Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stones fans, I have a question....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 389 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 7:07:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2014 7:08:57 PM PST
J. E FELL says:
Peter Frampton & Shuggie Otis also auditioned along with Harvey Mandel, Dave "Clem" Clempson & Nils Lofgren among others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:15:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:15:31 AM PST
Eddie H. says:
wilder....That would have been amazing, the Stones also wanted and asked Rory gallagher but he didn't want to be in a group, he wanted to be a solo artist....The Mick Taylor, for me and IMO were by fay when the Stones were at their best,,,Taylor was/is in a the league with the Beck's etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 10:31:11 AM PST
There would be a lot more lead guitar runs than what Woody has given us.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 10:15:49 AM PST
wow can you possibly imangine jeff beck a rolling stone

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 12:54:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2013 12:56:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:24:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 8:19:29 PM PST
Jones may not be known for his songwriting, but didn't he co-write 'Ruby Tuesday' with Richards, despite getting no credit? If so, he must of had at least some talent in the writing area.
( Although Ian Stewart supposedly said Jones' songs, - the few that he played in the studio - were "bloody awful").

Most 'autobiographies' of today are ghost written from start to finish, barely a word written by the subject matter. I wonder how often the subject matter ever bothers to 'proof read' what's been written about them?

I guess most people treat autobiographies as the holy gospel, even though I think of 'em as "ghost written potboilers" (To quote Gore Vidal). But they are fun to read, and browse through!

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:40:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 1:40:29 PM PST
Yes, once you get a glance at Anita you can see why the members of the Stones put up with her high-stakes drama. She literally had them mesmerized--not hard to do, with those looks. She was actually excellent (and very hot) in "Performance", and had a great supporting role in "Barbarella". She was good at playing evil, twisted, drop-dead gorgeous femme fatales. I wonder why... ;)

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:36:18 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Yeah, I remember Anita. She may have had them all topped in the looks department -- and that's really saying something.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:34:22 PM PST
Man i was completely unaware of Anita Pallenberg. I just spent a bit browsing You Tube watching interviews with her. Man what a looker. I can see the total appeal of her. Marianne Faithful and Nico especially have a similar appeal. Just amazingly hot back in the 60's.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:32:14 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Steelers fan: Thanks for the pix. Looking at either Boyd girl is better than getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick. I enjoyed Chris O'Dells book more than Pattie's. Chris seemed to retain a little more of the "I know I'm lucky having grown up as a small town girl," while Pattie likes to reminisce about mansions, trendy clothes, sports cars, and exotic vacation spots. Of course, I guess Pattie is a little higher on the food chain.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:59:25 PM PST
@Steelers fan: there's always been something about Clapton's personality in interviews (even after he got clean) that I find a complete and total turn-off. I can't pinpoint it, but Pattie's estimation of him doesn't seem surprising to me.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:47:59 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
In Pattie's memoirs, "Wonderful Tonight", George Harrison comes off much better than Clapton, who is portrayed as pretty much a drunken, drug-addicted lout.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:45:49 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
Pattie and Jenny together.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:41:01 PM PST
@zapatos espinados: Yes, Mick dated and then married Jenny, a marriage that broke up around the time of "Rumours" when all of the Mac's various romances hit the toilet. Jenny was as beautiful as Patti, but Patti said in her memoir that Jenny just never really had the urge to become a model. She tried a little modeling in the 60s, but it never really went anywhere. She dated Donovan and also attended the Maharishi's meditation retreat at Rishikesh with Donovan, the other Beatles and their wives. She then moved on to Mick Fleetwood and they married in 1970. After the divorce in 1976 she re-married and divorced Fleetwood yet again, according to Wikipedia. She then married drummer Ian Wallace (who was briefly in King Crimson in the early 70s) in 1984, but they divorced as well. I've seen pictures of her from back in the 60s, she looked a lot like her sister.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 12:10:15 PM PST
RE: George was OK with it because he wanted to sleep with Pattie's sister Jenny.

Who was with Mick Fleetwood (if my timing is correct) and much admired in song by Donovan.

Ah, Swingin' London. A unique time and place.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:51:04 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
@Topper and zapatos: You mention partner swapping among the musical rich and famous at the time. Two stories involving George Harrison, which you've likely heard before: supposedly when Clapton just came right out and told George he wanted to sleep with Pattie Boyd Harrison, after a long period of enamourment, George was OK with it because he wanted to sleep with Pattie's sister Jenny. Also when George confronted Ringo and said "I'm in love with your wife" (Maureen), George replied, "At least it's somebody we know."

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:40:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 11:47:18 AM PST
Jones seemed to have had a very split persona, which got even more split as the drugs and booze worsened. He was clearly an enormous musical talent who could play anything, and brilliantly incorporate it into the group's basic pop/rock sound. He was also their most immaculate dresser with an extraordinary, very 60s sense of taste (look at any photo of the Stones in the 60s, and Brian is always the best-dressed). Those he partied with, loved to hang out with him. But he was also a jealous, paranoid and extremely self-centered individual who never acknowledged any of the five children he fathered (one as early as the age of 14!) and, yes, fought with his girlfriends. He tried to punch them, but I find it somewhat amusing that the most prominent girlfriend he had, Anita, fought right back and more often than not was the one beating *him* up! People who knew him claim that he could be mannered and genteel one minute, then paranoid violent schizo the next. There's no doubt that the extraordinary mix of pills, booze and hallucinogenics he was on contributed greatly to his worst tendencies. He was great to party with, but a nightmare to work with in the studio, especially on their last two or three albums with him. He was also a closet bisexual who, like Brian Epstein, had to hide his behavior seeing as how homosexual behavior was illegal in the UK until August '67. I think he was the most interesting Stone, and musically speaking is my favorite of the band, although he couldn't write a song to save his life.

Brian Jones was the original template for the bad boy behavior of Mick and Keith--both Jagger and Richards ended up being just as self-centered, with Jagger adopting Jones' callously promiscuous behavior (Jones had five illegitimate children he never recognized--Jagger is rumored to have around *forty*), while Keith was promiscuous but also descended into a drug addiction that rivaled just about anybody's, and made him almost as dysfunctional as Brian in the studio in the mid-70s (which is why those albums are largely Jagger-oriented--Jagger didn't have a choice but to take the lead, then).

Bass boy's story about Brian's friend pounding on the door to get into the apartment is curious--you'd think someone wouldn't stay there all night trying to get in, once they got the general hint. Or, as he notes, why Keith wouldn't let him in. Brian really was the leader of the group in the early days and I suppose what he said, went, until about early '65 when he was usurped by the songwriting skills of the others.

Keith was pretty critical of Brian, but he was pretty critical of Mick, too, in that bio if I remember, which of course caused a rift between him and Jagger that almost didn't make the 50th anniversary plans happen. The Rolling Stones are not exactly the most harmonious of bands, although when asked about it in an interview last year, Jagger said that he thought the group's interpersonal relationships weren't bad at all compared to a lot of other famous bands--which, when you think about it, is probably true, LOL. The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, The Kinks and others come instantly to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:11:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 11:14:37 AM PST
bass boy says:
Keith's book also paints Jones to be cruel to their mutual friends. While Keith and Brian hung out and listened to music indoors during the winter, Jones allegedly would make a third (non-famous) friend wait outside in the freezing cold, begging to get into the apartment. That seems cruel on Jones' part, and it's strange that a third friend would put up with that kind of behavior, no matter how big of a star Brian/the Stones were at that time.

But it's also sad that Keith didn't really do much, according to his book, to help that friend. He could have said "Hey, Brian, that's not funny anymore. Let the guy inside." But Keith kind of seemed like a bystander, in a way tolerating Jones' cruelty to others who weren't Anita. Keith seemed to be a bit more of a pushover in the 1960s when it came to Brian, than Keith's drug-outlaw persona seemed in the 1970s and beyond.

Keith's book is OK, but I would have liked to have read more about the tours, the recording process and more details about Altamont, how Jagger wanted to throw Ron Wood out in 1981 and hire tour-opener George Thorogood as Wood's replacement, the filming of their concert films in 1969, 1978 and 1981, etc. I thought Keith spent way too many pages on his multiple cold turkey efforts and not enough on the actual music. Although he does a good job of describing his open-tuning technique. I like the book OK but at times was underwhelmed by it, something I didn't want to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 9:50:08 AM PST
Funny how a guy can look at cars on a freeway and write, "the snake, he is long" ~!~ or something like that, and then guys put music to it and people discuss it for 40 years.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 9:41:09 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
With no autopsy, Jimbo's death will always be a mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:20:57 AM PST
July 3

Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones is found dead of an apparent accidental drowning on this day in 1969. Two years later to the day, in 1971, Jim Morrison dies of heart failure in a Paris bathtub.

For all the highly publicized brushes with the law that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would have in the late 1960s, it was the original leader of the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones, who was the group's original bad boy-who lived, in the words of Pete Townshend, "on a higher planet of decadence than anyone I would ever meet." A gifted musician, Jones helped create the sound of countless classic Stones tracks with his work on guitar, sitar, marimba and other instruments that were then considered exotic for rock and roll. But he also helped create the stereotype of the wasted rock star with his prodigious drug habit and his declining ability to contribute to the Stones' recordings. "At first Brian was the most interesting Stone," John Lennon recalled in a 1970 interview, "[but] he was one of them guys that disintegrated in front of you."

Unable to show up for recording sessions due to his drug habit, and unable to play properly on the occasions that he did, Brian Jones was also refused an entry visa to the United States in the spring of 1969 due to his recent drug conviction, upsetting plans for a fall tour of the States. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards fired him on June 8, and a little more than three weeks later, the 27-year-old Jones was found dead at the bottom of the swimming pool at his home in Sussex. Rumors of foul play would persist for years among fans and conspiracy buffs, but the coroner's official ruling was "Death by misadventure," on July 3, 1969.

Two years later to the day, another 27-year-old rock star would die under uncertain circumstances: Jim Morrison. As the charismatic frontman of the iconic 1960s group The Doors, Jim Morrison created a template that charismatic frontmen are still emulating nearly half a century later. Young, good-looking and clad in skintight black leather pants, the Lizard King mesmerized a generation with his stage presence and his lyrics about funeral pyres and mystic heated wine. But the trippy mix of Nietzsche, Blake and Huxley that the young Dionysius peddled was usually filtered through heavy doses of bourbon and mescaline, or some other combination of alcohol and drugs.

While the precise circumstances of Morrison's death on July 3, 1971, are fuzzy enough to have fueled persistent rumors that he is still alive, what is known for certain is that he was found dead in the bathtub of the Paris apartment he was sharing with longtime girlfriend Pamela Courson. Because no evidence of foul play was found at the scene, and because Courson told French authorities that Morrison had not been using drugs, no autopsy was conducted, and "heart failure" was cited as the cause of death. In the years since his untimely death, Morrison's most prominent biographers, Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman, have asserted that Morrison suffered an accidental heroin overdose that night, basing their claim on Courson's allegation that he was in fact using drugs sometime before her own death by overdose in 1974 .

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:45:49 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Jones was something of a deadbeat, too, regarding support of his several illegitimate children.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:41:58 AM PST
I have not read Keith's book so I am finding all this quite fascinating (and to be honest a little sad too) No one really is the good guy here. Brian, Keith, Mick and Anita all acted like the selfish dysfunctional people they seem to have been. But youth, money, power, drugs, booze, jealousy, paranioa and all that other stuff were factors in the equation. But the saddest thing is that Brian died so young. Perhaps if he lived longer he could have gotten himslef together. It's all specualtion of course, but as they say like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play and Brian never got a chance to play beyond 27 or however old (young) he was. I will eventually read Keith's book though. Debauchry makes for fascinating reading! LOL.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:37:49 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Jones must have had an enormous capacity for pis//ng people off; he seems to have been selfish, immature, and a woman-beater. (He was also something of a musical wizard with all sorts of instruments.) Anita Pallenberg no doubt got fed up with him. (Pallenberg and Richards get along well together; they have two adult children together.)

Interestingly, Marianne Faithfull claims in her book that Jones came to her in a vision when she attempted suicide, and told her to "go back" or something. Faithfull's memory of the Sixties doesn't seem to be the most reliable, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 4:21:23 AM PST
RE: Richards' book implies that there wasn't much love lost between Jones and himself; he still seems sort of angry at the guy, many moons later.

I think those two had a lot of fun together in the early days, the club days when they lived in Edith Grove poor, cold, and practically starving together. But Brian had become increasingly difficult to deal with once the band had a little success and began to write their own activity that placed Mick, Keith, and Andrew at the center of the band's power axis and excluded Brian, who probably wasn't very good at it but didn't seem to want to try much either. Think of the Temptations' song about a woman, "I'm Losing You," and that was Brian's story with the band that was once his (sort of, or at least he felt that way). That was probably the beginning of his paranoia, and losing Anita to Keith and his drug busts exacerbated that.....1967 was not a good year for Brian. Throw in his undependability for recording sessions and also on tour and the reasons for possible resentment by the others begin to grow.

It's funny how Brian, Keith, and Mick all seemed to deal differently with drugs....Mick did them but never seemed to have an addictive personality with them (perhaps more with women, money, fame, ego, but not so much drugs), Keith did large amounts of them but handled them for the most part, and Brian seemed to really need them but not be able to handle them very well. Bad combination there.

Keith's fling with Anita on the drive to Morocco and the subsequent events in Morocco weren't so much Keith's stealing her as they were Anita basically breaking it off with Brian but not bothering to tell him about it before going with Keith. He had been hitting her and mistreating her for a while, behaving as a tyrant toward her, and she was ready to leave him. She just didn't bother to clean things up before moving on. Keith could have been more honorable, to be sure, but at that point he didn't much care. Brian had beaten Anita pretty badly shortly before he went to Joujouka with Brion Gysin and the band cleared out of the hotel. It wasn't the nicest thing to do, but at the time I think everyone felt that Brian had something like that coming to him. Brian probably had less clue than anyone else about what happened because he was so far out of touch with his own behavior.

I think Bill and Charlie shared something with Brian, and that was that they were also outside of the power axis so it made them closer to Brian in a way.....though they didn't actually hang out with him. It gave them something in common, though, and when Brian butted heads, it wasn't against those two because they weren't part of the axis. Charlie never said much but appeared sympathetic, but Bill has generally painted a fairly clear picture that was sympathetic to Brian. I think they had some shared resentment against Mick, Keith, and Andrew. Some of it is probably justified, but the band was never a unit where everyone had anything approaching equal input. George Harrison could probably identify with the feeling. (Though George did have more bones tossed his way.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Musical Diary 1061 36 seconds ago
Billboard history - Adele sells 3.48 million albums in one week 18 13 minutes ago
Artist Brandon James Is Looking To Take The World By Storm 0 22 minutes ago
Lyrics You Love 196 39 minutes ago
Why do most people dicount rap and hip hop as music? 6342 40 minutes ago
What is the Stones most "underrated" song? 96 51 minutes ago
Does anyone else think Bruce Springsteen is overrated? 100 56 minutes ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4832 1 hour ago
Browsing inflexibility 0 2 hours ago
What "collectible" vinyl albums do you own? 51 2 hours ago
Most annoying Christmas songs 23 2 hours ago
A Late 80's Album Matchup From Two Of The Most Prolific Artists Of The Decade - Madonna's "Like A Prayer" or Prince's "Lovesexy"? 36 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  389
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions