Customer Discussions > Music forum

John, Paul, George & Ringo : 50 years after their first recording sessions...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:51:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 5:55:22 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Bonnie

Thanks for trusting my opinion. I hope I don't let you down.

:-)

I think Ringo's latest Ringo 2012 [Amazon.com Exclusive CD+DVD Version] may be his best.

His previous two Y Not and Liverpool 8 were very good also. I especially like Y NOT. For me, it's close to being as good as his latest.

Ringo and Goodnight Vienna were good early Ringo albums. Many consider RINGO to be his best.

I have Stop And Smell The Roses on vinyl, but havent listened to it for a while. From what I remember, I think I liked it quite well.

Some people like RINGORAMA, but I dont remember liking it a lot.
He also has a couple of "best of" compilations; THE VERY BEST OF and BLAST FROM YOUR PAST.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:59:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 6:23:06 PM PDT
Hinch says:
One more I just remembered is pretty good too. It has some good songs. "Weight of The World" is one of my alltime favorite Ringo songs.

Time Takes Time.

It was released in 1992, after his recording career almost ended with the cancellation of his contract in 1983 after the release of OLD WAVE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:21:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 6:25:04 PM PDT
Hinch says:
My favorite solo albums are

John Lennon; PLastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games & Wall and Bridges. I also like side one of Live Peace In Toronto, but Yoko screams all the way through side two, lol! Rock and Roll, Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey are good, even some of Yoko's songs on the last two are not bad.

George; All Things Must Pass, George Harrison, Cloud 9 and Brainwashed.

Traveling Wilburys' first album (w/Harrison, Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynn) was also very good.

McCartney; McCartney, Ram, Speed of Sound, Tug of War, Flaming Pie, Driving Rain, Memory Almost Full.

My favorite Ringo albums have already been listed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:26:44 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
That Traveling Wilbury's Album is nice.

Of the others, I've heard Ram, Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and McCartney or at least a good portion of each.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:37:22 PM PDT
barbW says:
from Wiki;

According to Peter Brown, John Lennon believed that a number of songs on Ram contained jibes aimed at him, particularly "Too Many People" and "Dear Boy".[9] Brown also described the picture of two beetles copulating on the back cover as symbolic of how Paul McCartney felt the other Beatles were treating him.[9] George Harrison and Ringo Starr were said to consider the track "3 Legs" as an attack on them and Lennon[10] ("Three Legs" being McCartney's nickname for his former band-mates).
McCartney later claimed that only two lines in "Too Many People" were directed at Lennon. "In one song, I wrote, 'Too many people preaching practices,' I think is the line. I mean, that was a little dig at John and Yoko. There wasn't anything else on [Ram] that was about them. Oh, there was 'You took your lucky break and broke it in two.'"[11]
As well as conducting a war of words via Britain's music press,[10] Lennon's response was the scathing "How Do You Sleep?",[9] and it has been considered too that "Crippled Inside", also from his Imagine album, was directed at McCartney.[10][12] Early editions of Imagine included a postcard of Lennon pulling the ears of a pig in a parody of Ram's cover photograph of McCartney holding a ram by the horns.[13]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:39:22 PM PDT
The only Ringo album I bought was "Rotogravure" on tape many years ago.
It wasn't bad, quite liked it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:44:33 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I still have that old postcard of John and the pig. I think I have it in a small frame.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:47:38 PM PDT
H&L says:
Hey Gang,

Thanks to Joyce and Ron I found the new thread. Boy we been though about three threads I think. We are a tight old gang:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:48:33 PM PDT
Donald,
I saw 'Play it Again Sam' on Broadway in September 1969. It starred Woody Allen, and Diane Keaton. I have always been a big Bogart fan. It was great.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:52:00 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
I actually was curious about that, I remember seeing a video of Lennon making I believe it was the "Imagine" album and he and George and Yoko had just finishing eating and went back to recording and Lennon started singing a song blasting who I believed was McCartney.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:52:02 PM PDT
Donald,
I think George saved 'All Things Must Pass' for his solo album. Paul and John rejected a lot of his songs, and I think he decided to keep it for himself. I think he was tired of being treated like a younger brother.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:53:52 PM PDT
Love Time Takes Time. and the Ringo ('73) album. Y Not is up there as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:54:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 6:58:54 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I have that album. I think I have most of his albums. I dont think I have OLD WAVE. Some of his albums I bought from bargain bins. I think ROTOGRAVURE is one of those. I think Ringo is the only Beatle Ive ever seen in cutouts(bargain bin).

I bought one Beatles album from a bargain bin. introducing the beatles LP in the 80 or 90s. Some of the songs have "McCartney/Lennon" as writers.

It's the same album as the one with the gatefold Songs & Pictures Of The Fabulous Beatles/Introducing The Beatles which I also have. I bought this one, or maybe my mother bought it for me, when it was first issued in the 60s. Both are on the VJ label. My mother bought quite a few of the first few albums I owned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:54:56 PM PDT
Hinch says:
H&L

Glad you was able to find it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:56:14 PM PDT
Hinch,
Even Mark Twain said "the first thing we need to do is get rid of lawyers".
I believe that's a quote from Shakespere. I'm not sure what play it's from. Someone out there must know.
Hinch, Thanks for keeping this going.
Joyce, feel better. Lay down and listen to 'Abbey Road'.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:58:10 PM PDT
Hinch,
Ringo is a big fan of country music. He recorded a number of Buck Owens songs. He even did a duet with him on 'Act Naturally' later on.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:01:50 PM PDT
Hinch says:
That could be. Im sure Twain was familiar with William.

:-)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:03:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 7:06:07 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Wow! I just came across this while browsing amazon. Just looking at this one brings back memories.

The Beatles' Second Album

Probably my favorite U.S Beatles album.

" made its debut among the Billboard Top LPs at number 16 on April 25, 1964 and replaced Meet the Beatles as number 1 on May 2, 1964, remaining in the number 1 spot for five weeks. "

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:25:18 PM PDT
Isn't memory odd. I can remember the detail of the clothing the Beatles wore when I saw them. Perhaps we remember the things that really mean something just to us. Of course, your first sentence about JFK etc.. and I can't think of anyone who wouldn't remember at the least 1 if not 2 of those horrific events. I sat in on interview with Placido Domingo in which he was asked how many roles did he have in his repetoire, he said about 130. I asked him how long it took to learn a score and he said about a week. Words first, then the music. And to return to a work he hadn't done in years only took a run through before he had remembed it all. I was impressed. Maybe Domingo and Robert Mitchum shared the same "secret".
Although singers of that genre are pretty careful about their throats.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:28:26 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Wow! You've met/known some interesting people in your life.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:30:59 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I just posted this on a different thread. I thought I'd bring it here while I've still got it copied.

It's from the album of duets, Rhythm Country & Blues.

Conway Twitty and Sam Moore - Rainy Night In Georgia

http://youtu.be/cAA_LUCb0QE

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:37:42 PM PDT
barbW says:
Didn't John realize that it would make things worse? Today we forget how young they were, they still weren't as old as Jesus lived to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:38:42 PM PDT
DKPete says:
What I don't like about Ringo's last few albums (pretty much everything he's been putting out since he began the All Star tours) is that he seems to be trying really hard to create Ringo albums totally engulfed in that all-round Beatles sound. The vast majority of his material sounds like Beatle re-creations on one level or other....the song structures, the actual tone of the instruments...

This got me to thinking the other day, he's always spoken of his love for Country music. Why not re-visit what he did on his second solo album and make a good, solid Country flavored album..?? I think the results would be far more original and interesting than the overtly Beatleish stuff he's been putting our repeatedly over the last 25 years or so. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:40:38 PM PDT
barbW says:
George took sides? Or maybe he didn't take it seriously. He never wanted to be famous he said, just successful in music. John and Paul were interested in fame somewhat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:42:10 PM PDT
Dear Joyce
I can't believe you are still suffering. I may have put my head in the oven by now. I caught your mentioning Marylu Henner. This is such a weird story that I just have to relate it. I was flying out of the Oakland airport last summer(back here to LA) and realized that the woman I was sitting next to in the waiting area was Ms. Henner. Period. However, when it got time to board their were about 4 gigantic (to us at least) security - the ones with weapons the whole bit. They had clipboads and were looking for someone. Ms. Henner and I were 1 -2 in the line to board when the literally grabbed us both and pulled us out of line. We were not to gently patted down, id'd to death, pictures taken. All of this in front of hundreds of kinda of terrorized passengers. Suddenly, without so much as "sorry" they shoved us back in line. It was only then that she spoke to me and tried to laugh. It wasn't funny at all. It was humiliating. She did say that we were both tiny and would wear the same size prison jump suit. We sat together on the flight, but I think we didn' really have any words at that point. It is one of the great mysteries of my life as to why we were treated in such a manor. Hate to have been the person they were looking for. End of story, but it's still with me a year later.
Get better
love
Bonnie
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions