Customer Discussions > Music forum

(Not one hit wonders, but) Albums with One Song that became so popular that it overshadowed the rest of the album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 81 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 7, 2012 7:41:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 7:44:04 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Let It Be - Let It Be...my fav fab four record...lots of great odd Beatle tunes...and I love the tune Let It Be but there is so much more!

Farewell to Kings - Closer to the Heart...worst tune on the record...my fav Rush record along w/Hemispheres!

News of the World - Rock You/Champions...gimme Sleeping on the Sidewalk any day!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:09:59 AM PST
EvenSteven says:
"Time of The Season" from Odessy & Oracle - Zombies
This single was plucked in the US 2 years after the LP's release in the UK.
The Zombies had already called it a day & Rod Argent was trying his fortunes with "Argent" which fared better in the states than did the Zombies. This magnificent & essential LP was rescued from the dust bin by non other than Al Kooper who was involved in production & A&R for Columbia (I think) & this LP just blew his mind & he took it back to the states & got it to the right dj's & gave the Zombies a well deserved but "posthumous" hit.....too late though. Time of the Season did more to help Argent at the time.
RIP Zombies.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:10:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 8:11:39 AM PST
Psychedelic Furs - 'Talk Talk Talk'. The song "Pretty in Pink" was redone in a watered- down version for the movie with Molly Ringwald, however, the original version and indeed the album, are superior.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:24:30 AM PST
vivazappa says:
EvenSteven:
For that matter...Argent's In Deep is overshadowed by Hold Your Head Up...

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:52:13 AM PST
Miriam says:
Billy Joel - Piano Man (the title song)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:04:39 AM PST
metallica with enter sandman.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:06:36 AM PST
M Larocque says:
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells. Overshadowed by "Tubular Bells"
Jethro Tull: Thick As a Brick. Overshadowed by "Thick as a Brick"

On a serious note, I would say Led Zep's IV was overshadowed (and overplayed) by Stairway To Heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 11:12:27 AM PST
i couldn't agree more, as awesome as stairway is. here's another:
holy diver-dio the title track is the only dio song many "fans" actually know.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 9:20:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 9:22:13 AM PST
The Who Sing My Generation" hit US shores in 1966 and the production and power of the title track wasn't matched by the other tracks on the album that the band had been recording over a long span of months before the success of: "My Generation" put them into the major leagues as recording artists. If The Who had only recorded: "My Generation" and nothing else they would have made their mark. In the sixties more money and production was reserved for the singles than it was the album tracks that were often known as 'filler' by the suits at the record companies. The LP (overall) is a solid four but "My Generation" by itself is an 11.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 11:52:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 11:53:27 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
The big song from Surfa Rosa was 'Gigantic' !

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 12:14:12 PM PST
@JJMMWGDuPree "Do albums that were turkeys except for one track count?"

If it doesn't exist, create a new thread: Albums you were suckered into buying on the strength of one track

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 5:30:56 AM PST
Miriam says:
Piano Man qualifies for that too.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:08:06 AM PST
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY Lp, Columbia. "White Bird"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 6:28:09 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
S.C.,

Nice one with Alice Cooper's "Love It To Death".

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:31:09 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
The Runaways - Cherry Bomb

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:38:46 AM PST
Some really excellent choices here. I was actually thinking of The Zombies Time Of The Season as well as Oddesy And Oracle is a great album. But since that was already used I think I will go qith Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Da Vida. The other songs are pretty good too.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 6:46:20 AM PST
I agree with Get The Knack and My Sharona. This was a solid album from beginning to end - a festival of upbeat pop songs. Thirty years later, the only thing anyone remembers is My Sharona. I know that Good Girls Don't was also a minor hit, but it's been forgotten in the sands of time. Get The Knack is still a great listening experience. Get it out, dust it off and try it one more time.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:31:55 AM PST
Couldn't agree more with both the Knack and the Zombies.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 9:09:24 AM PST
B-Jak says:
Ambrosia's brilliant debut album was totally obscured by the popularity of it's hit single "Holdin' On to Yesterday". What inspired them to put out the subsequent fluff they released after is anyone's guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 9:47:28 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Keen Observer,

I did create a thread a whille back called something like "Albums you bought for one song...and didn't get more than you expected".

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:05:55 AM PST
Fischman says:
Blue Oyster Cult -- Don't Fear the Reaper from Agents of Fortune
Blue Oyster Cult -- Burnin' for You from Fire of Unknown Origin
Head East -- Never Been Any Reason from Flat as a Pancake
Mason Williams -- Classical Gas from The Mason Williams Phonograph Record
Rainbow -- Man on the Silver Mountain from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
The Kinks -- Destroyer from Give the People What they Want
Aldo Nova -- Fantasy from Aldo Nova
Sass Jordan -- High Road Easy from Rats

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:13:43 AM PST
New Clear Days - The Vapors.

I really think so think so think so...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:21:52 AM PST
gusula says:
What about "Stairway To Heaven" from Led Zeppelin 4 -- perhaps the most effective album anchor of all time?

The OP's question is a whole lot more complex than it might seem at first. I can think of a ton of albums that had just one hit -- but was that because there was only one song on the album that was worth a darn, or because that one hit was so huge that it effectively "overshadowed" the rest of the songs on the album?

It seems to me that the problem with some albums is that the big hit opened the artist up to an audience that simply wasn't interested in the rest of the songs on the album. Joan Osborne is a great example: "What If God Was One of Us" was a huge hit way back when, but the rest of the songs on that album sounded very different from the hit -- not bad necessarily (there's actually some pretty good blues-inspired stuff on the disc), just different enough that those who jumped on the "What If God" bandwagon couldn't find anything else on the disc that was similar enough to get excited about.

I'd argue that Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms suffered from the same thing. There are other songs on the album that were modest hits, but they were nowhere near as popular as "Money For Nothing," which stands out like a sore thumb on that album. Talk about radio friendly!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:36:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 2:31:45 PM PST
Fischman says:
Although Stairway may be the beggest rock anthem of all time, I think the rest of the album was strong enough (especially Black Dog, Rock and Roll, and Misty Mountain Hop) to prevent much overshadowing. By IV, folks were used to, and expected multiple strong cuts from each album.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:13:56 PM PST
I can't agree with Zep IV when that entire album has been played to death by radio. If you can argue that Stairway was the hit, one can also say that Free Bird from Skynyrd's first album provided the same anchor. This is not my opinion, as both albums have several very popular tracks.

However, what about Second Helping? Everybody knows Sweet Home Alabama and Call Me The Breeze has become a radio staple but it's not close to being as popular as Alabama.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions