Customer Discussions > Music forum

Sandy 12-12-12 Benefit Concert Live Blog

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-44 of 44 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:35:08 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I bet if we'd all chipped in a buck a tune they might still be playing...

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:37:17 AM PST
As I understand it, ALL performers were allotted a half hour set.

If you caught Steve Buscemi's comments after their set, it was pretty clear that the Stones had been expected to play longer.

The general consensus, from the online comments that I've seen, seems to be that The Stones didn't want to perform too long last night on "Free TV" out of fear that it might hurt sales for their "Pay Per View" Concert this Saturday.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:51:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 11:52:25 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I wonder if only playing two songs hurt?

For $45 I hope for 23 songs...that would be about $2 a tune.
If they played all of Exile and nothing else I'd drop $100...about $5 a tune.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:47:59 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
I thought the Stones nailed it. 2 songs, wet the appetite and get off. They played well although Keef looking less robust, no crouches to the floor or running around like 2005-2007.

Clapton's set was strong. Didn't that rhythm section once back up Neil Young.

The wHo were OK, Pete quite animated but Roger seemed a bit tired. And he should have kept his shirt buttoned. They went too long.

I loved Jagger's comment about this being the biggest collection of old british musicians ever in once spot, all together at the Garden.

I haven't got beyond the wHo yet on thethe DVR.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:42:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 1:44:04 PM PST
"The Stones could have played a medley from Dirty Work...that would have made some minds bleed"

Yeah, that would have stumped that middle aged cell-phone crowd back to their mansions shaking their heads cos' it wasn't "Satisfaction" for the 6,239th time but, as this event was running way late it was nice of Mick and Keith to allow Sir Paul and The Who have longer sets.

It was O.K. for what it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:50:54 PM PST
Philip,
Who said that Roger was like the drunk uncle who takes off his shirt at family parties?
Was that the Edge playing with the Who?
John

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:52:17 PM PST
Brian Williams made the drunk uncle comment. The guitarist with the cap on was Simon Townshend, Pete's younger brother. He has been playing rhythm guitar and doing backup vocals with the group for many years now.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:01:33 PM PST
Was that Kanye West and Olivia Wilde as presenters. I have a little bet going. I say it is.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:05:21 PM PST
eastrich2010 says:
the best performances were eddie vedder with roger waters and clapton with just a bassist and drummer cranking out the heavy power trio format,I didnt think he had it in him anymore,it rocked HARD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 3:11:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 3:13:55 PM PST
John ~

That "drunk uncle" bit from SNL is when I took a bathroom break and it's a bad Chris Farley in my book and was a plug for that TV show and that is what I find wrong in an 'event' such as this concert as it's too close to a PBS fundraiser and the commercials over-power the show. It's tough to be preached to when you want to enjoy music.

When, The Who hit the stage I thought it was the Edge on 2nd guitar but, I do believe it was Simon Townshend (Pete's younger brother) over there with Pino (the camera caught Pino once and Simon/The Edge didn't get a shot) but Bass Boy would know just whom the second guitarist was. My question is....Who was the grey haired piano player? I didn't see Rabbit on that stage.

WOOF EDIT: I see your post BrownFingers...THANX!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 3:17:31 PM PST
naldo says:
Philip,
Horrible bit, you didn't miss anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 3:25:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 3:25:56 PM PST
naldo ~

The real problem is (and you can bet they said it) on FOX News today some bleached blonde (sorry Don Henley!) said: "Here's a clip from the 12-12-12 show last night with this great bit of Drunk-Uncle!" (after clip) "Wasn't that great?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:34:09 PM PST
Not Kanye West, but Sean "Puffy" "P. Diddy" "Whatever" Combs.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:44:04 PM PST
NiggerPlease says:
The old white people made Kanye West sound like the talentless excrement he is.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:19:52 PM PST
naldo says:
Philip,
Sad but true.

Thomas,
Not hard to do, though.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:15:48 PM PST
Thanks for the info BF Davis.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:06:17 PM PST
Were the high priced tickets for the concert going to charity? Or you could write it off on your income tax. Someone said that tickets were going as high as $20.000. So it was a benefit and that was going to the victims of Hurricane Sandy? So you were donating 20.000 to charity, not outrageous ticket prices. Am I making sense? Could somebody clarify this for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:59:03 PM PST
The face value of the ticket is a charitable donation.

However people were buying the tickets at face value and then scalping them.
So the charity got the money paid by the original scalper, but anything they sold it for over that amount was simply profit to the scalper.

Thousands of dollars in many cases.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:11:40 PM PST
Thanks Cy for the info.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions