Customer Discussions > Music forum

Are White People Reluctant to Criticize Rap Because They're Afraid of Being Called "Racist" ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 450 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:22:02 PM PST
Hinch says:
Good one!

I'm not a fan of opera either, and some metal irritates me almost as much as rap.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:25:34 PM PST
Hinch says:
There are also blacks who hate rap. I worked with a guy about my age(62) who didn't allow his grown son to play rap in his car. He told me one day he got in his car and his son had left a cd in his car and he threw it away. He told his son, "I told you I didn't want that garbage in my car".

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:13:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 10:13:51 PM PST
@Hinch: work is at least a situation where you can legitimately say that the music is a distraction to the work you are doing, thus somewhat mitigating any counter-assertion that you are being "racist".

"I do admit, I wouldn't go on the street and insult music people I don't know are listening to, black or white."

Of course not, it's generally not polite to do so. But on a bus where the person next to you is blasting something, I still maintain that it's a lot easier for white people (maybe not you) to ask someone to turn down their music than it is someone blasting rap/hip-hop. Even asking very politely and not mentioning that you hate the music, is easier with almost any other race or genre of music. I believe there are complicated reasons for this, but this has been my observation nonetheless.

And yes, there are many blacks who dislike rap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:17:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 10:32:50 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Topper,

You're giving us this "everyone is a tough guy behind the computer" stuff when it comes to criticizing music? But you're so intimated by blacks that you try and tell us how different *that* particular criticism of music would be in person. And then project *your* fear onto us like we're all supposed to feel like you. LOL......that's priceless.

I've told blacks and others who listen to rap that I can't stand that music. I can remember numerous times I said to someone in person or in a car next to me (at a stoplight)...you call that music? And got a couple F you's and hilariously remember one guy shrugging his shoulders, smiling and saying...hey man, that's all we got.

Point is if you don't talk down to the person and just express your feelings about music, why you don't like it, it doesn't have to turn into a black and white thing, an antagonistic thing. It's a music thing.

The debates here got personal yes but like I said in the end there was some mutual respect between many rappers who came over from their forums and the people here who didn't like the music. After months and months of some very well thought out posts, debates, etc. expressing all sides, there ended up being plenty of understanding. You had to be there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:41:37 PM PST
Hinch says:
Alex

Yes. Sometimes it's not what someone says, it's how they say it and the attitude they present.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:43:11 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Not being brave like you, Alex, I admit that I would be more hesitant to ask a black person to turn down music. And I don't think it's because I'm a racist (at least I hope not). First, being a generally polite person, I would hesitate to tell anyone to turn down music and would probably tolerate music I didn't like at a higher volume than I would enjoy just to avoid any possible conflict regardless of the offender's characteristics. But it would be easier for me to ask a white person to turn it down. Being white, I realize there is more "social distance" between myself and black individuals and I would think they may misinterpret my objection as something personal (based on race) when it's not. Also, statistically, one is more likely to encounter violence at the hands of black Americans. This is not a racist statement, only a statistical one. So for reasons of personal safety, I would be less likely to confront a black person. I realize this stereotypes African Americans by reacting to a category (race) rather than recognizing the dignity of the individual; however, the probability of violence (or at least an unpleasant verbal exchange) outstrips any marginal utility I could gain by having a quieter environment, at least in the short run. I guess I'm a p*ssy, but I wouldn't put up with it all night, for instance.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:54:07 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Dr Mikey

I'm not even talking about asking someone to "turn it down". I don't know how many times people have been in that situation, where the music is so loud you want to break the stereo in a million pieces. The times it has happened to me it didn't matter what kind of music it was. If it was too loud and really disturbing me (I'm thinking of apartment living) then I can't tell you how many times I've walked over to that persons place, knocked on the door and told them ...you gotta turn that down. Even if I liked the music....lol. If you can hear someones music from the other side of the building, let alone right next to you, then those people have no consideration for others. And that's a personal pet peeve of mine.

At the same time you'd have to be a little whacked if you're going to seek out confrontations with everyone who's playing music you don't like. LOL...it would be like yelling at people because their muffler is too loud ;) Just life in the city ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 10:56:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 12:18:18 AM PST
Hinch says:
Michael

You are correct. The workplace isn't comparable to the street.

We have satellite radio at work and a nice speaker system throughout the building. The music per se isn't a distraction. It's just certain music. The station changes every 30 minutes so we get a variety. I can tolerate almost anything for 30 minutes.

Most of the problem was when people were allowed to have their own radios, and then they were playing stuff that was annoying. Most music on satellite is tolerable.

As far as "on the street", your point about politeness is also correct.

Besides, I don't usually criticize anyone for the music they listen to on their own time. Loud music may be annoying, but I would never say anything anyway, not out of fear of being called a racist. It's just not worth bothering with.

The only time I ever reported loud music was when I lived in an apartment and the people below me were playing music so loud, it sounded like it was coming from inside my apartment. lol!

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:11:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
I think when I first read the OP, and posted a comment, I was thinking in terms of criticizing music on these threads. Looks like we kinda strayed from that.

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:34:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 11:39:49 PM PST
@AlexMontrose: "But you're so intimated by blacks that you try and tell us how different *that* particular criticism of music would be in person. And then project *your* fear onto us like we're all supposed to feel like you. LOL......that's priceless."

I've grown to truly appreciate your constant psychoanalysis of my inner state of mind. It's not just amusing, it's...breathtaking in its own way.

"Point is if you don't talk down to the person and just express your feelings about music, why you don't like it, it doesn't have to turn into a black and white thing, an antagonistic thing. It's a music thing."

Even more clueless. I don't even know where to begin with this one. Your complete non-understanding of the complexities of race in America astounds me! Replying to this incredibly naive comment would take more paragraphs then even little 'ol longwinded me can muster.

"The debates here got personal yes but like I said in the end there was some mutual respect between many rappers who came over from their forums..."

This is my FAVORITE part. The part where you essentially say "I'm not racist, I have lots of black friends!".

Poor Alex. I almost don't want you to get a clue because when you do, the reality of the world, and facing your former ignorance, will just be too overwhelming for you. Stay ignorant, my friend. It's surely bliss.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:38:32 PM PST
@AlexMontrose: Dr.Mikey just explained it all for you better than I could (although I could add a couple of things to it), but you (as usual) completely missed his point. If you didn't actually get the gist of what he was trying to say there, you will never get it. Ever. So I'm certainly not going to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:56:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 12:39:07 AM PST
Dr. Mikey,

Re: "...statistically, one is more likely to encounter violence at the hands of black Americans."

While I'm not informed enough to know whether this is statistically true or not, one observation that I HAVE noticed for years, which continues to hold true as recently as last week, is that our nation's most notorious killers, from Charles Starkweather to the recent Newtown, Connecticut and Webster NY killers, including the Onion Field killers, the "In Cold Blood" killers, Charles Manson family, John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, The Boston Strangler, Son of Sam, Dillinger, Capone, Bonnie & Clyde, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson, Jesse James, Unibomber, Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer), Menendez brothers, Leopold & Loeb, Jim Jones, the Austin Clock Tower shooter, the San Diego McDonalds killer, the Gainesville Florida beheader, Jeffrey Dahmer, the Columbine killers, the Tucson, Arizona Gabrielle Giffords shooter, the Milwaukee Sikh Temple killer, the Aurora, Colorado movie theater killer....ALL of them White! (Also, best evidence suggests that the "Black Dahlia" killer, the Zodiac killer and even London's Jack The Ripper were most likely also white.)

In fact, the ONLY comparable Black Mass/Serial killers I can think of are the 2 DC area snipers!

I'm not sure why this is or what it all means.
Just an observation.

Added edit: Oh. I just remembered. The convicted Atlanta child killer was also black, although I seem to recall some question as to whether they actually got the right killer or not.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:05:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 12:06:17 AM PST
@Cyberian Husky: this has been studied. There are socio-cultural-economic factors at work which are producing the kinds of white-boy mass-killers we've been seeing, just as there's a different set of socio-cultural-economic factors at work which explain why there are generally much higher rates of violence and crime in black neighborhoods. I think most of us here are intelligent enough to guess what those factors might be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:12:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 12:18:42 AM PST
Michael,

Yes, I understand the Inner City Crime/violence factors. But I've never heard a socio-economic explanation for all of the white killers I've mentioned (other than the obvious "mobster" ones).

If you can point me to such studies, I'd be interested in reading them.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:15:43 AM PST
Hinch says:
Most crime by blacks is black on black.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:17:14 AM PST
@Cyberian Husky: the profile of the vast majority of these killers has been that of the angry, depressed loner (and *not* the sadistic psychopath, as is often assumed). There are factors in white suburban culture as it has developed in the past two or three decades, that produce more of that kind of individual psyche than you will see in white urban culture, or in that of other races. It's a disturbing new trend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:18:27 AM PST
@Hinch: "Most crime by blacks is black on black."

Another depressing truth. But that does not erase white paranoia (which is also depressing).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:21:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 10:38:00 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Don't bother adding anything Topper. It's obvious to anyone reading that you're a pu**y. But what else is new?

Dr. Mikey did explain things the way he sees it. And I completely understand what he said and replied. I'm sure he took that under consideration and will respond if he wants. You on the other hand are a scared, hopeless knucklehead who can't comprehend the essence of any of this. Who's talking about complexities of race? Are you gonna lecture us that Blacks and Whites uhhhhh sometimes have a different perspective on cultural things? Nooo. Really? Are you gonna inform us that there might be a misunderstanding if a white person told a black person they didn't like their music? No? That could neeeeever happen. Yes Dr. Mikey explained it better than you ever could because he's not a pompous blowhard. That's how he feels and that certainly *is* a reality. But there are other realities depending on your approach.

Who's talking about having the nerve to tell a black person to turn down his music? You are. Because that's how you see it. Being the frightened little wimp you are. *I* was talking about being in a situation where you're talking music with someone, even if it was on a bus and said you didn't like that music. I know you can't begin to imagine that scenario because again you'd be too afraid to talk...period. Why does it have to be some angry exchange where you tell someone to turn that crap down ! ? If they were playing some hardcore gangsta rap in a bus that I was unfortunately in, I might say ...hey you got any Deep Purple in there? (with a smirk on my face). Chances are about 99.9% he wouldn't know who or what the hell I was talking about, which would make me laugh. After that, me and that person could and would joke around, etc. But being scared sheetless, I don't expect you to "see" this scenario, to see outside your little box and knew you wouldn't get it or have the social skills, personality to go there. Being the person *you* are, you would probably get your as* kicked if you even attempted this. Just like you get your as* kicked around here.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:29:12 AM PST
@AlexMontrose: congratulations, Amazon didn't delete your post! You must have been extra-careful, seeing as how they just deleted the one on the LZ thread. I didn't even bother to read this one past the first few sentences. You *are* the classic example of using a "tough-guy" mask under the protection of internet anonymity. You can say all you want about all your black friends (which can never be proven one way or the other and you know it) and still not realize how incredibly ignorant you sound. Except that Amazon won't have it. I wonder how many of your posts have been deleted by them, or hidden by no-votes over the years. It has to be an astronomical number, by now. And yet you plug away, blaming "censors" and "haters" and everyone else, but yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 12:50:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 10:01:55 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Of course you didn't read it (but ofcourse you did). The truth hurts and when your full time job is to show how clueless you are about people and getting along with them I can understand why none of this makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if a sheet like you has never been in a fight. I can just see you running away whether it was a black, white or someone half your size. A clown like you making comments about "hiding behind the computer" ? LOL...you are the poster child for that. And not because others don't do it. But because you would be hiding under *any* circumstance. That's just who you are. While the rest of us discuss the possibilities that it doesn't have to be an angry exchange, you try to tell everyone here...the nerve of them thinking they could actually talk to a black person about music. It would *have* to turn into a fight. And you talk about sounding ignorant?

You literally are too clueless to engage in conversation with people. People are your enemy. You prove it every day with your endless ignorance of the grey areas of life and now with your incredibly dumb inability to grasp that there could be other scenarios here besides getting into a argument with someone just because their black and your white. Dumb as a box of rocks.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:05:01 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:00:41 AM PST
Eric Jacob says:
The great Bo Diddley hated rap .

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:52:58 AM PST
Music Luver says:
I talked to a mature educated black woman who told me she hated "that rap stuff". Anyone regardless of ethnic background, if they have any intelligence at all will tell you rap is worthless.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:59:45 AM PST
A customer says:
"Try getting on a bus here in LA where the black person next to you is blasting hip-hop, and ask him to turn it down because 'rap is crap'. See what happens."

I love this stereotype that no white man could EVER take a black man in a fight.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:59:45 AM PST
Besides, you can't beat someone up just because they think your music "is crap" anyway, . .. unless you want to go to jail or owe them all your money for the rest of your life!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  450
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions