Customer Discussions > Music forum

What was the First CD "Box Set" You Ever Purchased?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 169 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:32:29 AM PDT
R. Venaska says:
Bocephus Box 1979-1992

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 10:41:43 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Derek and the Dominoes: The Layla Sessions: 20th Anniversary Edition

One whole disc of 10 - 20 minute jams. Much fun for an aspiring guitarist

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:27:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 11:28:51 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Pretty sure mine was Crossroads by Clapton also, though I think I got two more right around the same time: "Message in a Box" by the Police and "Citizen Steely Dan". The Clapton one I can take or leave because I guess I realized later that I'm not such a huge fan that a 2disc set like "Complete Clapton" wouldn't do me just as well, but the Police and Steely Dan ones were excellent. Got every album they'd released (up to that point anyway) and a few non-album/rarity tracks to boot. Those are my favorites, along with the Zep remasters sets and "Star Time" by James Brown.

Oh, and DYLAN. Biograph and Vol. 1-3 of the Bootleg Series. The latter in particular has a lot of great Dylan tracks not to be found elsewhere...

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:02:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 1:18:33 PM PDT
tmoore says:
I thought my first was Clapton's Crossroads.

But after thinking it over, it could have been Atlantic Rock and Roll. This was put out by Atlantic to mark their 40th Anniversary in 1988. This particular box set only covered the years 1965-1988. The first song from 1965 was Wilson Pickett's In the Midnight Hour. The last song from 1988 was Ratt's Round and Round. There was a lot of good stuff in between from all those "classic rock" groups that were on Atlantic, Atco, Capricorn. I actually haven't listened to much of that music in the last 20 years so the box set would be a good listen now. I remember making a special bus trip to get this box set as I did not have a car then.

Also got Jethro Tull's 20 Years of Jethro Tull around that time as well (but I do not own the Tull one anymore; I still own the other two). I'm not sure which of these three I got first.

I own about 50 box sets. Some of my more interesting ones not yet mentioned are:
Pete Townshend - Lifehouse Chronicles
Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly and See
Velvet Underground - What Goes On
Stax Story (Stax Records)
Various Chess Boxes (Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon)
Atlantic R&B 1947-1974

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:20:00 PM PDT
It was either Tales of the Brothers Gibb by the Bee Gees or Listen to the Band by The Monkees. I had only owned The Monkees' first 3 or 4 albums so a lot of the music on Disc 3 and 4 was new to me.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:25:20 PM PDT
First CD box set that I properly acquired was Queensryche's Operation : LIVECrime which was the 1-CD/1-VHS version. Then the next boxed set would be the long out of print 9-CD Pink Floyd box set Shine On.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 12:28:16 PM PDT
Biograph (3 Cds in Double Jewel Case)
Biograph; in tape - Calcutta 1987. In stereo and only one channel worked :) but it did not matter ..

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:53:29 PM PDT
ac says:
THE EAGLES!!!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:18:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 9:33:03 PM PDT
My first CD box set was Dylan's Biograph. In those days, there weren't many.
First LP box set would have been some years earlier, but I can't remember if it was the German-pressed Cream set or the Mobile Fidelity Beatles set -- got that MFSL set at a great price too; anyone remember the Schwann record club? If it was in print, they'd get it for you and at a discount.

Someone earlier posted "Biograph (3 Cds in Double Jewel Case)" -- ouch! I bought mine shortly after it was released. The box for the CD set was the same size as used for the LP edition and included a full sized "36 page full color booklet". There was a plastic tray insert that held the three single jewel cases.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:25:53 PM PDT
Hunter says:
The System of a Down Boxset.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:21:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 7:22:19 PM PDT
MJEH says:
As I was reading the posts, I thought for sure my first set was "To Be Continued", the 4-CD Elton John set from 1990 (which, with all due respect to EJ, is in DIRE need of an updated re-release!!). Then I realized it was the Storyteller 1964-1990 set from Rod Stewart.

I was thinking recently how the "Box Set" seems to have had its "15 minutes". The last really cool set I can remember is the John Mellencamp one. I guess the new thing now is for an artist to release all their catalog stuff on iTunes and just let you pick. Stevie Wonder, for example, has his entire catalog on iTunes, including a lot of 12" single versions and rare stuff. No more big, pretty "magazine-type", photo-filled books to read though.

I just read where Heart is supposedly releasing a box set, probably before the end of '12. Something tells me there will be another Michael Jackson set, and probably a Donna Summer set, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:29:03 PM PDT
Severin says:
MJEH, the Heart box set was released 3 weeks ago, here's the link: Strange Euphoria (Amazon.com Exclusive)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:38:43 PM PDT
MJEH says:
Oops! Thanks, bud!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:46:42 PM PDT
R. Nemec says:
I'm not sure maybe the Echo and The Bunnymen box set, alot of great tunes on that set.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:06:13 PM PDT
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:07:22 PM PDT
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Playback

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:42:27 AM PDT
The Soft Machine-Triple Echo LP box set is just about as good as it gets. Too bad they never released it on a CD. If they did they should do an expanded edition with lots of live material and rarities.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:55:25 AM PDT
The reason why the Pink Floyd box set Shine On is so huge with many collectors is the CD that comes with the CD which includes the rare singles "Point Me at the Sky" and "It would be So Nice". I never got it because it did not include some of my favorite albums. I got the "Oh By the Way" because I wanted every album and I thought the LP sleeves were cool. But I really wish that it included rarities and unreleased material. Even though the Discovery box set has unreleased live tracks and a couple of unreleased demos it still does not have enough to satisfy die-hard Floydians. I think they need to do bootleg series releases like Bob Dylan has done and recentely Miles Davis which is making me incredibly happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 9:44:11 AM PDT
upgrading anything Dusty makes sense! LOL

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:02:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 10:04:47 AM PDT
I have been buying music since the early '60's and too old to remember when I got what. But some of my favorites, depending on what day it is, are:
3 disc Janis Joplin on Columbia/Legacy
Beg, Scream, & Shout - the big 'ol box of '60's soul - Rhino (in a nifty 45 looking holding case, with information cards on each cut of the 6 CD set!)
Etta James - the Chess Box
Aretha Franklin - Queen of Soul - Rhino
The Doo Wop Box (Vol 1, since I believe there are at least 3 volumes out) - Rhino
Jimmy Buffett - Boats, Beaches, Bars, and Ballads - MCA

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:30:02 PM PDT
I'd forgotten the Clapton boxset! I bought it and the Lou Reed boxes when they came in CASSETTE ! Gawd I'm gettin old! But the Hendrix and Cream boxes are the family jewels of my CD collection ! The world needs a Dwight Twilly and an Iain Matthews box sets ,even if they only sell a dozen of each!

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:01:51 AM PDT
ah,yes the Steely dan box set ; a gem among jewels of rock; not a bad song on 4 CDs

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:12:36 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
My first was Jerry Lee Lewis - The SUN (Records) Years which I've since rebought in a few different variations. I now probably have over 200 box sets. I just love box sets!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:14:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 10:15:19 AM PDT
I think my first box set was "20 Years of Jethro Tull", or possibly "YesYears", both released in the late 80s. Both are excellent and feature a lot of non-LP material. They've since been supplanted by other, probably better, box sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 11:03:27 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
Hi Mitch,

That's a nice set.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4933 47 seconds ago
Suicide Songs 219 18 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 70 20 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4080 50 minutes ago
The Music Of Our Lives 6713 1 hour ago
What are you listening right now? 1189 1 hour ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4450 1 hour ago
Zappa artists 19 3 hours ago
Who is/was the most underated band? 55 5 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 57 6 hours ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 176 6 hours ago
Your Ten Favorite Albums Of The 2000s 57 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  120
Total posts:  169
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions