Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best bass players in rock, Please no jazz etc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 225 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:34:05 PM PDT
I saw David Lee Roth on the first big solo tour when he had Vai and Billy Sheehan. Billy could do everything on bass that Vai could do on guitar. I've never seen anything quite like Billy, that's just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 8:01:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2011 8:01:40 PM PDT
Bryan, Billy, back in the seventies sent a tape and a photo/biography into Guitar Players magazine and wound up in it. The magazine would feature three players on a single page. They could be rock, classical or whatever. They showed(I think for a joke)a japanese kid dressed up in a feathered bird costume. He liked theatrical dressup stuff and there was his picture. I always thought it was cool Billy got on that page. I think his band was Talas or something like that. He was just an unknown kid sending in a demo hoping to get picked.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 8:01:37 PM PDT
JP says:
Seen Billy Sheehan with Talas, UFO, and Vai - simply amazing all three times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 9:25:42 PM PDT
Hey, you're cheating! If this is aloud to stand I'm gonna start naming jazz guys right and left.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 9:26:06 PM PDT
Saw Billy a couple times on "That Metal Show." He gets bonus points for being an extremely humble and likable guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 9:29:03 PM PDT
Once saw Mr. Big from the front row when they were opening for Rush, Billy was quite impressive. I also like his work with Niacin.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 12:34:51 AM PDT
Karen Hill says:
Gene Simmons

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 6:15:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 6:22:30 AM PDT
Binky Yutz says:
I will give you all the traditional "rock" Bassists: Entwhistle, Bootsy, etc.

Here's one nobody has mentioned:

Troy Johnson: of JRZ System, not a very successful band, they are from Omaha, Nebraska, and do a lot of shows in the Mid West. I saw them in Denver, and Troy does things with a bass I have never seen. He plays his bass like a lead guitar, he even does the famous "Eddie Van Halen" harmonics on his bass. It was the first time I have ever seen the bass take the lead role in a tune. The song "Safari Boots", if you can find it?

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:18:08 AM PDT
Mike C. says:
Paul McCartney
Geddy Lee
Michael Anthony

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 10:19:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 10:30:13 AM PDT
Yes! Someone mentioned Rocco!! You have to throw Stu Hamm in there as well.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:25:04 AM PDT
Billy Cox from Band Of Gypsys/Jimi Hendrix. Better bass player than Noel Redding

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 10:55:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 10:58:51 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
I saw him not long ago there with Glenn Hughes, Bryan,,,pretty cool installment of That Metal Show. Could sense mutual admiration between these guys, which was nice.

btw,,,super cool profile pic :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 1:14:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 1:16:20 PM PDT
Pretty much agree with you there. Pete Townshend said the beauty of the early Experience shows was how Noel played real simple and repeditive while Jimi was free to go nuts. Noel was on a great ride but was pretty much told not to change. Jimi ignored the audience asking for Noel's songs and Noel got fed up with it. It got to where Jimi and Noel didn't talk, so the band was having NO fun on stage. They would take drugs to escape ON stage and some shows would get messy and the band didn't care. Billy wanted to help and knew his roll in the Hendrix band. Noel wanted the spotlight sometimes but Billy never did. I don't really blame Noel but people need to realize the JHE was his second band ever. Here he is, a world famous bassist who really wanted to play guitar, and he never got to until Fat Mattress was opening for the Experience........and they fired him. Neither he nor Mitch ever got out from under Jimi's shadow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 1:14:47 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Rob,,,I have been looking at the Nov. '81 issue of GP lately (Peter Frampton on the cover).
This issue has an interview with Mike Varney, the guy who of course started Shrapnel Records and later had a "Spotlight" column that may be the one you were referring to. Somewhere here, i have the issues where i first saw Billy Sheehan (stage shot, arm over his head) and Paul Gilbert (15 or 16 year old kid, outside shot, white pullover w/blk stripes, Flying V in his hands). Kinda cool these guys hooked up later.
Think they have a new album out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 1:20:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 1:23:53 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Rob,,,I saw a program on the Bio channel the other day on Hendrix,,,think it was called "The Man They Made God" or something, done in 2001 or so. Hadn't seen this one before.
They interviewed Noel for this and he mentioned he was fired from the band,,,i always thought he quit due to money. Wound being he was asking too much about the money, apparently.

Too bad, really. I liked Noel's tunes, She's So Fine and Little Miss Strange.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 1:31:27 PM PDT
Glen, you should see the clip of Eric Clapton asking Robert Stigwood about using Creams profits to promote the Bee Gee's. Clapton's barely contained anger of the Cream paying for a bubble gum act of Stigwoods ON FILM for the world to see, well Stigwood was embarrased, but still mentioned how rich he got. It was shot when Clapton toured with Muddy in the mid seventies. Back to Hendrix, Mike Jefferys would give the band contracts to sign after he got them stoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 1:49:31 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Haven't seen the EC thing, but yeah,,,pretty underhanded of Ol' Mike, eh Rob? guess karma caught up with him (plane crash).

Reminds me of Buddy Guy talking that fan out of his late fiftie's/early '60s Strat for a signed PolkaDot BG strat and some money after 'a few' drinks. Poor dude.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 3:06:20 PM PDT
A Hermit says:
Some people have said Jack Bruce, but Bruce himself has said he plays jazz. In Cream, Clapton played amplified blues, while Bruce and Ginger Baker played jazz.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 5:17:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2011 5:19:26 PM PDT
Tommy Skylar says:
I don't know about best but here's a few I personally like :

Geddy Lee (Rush)
John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
Jack Bruce (Cream)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Michael Anthony (Van Halen)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Dusty Hill (ZZ Top)
Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 5:22:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 30, 2011 5:48:41 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:11:42 PM PDT
Chas Chandler of The Animals did some good work. Like the bass line on 'We Gotta Get Out of This Place'.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 3:05:41 AM PDT
Geddy Lee- Rush
Sting
Paul McCartney
Flea-Red Hot Chilli Peppers

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 8:01:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2011 8:03:37 AM PDT
club 7 says:
My Fave 7
1. john entwistle-the who
2. jack bruce-cream
3. geezer butler-sabbath
4. billy sheehan-roth,mr. big, etc
5. paul mccartney-beatles
6. geddy lee-rush
7. flea-red hot chili peppers

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 7:05:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 7:08:12 AM PDT
Shining Star says:
In no particular order:

Geddy Lee - Rush
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
John Entwhistle - The Who
Chris Squire - Yes
Chuck Rainey - Steely Dan
Roger Waters - Pink Floyd
Maurice Gibb - The Bee Gees

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 8:14:01 AM PDT
KOP ESF says:
Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, John Wetton, Tony Levin, Les Claypool, Flea, Jack Bruce. Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm. There seems to be many fine bass guitarists in metal but I'm not familiar with all their names.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  225
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions