Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Who vs. Led Zeppelin....which one do you prefer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 474 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 24, 2011 9:14:51 AM PDT
B. rogers says:
Dmitri...why do you feel like you're "supposed" to prefer Zeppelin? If anything, I've always thought The Who was a band you were "supposed" to like. I do love The Who, but they have always been much 'hipper" amongst rock snobs and elites.

I prefer Zeppelin...although I've reached burnout level as I've heard all of their albums COUNTLESS times, and actually find myself reaching for The Who a bit more recently.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 9:19:45 AM PDT
Dmitri says:
B. rogers

I can only say that Led Zep seemed like the cool band and the Who were more nerdy. But that was my experience growing up. Yours of course may have differed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 3:11:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2011 3:15:47 PM PDT
bass boy says:
While it's probably true that more men than women listen to The Who, it's ridiculous to claim that only guys dig The Who. My wife is a massive Who fan, and a couple girls I dated long before I got married liked The Who as well. My sister-in-law went and saw them twice in concert with my brother and I and really liked them, and I have several female musician friends who I used to play in bands with who really like The Who. Also, of the five Who concerts I've seen in person, many women and girls were in the crowd. A woman on the first row at my first Who concert held up a sign, asking for Pete's guitar pick. He teased her in what sounded like a cold-hearted tone before throwing her two guitar picks.

P.S. Regarding the "supposed to like band" comment, I always found that Zeppelin was more the band that we all are "supposed to like" and The Who have been beaten up on much more. Movie director Quinten Tarintino once said "Yeah, we're all supposed to like The Who but not all of us do." I had to laugh when I heard that, because I found that other bands like Zeppelin, Nirvana, Green Day, Dylan, etc. are bands that we aren't ever supposed to say bad things about. My coworkers are so puzzled why I prefer The Who to the Grateful Dead and Ramones. I've experienced more people bad-mouthing The Who than Zeppelin and any other band. It's too bad, because The Who rule. :)

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 3:35:49 PM PDT
Whim says:
Both overrated,but were best on their first few albums...

Sorry, you may be right about Led Zeppelin, but, The Who's best albums were from 1969's "Tommy" through "Quadrophenia" in about 1973. Their first few albums were rather spotty. You are right, hoiwever, that for Zep it was all downhill after album # 4.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 9:56:54 PM PDT
scottnaye says:
The Who live, Led Zeppelin in recordings...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 7:57:11 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
I LOVE The Who's first album, "My Generation".

Raw and Powerful. And a lot of fun.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 8:58:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 11:00:25 AM PDT
Feldman says:
Led Zeppelin (1969) - US Bill Board Peak at #10
Led Zeppelin II (1969) - US Bill Board Peak at #1
Led Zeppelin III (1970) - US Bill Board Peak at #1
Led Zeppelin IV (1971) - US Bill Board Peak at #2
Houses of the Holy (1973) - US Bill Board Peak at #1
Physical Graffiti (1975) - US Bill Board Peak at #1
Presence (1976) - US Bill Board Peak at #1
In Through the Out Door (1979) - US Bill Board Peak at #1

1965 - My Generation - US Bill Board Peak at #Didn't Chart
1966 - A Quick One - US Bill Board Peak at #Didn't Chart
1967 - The Who Sell Out - US Bill Board Peak at #Didn't Chart
1969 - Tommy - US Bill Board Peak at #4
1971 - Who's Next - US Bill Board Peak at #4
1973 - Quadrophenia - US Bill Board Peak at #2
1975 - The Who by Numbers - US Bill Board Peak at #8
1978 - Who Are You - US Bill Board Peak at #2

Edited to add live albums:
1976 - Song remains The Same - US Billboard peaked at #2
1970 - Live At Leeds - US Billboard peaked at #4

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 9:28:21 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
The Who were largely a singles band prior to 1969 and "Tommy". I love the Who but don't really listen to any of their albums before "Tommy", just the singles and a few select album cuts. Their peak though was definitely 1969-73, both in terms of recorded output and their live shows. Not sure where "Live at Leeds" would have placed on the charts, but if you include that in, their 1969-73 run of albums, ("Tommy", "Leeds", "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia") you get a run that stacks up pretty well against any 4 album run by another artist.

If you instead make that run "My Generation", "A Quick One", "The Who Sell Out" and "Tommy", it's not nearly as strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 10:12:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 12:07:23 PM PDT
DavRay says:
Re: '... Who's Next and Quadrophenia, you get a run that stacks up against any other artist.'

Who's Next always struck me as formulaic in the extreme. As to Quadrophenia, never listened, because figured it had to be down hill after Tommy.

We all have our idiosyncrasies. Some more idiotic than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 10:22:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 10:22:37 AM PDT
bass boy says:
Wow, you've never heard "Quadrophenia" out of a fear that it wouldn't measure up to "Tommy"? Entwistle's and Moon's playing are, as a whole over the course of an entire album, better on "Quadrophenia" by a country mile, and Townshend's voice sounds better on "Quadrophenia." I love "Tommy," but "Quadrophenia," because of the performances, wins. No disrespect, but I can't imagine ignoring a record like "Quadrophenia." It's fantastic. I love the arrangements (and the arrangements of "Tommy")

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 10:24:01 AM PDT
Emmauskevink says:
WhoZepLed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 10:39:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 12:05:42 PM PDT
DavRay says:
I know; it's crazy.

It will be ordered straightaway.

What a time warp!

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 10:50:46 AM PDT
Patrick says:
This is silly, its like fighting between beer and pizza...um lots of both please! You can also add in a sprinkle of Stones, a touch of Beatles, a pinch of Kinks and a sliver of Sabbath while your at it. The are 2 in the pantheon of the 20 greatest rock bands of all time, to put labels like grunge, metal, prog ect is all in the ear of the beholder.

I regret that I never got to see Zep live. Seen the Stones and they put on a great show, saw Macca solo and it was another good show. Saw The Who and it was one of the loudest shows I ever heard even louder than AC/DC but oddly enough the loudest show I ever saw was INXS of all people (Loud is not equatable to good but I liked the show)

personally I would reach for a who CD 9/10 as oppossed to a Zep cd but thats just me...I like them both.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 12:54:45 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
"Who's Next" is... "formulaic"? What formula exactly would you say they were following and... who made it? It certainly doesn't sound like any Who album before it (or since, really). I mean, to each his own, but whether you like The Who or not, this has to be considered one of their 2 or 3 best if not their very best albums, and it's stood the test of time as a true rock classic, and "formulaic" (which I equate to "predictable" but maygbe that's not what you meant) albums don't generally acheive that...

Re, Quad, I actually prefer Who's Next and Tommy, but it's still a very good album and I'm looking forward to seeing Pete and Roger tour it next year. In some ways it's better than Tommy (better production for one; it sounds richer, fuller, more powerful). I personally don't get into the themes/storyline as much as I do on Tommy, but as a result, some of the Quad songs stand better on their own. "The Real Me," "5:15", "Dr Jimmy", "Love, Reign O'er Me".... It's good stuff and if you're anything of a Who fan, a must have.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 2:18:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 2:18:49 PM PDT
bass boy says:
There's nothing formulaic about "Who's Next." Those synthesizers intros to "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" still sound like they came from Mars just 10 seconds ago (read: fresh, exciting, nothing like what another band/artist did back then, before or since.) Roger in peak vocal form, Moon in peak drum form, Entwistle near his peak (he actually got better on the bass from "Quadrophenia" on, dying in 2002 at the "top of his game" on his instrument), and Pete in a wonderfully inspired state. Pete, like the Ox, got even better on guitar as the 1970s carried on .... check out Pete's wild-man playing on "Road Runner/My Generation" from 1975 in "The Kids Are Alright" film. The Who's 2000 tour is another example of how Pete's lead playing improved since the 1960s.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 3:03:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 5:50:14 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@zig67,

There's some sacrilege there, I know.

'Who's Next' has always struck me as The Who recording what The Who thought the Who should record. Hence, formulaic.

Not in the sense of 'predictable' so much as literally in accordance with some perceived formula.

If I didn't consider The Who transformative on all levels, I would cite 'Won't Get Fooled Again' as Exh. A; Exh. B = 'Baba O'Riley.'

By contrast, 'The Who Sell Out' is pure Who - imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 3:11:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 4:57:37 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@bass boy,

Think you veer off there a bit, but as to 'There's nothing formulaic about Who's Next:' With respect, it is formulaically extreme - in my opinion.

Especially 'Won't Get Fooled Again.'

'Peak form' doesn't count for much if the format is worn. Which of course is the premise.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 3:56:14 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Interesting take, but if you know the story behind the "Who's Next" album, it was FAR from a formulaic thing that they premeditated. "Who's Next" was actually an aborted attempt at a double album for another Tommy-styled rock opera concept called "Lifehouse" that had to do with...

Well, Pete Townshend himself could never really explain it, so I won't try here, but suffice to say it didn't quite come together and he was more or less forced to abandon the concept, pick some of the best songs (to which Entwistle's "My Wife" was added) and release it as a single non-concept album. Townshend was actually disappointed and somewhat devastated that Lifehouse never came to be and "Who's Next" was pretty far from what he had in mind, but it's what they were able to do at the time, which.... weren't half bad!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifehouse_(rock_opera)

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 4:12:38 PM PDT
brady71 says:
gotta go with THE WHO

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 4:21:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 4:33:06 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@zih67,

Re: '... if you know the story ....'

'Lifehouse' - knew nothing about it. Pretty interesting.

Re: '... (Who's Next) FAR from a formulaic thing that they premeditated.'

Am not alleging premeditated tediousness as much as something more subconscious. That is, done without their really realizing that's what they were doing. Doesn't make it any less formulaic. In my op.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 4:31:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 5:15:10 PM PDT
DavRay says:
@Patrick,

Re: 'The Who ... one of loudest shows/louder that AC/DC even.'

Never go see Ministry if you value your hearing at all. Ear plugs are worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 4:56:04 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
M. Jones,

I love Dylan, but in regards to his '60's streak of albums, the albums he released in '63 and '64 - albeit great - can't really be considered rock 'n roll. It wasn't until the electric side of 'Bringing It All Back Home' in 1965 that he truly embraced rock as an art form. And 'The Basement Tapes', which he recorded with the Band in 1967 while recuperating from his motorcycle accident, wasn't officially released until 1975.

So, you are left with three masterpieces -- 'Bringing It All Back Home', 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blonde on Blonde'. Tremendous and influential works of art, but three albums does not equal the streak that was left behind by both the Beatles and the Stones.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 5:13:01 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
'Who's Next' is the most consistent rock album I've ever heard. From start-to-finish, it's incredibly powerful, thoughtful, rocking and melodic at the same time.

Now...let's take 'Led Zeppelin IV' from the same year. "Black Dog" -- one riff repeated over-and-over again, with nonsensical lyrics to boot. "Rock 'n Roll" -- OK, this is a pretty great one, a real toe-tapper. "The Battle of Evermore" -- gothic-sounding and interesting from a British and Celtic folk perspective, but rather forgettable once the imagery passes. "Stairway to Heaven" -- no denying it, one of the great rock anthems. "Misty Mountain Hop" -- ah, yes, Robert showing his usual sensitivity towards women ! And, once again, one riff repeated over-and-over. "Four Sticks" -- Robert sounding like he's on helium, while Jimmy riffs away at some LSD-influenced, mystical war lord battle. "Going to California" -- a nice, cute little peace-and-love tune that should have been released around the time of Monterey Pop in '67. "When the Levee Breaks" --another uncredited blues rip-off, and Bonzo sounding like he found the ideal garbage cans to smash away at after spending the afternoon in the pub.

Advantage: the Who.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 5:23:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2011 5:37:36 PM PDT
DavRay says:
Nice review.

As for 'Blonde on Blonde,' always considered that the Bob Dylan equivalent of 'Who's Next.' And verse visa.

On the flip side, as it were, I rank Tommy #1 all time, followed by Highway 61, ... with Village Green squeezed in between.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 6:21:12 PM PDT
The Who were more original, but Led Zeppelin was the epitome of rock music as a whole, plus The Who had many times where I was either partially or entirely lost in what they were doing, either lyrically or musically, likely because I'm a tad bit stupid. But, hey, who doesn't put on Kashmir and feel instantaneously like they're the master of the universe?
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  474
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions