Customer Discussions > Music forum

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 12:47:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2013 12:51:38 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Lindsey is an amazing player and is quite the show in concert.
His production skills are like the 6th member of Fleetwood Mac and those records that FM released in the 1990's without Lindsey's skills suffer greatly from his not being in there. Dave Mason, was on the "Time" album and as Dave is great in his own solo world he was not a good fit with Fleetwood Mac.

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 12:41:47 PM PDT
Nice! I love all three of those songs. Love That Burns is a particular favorite. That slow blues is what Peter excelled at. Great singing and tasty playing. Future Games is a great song and record. Amazing how they kept adapting after each songwriter left and created a new sound. World Turning is such a cool song. Love that lick Lindsey repeats. Nice intense build. Really cool song. Lindsey is such a great guitar player, very unique, memorable and rockin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 12:09:41 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
From the Peter Green era:
Love That Burns

From the middle years:
Future Games

From the Buckingham/Nicks era:
World Turning

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 12:38:14 AM PDT
Thanks A. Strong,,, very well put! You really summarized it perfectly. Do you have a favorite song from each period?

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 11:36:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 11:36:46 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
There are three Fleetwood Mac's:
1. Peter Green's FM from 1967 thru his departure in 1970
2. The "Middle Years" of Danny/Bob Welch that began in 1971 and ended in late 1974 when Bob left.
3. The Buckingham/Nicks years of 1975 through today.

Each era of Fleetwood Mac has it's merits and the fan-base is different as well for these three editions of FM. Except for John McVie and Mick Fleetwood that remain the link from 1967 through to today these are really three different groups with three different music styles presented.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:23:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:23:39 PM PST
stevign says:
McDonalds' newest burgers:

1) The Fleetwood Mac - For the connoisseur with discriminating taste, a Peter Green era top sirloin burger with superior taste.

2) The Fleetwood Mac Cheese Burger - For the less (or no) discriminating taste, a post-Peter Green era ground beef & soy filler burger with lots of cheeeeez.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:40:37 PM PST
I saw Peter Green at Las Vegas a few years ago. Great band----great music.
I've been a F'Wood Mac fan for a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:39:41 PM PST
Music Luver says:
Tim do you like that set better than the original single disks? Is it a significant improvement, I like those albums very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:33:56 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:38:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:31:04 PM PST
Music Luver says:
They were good players but found their blues stiff and sterile. No soul. Green is technically good though.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:20:07 PM PST
Lou Presley says:
So I'll say it here: Why hasn't Warner Bros. released a properly remastered "Then Play On"?

The best mastered version I've heard is from the Original Album Series that includes the last five albums before the Lindsey/Stevie period, from "Then Play On" through "Mystery To Me". It is available on Amazon at a pretty good price. While it is not 'remastered', as such, it is taken from the best source available when it was manufactured.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:01:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 8:05:10 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:06:25 PM PST
Lou Presley says:
So I'll say it here: Why hasn't Warner Bros. released a properly remastered "Then Play On"?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:13:57 PM PST
i think then play on was peter green's best fleetwood mac album

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:39:57 PM PST
I first heard Fleetwood Mac after Santana's hit, "Black Magic Woman" came out. I heard that it had been written by Peter Green, so I looked into his band and became a fan. A few years later I bought most of their albums from the early years and eventually, when they released a boxset, I bought it and I now have every album with Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Christine Perfect and Bob Welch on CD. The band changed a lot through the years, but, since I have very eclectic taste in music, I consider every album worth listening to occasionally. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Peter's band, other times, Bob's band and I listen to Lindsey's band more often than I like to admit. Every version is great, and you can't say that about many bands that changed members on a regular basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:24:34 PM PST
peter green is one of the best guitarist i have ever heard as far as the blues go and man that is a long way

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:54:12 PM PST
A. Strong says:
Bob Welsh has said many times that he has played "Oh Well" more times on stage than Peter Green did and I've heard his version of that one and he tears into as good as Peter. Lindsey as a player is brilliant as well. Fleetwood & McVie know how to find a decent lead guiar player and Green is excellent but he is one of many in Fleetwood Mac.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:18:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 10:29:39 PM PST
Why should the drummer and the bass player (the two guys for whom the band is named) change the name of their band because a nutcase like Green bolted? I also disagree that Fleetwood Mac "died" when Green left. One of the hardest things to do in music is play GOOD pop. Lindsey Buckingham certainly does that, and has been doing so for nearly 40 years. In his way, he's just as vital as Green was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:26:49 PM PST
stevign says:
I agree, Fleetwood Mac died when Green left. What was left was another band altogether with a completely different style. They SHOULD have changed their name.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:21:49 AM PST
MC says:
I choose to look at Fleetwood Mac as three (at least) separate bands, completely different, all with something to say, but each with a distinct and unique palate and voice, all to enjoyed for their widely different music....

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:12:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 11:29:02 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Of the early Fleetwood Mac records I enjoyed English Rose and parts of Then Play On but, later albums with Bob Welch and some of the Buckingham/Nicks records have some great moments found on them as well. Every version of Fleetwood Mac has it's merits not just the Peter Green years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:24:49 PM PST
stevign says:
Other than knowing what will sell well among the masses, I've never seen "making Hits" as a sign of any real talent.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:12:29 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
You can almost see a parallel with a band like the Byrds & FM in terms of career.
Both bands have had to pick themselves up dust off after departures of key members.
& inevitably the sound & direction of both groups did change but continue to make hits.
That's a combination of luck, will & talent.
I still like the "Green" era best but a guy like Bob Welsh was truly under rated & kept them afloat (post Green) until they hit platinum status.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:50:06 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Certainly if blues are your thing"

I think it's safe to say while Peter was around Fleetwood Mac was "Blues-Rock", after he left they were "Pop-Rock". In my opinion that's a real step down.....as it would be for any band who were at the top of their game quality-wise. I don't blame Mac "too" much, he had to do what he had to do in order to save the group and keep food on the table.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:19:22 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Stevign, Certainly if blues are your thing the post- Peter/Jeremy years have little to offer. However, I think many of those albums are very good and Bare Trees is brilliant.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions