Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Live rock songs that are superior to the studio version.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 108 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:08:10 AM PST
bozokarl says:
Just about anything the Grateful Dead or Allman Brothers Band ever recorded. IMO both of these bands are bands that should be listened to live. Not that their studio albums are bad but they just have much more energy live.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:05:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:41:54 PM PST
Feeling Alright from Maddogs and Englishmen was superior to the studio single from Joe Cocker.
Anything from The J.Geils Band-Blow Your Face Out I like better than the studio version.
Bob Marley's "No Woman,No Cry" from the Album LIVE,I like better than the studio version on Natty Dread.
Also The Beatles" Get Back" live video is great.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:47:21 PM PST
Ozzy's "Tribute" Almost every song is better.

Barclay James Harvest "Poor Man's Moody Blues"

ELP "Tocatta" and "Still You Turn Me On"

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:31:22 PM PST
zlh67 says:
"School" by Supertramp from "Paris"
"Young Man Blues" by The Who from "Live at Leeds"
"We Will Rock You" by Queen - forget what you hear on the radio, the fast version on Live Killers is the definitive version of this song!
"Staying Power" by Queen - like the studio version fine, but the "Live at the Bowl" version rips
"Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights)" by Pat Travers; did he even do a studio version of this song? If so, it must not be that good cause you never hear it!
"Flower Child" by Lenny Kravitz - studio version is blah, but there's a ripping live version on the recent "Let Love Rule" reissue bonus disc
"Time and A Word" by Yes; I like the higher key Jon Anderson takes it to in the latter choruses of the "Yesshows" version of this song
"Clock Strikes Ten" by Cheap Trick, from Budokan
"Things Have Changed" by Bob Dylan, from the bonus disc of "Tell Tale Signs"; totally different from and at least as good as the studio version
"YYZ" by Rush from "Exit... Stage Left" Neil's best drum solo ever? I'd say so...
"Whole Lotta Love" and "Dazed And Confused" by Zep from "Song Remains The Same"

And just about anything on "Unleashed in the East" by Judas Priest and "Alive!" by KISS!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:57:10 PM PST
A customer says:
"New Orleans is Sinking", obviously.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:30:31 PM PST
Bob Meager, you mean??

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:17:10 AM PST
J. Coco says:
"Dreamer" by Supertramp from "Paris"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:21:09 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Good call, J. Coco! I had "School" from Paris and I think that one's better than the studio version too, but "Dreamer" is even more of an improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:35:36 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Thanks zlh67. I was going through the posts with "Dreamer" in mind, hoping that no one else had put it, and I saw that you had "School" from "Paris".

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:39:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 11:40:21 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I just listened to Paris last weekend...I forgot how good it is!
I also gave the extra live CD from Breakfast a go...it is a great companion to Paris.

I just ordered Eye of the Storm of Rog's website...$20 and it's autographed!

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 3:35:16 PM PST
Thanks guys, you just cost me money - I just had to order "Paris", after reading your great reviews. I really like Supertramp, so I am looking forward to getting this CD. I think Amazon must have read your reviews, because the cost of the CD and MP3 download is pretty outrageous (I don't know what it usually is). I ordered it from one of Amazon's private sellers.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:44:39 PM PST
Hey, all you Supertramp fans. I was also reading some reviews on Amazon concerning the first Supertramp album. It states that this was pre-Crime Of The Century and most people mistake Crime as the first Supertramp album. The review intrigued me as it said it was much different than all other Supertramp releases. Very prog (which I like) I was hoping to sample it on youtube but none of the songs are there. Besides the reviews can anyone enlighten me? I never heard anything at all from this album, never even knew it existed.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:47:17 PM PST
Can't you hear a preview of these first Supertramp songs in Amazon?

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:09:15 PM PST
No, in fact I have noticed lately that more and more CD's on Amazon do not have previews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:37:20 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
Stephen,
There were two Supertramp albums prior to 'Crime of the Century' - a self-titled album from '70 and 'Indelibly Stamped' from '71 (or maybe '72). These aren't that bad - kind of 'songwriter' based rock - but don't really have much in common with what came later, which is why they're usually overlooked. A friend tried to turn me onto the second album in '72 but it didn't have much impact on me 'cause I was torn between a steady diet of hard rock and listening to 'Close to the Edge' every day! What can I say? There were just waaaaaay too many great records that year and not enough time to take everything in! Cheers..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:56:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 7:31:56 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Cin Dan -- you'll have to let us know what you think! For my taste, "Paris" could JUST about be the only Supertramp album I have. Don't get me wrong, I own several of their albums and there are others I like plenty, but if I were to list my top 20 songs from the band, 14-15 of the 16 songs total on Paris would no doubt be on that list, and there's really not a 1 from Paris that I find inferior to the studio version, so it's easily the Supertramp album I listen to the most over any of their studio releases. It's that good! To me anyway, but we'll see if you agree....

Oh and another thing: I hadn't heard those first 2 albums either, so I looked for some samples but also came up empty, but in my search instead stumbled upon THIS dvd:

Supertramp: Live In Paris (1979)

Not sure which thread it was, but I know many fans of Supertramp were bemoaning the lack of video footage available of the band, and now.... THIS. Wow. This goes straight to the top of my wish list for sure. It's not the same show as the Paris album, but is from a Paris show recorded a couple of nights earlier, so the songs are a little different, with the upside being a few songs on this DVD that aren't on the album (Goodbye Stranger and Child Of Vision, Another Man's Woman, Give A Little Bit).

From the reviews, it sounds like the picture quality is a bit grainy as it IS from 1979, but plenty good and with outstanding audio. Also sounds like neither of the primary songwriters from the band (Roger Hodgson, Bob Davies) approved this release, so who knows how long it'll be out there. If it interests you, probably better to pick this one up sooner rather than later. I know MY copy is ordered!

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:24:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 6:25:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
Imo, very few live recordings are better than the studio. Midnight Rambler on GET YOUR YA YAS OUT is a good one. The songs on The Allman Bros LIVE AT THE FILLMORE are all better than the studio recordings. Most The Jefferson Airplane live recordings are better than the studio.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:45:27 PM PST
onesenkuma, thanks for the Supertramp info. I like a lot of prog, not all but I get the feeling that the Supertramp could be a hidden gem.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:13:39 AM PST
J. Coco says:
"Not For You" - Pearl Jam from "Ain't No F***in' Messiah"

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:31:01 PM PST
gusula says:
Closer To the Heart from Rush's Exit Stage Left. As close to a sappy love song as Rush ever recorded on the studio album. On Exit it somehow manages to rock and be tender at the same time - Good stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 5:31:21 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Chazzbo:

AMEN on Songs in the Attic!! Especially Captain Jack-there's an energy captured during that Philadelphia performance that hasn't been approached since for that song.

Also noteworthy is the finale I've Loved These Days, a Chicago performance.

GT

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:48:01 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Stewart's Coat-Rickie Lee Jones (Naked Songs)
Got to Get Better In A Little While-Derek and Dominos (Live at Fillmore)
Summertime Blues-The Who (Leeds)
My Generation-The Who (Leeds)
Substitute-The Who (Leeds)
Magic Bus-The Who (Leeds)
Sympathy for the Devil-Stones (ya-Ya's)
Street Fighting Man-Stones (Ya-Ya's)
And She Cried-Freddy Jones Band (Time Well Wasted)
Don't Do It-The Band (Last Waltz)
Who Do You Love-The Band (Last Waltz)
Most Likely You Go Your Way...-Dylan and the Band (Before the Flood)
Shelter From The Storm-Dylan (Hard Rain)
Absolutely Sweet Marie-George Harrison (Dylan 30 Anniversary Concert)
For Emily...-Simon and Garfunkel (Greatest Hits)
Wonderful Tonight-Eric Clapton (24 Nights)
Further Up The Road-Eric Clapton (Just one Night or Last Waltz)
Pretty Maids All In A Row-The Eagles (Hell freezes Over)
Pre-Road Downs-CSNY (4-Way Street)
Carry On-CSNY (4-Way street)
Good Friday-Cowboy Junkies (Long Journey Home DVD)
Pretty much every track on Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus
Also, Songs In The Attic-Billy Joel

All the best,
GT

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:10:44 PM PST
tmoore says:
Deserted Cities of the Heart (from Live Cream Vol. 2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:39:55 PM PST
Chet Fakir says:
I would say every King Crimson song is better live than on record with the possible exception of Lament which is pretty much the same. That live Crimson is better than studio applies to every version of the band from 1969 to 2008. I guess they're over now, too bad.

As bozokari said live Grateful Dead destroys studio Grateful Dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 5:24:23 AM PST
tmoore - good call on one of the most overlooked songs in rock. Joe D
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions