Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 389 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:19:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 11:21:15 AM PST
I don't know how you make a collection like GRR and not put SSC or HS on it.

If you check the reviews here on Amazon many of them will tell you what's edited. I don't own GRR but I know Emotional Rescue, Burden, Undercover, Fool to Cry, IORR, and a few others are not the full album versions.

Oh, and Miss You..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:26:24 AM PST
Tracks edited on Grrrr:
You Can't Always Get What You Want
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Fool to Cry
Miss You
Beast of Burden
Emotional Rescue
Mixed Emotions
Highwire

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:34:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 11:35:13 AM PST
I had read that "Undercover of the Night" is also edited. If it isn't 4:31 or around there it is the single version.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:45:36 AM PST
alysha25 says:
Jump Back - The Best Of The Rolling Stones, '71 - '93 (2009 Re-mastered)

For $10, if you want to do a digital download, this could Supplement "Hot Rocks" . It has quite a few songs that aren't on Hot Rocks. I was thinking of downloading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:57:53 AM PST
There are a few edits on there, mostly the same ones that are edited on GRR and 40 Licks but that is a great, if not perfect, supplement to Hot Rocks. Put them both on and you have well over two hours of classic rock!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 12:23:06 PM PST
Undercover is 4.33 on GRRR.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 1:16:46 PM PST
My mistake and it was coming from a bad source. Undercover of the Night IS edited on GRRR. It is 4.13 on there. Also Anybody Seen My Baby is edited.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:20:58 PM PST
20 seconds? Probably the ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 1:46:22 PM PST
@BFD: almost every track that is edited on "GRRR!", is acceptable to me in edited form. "Emotional Rescue"? I don't mind 30 seconds taken off that one. "Fool to Cry"? The same.

As for "GRRR!" containing a few lesser Stones tracks while "Hot Rocks" is all killer no filler, the thing about "GRRR!" is it's in rough chronological order and the "lesser" stuff is exclusively after 1981, so he can just stop the disc midway through the third disc if he wants. ;) Also, he might be interested to hear the post-81 stuff anyways, up to the present.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:12:16 PM PST
More like one minute from Fool to Cry and 2 minutes from Emotional Rescue.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 2:53:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 2:53:28 PM PST
@BFD: still not the end of the world, IMO. If it had been one minute from "Ruby Tuesday"--then I'd have a problem. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:01:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 3:02:03 PM PST
If it had been all 5 1/2 minutes of Emotional Rescue edited out, I would not have a problem. Especially if you replaced it with all 4 1/2 minutes of She's So Cold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:57:51 PM PST
@BFD: right?!!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:10:53 PM PST
zlh67 says:
She's So Cold is much more vintage-sounding Stones (ie, rock) and it got more airplay than ER, but I think Mick must prefer ER because it seems to always get the nod on Stones compilations. I like both tracks but if I had to pick one it'd be 'She's So Cold' every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 4:15:22 PM PST
Emotional Rescue was a bigger pop hit than She's So Cold. ER went to #9 on the pop charts whereas SSC only made it to #33.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 4:46:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 4:48:07 PM PST
ER made it to #3 Billboard, #9 UK

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:52:18 PM PST
She's So Cold #26 Billboard.

What's with the hate for ER? Its not THAT bad and Charlie is exceptional on that song.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:55:30 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Well, gang, I just got this Rolling Stones acquisition project under way; I ordered Get Your Ya-Yas Out.

I'm stilling mulling over everything that's being said here and enjoying it. It does still look like it's between GRRR! and Hot Rocks for the compilation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:58:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 7:09:17 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Well, I may be in the minority on this one, Cavardossi, but as you just purchased "Ya Ya's", I think you've taken one step closer to "Grrr", and here's why: if you purchase "Grrr" you'd get everything on Hot Rocks except 3 essential earlier Stones tracks that "Hot Rocks" offers and "Grrr" doesn't. But.... you just bought one of the albums that contains one of the 3 missing tracks (the live version of "Midnight Rambler" on Hot Rocks comes from "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!"), so imo anyway, that's that much less of a reason to start with Hot Rocks over Grrr.

So I'd get "Grrr!" and then see if there are Stones songs you've heard that you really have to have but are not on "Grrr!" and then start exploring individual albums, probably starting with one of the "big 4", which are the albums most fans consider the best 4 album run they did (and perhaps the best 4-album run by ANY band...): Beggar's Banquet (1968), Let It Bleed (1969), Sticky Fingers (1971) & Exile On Main St (1972). Me, I'm partial to Sticky & Let It Bleed and then Beggar's, but find Exile a 50/50 proposition and pretty over-rated. The compilations have several tracks from each of these albums but there are solid album cuts to be had too, my favorites being "Monkey Man", the title track to "Let It Bleed" and "Dead Flowers" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" from Sticky Fingers.

Whichever path you take, happy exploring!! I took a similar journey here in the last 3-4 years, expanding my collection from just 1 compilation and a couple of individual albums to where I now have nearly everything they did from 1968-present plus an early singles compilation (Big Hits - High Tide & Green Grass). Next up I've been looking at filling in a couple of missing 80's albums (Undercover & Dirty Work) or going back further to get the earlier 60's stuff like "Between the Buttons" or "Aftermath"....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 7:00:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 7:02:58 PM PST
zlh67 says:
"Emotional Rescue was a bigger pop hit than She's So Cold. ER went to #9 on the pop charts whereas SSC only made it to #33."

----

Sure, but the Stones aren't really a 'pop' band, they're a ROCK band, and "She's So Cold" is a more rocking and therefore more quint-essential Stones song than "Emotional Rescue", at least to me. Again, I like 'em both fine, but would not hesitate in choosing "Cold" over ER when it came to a compilation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 7:02:34 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
I just found this discussion so sorry I'm late to the discussion. Im a first gen fan and have all the Stones' albums on vinyl and CD. Cavardossi, I would recommend you get the 3CD version of GRRR. You will get more bang for the buck. If you want the unedited versions of a few songs you can get them later. Other comps had edited songs too.

After that I would highly recommend the ABKCO Singles Collection on 3 CDs. And then go from there. It's all good.

Rock on anybody..

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 7:22:53 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I take it from what you all are saying that the individual albums mentioned are still in print.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 7:34:52 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Yes, all their albums are in print and available for digital download.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 8:01:32 PM PST
Emotional Rescue was a number 1 album for 7 weeks. Most people probably find that odd because it seems to be so hated.
I hated it too until I bought it last year, 30 years later. I was surprised that it really is not bad at all. It is a rock album but it may seem pop because there is some old fashioned rock and roll on it. Its popularity probably resulted from the 2 singles, plus the fact that the album before it was their best selling album ever.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:03:10 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Dee Zee -- quick question for ya since you obviously know more about the Stones than me, particularly on the early stuff....

I'm interested in exploring more of their early work. I have nearly all the albums from Beggar's Banquet on and I have a smattering of earlier tracks via Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass) & 40 Licks, but I really like stuff like "Play With Fire," "Time Is On My Side," "Heart of Stone," "As Tears Go By", etc. To get more of that type of stuff, should I just go backwards in time with the albums and get those one at a time or is the singles collection you mentioned the way to go?

I assume the singles collection will have some b-sides not on the albums, but I'm not sure how good those would be compared to the essential a-sides, so it seems like a possible way to get a lot of great tracks, but a lot of fat too. And I would also assume the albums would have some songs not one the singles collection, but again, the singles (at least the a-sides) would generally represent the cream of the crop, so.... Not sure which way to go. For now I was looking at the UK versions of Aftermath and/or Between The Buttons as those seem to be the most highly rated pre-1968 albums, but after several recommendations of the singles collection here in this thread, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking to that next.

What say ye?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions