Customer Discussions > Music forum

When you listen to songs by an artist who is no longer alive, does it affect your enjoyment of the music/listening experience knowing that the artist has died?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 16, 2013 3:49:28 PM PDT
Today in the forest a coyote leapt high into the air and chomped down a tree squirrel and it was very horrible.
I will continue to play four square though even after this terrible state of affairs!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:47:59 AM PDT
Yeah, well, you know, I'm not saying, I'm just saying, at the end of the day, it is what it is, man. IMHO

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:42:08 AM PDT
tmoore says:
Not really for me. Enough of the artists I listen to have died -- so much so that it doesn't affect me. I think it also depends on how close (timewise) to the death the music you are listening to is from.

A lot of people are mentioning the closeness of "(Just Like) Starting Over" and Lennon's death. I had heard "(Just Like) Starting Over" several times before his death, as it was climbing the pop charts then. I even told my older brother, about three weeks before Lennon's death, about the new Lennon song that was playing on the radio.

So that's not the song that reminds me of Lennon's death. For me, it's "Mind Games". As I mentioned in another thread, I awoke the morning after the murder to "Mind Games", and found out about the murder after the song was over. The particular lyrics that still chill me to this day the ones beginning with "love is..."

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 8:12:18 AM PDT
no

once seeing a movie i felt something for a moment
then got over it

listening has never done anything just because the artist died

Posted on May 14, 2013 6:05:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2013 6:05:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:15:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 7:15:54 AM PST
MC Zaptone says:
I think it really matters if the artist has died, as a result I stopped listening to Wolfgang Mozart in 1791. I refuse to visit Vienna and have relinquished the Catholic Church too.
I have even given up wearing a gold laced cocked hat, as a mark of respect to the artist.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:07:02 AM PST
C. Kimbrough says:
The only one that fits the category for me is Steve Marriott (fire). But we lost several last month and I'm still thinking of them when I listen to their music-Ray Collins, Lee Dorman, Ed Cassidy and Dave Brubeck.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 7:27:50 PM PST
Whenever I listen to Roy Orbison, I think about the MAJOR comeback he sadly missed when he was felled by his heart attack. After so many years in obscurity, he so deserved it, but didn't live to see it. But great music is great music, and just the knowledge the artist is dead doesn't change that for me.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 4:29:34 PM PST
A. Vernon says:
Not usually, but I feel affected when I listen to Steve Goodman -- a gifted lyricist and funny man who left us far too early. "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" may have turned autobiographical for him.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 5:39:50 AM PST
S. Stalcup says:
No one's mentioned the flip side of things: When you didn't like an artist before they died and perhaps like them EVEN LESS after their passing. I'm completely serious about this. Case in point, "Loving You" by Minnie Riperton. She hits those high notes and GAH! Sets the teeth on edge worse than someone rubbing bits of styrofoam together. Apologies to Maya Rudolph and all, but again I say, GAH!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 5:12:55 PM PST
zlh67, you put Stevie's situation in the proper perspective. Thanks...

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:21:17 PM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Funny but unless the artist was a contemporary, if I was a fan of their music while they were alive, I don't care that much. I didn't get upset over Jimi Hendrix because he left a good legacy and I was too young to be a fan when he died. I was more upset over Miles Davis but he was already old, had a full life and had a fantastic body of work behind him. When I listen to his music I don't think of him being dead actually, the music is still alive and vital. Same with Art Blakey. I get sadder over bands I love(d) breaking up while I think they still have something left to say. But when I listen to the music I concentrate on the music and not the people making it so much.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:33:50 PM PST
Working Man says:
No, I don't think it makes any difference in my enjoyment of the music if an artist is dead or alive.

However, I do think that sometimes when an artist dies his/her legend grows as does their popularity. It can get to where they are more popular after their death than when they were alive. This gets a little annoying and spoils my enjoyment, but it's not the fact that they've passed away, it's the overexposure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 11:44:07 AM PST
zlh67 says:
I moved to Austin in '87, well after Stevie Ray's star had risen, and it's such a blues town that I got burnt out on it VERY quickly and never really appreciated Stevie while he was alive, or at least not as much as I do now. But figured I needed to see him live at least once. But he played here so often that I always said "next time". Luckily he toured with Jeff Beck in 1989 and that was enough to tip the scale and make me say "ok, it's time", so I caught that show and both he and Beck were amazing. It wasn't Stevie's last performance in Austin, but there weren't many more after that one.... I have no problem listening to his stuff though. He went through the fire and came out alive and lived his dreams and died immediately after doing what loved most: making music.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:29:06 AM PST
B L T says:
For awhile I had a hard time listening to John Lennon after I heard he'd been shot to death. Other than that, dead or alive it doesn't affect my listening pleasure.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:54:23 PM PST
Firefly,
Count your blessings. I never got to see Stevie Ray perform.
I did get to see Jimi though.
John

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:48:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:13:00 PM PST
I have a hard time enjoying the music of Stevie Ray Vaughan since his sudden and untimely death.
I saw him live at least 3 times over the years and still miss his presence.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:19:03 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I'll agree with a few others and say Lennon's "Double Fantasy" stuff. The uncharacteristically happy vibe of that material contrasted with his brutal and senseless murder and the fact that they came so close to one another can't help but bring about a little melancholy, at least sometimes, but I still like the album.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:40:16 PM PST
A customer says:
Dirty Old Bastard, huh? I must have missed that one.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:52:28 PM PST
When some brain dead idiot drives by me blasting out their window at a two hundred decibel level the repugnant noise of such rap/hip-hop "artists" as Tupac, Dirty Old Bastard or The Notorius BIG; I can take solace in the fact that none of the three gentlemen are around anymore to continue to pollute the airwaves with their aural sewage.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:32:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 2:56:00 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Was listening to Gil Scott-Heron this morning on the way to work (Pieces of a Man) and felt a bit sad that such an important artist died at a relatively early age, following prolonged drug abuse and spells in jail. Then Lady Day And John Coltrane came on and I remembered that he had left an extraordinary body of work behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:54:08 AM PST
Not necessarily. Many of them had already given us everything they had to offer and might have ended up plowing the same old ground. There are exceptional artists like Nick Drake, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, and Miles Davis who would have at least tried to explore new territory even without drugs but sadly could never get clean.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:27:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:28:55 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I miss Zappa...I wonder what he would have said about some of the events that have occured since his death. (Bill's hummer for one!)
And Moonie's drumming...I MISS MOON!
Otherwise...NO.

Also when I hear The Doors it makes me wish I would have been old enough to see them.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:27:42 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Rather difficult to listen to Guitar Romantic considering the single vehicle accident that killed 3 of the 4 band members. They sounded like The Clash if Mick was the only singer. Brilliant stuff and they left us too soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:22:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 6:26:09 PM PST
Hinch says:
If the artist died young, I may feel some sadness and wonder what the artist may have done if he/she had lived longer. It might make me appreciate the music more knowing the artist is gone but it doesn't cause me to like the music of an artist I didn't like when the artist was living.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6482 14 seconds ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4447 3 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4063 8 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4838 13 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 31 17 minutes ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 42 43 minutes ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 175 5 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 46 5 hours ago
Favourite Female Artists 1715 6 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 30 6 hours ago
The Mount Rushmore of Music 103 7 hours ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 29 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  May 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions