Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles "Good Morning, Good Morning" or "Good Night"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1003 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2013 12:53:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 12:55:11 PM PST
I'll start out by picking what I assume will be the underdog here...

I LOVE "Good Night". It's in my Top 5 for The Beatles all time.

I do like "Good Morning, Good Morning" as well but "Good Night" is simply gorgeous.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 4:08:15 PM PST
Hinch says:
I like both. Goodnight was a great closer for the white album. It was written by John as a lullaby for Julian.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 4:45:56 PM PST
What about "Good Day, Sunshine"???

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:27:12 PM PST
How about "The Night Before" or "A Hard Day's Night" or "Things We Said Today" or "Yesterday"? haha

All Kidding aside, Good Morning, Good Morning is a GREAT little ditty...not a big fan of the Ringo sung tunes, cept With a Little Help and Octopus's Garden...and maybe the cover of Act Naturally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:53:58 PM PST
DKPete says:
If I had to choose which one of the two songs I'd keep in the catalog and which one I'd get rid of, Good Night would be the keeper. The melody, the orchestral arrangement, Ringo's vocal...and all that combined with it's placement as the closer on The Beatles White Album makes it pure magic for me.

...but I'd like to point out....Paul made such a big deal about Phil Spector adding female voices to his precious Long and Winding Road...but I heard no protest on the lavish female choruses on this track. In his knock-down of Spector's work, Paul had even gone so far as to say at one point that The Beatles would never use female voices on their records...talk about selective memory (and then there were the two Apple scruffs on Across The Universe and Patti and Yoko on Birthday...but I've really gone off-topic here...sorry Jeff).

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:34:39 PM PST
I would not rate Good Night or Good Morning Good Morning as first rate Beatles songs but I do like them. Probably about the same. But I like what Hinch pointed out about Good Night being a good closer to the White Album. I mean for that album that was a perfect ending.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 9:25:09 PM PST
Easy one for me- I like "Good Morning,Good Morning" better. A good Lennon rocker with a great guitar solo(by Paul). "Good Night"... I just never got it.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 9:40:33 PM PST
They're both five-star masterpieces in my book, easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 9:28:16 AM PST
Easy one for me too. I like the rocking "Good Morning, Good Morning". I do not play the sappy Good Night. I think the album should have ended with Number 9.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:24:38 AM PST
"Good Morning" is just one of the worst Beatles songs ever...throwaway lyrics, cheesy horn arrangements, annoying sound effects.

"Good Night" is fine for something that might be sung to a child or at the end of a broadway play in the late 60's. One of the many Beatles books I've read (I think it's the one titled "Here There and Everywhere") said that John recorded a version that was much better, but that it had been sort of a unwritten band policy that Ringo would be given one song on each album that suited his vocal range and personality.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:22:57 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:16:34 PM PST
N. Ying says:
Good Night should be viewed from the context of the whole album. I consider Revolution 9/Good Night as an outrageous yet brilliant double act of an album closer. The song itself is not bad, too. The use of an A-major chord in the second "Hm m m" in the bridge section of the G-major song shows that this is not your usual cheesy lullaby.

Good Morning Good Morning features some fantastic rhythmic shifts that Lennon seemed able to do in his sleep. Paul's guitar is kick-a_ _, too. They spent a lot of time putting in and arranging the sequence of animal sounds at the end, something like from small to big animals. The final animal sounds, by accident, segues neatly onto the opening guitar sound of Pepper reprise. A very good song by itself, it also fits the overall context of the album.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:31:20 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Like them both, used to sing "Good Night" to my kids as a lullaby when they were babies, a bit too old for that now. I might pick Good night because of that connection. Otherwise, it would have to be Good Morning.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 9:53:41 PM PST
John D. Muir says:
I like 'Good Morning, Good Morning' better of the two. 'Good Night' falls between two stools for me; Ringo doesn't sing it well enough to be a serious ballad and it's not quite pointed enough to be a good parody.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:38:55 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
@N.Ying: I think you have identified two important features of the songs that make them special. Moving to the A chord in the second line of the bridge of Goodnight is a typical Beatles unexpected chord change that made their music unique, as had been the case from the beginning. I also like Ringo's voice on Goodnight. I don't exactly know how to explain it, but it has a melancholy quality -- like a real father singing goodnight to a child. The rich orchestral backing contrasting with Ringo's plebeian voice creates a longingness that would not have been present had anyone else sung it.

The arrangement of Good Morning Good Morning also works for me with the different instruments, and the animal noises leading into "A Day In The Life" keeps up the illusion that the album is somehow of one piece, when in fact it is not the song cycle or unified work that people talked about at the time. How these different songs on Pepper held together so well still mystifies me (and lots of others, I suspect). I don't think it is just the lack of space between tracks. Something else is going on. I guess books have been written trying to identify what it is about the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 11:44:20 PM PST
N. Ying says:
To Mikey: Thanks for your comments. Interesting comments about Ringo's voice on Good Night. Until a few years ago, I thought Good Night was a Paul song sung by Paul! Those little vibratos done by Ringo, intentional or not, make his vocal sound like Paul's to me. I suspect they might also have slowed the tape up a little to get that dreamy quality in Ringo's voice (they did that with Paul's voice on She's Leaving Home). But never in a million years did I think that it was a John song. Lennon - what a talent.

Pepper is, of course, an entire subject by itself. LSD+special sound effects+tape loops+Indian instruments obviously play a big role in the overall sound and coherence. That said, I personally don't think its coherence is perfect from start to finish. I feel that, good songs as they are, She's Leaving Home and 64 are a bit out of place in that they don't sound psychedelic or experimental enough. Replace them with Strawberry and Penny, and the overall soundscape might have been even more consistent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 2:17:00 AM PST
Hinch says:
N. Ying, Lol! For a few years, I too thought Goodnight was sung by Paul. I think you're the first i've known who thought the same.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 3:28:06 AM PST
Mystikeye says:
I personally prefer Good Night to Good Morning.The orchestration is beautiful, too bad John didnt sing it cause he was too embarassed or thought it would'nt fit into his image at the time.I would love to hear his version though, it was written in Geoff Emericks book that John only did a demo and it was given to Ringo so he could practice singing on it.Gosh, I hope that turns up on Utube someday.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 5:55:49 AM PST
I saw 2 people mention that it was Paul who played the guitar solo on Good Morning, Good Morning, I never knew that. Just assumed it was George. I know Paul played some lead on other Beatles songs but did not know about this one. In thinkng about Pepper, George (who was really into the psychedelic thing) seems pretty not around much on Pepper except of course Within You Without You.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 7:58:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 8:00:43 AM PST
club 7 says:
good morning by a mile and is that george playing that blistering solo.
i get the feeling it's paul and if so why. Couldn't George pull off that much venom in a solo?
man that solo kills.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:37:18 AM PST
I'm starting to get the feeling George never played a lead guitar solo in his life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 3:38:56 PM PST
DKPete says:
Stephen...more Paul lead playig...Taxman...Back In The U.S.S.R....Another Girl...Ticket To Ride...Drive My Car...Sgt. Pepper title track....Benefit Of Mr. Kite...Paperback Writer riff....Tomorrow Never Knows....the guy was pretty good, no?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 3:44:46 PM PST
DKPete says:
Spiritual....All My Loving....Till There Was You...I'm Only Sleeping...Something...Nowhere man....I saw her Standing There.....I'm A Loser.....A Hard Day's Night...I feel Fine....the riff playng in She said, She Said....And Your Bird Can Sing (with Paul)....Old Brown Shoe....just a few George guitar standouts in my opinion.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:20:56 PM PST
@DKPete: let's not forget "And I Love Her", "Fixing A Hole", "Can't Buy Me Love", "Savoy Truffle", "I'm Down", "The End", "Let It Be"...more George standout moments. I was just reading an interview a UK music mag did with McCartney back in 2010 or so. Paul was asked to recall any particular moments in the studio where George contributed something special. He immediately responded with "And I Love Her", saying that he had thought he had brought the song to the group complete, only to have George add its distinctive "dum-dum-dum-dum" guitar intro, which repeats throughout the song. Paul felt that it made the song (which it partly does!). He then said that there were too many other examples to count and that George ended up contributing vastly to practically every track. He had high, high praise in that interview for "Within You Without You"--which he called a landmark recording, which it of course is--and "The Inner Light", which he stressed was *beautiful* (the word was put in italics). And of course the "Abbey Road" songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 5:41:47 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Good Morning by a mile. It's witty and rocks. I love he stripped down version on Anthology.

Good Night is OK. Ringo's sounds tired. I wish the Fabs had added some backing harmony vocals and cut back the syrupy string arrangement. And keep he spoken word intro. Is it too late to go back now?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 226 1 minute ago
What song of yesteryear sounds like it would fit into today's top 40 or in the music scene 2014? 4 41 minutes ago
Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassingly brilliant leaked audio clip 15 58 minutes ago
When was the last time you stood in a line for concert tickets on the first day they went on sale? 17 1 hour ago
Create a 4-album box set (as in LP record albums) of perfect album sides by sixties artists who were successful in the seventies... 5 1 hour ago
Your Favorite Joyous Songs 47 1 hour ago
Official discussion/action thread for LOUDNESS WAR resolution and the rebirth of DYNAMICS. Let's put our minds together and execute some affirmative, sensible, and logical action. 152 1 hour ago
Your one favorite Twiilight zone episode. I know it's not music but... 246 1 hour ago
Roger Waters says "I was wrong" regarding Pink Floyd legal battles and says he will record a new solo album. 130 1 hour ago
Billy Joel: Opinions Both Who Love Him And Hate Him? 101 1 hour ago
What is the saddest song you have ever heard? 3651 1 hour ago
Purchased a song and downloaded it.. Now won't play and wants me to sign up for prime. 6 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  1003
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions