Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 389 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:26:37 AM PST
I still consider it the worst Eagles album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:58:18 AM PST
Exile says:
Probably is....but I haven't heard them all...

The hits are enough for my Eagles fix when it arises.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:02:42 AM PST
zlh67 says:
ha, funny, because those are without question my two favorite albums from those 2 bands....

One man's poison, I guess....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:07:48 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Fair enough, Dee. I would assume pretty much any Stones album or compilation will have stuff worth having, so it all comes down to budget and choices. Let me ask ya this: if (God forbid), your entire Stones collection were to vanish tomorrow and you had $40 or so bucks to spend on replacing your Singles Collection set *OR* picking up a few pre-1968 albums, which would you choose and why?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:14:01 AM PST
Exile says:
WOW! : O

..tough one... I fold...

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 10:18:05 AM PST
Exile says:
Probably the Singles, it's essential and has more of everything all in one place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:38:58 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
Most def the Singles Collection.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:11:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:12:53 PM PST
Yeah, the Singles Collection is definitely the one to get for the hits. If you got that, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed and Exile On Main Street you would have enough to satisfy any casual listener. More than likely, you would then want to go back and get some of the early UK releases and maybe It's Only Rock & Roll, Tattoo You and Get Your Ya Ya's Out though. And then you'd want to find some of those great bootleg releases! lol!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:40:04 PM PST
Speaking of Bootlegs...I have a copy of the often circulated Leeds concert in '71 before the Stones became tax exiles. Great show. I also have a Kansas City gig from the Tattoo You tour where Mick Taylor joins 'em for a few numbers. I also managed to get a copy of the Fort Worth Texas gig before it was officially released a year or so ago. Has anybody gotten the infamous Brussels show from '73? I know the Stones released it as an official download sometime last year...is it worth getting?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:46:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:55:08 PM PST
Exile says:
Brussels is the best live document I have ever heard from the Stones, IMO. It's not as tight as "Ladies and Gents" with a looser, more ramshackle feel but there are great versions of YCAGWYW and especially "Midnight Rambler", which runs about 12 minutes and not a note is wasted. And the Goats material including "Heartbreaker" and "Dancing With Mr. D" are very solid. The live "Dancing..." is the best version of that song I've heard.

It's a must for a Stones fan.

As a sidenote - I have copies of the bootleg AND the downloaded version. The DL version is cleaner, more produced. I happen to prefer the rawness of the boot. It's more accurate as to how they really sounded live but you can't go wrong with either, IMO.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:56:52 PM PST
I agree on Brussels, it is definitely one of my most listened to boots. I also really like the Sticky Fingers Sessions with a great version of Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton on slide guitar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:58:23 PM PST
Nice. I wasn't sure about getting it, but based on your opinions, it sounds like its worth it. Thanks Exile...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:01:38 PM PST
I have the Clapton featured Brown Sugar as well...its very raw recording wise, but its a treat...I think this was recorded on the joint birthday's of Keith and Bobby Keyes(12/18/70)...I thought Leon Russell may have been involved on this, playing piano, but maybe its Nicky Hopkins???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 2:04:56 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Stoner - I have pretty much everything from '68 and forward, but all I have of the early stuff is the "Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass)" comp. + the handful of cuts on "40 Licks", so I'm looking to explore their 1962-1967 years and based on all the responses, it sounds like I should be looking harder at the Singles Collection set... Hmmm.....

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 2:32:45 PM PST
@zlh67: but "Big Hits" and "40 Licks" have most of the important early singles. If you know you like the group, just go for the full-length albums, already! There's tons of great stuff on them!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:55:52 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Topper - that's where my ignorance of the early period Stones comes in: I wasn't sure how many of the songs in teh Singles set were not on albums and what the quality is, ie, how essential those non-album tracks are. As you said, I have a good 15 + of the early singles on Big Hits and 40 Licks, but when I look at the Singles track listing, there's still a good 30 or so songs I've not heard (mostly on the first 2 discs). Then I look at just the two most recent Stones albums I don't have (Aftermath and Between the Buttons) and those too have mostly tracks I've not heard (particularly Buttons).

If the albums will get me everything the singles collection does, I'm content to go that route, but if the Singles Collection gets me the cherry-picked a-sides that also appear on the albums plus some essential (and not available elsewhere) b-sides/non-album tracks, well, that would be tempting too.

So.... how many of those Singles Collection tracks do not appear on any of the albums and are they worth investing in the set, or are they minimal enough that it just makes more sense to start getting the individual albums...?

Decisions, decisions....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 5:01:50 PM PST
zlh

Yeah, most Stones fans once they get the bug become completionists of their early recordings, especially mono recordings and pretty much everything up through It's Only RNR, which seems to get slammed around a bit. It was a transitional record for them, had some good rockers, a couple of good covers a nice ballad and a couple of throwaways.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:18:24 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I don't know about ever becoming a "completionist" -- I like the band but am not obsessed -- but I like the earlier tracks I have via Big Hits & 40 Licks, so want more. I expect they'll be like the Beatles where the further I go back, the more diminishing returns I see, so I'll stop (the earliest Beatles album I really like is Hard Days Night, so I don't bother with the stuff before that).

I can't see myself getting all 8 Stones albums I don't have from 1964-67 *and* the singles collection. Would likely do 3-4 of the earlier albums starting w-Between the Buttons and then going back *or* the Singles Collection, and the more I think about it, it seems like the albums are the way to go. That way I can wade in slowly and see what I like and don't like and just stop if their sound/songwriting starts getting less developed than I like. Perhaps 1 day I'll pick up Satanic Majesties but for now am skipping it and going to Aftermath/Buttons and working back from there...

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:23:47 PM PST
That'll be a good collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 5:35:29 PM PST
@zlh67: between the two, I still say go for the UK albums. The singles collection will give you non-LP tracks you haven't heard, but only a few (mostly from 66-68) are essential. The albums are a virtual goldmine. You'll want it all eventually, but for now I say get the UK Aftermath and go from there.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:40:33 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Will do! Thx.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:17:00 PM PST
I prefer the UK versions of Out of Our Heads/Aftermath and Between the Buttons myself, it was an early growth period for Mick and Keith's writing abilities and Brian Jones' experimenting with various instruments(dulcimer, recorder, sitar, marimba, etc.) added alot of color to certain tracks such as Paint it Black, Backstreet Girl, Ruby Tuesday, Under My Thumb and Yesterday's Papers. Once they got out the psychedelic curveball of Satanic Majesties' unfortunately Brian began to defect from the band. He does contribute slide to Beggars' tracks No Expectations and Jigsaw Puzzle, though I think Ry Cooder does most of the work here, its also rumoured that Keith began using open guitar tunings that he picked up from Cooder, which became a watershed for Richards' techniques.

Someone posted earlier about It's Only Rock N Roll and how its not a bad album, I agree. I think IORR is more solid than the previous Goats Head and the proceeding Black and Blue sets. Goats Head to me, doesn't rock enough and Black and Blue is interesting, but short on memorable material. I would say the only weak track on It's Only RNR is Short and Curlies, overall, even the ballad type songs like If You Really Want To Be My Friend and Till the Next Goodbye might be a bit second-tier but, are still tolerable enough. Emotional Rescue was also mentioned earlier in the thread and its the lesser of Some Girls and Tattoo You, for sure. I wonder what some think of Undercover and Dirty Work? I'd say there's some good tracks like Sleep Tonight, Too Rude, Wanna Hold You, Undercover of the Night and Too Tough, One Hit to the Body ain't bad either...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:47:32 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Zlh67, do you have Big Hits and Forty Licks or are you still comparing those to the Singles Collection?

If you were to get 3 albums instead of the Singles Collection I would suggest Betwen the Buttons UK version, Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers. Just my .02.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:52:11 PM PST
@Thirty-Ought Six: I gotta say I vastly prefer "Goats" to "It's Only Rock'n'Roll". For me, IORR only has the title track, "Time Waits For No One" and "Fingerprint File", and that's about it. "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" is one of the worst covers in their entire canon, IMO (well...there's always "Harlem Shuffle" ;)). "Goats" isn't perfect but I think there's some underrated gems there. "Black And Blue" is a curious album--some of the jams cook, but there's no real *songs* there, except perhaps "Memory Motel"--the rest is pure groove, which sounds good but leaves one with a half-full feeling. "Hey Negrita" is my fave on that one; again, there's not much of a song there but of all the grooves on the album, that one's the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:20:38 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Dee -- I have both the Big Hits 1 & 40 Licks compilations plus just about all the studio albums starting with Beggar's Banquet all the way thru to Bigger Bang (with the exception of Undercover & Dirty Work). And I have several live albums including Ya-Ya's, which i find to be pretty over-rated (I like Stripped better!), so I have a fair amount of the essential catalog and then some, but am severely lacking in the pre-1968 material. So instead of singles I'll likely start with 2-3 albums from 1966-67 starting with Between the Buttons & Aftermath.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions