Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 224 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:04:57 AM PST
zlh67 says:
I do, but only 5-10% of my listening is done that way. If I get a new CD, I do (generally) play it start to finish at least 1-2x to check it all out, but if there are more than 2-3 tracks that aren't grabbing me early on, I delete those and then just keep listening to the tracks I DO like. Gary Clark Jr's "Blak and Blu" album is a perfect example: I *really* like 2/3 of it, but there are 2-3 songs that I could tell right away weren't for me no matter how many times I might listen. DELETE....

If only 1-2 tracks aren't doing it for me, I'll keep listening to the whole thing and I do find that in those cases, those "other" tracks may eventually grab me (as happened with the ALABAMA SHAKES cd this year, where I immediately loved half of it, but the other half grew on me after repeated listens...). But if too many songs don't grab me early on, it seems like work to get through the cd a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time and listening to music should never be "work".

And I do occasionally bust out an older album that I want to revisit either because I haven't heard the whole thing in so long or because maybe I don't feel I gave it a completely fair shot when I first got it. More often than not I find I don't really enjoy it anymore than I did when I first got it, but occasionally I do.

And then there are those albums that just cry out to be taken in as a whole and that I rarely listen to unless I've got time to hear the whole thing (mostly concept albums and/or albums with a distinctly unique vibe to it): Pink Floyd's "The Wall", "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters, "Close to the Edge" by Yes, The Who's "Tommy", the White Album....

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:34:10 PM PST
Only listen to complete albums,but then I have no idea how to MP3.I have no tech ability.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:50:26 PM PST
How could you not? especially with such albums that have an overall theme. There are just some albums you have to listen to in full or youre not getting the full experience. The climax of an album wouldn't be nearly as epic if you skipped track 2 and 6. Take Dark Side for example or 10,000 Days. Not the same. trip out \and listen to these albums in full, it will blow your mind. -tiMid Noise

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:54:29 PM PST
i like to skip to the songs i like the most. but sometime i listen to it all too. it depends on what it is

your frind kent

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:19:24 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Take Dark Side for example or 10,000 Days. Not the same. trip out \and listen to these albums in full, it will blow your mind.

Or put us to sleep.
I can't imagine Neil Young's Tonight's the Night -- already a pretty fatty album -- with all the "raps" that Young and David Briggs love so much. I don't care to be in the room with the band while they yap and yap in a drug-induced haze. I care about actual musical content. I edit out the entire garbage mid-section of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"; otherwise I can't listen to it at all. If I want pointless sound effects for three minutes, I'll go listen to a sound-effects library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:50:19 PM PST
I still listen to complete CD's.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:29:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 3:56:18 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:09:19 PM PST
Many albums are meant to and have to be listened in its entirety ie: Steven Wilson's "Grace For Drowning",,PF's "Dark Side...",,Genesis "The Lamb",,Marillion's "Brave" and "Sounds That Can't Be Made",,Sylvan's "Posthumous Silence".,Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind" etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:56:07 PM PST
DKPete says:
viva..hey there. Do you ever listen to CD's per original album sides?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:59:18 PM PST
DKPete says:
wild duck...yes, the artwork...even the label design on the record itself...it's a whole other experience from the CD. For me, the visual impact of an LP record has the same excitement as that of a classic car fanatic drooling over the vehicle itself without even driving it. If that sounds dumb and over the top, so be it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 4:04:22 PM PST
You need a magnifying glass to read the notes inside a CD cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:30:10 PM PST
DKPete...I know what you mean. That's something special that cds, iTunes, etc... can never replace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:45:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:46:45 PM PST
Autonomeus says:
vivazappa and all:

I still listen to entire albums (yes it's an record album whether it's vinyl or a CD -- it's a record(ing), it's not live) -- I'm 56 and I don't think I'll ever convert to MP3 singles.

Last year I had a commute of slightly over an hour -- it was perfect for listening to an album in the morning, and then another at night.

I actually miss that commute for that reason!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:48:07 PM PST
I found this on a record sleeve in an old Blood Sweat & Tears album:

Here's how records give you more of what you want:

1. They're your best entertainment buy. Records give you top quality for less money than any other recorded form. Every album is a show in itself. And once you've paid the price of admission, you can hear it over and over.

2. They allow selectivity of songs and tracks. With records its easy to pick out the songs you want to play, or to play again a particular song or side. All you have to do is lift the tone arm and place it where you want it. You can't do this as easily with anything but a phonograph record.

3. They're convenient and easy to handle. With the long playing record you get what you want to hear, when you want to hear it. Everybody's familiar with records, too. And you can go anywhere with them because they're light and don't take up space.

4. They're attractive, informative and easy to store. Record albums are never out of place. Because of the aesthetic appeal of the jacket design, they're beautifully at home in any living room or library. They've also got important information on the backs about the artists, about the performances or about the program. And because they're flat and not bulky, you can store hundreds in a minimum of space and still see every title.

5. They'll give you hours of continuous and uninterrupted listening pleasure. Just stack them up on your automatic changer and relax.

6. They're the proven medium. Long playing phonograph records look the same now as when they were introduced in 1948, but there's a world of difference. Countless refinements and developments have been made to perfect the long playing record's technical excellence and insure the best in sound reproduction and quality.

7. If it's in recorded form, you know it'll be available on records. Everything's on long playing records these days...your favorite artists, shows, comedy, movie soundtracks, concerts, drama, documented history, educational material...you name it. This is not so with any other kind of recording.

8. They make a great gift because everybody you know loves music. And everyone owns a phonograph because it's the musical instrument everyone knows how to play. Records are a gift that says a lot to the person you're giving them to. And they keep on remembering.

And remember...it always happens first on records.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 12:34:11 PM PST
There's no one right way to listen to music.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 1:05:49 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
I listen to complete albums all the time. No matter what the trend, I will always believe in the album.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:09:09 AM PST
Although I replied to this post earlier I have to add that I think it depends on mood and the album itself. Some albums just scream to be played in full like The Who Sell Out. But again, it depends where my head is at at that particular moment. Sometimes I just want the whole mood and feel of an entire album. Other times I dig out an album where I only like a few songs or half of it and decide I am going to sit down and really listen to this. Sometimes you need to albums (as well as individual songs) another or a few shots. Sometimes I just want a mixed bag of listening. I think both ways are wonderful to expierence music but I would say that it takes a little bit more effort or attention span to listen to an album as a whole thing. It can be be such a rewarding feeling to listen to music that way. There is no right or wrong way but I think it's better to be able to approach music BOTH ways. And of course it depends on your taste and how much you like an artist. I think it would be fun to lists albums that you really enjoy as a complete album. Although I suspect a lot of prog would show up. Good thread here!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:29:53 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
LOL ... and in the middle of this very cool thread, a crummy commercial!

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:50:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 12:51:48 PM PST
stevign says:
[Does anyone play full albums anymore?]

Sure, why not? I still have about 300 albums left (down from 800). I'll also buy a "new" record if it was never re-released on CD or if it is no longer available on CD. I still need to buy an album-to-CD type of recording machine so I can listen to the album in the car. Musicdirect is a good source for vinyl.

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-506-vinyl.aspx?gclid=CMPyjqGYjrQCFSPhQgodhT4A3w

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 2:13:43 PM PST
Hinch says:
I may be wrong, but I believe 'album' includes cds. I wouldnt mind burning some of my 5000 records to cd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 2:43:38 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "but I believe 'album' includes cds"

Why would it?

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 2:46:26 PM PST
An album is a collection, as in a collection of songs. Vinyl or compact disc doesn't matter; an album is an album.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 2:47:19 PM PST
I only play the full album. I never listen to single songs and I never skip a song to get to another. I still love the album as an art form and I don't expect every song to be perfect. I pick albums that fit my mood and I listen to them in there entirety. @ Hinch, you are not wrong. Album by definition means a collection of... LP is the term for vinyl.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 3:12:56 PM PST
Autonomeus says:
Actually, LP is long-playing, which applies to CDs as well unless it's a CD single.

They're all RECORDS (ie, recordings), and they're all albums, regardless of format (vinyl, cassette, CD).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 3:16:24 PM PST
Hinch says:
Because albums are now on cd, not records.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 3514 4 minutes ago
Better songwriter: John LENNON or Ray DAVIES? 201 41 minutes ago
Women Of Country Music 212 1 hour ago
Favourite Female Artists 1328 2 hours ago
Keith Moon---John Bonham---Bill Ward 43 2 hours ago
More Dylan vs Beatles : What was the bigger "shakeup" - Dylan going Electric (Highway 61 Revisited) or the Fabs fthrowing aside "Beatlemania" and turning the creative limits of the studio upside down (Strawberry Fields Forever / Pepper)? 141 3 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1929 3 hours ago
The Rolling Stones-- Let It Bleed....The Who--Who's Next..Battle Rock Royalty WOW!! 345 4 hours ago
The "Greatest" Guitar Riff? 49 4 hours ago
You'd think it would be easy to list 5 favorite albums from the 60's but... 28 5 hours ago
Pork and the Havana Ducks 123 6 hours ago
Your favorite YouTube videos 40 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions