Customer Discussions > Music forum

Does anyone play full albums anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 224 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:50:19 PM PST
Hinch says:
I bought my first album (MEET THE BEATLES) almost 50 years ago. It was made of vinyl. Now artists release albums on cd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:56:06 PM PST
You're the first person I've heard even try to make that argument in at least twenty years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:59:58 PM PST
Using your numbers I would say I have 3700 albums, 3400 of them on CD and 300 on vinyl.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:08:00 PM PST
stevign says:
lolol......No need to frown, I think your original question is being answered......and even a few others as well. I would say your thread is a success.

http://images01.olx.ru/ui/11/80/93/1346680585_435107793_1----.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:11:09 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "As Mick said long ago.."What a drag it is getting old"!"

Well he oughta know, What is that guy now......102?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:13:34 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I bought my first album (MEET THE BEATLES) almost 50 years ago"

Cool, I bought Sgt. Peppers 75 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:20:53 PM PST
stevign says:
Thanks, it only goes to show that practical thought isn't dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:22:46 PM PST
stevign says:
That works too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:23:00 PM PST
Yeah, what you had was practically a thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:30:07 PM PST
stevign says:
I think I've made very good points and examples using solid and practical reasoning. AND, I haven't tried to talk anyone out of calling a CD an album if they don't wish to. So....are you "looking" for a fight or are you just being hard to get along with tonight?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:38:10 PM PST
Hinch says:
and your point is?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:32:48 AM PST
To me an album is a collection of songs. The format on which is is represented is either vinyl, CD, cassette or whatever. The distinction for me is the album from the single. Obviously a single is not a collection of songs like an album is. Although CD singles never really caught on like the 45 had. I suppose that is why downloading songs have become popular.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:54:48 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2013 11:49:08 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 6:06:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 10:13:18 AM PST
Autonomeus says:
I have a collection of record albums. Or records. Or albums.

The vast majority of them are CDs, and have been since about 1990.

Prior to that they were vinyl discs. For a short while in the Eighties I had record albums on casette tapes.

I still have a few vinyl disc record albums that I have not been able to replace with CD record albums.

I realize many people do not use this language, but to me it is simple and logical. I wince when I hear people refer to "records" or "albums" and I know they mean "vinyl discs."

Recorded music comes on records. It is not live. There are singles (I have one single, still on vinyl -- Bob Dylan's "George Jackson," which was never included on an album -- though it does me little good now, as I haven't had a turntable in years), and albums. Record albums can come in various formats -- vinyl, casette, CD, MP3. I'm not into MP3s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 6:11:58 AM PST
stevign says:
No point, just making conversation.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:28:16 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Albums are albums...
CD's are CD's...
Cassettes are cassettes...
8 tracks are 8 tracks...
Reel to reels are reel to reels...
BUT all of the above are records...

(By the way I still call CD's albums if they were originally released as an album.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:46:08 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
Hinch, RE: "Because albums are now on cd, not records."

WHAT????
WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN??!

: p

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:47:29 AM PST
Hinch says:
Oh. Ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:50:01 AM PST
vivazappa,

I really don't recall anyone ever referring to Cassettes or 8 Tracks as "Records".
"Albums" yes, but not "Records".

To me "Record" denotes "vinyl", whether album or 45 single, and I tend to use the two terms almost interchangeably.

Actually, to me, even the word "record" itself is starting to sound almost archaic. I noticed this when I saw someone had just posted a thread for advice on selecting "Record Players" rather than today's more common "Turntables". I realized that I hadn't heard the term "Record Player" in possibly decades!

Anyway, while I don't have a problem with a "CD Album", I can't imagine referring to a "CD Record".

But that's just me. I'm certainly not trying to say that it's "right" or "correct" in any absolute sense.
As I've said, the terminology is still evolving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:00:29 AM PST
stevign says:
;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 10:48:00 AM PST
Jersey Joker says:
C Husky,

That pretty much sums up how I look at it as well.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:51:40 AM PST
gusula says:
The confusion, methinks, comes from the fact that the term "album" has been used quite widely to refer to two very different things. On the one hand, it's a label for a format of recorded music; on the other, it refers to a collection of recorded music that is sold as a single unit in any format. So I'm not sure there's a whole lot of point in arguing over what "counts" as an album -- neither side will ever convince the other of what's right, since both are coming at the debate from a completely different foundational definition.

By the way, it's probably something of a misnomer to refer to a vinyl LP as an "album" as well. The term originally referred to the way that music recordings were first sold -- as a series of small wax discs featuring a single song slipped into the sleeves of a booklet, very much like the photos in an old-fashioned "photo album." As I understand it, the wax was purposefully manufactured in such a way that the discs wore out quickly, thus requiring the listener to purchase a new album of favorite tunes on a fairly regular basis. I don't know this, but I'm guessing that record companies probably started out selling a set of unrelated singles this way, until some marketing genius came along and decided that it might make some sense to include songs that all fit the same theme -- and thus the "concept album" was born....

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 12:20:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 7:46:18 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
You might not believe it I always listen to a record straight thru if time permits....

Eddie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 1:30:30 PM PST
78 singles were made of shellac, coal tar, beeswax, and sand. The Columbia discs were made using a paper/cardboard core and were/are liable to "crack" due to humidity issues swelling. The sand component, used as a filler, essentially made them glass. They were made to withstand a tonearm weight of 2-ounces. Needles were available made out of steel (10 plays and changed out), or cactus (changed after each play). The steel needles could rust and damage the grooves, while the cactus needles were softer. Shellac is derived from shellac Beetles that infest trees in Burma and Thailand. 78s played with a light tonearm, the 1960s+ record players ("turntables") with even the lousiest heavy pickups for 45s/33s, are virtually indestructible--cheap record changers used a tonearm of about 6-10 grams.

I think 78s albums first appeared about the mid-to-late 1930s as heavy binders with usually 4-6 78s sleeved inside. Billboard first tracked those album sales on March 15, 1945. Here's that list (10 positions only)--
#1 KING COLE TRIO COLLECTION OF FAVORITES, Capitol A-8
#2 GLEN MILLER AND ORK, Victor P-148
#3 JUDY GARLAND MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, Decca A-380
#4 MARK WARNOW HIT PARADE, Victor P-121
#5 TOMMY DORSEY GETTING SENTIMENTAL, Victor P-80
#6 CHARLES WOLCOTT AND ORK THREE CABALLEROS, Decca A-373
#7 DANNY KAYE, Columbia C-91
#8 ORIGINAL CAST OKLAHOMA, Decca A-359
#9 JOHNSON & AMMONS EIGHT TO THE BAR, Victor P-69
#10 BENNY GOODMAN, TOMMY DORSEY, ARTIE SHAW, GLENN MILLER -UP SWING, Victor P-146

(Musically, the Pete Johnson/Albert Ammons boogie-woogie r&b [r&b wasn't coined until 1949; were I to use the industry term for these sepia discs, I'd get deleted] is the bestest of the bunch. Viva la jungle beat!!!)

These were some extra money for the record companies, to put out rejected recordings, reissue old titles in new ways, and were more or less sold as keepsakes. Pre-1959 album charts were very short--10-35 positions. First vinyl Lps were 10", same as pop 78s, had 8 songs (equivalent to a four-78 binder) and showed up 1948-51, $2.98 list. 12" Lps with 12 songs became the norm about 1956, $3.98 list price. Stereo Lps came out about Christmas, 1958, cost a $1 premium over the monos and you had to play them with a special, then-new, stereo cartridge that held the needle, which vibrated in the stereo grooves differently than a mono cartridge/needle.

Pre-1955 era: The RIAA recording curve came via the early '50s (1952?) RCA/Victor New Orthophonic High Fidelity standard of equalization. Prior to the RIAA recording curve/equalization, every company that manufactured records did/could record the biases of bass/mid-range/treble differently and you might have to have a record player from the same manufacturer to get the proper sound on playback. Magnetic tape studio recording came out of U.S./Allies appropriated/looted German technology and was back-engineered over here, starting about 1947; prior to that, recordings were made direct-to-disc using a lathe cutter in the studio. Paul Whiteman introduced using electric pickup microphones in the studio about 1924; before 1924 the studio sound was picked up by big flowery "bells" in a wall, each cone leading to the cutting head of the lathe recording picking up sound acoustically. In the acoustic era of recording, "mixing" meant where you placed the vocals, instruments in proximity to those sound cones, and how loud each instrument/voice played. First jazz record was made in 1917, I think, and the first blues was by Mamie Smith, in 1920.

One-sided Edison discs were made of hard rubber, were about 3/8" thick, with a particle board compressed core--pre-1923. Wax cylinders date back to the 1890s.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:44:33 PM PST
Sound quality:

78s were/could be superior to a 45. The problem with 78s (prior to WWII, not all 78s played at 78 RPM; different manufacturers with a tie-in to different equipment, different record speeds, too) was the use of shellac/sand. The record companies were rationed to 30% of pre-1942 supplies from April, 1942, due to the Japanese cutting off imports of shellac from Burma/Thailand. The three major record companies, Victor, Columbia, Decca (Capitol was just getting started up), cut back to their biggest acts, which were white pop big bands. They also stretched their shellac supplies with more sand. If you bought a record during WWII, you had to exchange an old disc for the new, so used records were recycled/ground up to make new discs.

During the early '50s some of the labels made special vinyl 10" 78s as promos--whisper quiet. Problem with them as collectibles is that they were destroyed so much faster if played on equipment with heavy tonearms. 78s had bigger grooves than a 45, longer sweet-spot playing time (3:20 vs. 2:30 for a 45), and were mastered louder/less compressed. A vinyl 78 at 10" was akin to a 12" single, though with a 3:20 time limit. But: shellac 78s sold broke easily, weighed a ton, were a b**** to ship/mail, took up a lot of space. All of that was a business negative for the companies that sold them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  224
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions