Customer Discussions > Music forum

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 9:05:43 PM PDT
Peter Green is one of my favorites. So i've been working on a SO YOU'D LIKE TO LIST... on my profile on Amazon called- Get into Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Maybe any of you Amazon music addicts like me can give me some feedback. If you have the time click on my name and in my profile under guides is my Peter Green Fleetwood Mac list. Let me know what you think?

And feel free to say whatever you want about Greens Mac in general.

Thank You so much for any criticism you can offer. Something i left out or is wrong? ect...

Posted on May 31, 2011 10:25:15 PM PDT
MC says:
Anthony - Been a early Fleetwood Mac fan for decades; that was a very thorough and substantial list. Full of great info and references especially liked that you added the Mayall album, very well done, all I would add are the couple Splinter group albums that are out there. They are not bad.....

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 4:50:02 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
Anthony,
Well done! From your list I learned of The Early Years DVD. The only title I have that I didn't see on your list is "Live In London 1968" Whatever.You have excellent taste.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 11:36:29 AM PDT
Thanks MC and 7&7 is,

The Splinter stuff is great just because he is back and playing. That made me very happy his brief career is concise but his personal story a little sad. So i'm glad he was out playing again.

I'm not sure but i think maybe the "Live in London 1968" title is the same as "Live at the Marquee"? This, as i stated on my list is a little confusing. Through the years the same title being released in different forms.

Thanks !

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 7:04:41 PM PDT
7&7 IS,

You are right it is a separate release. Of course with several editions and covers. So-so reviews. I added it to my list. Thanks a lot for the input.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 7:55:36 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
(Oh, you're welcome.Thanks for letting me know of the DVD 'The Early Years.')

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 11:55:47 AM PDT
fleetwood mac with peter green is fleetwood mac. except for 'kiln house' the non-green stuff was fluff pop. bb king said that peter green was the only guitarist that 'scared him'.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 8:57:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 11:54:56 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2011 9:13:59 PM PDT
I would say that was "Live in Chicago.. 1968....with Otis Span..Willie Dixon...????????????????? Oh Yeah>:)

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 9:23:41 PM PDT
Splinter Group is good...But it's Nigel Watson that makes that group....Peter Green is good...was , once upon a time, probably the best bluesman out of England.
He couldn't handle the fame and he couldn't handle the drugs,,which burnt him up real bad...you can see it in the Spllinter Group..he's not the Peter Green we once knew.
In his years he could do Robert Johnson like no other...but he had with him in Early yrs..Danny Kerwin, Gerry Spenser, Mic Fleetwood..John McVie...Mic Fleetwood and John
McVie with the Master John Mayall for yrs, then the new Fleetwood Mac...The five guys was the Blues...Not NICKS....

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 10:20:34 AM PDT
dd

green suffers from schizophrenia. the medication has allowed him to perform with the splinter group, but is more like therapy than anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011 10:55:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 11:55:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:01:43 AM PDT
Very instructive and accurate posting here...hope the youngsters who think Stevie Nicks and her boyfriend invented Fleetwood Mac bother to read them...i hope Peter Green can be happy now and relax through his old age with the right therapy and a love for playing the blues still alive...Well done...well done indeed.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:06:15 AM PDT
buckingham's greatest contribution? playing and recording green's 'oh well' providing continuing royalties to mr green that with the help of mick fleetwood and other friends, will provide him with some degree of material comfort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011 11:25:31 AM PDT
Jevrick says:
er Mark, sure ok. Attempts at revisionism are all the rage these days, but I don't think Ol' Pete wants the money. Also, Mick Fleetwood don't take care of no one but Mick. Case in point: just look at what he did to Bob Welch. BTW, where is the Buckingham cover of "Oh Well" because I'd like to at least hear it, let alone buy it for Ol' Pete.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:35:51 AM PDT
They do it on the live album. I think all versions of Mac covered Green songs live. Just for continuity. Such an interesting history with so many leaders and changes. But still some feeling to the band seems to link the history. In the Welch period there was a guitarist playing a Les Paul who would solo and play licks in a heavy fashion that felt like a nod to Green.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:39:38 AM PDT
actually, mick always made sure where green was during his illness. if you have ever known someone with schizophrenia who is deep in the disease, there is not really much you can do with them, except to make sure they have shelter and are getting food. green, along with other sufferers, enjoy a lessening of severity that allows them to live a somewhat normal. if mick had taken him when he was psychotic, there would have to have been someone watching him 24/7 (i hate using that). and without locking him in a closet, it would have been very likely wandered off.

alas, a don't remember where i heard it, the radio i think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011 5:23:55 PM PDT
Ayinger says:
GOOD stuff here Mr. Fernandez!!! and great to see the shout-outs to Green & Co. backing up on the Otis Spann and Eddie Boyd albums.

To me, if one wants to scoop up the early Mac studio albums it's worth checking into the 6CD box set The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions....yeah, it has a TON of repeat versions of songs, false starts, studio chat, etc., but if you want the whole shebang up to THEN PLAY ON, here it is.

I also have that JUMPING AT SHADOWS collection and it too offers some alternate versions of Mac songs as well as the good handful of Pete backing the likes of Duster Bennett.

Although I don't own it due to already having the majority of the songs on other CDs/collections, Green's own 4CD box The Anthology seems to grab up a fair sample of work from Bluesbreakers, FM, to the solo and Splinter Group.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 10:37:03 PM PDT
D. Morrison says:
Peter's playing on John Mayall's album (I have a vinyl copy, can't find it on CD) "Thru the Years" is absolutely incredible. Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor, I love them both, play on this same record but it's Peter who is the outstanding guitarist here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011 11:33:57 PM PDT
davyboy says:
Peter Green's is the only Fleetwood Mac. Get the Boston Box. Jumping At Shadows, Only You, Like It This Way, Black Magic Woman. He had the touch, the voice and the feeling. Awesome band.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 9:15:09 AM PDT
T. Faircloth says:
was Bob Welch in the band at the same time as Peter Green?... my favorite of the early yrs is Mystery To Me---and a song "Hypnotized"...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 9:22:54 AM PDT
Ayinger says:
D.Morrison: quite a number of the THRU THE YEARS tracks are included on the reissued Hard Road (Exp) by Mayall. This is a *definite* buy for any blues lover, esp. if you're into Peter Green! Remastered and expanded to a 2CD set, it has over 20 (!) additional tracks that Pete cut while with The Bluesbreakers, who at that time had John McVie on bass and Aynsley Dunbar sitting behind the drum kit. A couple of the extra tracks have Mick Fleetwood taking over on drums (and we all know where THAT led....), while the last cut features BOTH Green and Mick Taylor on guitar ---- highly recommended!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 9:32:28 AM PDT
Ayinger says:
Green was gone by the time Welch stepped into the scene. I really like a lot of what he did while with the band, including MYSTERY TO ME. He brought the bridge that spans the band's change in sound from bluesy to a more 'Califoniacation' if you will that was sealed with Buckingham taking over. I think Welch's best (and most solid) effort with the group would have to be Bare Trees --- I also like this period of the band because Christine McVie is also showcased frequently both as a performer and a songwriter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011 9:38:02 AM PDT
T. Faircloth says:
oh yes, that is a good one too..love Sentimental Lady

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 11:53:17 AM PDT
Ayinger,

Thanks. I'll add the compilations to my list. I didn't know about the expanded Mayall stuff. I'll have to get it. Thanks.

There was a video on You Tube of the band right after Green left and Christine is right out of the band Chicken Shack. It's a mini movie and Christine is really rockin' on it. Her voice and perspective was there right away just a great musician.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions