Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Halloween
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 389 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:21:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 5:52:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 10:27:51 PM PST
I think the B side of Honky Tonk Woman was 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', which was edited.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 10:55:55 PM PST
"Helper" only appears on the 80 track super deluxe version of Grrr.

"Honky" is a 3 minute song and there has never been an edited version. Some of the edits on the set are "You Can't Always Get..." which edits out the choir in the beginning.."Only Rock And Roll" is an edit and some other 70s and 80s tracks like "Emotional Rescue" I think.

I own all of these songs but Amazon UK is selling a Blu-Ray version so it's 50 songs on one disc in pristine sound for about $20.00. I'm pretty curious to hear that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 12:54:56 AM PST
Craig says:
"Through the Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2)" also on Hot Rocks Vol 1 or the box set "The London Years"

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 5:10:08 AM PST
The markets have been truely flooded with just about everyone and the Stones are no different. When I think of how many times I purchased Stones songs! When I was real young and only had money for 45's I got lot's of Stones. High Tides And Green Grass was great but by the time I had found out about it I had most of the songs...and I liked the B Sides too! My first Stones vinyl was Through The Past Darkley and took care of my Stones collection for a spell excepting more singles as they came out like Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and Angie. And I remember getting Flowers as well. By the time CD's came into play I got Hot Rocks to have all these great songs on CD but then I started to get the individual albums. I kind of wish I had taken that route right from the start. I like the early Stones stuff. I know many of their early albums get negative reponse but not from me. I like every Stones album in the 60's. Some from the 70's and a couple from the 80's. I kept my vinyl of Through The Past Darkly because I love the art work. I don't know why I am holding on to Hot Rocks and I don't like the new stuff on GRR. The other comps are unnecessary for me. I suppose if I were just starting out any of the comps would be ok. But I would recommend stratrting slowly and cheaply because you might end up like me enjoying (maybe not all but many) of their albums. Not just the great albums like Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers but Now, Out Of Our Heads, Englands Newest Hitmakers and all those other wonderful albums. I guess I am saying the Stones are more than just a great singles band. I know people say the covers and other tracks on these albums are only fillers. Well if they are, they are darn good fillers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:17:33 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
As much as I loved the 'High Tides and Green Grass' and 'Through the Past, Darkly' compilations - and they were great in their time - they were completely eclipsed by 'The London Years'. This has all of their '60s singles and b-sides (including Honky Tonk Women and the original single mix of You Can't Always Get What You Want without the choir) as well as the first few singles from the early '70s. The band is long overdue a comprehensive rarities box but 'Flowers' and 'Metamorphosis' were decent enough teasers for the '60s Stones era.

For those who want to dig deeper than the hits certain albums are pretty much indispensable - Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers - while others (Between The Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request, Exile on Main Street, Goats Head Soup, Some Girls) are more a matter of individual taste. (I personally feel the band lost the plot a bit after Sticky Fingers and seriously slid after Goats Head Soup but I know many disagree.)

For someone who just wants the major hits 'Forty Licks' was a pretty fair selection, if you can still find it. 'Grrr' has a truly hideous cover and seems unnecessary.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:01:26 AM PST
I agree the Stones (although there were still some good songs) had passed their peak years after Sticky Fingers. The last album they put out that was decent was Tatoo You. After that, they really lost me. I did like some of the songs quite a bit on Mick Jagger's Wandering Spirit album.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:08:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:10:35 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Good morning, all:

For discussion's sake, I offer my latest early Stone's 2-cd mix, so in essence, this is Grandpa's 40 Licks (even though I deliver additional value through 8 bonus tracks).

Disc 1:
2-The Last Time
3-As Tears Go By
4-Time Is On My Side
5-It's All Over Now
6-Tell Me
7-19th Nervous Breakdown
8-Heart of Stone
9-Get Off My Cloud
10-Not Fade Away
11-Good Times, Bad Times
12-Play With Fire
13-Around and Around
14-Everybody Needs Someone to Love
15-Surprise, Surprise
16-She Said Yeah (Live)
17-Mercy, Mercy
18-Hitch Hike
19-Gotta Get Away
20-The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
21-I'm Free
22-Blue Turns to Grey
23-Paint It Black
24-Lady Jane
25-Under My Thumb
27-Out of Time

Disc 2:

28-Ruby Tuesday
29-Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby,...
30-Let's Spend The Night Together
31-My Girl
32-Please Go Home
33-Mother's Little Helper
34-Take It Or leave It
35-Sittin' On A Fence
36-Jumpin' Jack Flash
37-Child of the Moon (remake)
38-Honky Tonk Woman (what started this discussion....excellent!)
41-She's A Rainbow
42-The Lantern
43-2000 Light Years From Home
44-Dear Doctor
45-Salt Of The Earth
46-Gimme Shelter
47-You Can't Always Get What You Want (full version)
48-Street Fighting Man (Live Ya-Ya's Out version)

Then score Get Your Ya-Ya's Out.

I have been compiling Stones' mixes in cassette and cd formats since about 1973, and this is my fave, even though I couldn't squeeze in Monkey Man or Let It Bleed......

All the best,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:21:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:22:32 AM PST
..or Sympathy..

And a personal fave of mine...Backstreet Girl

"Mercy Mercy" good call GT.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:26:01 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Thanks, Exile:

I had Sympathy covered with Ya-Ya's. I am also a fan of Backstreet Girl, along with Stupid Girl from Aftermath.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:44:21 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
What a great comp! For whatever reason I never much cared for 'Have You Seen Your Mother...' so personally would be tempted to substitute 'Ride On Baby' from the Flowers compilation.

The band had a short but interesting fling with pop in '66 and '67 (Lady Jane, Out of Time, Ruby Tuesday) before even more briefly experimenting with psychedelia (Dandelion/We Love You; Their Satanic Majesties Request). The Flowers compilation took in much of this along with Between The Buttons, and it seems to have been part of their career that is least often taken on its own merits. No wonder perhaps, as it was overshadowed by their earlier and rougher R&B/blues focus and the harder rock direction that they ushered in with Jumpin' Jack Flash in '68.

The Rolling Stones have been around so long that it's been way too easy to take them for granted and, in the process forget just how vital and exciting their music was between roughly '65 and '72.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:07:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 11:20:33 AM PST
alysha25 says:
I recently caught The Stones "Live at the Max" Steel Wheels European concert, it was on either the Pladia or Axs channel, and I recorded it. I've been enjoying watching it! I didn't realize how Watching them definitely adds a whole new dimension to the Stones! I have "40 Licks" 4 DVD set , got it as a gift years ago, and for some unknown reason I've never watched it.

During "Honky Tonk Women" on Live at the Max, they erect these big balloons of women, it's pretty funny. I love "Paint it Black" and especially "2000 Light Years from Home". I notice 40 Licks DVD does not have "2000 Light Years From Home".

Right now on CD, I only have "Hot Rocks" and "Let it Bleed". And I just ordered "Satanic Majesties". Hey I have a QUESTION for any of you trivia brains out there - I know there was a Vinyl version of "Satanic Majesties Request" with a 3D cover (Oh how I would love to have that!) BUT was there ever , or is there a CD with the 3D cover art?

Long ago I had the album on vinyl, my memory of it is pretty fuzzy though ( :o) ) I'm pretty sure it was Not 3D. I googled it and came up with pictures of the old vinyl artwork. Also I noticed Some of the marketplace sellers are selling the CD for up to $300.00 ! I wondered IF maybe it had the 3D art, but of course they don't say. I would not pay That much for it. But I would pay a bit more if I found a CD that had the 3D artwork.

edit: I agree with whoever said "grrrr" has a hideous cover! I Know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and all that , but , I can't seem to get past it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 11:31:01 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:

Thanks for your kind words. I agree about Ride On Baby. I love the Flowers release, and definitely agree I like their 60's-mid 70's period best. I saw them in 1975 with the Eagles in Milwaukee for $10. Both were exceptional that day, yet as you can imagine, the Stones ruled! It was outdoors on a beautiful sunny June Sunday afternoon.

I like their Virgin years also. LOTS of essential music would be created from Sticky Fingers onward, just not the same after Brian's unfortunate exit.

I'm a little different in that my favorite middle period album is 'It's Only Rock and Roll'. Luxury. Fingerprint File. The title track. Short and Curlies. Ain't too Proud to Beg. Time Waits For No One, which is likely my favorite Stones track since Ya-Ya's.

Enjoy your Saturday,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 12:18:46 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Hi, alysha:

Curious. How well does 2000 Light Years... deliver live? The Majesties' Request highly produced material would seem difficult to perform live.

I think you'll like Request if you go in fresh without a bunch of expectations. I have always liked the album.

I know everyone has their best albums, and if you liked the MAX live set, pick up Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! and listen to the band live at their peak, in Madison Square Garden, 1969.

BTW, I agree with GRR. The art and song selection, as I own every one except the new tracks, and the samples don't excite me. I'm returning mine to the store this week. Impulse purchase that I regret.

All the best,

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 12:40:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 12:43:56 PM PST
Through The Past Darkly was the 1st album I bought. And it was for HTW incidently. Became a major fan ever since.

Bernard, the UK version can be gotten on the HQ Tracks web site as a high rez digital FLAC download. No CD though. They released all the UK albums on that website, including #1 and #2, and the UK High Tide Green Grass.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 1:43:21 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
There is a Japanese mini Lp CD version of Their Satanic Majesties Request that faithfully restores all artwork including the lenticular cover. It's a DSD remaster and sounds great, not to mention looks fantastic. You can probably still find copies on eBay for under $40.00.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 2:20:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 2:26:52 PM PST
alysha25 says:
@Grandpa Tom, I think "2000 Light Years" sounded Great Live! Of course, There were a bunch of psychedelic lighting effects. I'm not sure how much of that was there if you actually saw it live, OR if it was put in for the T.V. concert? And it seemed very - multidimensional and Dramatic. But Mick Jagger is Good at - Dramatic! Perhaps it is difficult to perform Live? Maybe that's why I don't recall seeing it on many live concerts? He tried to act out the spaceman thing a bit. I would love to collect All their albums , perhaps in due time.

@onsenkuma, I thought of that, maybe a japanese version. Not sure I'll bother to pursue it to EBay, but I'll keep an eye out for that version, maybe even here at amazon. I'm curious what the $300.00 ones are exactly! Can you imagine paying that much?!

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 2:26:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 2:28:19 PM PST
The best Stones compilation out there, for my money, is the updated version of "Rolled Gold" released about five years ago. This was a 28-track compilation released in 1975 that had 12 more tracks added for the update. It covers the same 1964-71 period as "Hot Rocks" but the song selection is more comprehensive and even dips into the occasional album cut. Here's the track listing (the wiki article covers both the old and updated versions):

There's only a few changes I would make with the track listing (I'd add "Back Street Girl" and "Connection" to disc one, as there is still room on the disc for those, and I'd delete "Let It Bleed" from disc two and add in "Sister Morphine" and "B***h"). I know it misses anything after 1971 but this would be my personal third disc to the set, covering the 1972-81 period (everything after 1981 is a bit of a wash to me, so no need to cover that era):

Rip This Joint
Tumbling Dice
Loving Cup
All Down The Line
Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Star Star
It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Time Waits For No One
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Waiting On A Friend

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 4:08:30 PM PST
Grandpa, The Stones AND The Eagles for ten bucks! Oh those were the days! I agree about Satantic Majesties. I don't say it's one of their greatest albums but I never thought it was as bad as many made it out to be. She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years of awesome Stone tracks. And yes, whoever said the cover of Grr is ugly is right! My fave Stones covers are Let It Bleed and Through The Past Darkly.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 4:22:47 PM PST
Comment Man says:
By the by the song honky tonk woman begans something like I met her in Jackson/ she took me upstairs for a ride...I assumed they meant Jackson Ms. I made the mistake of visiting Jackson.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 4:49:46 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Well, this whole discussion, which I've been enjoying immensely and mining for suggestions, has gotten a lot more urgent for me. I went to get my sole Rolling Stones album, an LP of concert performances including Honkey Tonk Woman, and it wasn't where it was the last time I saw it. Since I really want to hear it, I've spent the last hour looking for it, without luck. I'm quite sure I never loaned it to anyone because most of my friends and acquaintances either never cared for the Stones or no longer have record playing equipment. If I catch those Rolling Stones loving mice who carried it away, there's going to be h*ll to pay!

I'm not a happy camper at the moment.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:18:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 7:19:37 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
OK, it's crunch time, gang. I have decided to make the choice between GRRR! (3 disc edition) and Hot Rocks (1964-1971). Hot Rocks is a two disc set concentrating on the bands' early years. Which would you recommend and why?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:26:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 7:26:46 PM PST
Music Lover
Thanks for the info.
I've also got the UK version of "High Tide..." which also has a different track selection, and different front cover. All it really shares with the US version on CD is the title.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:26:36 PM PST
@Cavardossi: no, get "Rolled Gold"! I had a post on it a few hours ago. It's like "Hot Rocks", but better. GRRR! would be better if you also wanted post-1971 material represented. It depends on how much you like the later era of the familiar are you with the Stones?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 7:40:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 7:45:25 PM PST
Good list, I thought I had all the songs, but not sure if I have the live 'She Said Yeah'
Got the studio version, of course.
I've got two versions of 'Everybody Needs Somebody to Love' the US and UK versions, both are entirely different recordings . I guess the song on your list is the US one from 'Now!" (?)
I've got 'Child of the Moon' but not sure what you mean by 'remake'. Not a re-recording?

I've also made a two disc set of Stones' songs from the 60's era, play them a lot.
I titled them Gather No Moss Vols. 1 & 2
I also made a one disc set of the Mick Taylor years as well.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions