Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 389 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 5, 2013 8:01:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 6:23:37 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Hi, Bernard:

Thanks for the nice reply. The version I prefer of SHE SAID YEAH-live is taken from the US album December's Children. (EDIT: My mistake. This version is indeed Studio. I always thought it was a live track).

Yes, my default version of EVERYBODY comes from NOW!, which I really like. I placed a couple tracks from NOW! in my mix list. Where is the UK version found?

CHILD OF THE MOON is labeled a remake on Hot Rocks 2-Big Hits and Fazed Cookies and also the 3-cd Singles Collection-The London Years. I don't really know what that means, but on the albums, CHILD... is followed by (rmk). I don't still have my 45 to compare. I don't believe it's re-recorded but may be remixed (?).

I also love the Taylor years. Silver Train seldom gets mentioned, yet rocks with energy to burn. Ya-Ya's, Exile, Time Waits for No One, I Got The Blues..... the perfect successor to Brian. What is on your Taylor mix?

All the best,
GT

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:34:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 9:36:44 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Michael Topper

Rolled Gold sounds like a winner, but the problem is that, apparently, it was never released on CD in the US. There is a 2 CD version listed here on Amazon, very evidently out of print, with new copies starting at $110 and used beginning at $60. I'm afraid that's too much for my wallet right now. The few LP copies offered, I gather, date back to 1975 and are used, also too high priced for used LPs.

Did you get your CD copy from the UK? What did it cost you?

To answer your other question, I don't know too much about the Stones from about the early seventies on. I may want to investigate some of the later stuff at some time in the near future, but right now my focus is on the sixties to early seventies, the songs I remember.

As I read about the Rolling Stones recorded legacy on CD it comes across as pretty messy. Lots of posters here on Amazon don't seem too happy about the various CD releases of the Stones' classic material. While there is certainly praise, there does seem to be a surprisingly large number of negative reviews from the fans. Complaints range from the actual selections included to dissatisfaction with the sound of the recordings on CDs, mainly remastering problems. It all adds up to a rather confusing picture for someone like me wanting tonged back into the Stones after many years away.

One good thing: I see that Amazon offers the CD version of that live performance LP I have, Get You Ya-Yas Out! I will be ordering that at the same time as one of the compilation sets.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:41:33 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Michael Topper

I guess what I'm hoping for is to get as much of the early material as possible, and some of the later songs so I can hear what they were up to and see if it also appeals to me.

It seems no reasonably priced compilation does actually does that. One thing that concerns me about the 3 CD set of GRRR! is that it might shortchange the early years to get in the later ones as well. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've had looking at the contents. Still, it's one of the two I'm leaning toward.

Tomorrow, I need to check Amazon. UK to see if Rolling Gold can be reasonably purchased from over there.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:41:59 PM PST
alysha25 says:
@Cavardossi, years ago you went to a record store and bought a record, end of story! Now you have 9 choices of the Same album, and hundreds of people's opinions to go with it! I almost bought that new Led Zeppelin Album , Celebration day is it? But the problem is it comes in NINE versions! And of course the most expensive version is the one I want, and of course is most recommended. But I think it's too expensive, so I just haven't bought it at all.

With the Stones though, I would almost start with a few studio albums. I noticed all the Stones albums are relatively pricey, probably due to their popularity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 9:46:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 9:47:18 PM PST
@Cavardossi: I understand about "Rolled Gold". I bought a used copy a few years back from a record store for about $25, if I recall. I already had almost all the songs but I liked the track selection and order so I went for it. OTOH if you're looking to explore the post-71 era a little more I say just go with "GRRR!", sure it shortchanges the 60s stuff slightly in favor of lamer later material but it's the best overall career overview, and gives you more bang for your buck than "Hot Rocks".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:05:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:25:07 PM PST
Bernard J. says:
GT
The UK version of "Everybody...." can now be found as a bonus track on "More Hot Rocks"
It first appeared on the second UK Stones' album which has never been released on CD. The song runs for 5 minutes.

My CD of the Mick Taylor years features:

Fingerprint File
100 years Ago
Coming Down Again
Let it Rock
Till the Next Goodbye
Time Waits for No One
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music?
Sweet Black Angel
Loving Cup
Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
I Just Want to See His Face
Shine a Light
Moonlight Mile

These are some of my favorites, chosen for that reason, didn't go for the obvious hits.
I'm not one of those people that insist that songs be featured chronologically, in fact, I like it otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:08:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:13:23 PM PST
Bernard J. says:
I had "Rolled Gold" on vinyl , one of Decca's most popular of UK compilations.
It went out of print for years, but made an appearance on CD with a different cover cover and extra tracks. It's good. But if you just want one compilation only, as a casual fan, "Hot Rocks" is a good one to get. The sequel, "More Hot Rocks" is also highly recommended.
This applies if you're mostly interested in the early stuff, of course.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:17:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:41:07 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:36:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:39:07 PM PST
Exile says:
Don't be intimidated by the reviews on Amazon. Most people are griping about song selection, remastering issues and repackaging, not the music itself...which is excellent.

Listen, make this simple on yourself. The "Hot Rocks" collection has the meat! Pick it up and go from there. It contains 21 classic songs from their most prolific period of 1964-1971 and the sound is excellent. Listen to it, absorb it...and soon you will be branching out into different areas of their career. It's not definitive because 21 songs by the Stones could never be but it is one killer collection and their best selling collection at around 12 million copies. You won't regret this one, trust me. It was released in 1972 and still outsells all of their other hit collections and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:40:09 PM PST
@Exile: I wish the expanded "Rolled Gold" was more easily available, because it has every single track that "Hot Rocks" has, plus about twenty more. Besides, I don't think any Stones collection is complete without "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby...?" :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:44:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:45:59 PM PST
Exile says:
Rolled is more complete but it's availability makes it less attractive. Hot Rocks has the meat and potatoes for a newbie and it's just a click away.

Hot Rocks was my introduction to the 60s Stones and it's all killer and no filler. After cranking this up on the stereo Cavardossi will be seeking out the studio albums anyway.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:50:03 PM PST
@Exile: "Hot Rocks" was my first real introduction to the Stones, too. It sounds like Cavardossi is already familiar with the group's early output, however. Which is why maybe "GRRR!" is the better choice since he has indicated a wish to explore their 70s stuff more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 10:56:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 10:58:12 PM PST
Exile says:
I have to be honest, I haven't read all the posts but in his OP he mentioned the album that had Honky Tonk Women on it and why it seemed so short. That doesn't sound like someone who is familiar with their 60s material. Yeah, we've all heard the songs on the radio but if he wants HTW and a "representation of their best material", I think Hot Rocks is the place to start.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:05:49 PM PST
@Exile: he said it had been a while. I see the three-disc "GRRR!" has all but two of the tracks on "Hot Rocks", plus many more from the 70s period he's looking to explore as well, and at virtually the same price so I'd still go with "GRRR!".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:29:48 AM PST
If you want to investigate the later stuff at a later time, then definitely get Hot Rocks now, and pick up an album called Jump Back later. Jump Back looks strictly at the 1971-89 period.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:48:57 AM PST
One thing you might try doing is going to your local library. Many of them have at least 1 or 2 Stones albums. If you don't mind doing the footwork you can probably find a few. It's a good opportunity not just to absorb the songs but you can make comparisons with both tracks AND sound quality. I still think though that whatever comp you decide on, you will eventually want to dig deeper and the individual albums are mostly good. A few like Let It Bleed, great! I discovered Aftermath, Out Of Our Heads and Tatoo You through library finds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:37:10 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Bernard:

Thank you. I'd forgotten it was on Big Hits and Fazed Cookies. I have it spinning now as I post.

When I assemble my mixes, I add them in order of my recall, but in order to jog my brain, I need to pull the cd or album from my storage to review what's on them, and since they're mostly chronologically stored, my running order generally runs in order of release. I agree running order should be whatever we like best. It's also a huge benefit of cd and digital media, as we can change play order to whatever we want.

I also place whatever tracks hit me, deep album or hits, in my mixes. In fact, I LOVE revealing tracks to others that otherwise would be undiscovered, and likewise, I LOVE being enlightened. One of the reasons I enjoy these discussions with such passionate and knowledgeable music fans.

Finally, nice Taylor mix. Especially including Winter, Hide You Love, 100 Years Ago, Fingerprint, and Loving Cup....

All the best,
GT

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:12:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 8:13:37 AM PST
Exile says:
At this point even I'm confused about which compilation to get...and I own all the albums so I don't even need one...LOL...Poor Cavarossi!

I still think the single best introduction to the Stones, especially for someone looking for HTW, is the concise Hot Rocks collection. Maybe that would be enough, maybe not, but it is the best starting point, IMO.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:12:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 9:18:08 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Cavardossi -- This might help...

Some quick copy/paste and sorting in Excel reveals that these songs are on both Hot Rocks and Grrrr:

Satisfaction
19th Nervous Breakdown
As Tears Go By
Brown Sugar
Get Off My Cloud
Gimme Shelter
Heart Of Stone
Honky Tonk Women
Jumpin Jack Flash
Let's Spend The Night Together
Paint It Black
Ruby Tuesday
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy For The Devil
Time Is On My Side
Under My Thumb
Wild Horses
You Can't Always Get What You Want

That's 18 tracks, all solid, so a pretty good core collection of vintage Stones and both gets you the main track you're after (Honky Tonk Women), so really you can't go wrong either way. But what's only on Hot Rocks vs what's only on Grrr might help you decide. Here's what is only on Hot Rocks:

Midnight Rambler (live)
Mother's Little Helper
Play With Fire

Those are 3 classics that I know I couldn't live without, but.... it's 3 songs and if none of these are in your list of personal faves yet, you likely won't miss them. Here's what's only on GRRR and not Hot Rocks:

Angie
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Beast of Burden
Come On (Chuck Berry cover)
Don't Stop
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Doom and Gloom
Emotional Rescue
Fool to Cry
Happy
Harlem Shuffle
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?
Highwire
It's All Over Now
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon)
Love Is Strong
Miss You
Mixed Emotions
Not Fade Away
One More Shot
Respectable
Rocks Off
She Was Hot
She's a Rainbow
Start Me Up
The Last Time
Tumbling Dice
Undercover of the Night
Waiting on a Friend
We Love You

That's 30+ tracks exclusively on Grrr and not Hot Rocks, which is more tracks than the total # of tracks found on Hot Rocks. Sure, some of them are completely disposable latter-era Stones, but your perception -- and what was mine too before I really looked at Grrrr -- that Grrr skimps on the early stuff to include more 80's and beyond Stones isn't quite accurate because several of the songs above come from the 60's/early 70's peak period: Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Come On, Happy, It's All Over Now, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadow?, Little Red Rooster, Not Fade Away, Rocks Off, Angie, She's A Rainbow, The Last Time, Tumbling Dice.... All of these come from the classic 1962-72 period.

I agree with the point above that the one thing Hot Rocks has over Grrr is that there is not a single skipper track to be found on Hot Rocks. All vintage Stones, all classics, so you can put it on and let it play without having to reach for your 'next track' button once. But I think even after you sort out the tracks you didn't like on Grrr you'd still be left with far more songs than if you just got Hot Rocks, and if you like the collection enough to start looking at individual albums, you can always pick up the ones that have the 3 tracks from Hot Rocks that you're missing. You'll have far less to go out and get after this initial purchase though if you get "Grrr!" instead of "Hot Rocks".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 10:05:39 AM PST
Warning though: a number of those other tracks on Grrr are in crummy edited for single versions.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:09:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 10:12:02 AM PST
Exile says:
No question Grrr is more bang for the buck, but it may also contain a lot of stuff a newbie may not want. Hot Rocks is more concise and to the point and easier to digest. Plus you get the complete version of YCAGWYW.

After that he will either get the full albums or be entirely content. :)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:14:57 AM PST
What a weird album cover Grrr has. And even the title is kinda left field. Wonder who thought that up?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 10:23:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 10:23:50 AM PST
Exile says:
I know...Especially from the Stones who always had interesting covers and album titles. Nevermind who thought it up, it actually got the approval from the boys...EGADS!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:30:52 AM PST
zlh67 says:
I have all the albums, so I don't really care, but am curious as to which other tracks on Grrr are edited and how significant the edits are? I've heard YCAGWYW is the single edit w/o the choir in the beginning, but to be honest, I think I might prefer that! I have the full version and love the song, but it is a bit long and sometimes I'm ready for it to get into the heart of the song a little faster. Lack of attn span after so many listesns I guess....

And yeah, there's definitely a lot of fat in the extra songs Grrr provides that Hot Rocks doesn't, but I think the casual fan would want their latter radio hits, like "Miss You", "Start Me Up" and several others Grrr has that Hot Rocks doesn't. Totally agree though that someone could easily underestimate how great the Stones really were by having all their classic songs buried in between less stellar songs like "Harlem Shuffle", "Anybody Seen My Baby?" and so on... Hot Rocks eliminates that but is far less bang for the buck. Neither collection is perfect but both are good in different ways. If I somehow lost all my Stones cd's and had to start over, I'd probably get Grrr, but that's me.... Funny how two of my favorite latter era songs that WERE pretty big radio hits seem to never make the Stones compilations: neither "Hot Stuff" nor "She's So Cold" is on 40 Licks OR the 3cd Grrr....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:11:23 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
'Hot Rocks' was a very attractive package in its original vinyl format, but IMO it works rather less well as a 2XCD set. It could very easily have been augmented by additional '60s tracks (it was intended as a '60s era round-up after the Stones left London Records), or by tracks covering the rest of '70s and the early '80s prior to its release in CD format. Maybe combining it with 'More Hot Rocks' would have created a more complete double disc set. Anyway, ABKCO could and should lower the price on the 3xCD London Years as it includes all the original '60s era single mixes and b-sides in chronological order, and it really is quite a treat to hear these end-to-end.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions