Customer Discussions > Music forum

Revolver, Yesterday and Today, Beatles Again

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 86 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:45:50 PM PST
Hinch says:
Wow! I need to checkout some collectors. I also own the version with the photo of them in suits. I found it in a bargain bin in the 8Os. Its the only Beatles album I ever saw in a bargain bin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:06:42 PM PST
It was the most extensively faked/counterfeited/bootlegged album in the Beatles catalog.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:19:18 PM PST
Hinch says:
I never owned THE BEATLES STORY. I've considered buying it used from amazon. It would be a nice cd release but do we really need mono and stereo versions? Ditto HOLLYWOOD BOWL. THE BEATLES AGAIN was never a Capitol album, although some of the tracks were Cap. Releases. The idea for the Cap boxes was they were reissues of the original releases. The stereo vs mono mixes were different. I bought ROCK AND ROLL and the blue and white albums for the supposed different mixes, but weren't they different stereo mixes? Maybe a release of a collection of the various tracks with mixes that have never appeared on cd would be good. I like the idea of a mixture of tracks from RARITIES and THE BEATLES AGAIN for tracks with an obviously different mix that has never appeared on cd, but not as a Cap albums box, and I don't see a need for mono just for mono.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:22:25 PM PST
Hinch,

Here's an eBay page showing recent sales and unsold items.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sop=3&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=Beatles+Songs+Pictures+Stories&_ipg=200&rt=nc

As you can see, sales are all over the map ranging from $5.00 to $500.00!!

Obviously condition is a factor, (also mono vs. stereo) but there may be different pressings or something as well.

I really didn't quite understand such a wide disparity of price range until I just read Flintstone's post & he's right, I had forgotten, there are a lot of bootlegs out there which would account for the sales price disparity.

You might want to have an expert or two evaluate your copy for authenticity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:24:54 PM PST
Hinch says:
I think I remember reading that. I was pretty sure it wasn't an original release. I don't know the signifcance but one track gives McCartney/Lennon as writer credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:37:24 PM PST
Hinch says:
Thanks! I have a few items I need to check for value. I have 2 photo magazines/books I got for Christmas '64. Me is 'The Beatles Visit New York' (not sure of the title)with photos made on N.Y. streets and Central Park, and the other is 'A Hard Day's Night'. Both are of heavy paper and in perfect condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:06:06 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
I would like A Hard Days Night - United Artist version
Yesterday and Today
The Beatles Again
Live at he Hollywood Bowl

The first 3 albums have unique mixes. US Revolver you can make yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:35:55 PM PST
Well the one thing I wish they had done with the remasters was issue both released mono mixes of Tomorrow Never Knows, especially since I think RM11 is superior to RM8.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:21:46 PM PST
DKPete says:
I remember you talking about that pretty extensively a couple of years back; like I've said many times..the best, most complete and interesting re-issues would be the ones compiles by the knowledgeable fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:26:21 PM PST
DKPete says:
Along with whatever else 'they've" put out, we still don't have any decent sounding, complete live shows that represent what The Beatles sounded like in those scream filled days. That said, they should really put out the two complete shows from which the HB album was created. They would serve as a very good document of what Beatlemania sounded like from the perspective of a couple of good sounding-as well as performed-shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:37:36 PM PST
DKPete,

I agree. I have a 2 Disc Bootleg called "The Complete Hollywood Bowl Concerts" including one 1964 show and 2 1965 shows which is excellent.

It may be on You Tube somewhere.

Also, Shea Stadium would be a great Official Release. (Also available on Bootleg)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:49:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 2:03:50 AM PST
Hinch says:
I own Shea Stadium and the Washington D.C. concert on vhs. I believe Goodtimes video put them out. There must be good quality film of both. I also have a dvd which includes the color Japanese concert film. I just dowloaded a couple of live concert performances from Youtube. With all the concert and live tv performances out there, they could put together a great official live dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:43:59 PM PST
I wonder how many copies the Capitol albums would sell outside North America? Enough to please Capitol?
How many people would be interested in purchasing them, assuming most of the world got the UK LPs?
I do acknowledge North America itself is a pretty big market.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:30:48 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Well... You've got an aging baby-boomer generation that grew up on a steady diet of Motown and British Invasion. How many of us spent hour after hour gazing at the Revolver or Beatles Again cover while the stylus navigated the increasingly eroded grooves of the plastic waffle? The Kinks, Stones, and Who catalogs have undergone facelifts over the years. I'd really love these Beatles albums along with the Great Lost Kinks Album and a remastered Magic Bus. I realize the artists' babies were often "butchered" on the way to the U.S. market, but to young American kids these albums were revelations. I grew up in a small midwest town. There weren't any cool record stores selling imports that I could get to at the time. I got my records at the five and dime. So... I think the market would be substantial.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:32:33 AM PST
DKPete says:
Cyberian, It's very hard to imagine The powers that be not putting out a nicely remastered DVD version of Shea at some point before the world comes to an end. I'm sure when they do finally get to it, it should come out looking pretty damn good; you can see parts of it restored on Anthology which looked excellent..and that was over 15 years ago..it's going to make for a beautiful bluray release on our 100th birthdays. What's even more interesting is how they're going to handle the sound quality aspect given the continuous high level screaming..and on the same subject, I wonder if they'll give us the entire concert or just The Beatles' portion??

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:18:55 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
About a year ago, I scored a MONO cd version of the United Artists Hard Day's Night Soundtrack at my usual used music shop in the Twin Cities.. It's likely a bootleg, however, if indeed it is, it's VERY well done. The disc and booklet are pristine and looks professionally mfg. The disc even accurately activates my cd player's text. There is no UPC anywhere. It's cool to get the orchestra music from the film. The sound is so-so for cd, yet MUCH improved over my vinyl. Release number is ual 3366.

I'm all for faithfully reworking and re-issuing every Capitol US Beatle release in their initial form, on cd, MONO and Stereo on the same disc.

All the best,
GT

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:47:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:48:09 AM PST
DKPete,

Since the world is due to come to an end in about 19 days, they'd better get on it!

You're absolutely right, though. Shea was such an important milestone it should be already be out there.
I have a decent bootleg DVD but nothing like what was on Anthology. (I can't believe, as you say, that it's been 15 years since Anthology was released! Time is really accelerating!)

"The powers that be" are moving at such a glacial pace that, by the time they get these things out, their primary market will be dead. You'd think the bean counters would figure this out and fast-track everything!

And we STILL don't have LET IT BE on official DVD!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:10:27 AM PST
Severin says:
I agree. In 2009 when the Beatles CD's were re-issued Paul was asked why they weren't re-mixed. His answer was, "Oh there's time for that later."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:23:06 AM PST
DKPete says:
Tom, curious...what's the label on the disc itself? Can it possibly be a Japanese copy? There are many albums which never, or have yet to, see the light of day but were put out in Japan with very faithful reproduction of the original LP..one such is The Beatles Again/Hey Jude album which I have...like yours, not the best CD quality (given the superior quality of the current remasters) but a beautifully made repro of the cover with even an Apple label on the disc.

Yours may also be a Russian boot. I have one of those of Ram in a mini-LP style cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:29:18 AM PST
DKPete says:
Cyberian, if you take notice, parts of Anthology look a lot better than others where it concerns the older footage (including Shea). This is beacause these portions were restored by a specific individual who was delegated to do them. I'm drawing a blank on his name but it's the same fellow who's behind the beautiful remastering of the new Magical Mystery Tour DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:35:39 AM PST
DKPete says:
...and the world better go beyond the 19 days; I'm still waiting on my replacement albums for that Beatles vinyl box set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:43:29 AM PST
Hinch says:
McCartney did a good job on the 90s releases of his albums on cd. I bought quite a few and, at the time, I said they were the best sounding cds I had ever heard. I believe he was involved in the transfer to cd.

That's why I'm not so interested n his latest remasters. How many times does something need to be remastered? Same with The Kinks. The 90s remasters are good enough, imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:53:46 AM PST
Hinch,

If you're referring to the UK "McCartney Collection" remasters, I always thought they sounded fine too.
But I was always reading widespread complaints about (I think) Peter Mews' "overuse" of noise reduction on those.

Personally, I never "heard" what they were complaining about, but I'm certainly no audiophile with high-end equipment.

It does appear that, unlike those remasters, the new ones seem to be receiving unanimous praise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:00:20 AM PST
Hinch says:
Yes, those are the ones.

Of the new remasters I've only bought BAND ON THE RUN so far. The only problem I have is the "bonus" tracks could have been chosen better.

I don't own MCCARTNEY on cd, so I may buy that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:05:14 AM PST
DKPete says:
Hinch/Cyberian..the only one of the current remasters which sounds pretty much unchanged from its' predecessor is BOTR. If you have the 25th anniversary edition, there's no need-to my ears-for the latest remaster.

Ram and McCartney are a different story. The former, in partricular, is a beautiful improvement over the Holland remaster from the nineties.

A lot of this just depends on what's "good enough" to the individual. The original eighties issues of these CD's was pretty lousy. But if you've got the Holland ones and you're not fanatical abouit every single high. low and inbetween, they are quite good enough.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions