Customer Discussions > Music forum

John, Paul, George & Ringo : 50 years after their first recording sessions...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:45:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 7:46:20 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
It was the song you mentioned earlier "How Do You Sleep", here's a short clip of what I saw if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7CLXHSr1M

There's some intro commentary from Yoko and then John speaks about it at the end

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:49:57 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I think some of the stuff they did back and forth was just maybe funning with each other. Friends do that sometimes. I dont know....maybe some of it was serious.

"How Do You Sleep" was supposed to be aimed at Paul. "Steel and Glass" was supposed to be aimed at Allen Klein. In an interview John said he later looked at some of the songs he wrote and realized they were really about himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:51:08 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
Yes, that's what he says at the end of this clip. I think you're correct, it was some fun and some serious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:51:38 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
He feels he has to sell well? 'Doesn't want to flop, that would be the worst..

I assume you mean more traditional Country? The Country that sells today is very formulaic AND relying heavily on girls showing a lot of smooth skin for eye candy like in the rap videos. What drama could Ringo pull off, with the obligatory young model flitting around? It's a puzzle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:55:29 PM PDT
M. Jones
It's the way I feel about the Abbey Road cover. It's beome such a great symbol and one that I bet just anybody anywhere would recognize it. To me it's them leaving Abbey Road forever and not in the usual order one always sees(or hears) their names. John, Ringo, Paul George. Doesn't have the same ring to it, but to them it probably didn't matter. I've always wondered what the people you see in the background think today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:56:03 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I think making anmother country album might be a good ide, especially if he got a good producer, and maybe he knows his vocal limitations more now than in the early days.

It's funny though, I've listened to his last 3 albums quite a bit lately, and I was thinkng how they didnt sound much like The Beatles. I would think he would want to inject some of that sound into his music, but I dont hear it. I guess we all hear things differntly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:00:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 8:00:41 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
Hi Bonnie,

I have thought about if sometimes they missed just being a band who wrote songs and played in clubs as they did in Germany in their early days. After all the things they went through, makes you wonder what it was like for them to walk out of that studio and seeing those around them. As the 1970's went on, I wonder if they thought that surely we'll get back together at some point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:00:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 2, 2012 8:06:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:01:10 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
Then it was a natural continuation of their youth, with some more grownup issues in the air, and a lot of money in their pockets by then, but still, as Hinch says, half ribbing, half serious. I like to think that they never forgot their boyish history together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:02:44 PM PDT
Shining Star says:
Agreed, their was a lot of time spent together and a lifetime full of memories, those things are never fully forgotten.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:05:06 PM PDT
Eddie H
What a beautiful way to say it -about Abbey
Road and The End. I think those last few lines about love is what they were about from the very beginning and were now mature enough to put it into a perfect sentence. Right there they became a part of eternity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:25:17 PM PDT
It is just like Sputnik, Comrade stevign!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:34:26 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Donald:
i have never seen the movie all the way thru....i have, of course, heard of it, but had never heard the quote before....
no, that's o.k., i wasn't upset at you at all....just thought the quote was disturbing, but i understand, if it has to do with Woody Allen, it's supposed to be "not to be taken seriously".....
one of the funniest movies i saw of his was i think "ny stories"...in particular, this part about him taking his mother to a magic show, the magician asks for volunteers and is going to make them "disappear", Woody Allen talks his mother into volunteering, and sure enough, he does make her disappear, but cannot seem to make her "reappear"...Woody is filled with guilt at first, goes to see a psychiatrist about it, but then becomes happy (which also makes him feel guilty). Then he hears her yelling at him, as usual, and realizes she is now "up in the sky", and can see and hear everything he does, says, etc., so he is actually even worse off (with his relationship with his mother) than he was before! very very funny! if you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out! no prob about the quote, really! don't worry!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:36:07 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
i understand completely....got confused as to which one you were looking for....if it's the car, then i would say one that holds 6 is adequate; as far as the home one, yes, i agree, one that holds a lot would be good, but don't know the prices, models, etc., but i think Lawrence might be someone good to ask...
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:38:07 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Music Luver:
no, i know that....it's fine! i was just commenting that i thought she was born before me, is all....i wasn't insulted at all, or thinking you were saying i looked old....just saying!
love,
joyce

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 8:40:13 PM PDT
Severin says:
I'm old enough to remember the music climate of the '70s when the Beatles had split up. Everyone kept asking if/when they would get together again. They kept looking for the new Beatles-sounding group, the Bee-Gees, Klaatu, the Bay City Rollers. Capitol milked it by releasing the red and blue albums in 1973, then "Rock 'n' Roll" in 1976, "Love Songs" and "The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl" in 1977 and "The Beatles Rarities" in 1980. They kept fanning the flames but the Beatles tried not to sound like the Beatles. They want to make their own sound. Wings played very few Beatles songs in concert, John would only do 1 at the Toronto concert and the New York concert.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:41:23 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
hey! glad you made it here, finally! i have been here and not here today, as my headache has been bad at times, so.,..
talk to you later! glad you are here!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:42:25 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear M. Jones:
yeah, that would have been John's "how do you sleep?" that's our Johnny, subtle as usual! lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:43:40 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear John:
thanks so much, John! it goes in waves, so......
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:47:04 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear werranth413:
i don't think John cared, in that moment....he was just angry, and lashing out.....subtlity was never John's strong suit... lol!
(well, at least the good thing is he would usually get out his anger, and then let it go! he got over it! it was just a really bad and confusing time for all of them, I think.)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:48:37 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear werranth413:
yeah, at the time, George had his own reasons for being teed off at Paul.....just a bad time for all of them; all the way around....he got over it (eventually) too! i guess alls well that ends well, right? lol!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:50:02 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Bonnie:
thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes! also for the interesting story! never a dull moment, huh?
:)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:50:24 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Joyce

Ive never been able to get into any Woody Allen movies. I guess I could never get his humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:52:06 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch:
i do think that often, when we are furious at someone for something, if we really "look at it", we often find that it is a quality we have ourselves, and that we dislike, but seem unable to conquer, completely.....it's funny how that is often the case....i guess John was no exception!
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:56:30 PM PDT
Joyce says:
Dear M. Jones, Bonnie, and All:
yeah, i think it must have been strange, and also really scary, but i still believe the break was inevitable, as they could not really "grow up", and be their own person, without making a break for a while....yeah, i think in time they would have come back together for projects, or this and that, but never as a group entity, for any length of time....just my own opinion....i do think they would have continued to work together though, in 2s or 3s, but probably not all together, as the rumors of a "reunion" would start to fly, fast and furious! I do think John and Paul would have gotten together and worked together as well, over the years, as more time went by, but sadly, they never got that chance....
love,
joyce
Discussion locked

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions