British Invasion's "Heaviest " Band?.... The Dave Clark Five

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-168 of 168 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 9:51:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 1:51:07 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 7:36:20 AM PDT
stevign says:
Am:

Of course you didn't, you're too much of a lady.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:18:30 AM PST
John says:
the crown record was an effort to get in on the group's popularity by adding the DC5 to an unknown band on one album.The album o only contained 2 DC5 tracks, John Law wasn't one of them.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:28:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:33:05 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
You guys have yet to mention the legendary British singer Terry 'The Voice' Reid. He wrote and appeared with The Hollies. He was first choice lead singer for Led Zepp. Robert Plant was a distant second, he turned it down and the chance to join Deep Purple. he backed the Stones on their U.S. tour of '69 (didn't play Altamont) He always wanted to be a balladeer and made two wonderful records with Graham Nash as producer Seed of Memory & the amazing River (US Release)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:36:00 AM PST
Alright John!
Way to use the search box!

Though I am not familiar with either of them, my guess would have been The Yardbirds or The Who, not the Dave Clark 5.

A list of bands that were involved with the British Invasion between 1964 and 1966.

The Animals
The Beatles
The Dave Clark Five
The Spencer Davis Group
Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders
The Fortunes
Freddie and the Dreamers
Gerry & the Pacemakers
Herman's Hermits
The Hollies
The Honeycombs
The Hullaballoos
The Kinks
Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas
Manfred Mann
Them
The Moody Blues
The Nashville Teens
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
The Pretty Things
The Rolling Stones
The Searchers
Small Faces
The Swinging Blue Jeans
The Tremeloes
The Troggs
Ian Whitcomb
The Who
The Yardbirds
The Zombies

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:37:36 AM PST
I never thought of the Hollies as heavy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:42:42 PM PST
MC Zaptone says:
they weren't, i only mentioned them because T.R. was good mates and wrote for them. If you have never had the pleasure before, pleaselisten to Terry Reid and hear one of the great British voices of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:42:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:42:47 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
I saw Terry Reid on that 69 Stones tour. He was good.
Followed by Chuck Berry.
Then the Rolling Stones.
What a show in Chicago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:02:36 PM PST
stevign says:
I saw Terry Reid open for a band back in 1968, he was pretty good but when he put out his 1st album (Bang, Bang You're Terry Reid) I found it very disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:41:04 PM PST
MC Zaptone says:
His first album was paid and produced by pop mogul Mickey Most, who thought he could make money from Reid as a pop star. I agree it was tosh but got Reid better connections musically and thankfully into better stuff. I would have loved to have seen the set he did for 'The New Yardbirds' which sadly never materialised.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:44:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:03 PM PST
Their song "I Need Love" was pretty heavy for 1965.
Check it out. I thought it to be heavier than the Beatles' recordings of the same year. Though some will disagree.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:54:23 PM PST
Working Man says:
Has anyone mentioned the Yardbirds? Others have mentioned the Animals as well as the Kinks and the Stones, but I would have to go with either the Yardbirds or the Animals as the British Invasions' heaviest bands.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:28:30 AM PST
Hinch says:
I put my vote in for The Animals as the heaviest British Invasion band.

The Stones, The Yardbirds, The Spencer Davis Group and The Zombies were pretty heavy too.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:51:34 AM PST
stevign says:
The heaviest British band was definitely the short-lived group "Santa Barbara Machine Head".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uSH2lxrgSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFFWny2K1NU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREBZH1OwMo

"To look at the line-up of Santa Barbara Machine Head, one would think that it was a super-group, but for the fact that its members hadn't yet done the things that made them famous, much less "super." It's also no accident that Santa Barbara Machine Head incorporates a name that was to become important in the history of Deep Purple-apart from future Faces-Rolling Stone member Ron Wood, Twink (aka John Alder), who later joined Tomorrow and the Pretty Things, and the Creation's Kim Gardener, the band's line-up included Jon Lord, somewhere between the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and a brief touring stint with The Flowerpot Men, enroute to Roundabout, the group whence he would meet Ritchie Blackmore and company.
Santa Barbara Machine Head, organized in 1967, played electric blues rather than proto heavy-metal, and only ever recorded three tracks, "Porcupine Juice, " "Albert, " and "Rubber Monkey, " all under the auspices of Andrew "Loog" Oldham's newly-formed Immediate Records. They might've lasted longer but for the fact that each of them-but especially Jon Lord-had bigger fish to fry in other genres and musical settings." ~ Allmusic

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:27:33 AM PST
The Yardbirds rocked harder than anyone as far as the first period of the British invasion. There rave up style and prolonged guitar solos may well have been the first British (or American) band to play lke that. Even if I am wrong and they were not, they were surely among the firsts and the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:11:53 AM PST
I was thinking Santa Monica Machine Head. They formed in 67, a year after Cream. So that is 3 years after the invasion and should not count. They had potential though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:06:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2013 8:14:39 PM PDT
stevign says:
Santa Monica Machine Head must be their sister band huh? ;~)

Posted on May 11, 2013 8:09:38 PM PDT
Brought back to the top by popular demand...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  May 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions