Customer Discussions > Music forum

HELP! Elvis.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 8:49:42 AM PDT
club 7 says:
Give me some suggestions of what to get first fromElvis Presley.
Personally i think his voice was best in the 50's but what is a good starting place?
i've seen the artist of the century collection and the king of rock n' roll set but i heard that the king of rock n' roll has some less than stellar material mixed in with great stuff.

Thank You

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:59:35 AM PDT
Here's a good one to start with:

The U.K Sun Sessions

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:15:07 AM PDT
You should consult Elvis Fan before making any decisions. EF is the pre-eminent Elvis Pressley expert and I never buy any Elvis material without consulting him first.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:22:56 AM PDT
club 7 says:
hopefully Elvis fan will comment here. i'm curious to hear opinions on the artist of the century collection.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:29:46 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Another sign of the apocalypse: people are actually sitting around waiting and hoping for ELVIS FAN to appear and grace us with his "wisdom". lol, I gotta get down to the grocery store and stock up on water and canned goods.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:53:02 AM PDT
I would suggest the CD called 50 World Wide Hits. It is a 2 CD set, usually priced economically. It's fairly obvious in what songs are contained but still reflects a pretty nice overview of Elvis's career. Of course I had vinyl long before this but this was the 1st Elvis CD I got to give me a quick and healthy dose of some of his best songs. Then I built from and around this set. By the way, I like Elvis and own several CD's by him but I am not what you would call an Elvis completists so you may take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:03:50 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I agree Elvis was at his best in the 50s. I would buy ELVIS GOLDEN RECORDS released in '58, containing his early hit singles. I'd also get his first 2 RCA albums, ELVIS PRESLEY and ELVIS. Both now have more tracks than the original releases.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:10:03 AM PDT
Hinch says:
EF would tell you to buy everything Elvis recorded, even if you have to sell your current collection to get the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:20:29 AM PDT
I agree with Stephen Delia that 50 Worldwide Hits is a great overview from 1956 - 1970.

However it begins with his 1956 signing to RCA and so doesn't include his Essential pre-1956 Sun Recordings.
So you'll also need "Sunrise" for those.

As for the Post 1970 recordings, I don't know of any economical set exclusively devoted to those, so you might have to go with the "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" box, which is probably overkill, but you might find it used on eBay for a reasonable price.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:56:47 AM PDT
Elvis' greatest contributions to the culture of high taste are undoubtedly SPINOUT, GIRL HAPPY, and DOUBLE TROUBLE. You can't go wrong with a cover swinger version of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 1:52:55 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I own the 'Walk A Mile....' set. Nice collection!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:44:30 PM PDT
I agree it's an Excellent Compilation of his 70s Recordings.

For myself, a comprehensive Elvis Collection would include the following:

Sunrise - The Sun Recordings
King Of Rock & Roll - 50s Masters Box Set
From Nashville to Memphis - 60s Box Set
Command Performances - Best of the 60s Soundtrack Recordings
Walk A Mile In My Shoes - 70s Box Set
Amazing Grace - Gospel Recordings
If Every Day Was Like Christmas - Christmas Recordings

plus the DVDs:

Elvis '68 Comeback
Aloha From Hawaii
That's The Way It Is

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:54:10 PM PDT
I would agree that 'Elvis Golden Records' are the best collection of his big RCA hits from the 50's. Then I would get his Sun sessions.
John

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:55:32 AM PDT
For Elvis in the 50s, I personally like the Loving You soundtrack. You can't go wrong with any of his output from that era. Check out the Golden Hits Vol. 1 & 2, his studio albums (Elvis Presley and Elvis), and, of course, the Sun Sessions.

With that said, I would also strongly recommend his late 60s - early 70s output. The NBC special is superb and the albums From Elvis in Memphis, Back in Memphis, and I'm 10,000 Years Old are five star all the way.

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:06:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:33:51 AM PDT
doodah man says:
club 7 says:
"hopefully Elvis fan will comment here. i'm curious to hear opinions on the artist of the century collection."

Oh, he has 'opinions' all right. But it may be like opening Pandora's box.

If he does show up, ask him about his Beatles collection....

I have the "Complete 50s Masters" 5 disc set, fairly comprehensive of the early days (but may be more than you want to $pend) as well as a bunch of "Greatest Hits" compilations.

The "Artist of the Century" box set would probably suit your needs, and I see Amazon offers it for $14.97. Can't beat that.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:37:12 AM PDT
You do indeed need a collection of his Sun recordings as others suggested as well. While many people sight this as Elvis's best period I don't think it is the place to START. I am not saying these are not classic and important recordings because they are. I just think if I wanted to introduce someone to Elvis I would start with some of the obvious biggies like Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, All Shook Up, ETC. THEN, after they devoured that I would suggest the Sun recordings. Of course one may make a sound argument they those Sun records came first and should be introduced first and that well may be correct. But I think that they may be appreciated even more by going backwards and starting with the classic RCA stuff. I actually tend to listen to the Sun stuff even more because I don't hear it nearly as often. Either way, these are great examples of early rock n roll!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:54:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 5:59:02 AM PDT
club 7 says:
doodah man: i haven't been paying attention to this elvis man so im' not familiar but i was looking for a more expansive collection than the 30 1#'s that would cover his whole career but something that would do a fine job of covering the sun and rca 50's years as those ultimately are my favorite from the king.
i've always been more of a Beatles fan but i'm starting to acquire a liking for elvis.
truly a great singer and certain moments truly define what rock n' roll singing is all about (jailhouse rock, one night etc...)
i ended up finding the artist of the century still in shrinkwrap for a dollar and i thought it's hard to believe so hopefully it will turn out to be that and not boxcar willie does elvis.
i am interested in getting from elvis in memphis as i heard it's amazing and also to get some of his other albums outside of compilations. what other albums are great top to bottom?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:44:45 AM PDT
doodah man,

Thanks for the morning chuckle...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:58:20 AM PDT
Stephen,
I agree with you. IMO, the best way to get into Elvis is the way that most of us did. Start with Heartbreak Hotel, and his 1950's RCA hits. Then go back to his original Sun records. Though Elvis made some good music later, I think his 50's music is by far his best.
John

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:03:38 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Get some "Fat Elvis" LIVE!!!
"Aloha From Hawaii" is a good one to start with.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:38:12 AM PDT
I already have this one. It is Elvis Fan's favorite! Aloha Viva!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 12:50:14 PM PST
Yeah that "Fat Elvis" LIVE!!! is the only way to go.
A tub of fried chicken dipped in chocolate and big E is heaven in a golfcart!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:37:31 PM PST
Hinch says:
How 'bout some fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:29:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 3:30:29 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Start at the beginning.
His first album.
Elvis Presley - Legacy Edition

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:50:02 PM PST
Hinch says:
I agree! Great album! How about this?

Original Album Classics
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions