutes ago
Album Battles 942 1 hour ago
Billy Joel vs. Bruce Springsteen 70 3 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2895 3 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4677 4 hours ago
New Music For 2015 812 4 hours ago
Art Garfunkel Calls Paul Simon Names 291 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions