Customer Discussions > Music forum

Revolver, Yesterday and Today, Beatles Again

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 86 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:49:08 AM PST
IMHO,

The 2009 Beatles remasters are worth every penny that I paid for all of them. Paul's bass and Ringo's drums have never been heard by my ears, the way that I can hear them now. I never had the original Beatles anything. The first cds that I bought were the 90 something cd remasters. To me, there is no comparison. The 2009 remasters sound better than any of the others. I also have a remastered Ram and the new remastered Ram. Again, no comparison. The new remaster sounds like a completely new recording. I am an audiophile so maybe I hear things that others don't. I also have both McCartney's 1 & 2 as well as Band On The Run. I can hear a significant improvement in every one...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:01:01 PM PST
Daniel,

As an audiophile, were you one of the ones who disliked the 90s "McCartney Collection" Cds for Peter Mews' use of Noise Reduction as I mentioned earlier?

I'm just curious about the details on that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:21:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 12:23:05 PM PST
I will use Ram as an example. The noise reduction on the Mews remaster became detectable to me, when I could compare the cds through my computer system. I don't believe that you need high end equipment to tell the difference. I do have a nice Bose powered sound system for my computer but I believe that you could hear it on any system. The new remaster is sharp and clear. You can hear even the smallest nuance much better than before. I would bet that you will hear things that you have never heard before. I can't talk in technical mumbo jumbo but I have great ears and I am just telling you what it sounds like to me... If you have both copies then take them both to your player at the same time. Play each one for 30 seconds, you will hear the difference...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 12:52:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 12:54:56 PM PST
DKPete says:
Daniel, what makes the current issue of Ram as good as it is is that, while it's significantly brighter, there is more of a "tight punch" to the low end which was all but missing on the original album and subsequent CD's (including the Holland remaster).

Also, very important, many of the cluttered/"dirty" spots have been effectively "cleaned up"...most specifically the last minute of Smile Away and all of Back Seat Of My Car which i always thought was a sonic mess.

Best of all, this was achieved without any significantly increased level of tape hiss-unlike the disappointing Abbey Road remaster of '09.

What are your thoughts on the mono mix of Ram (if you've heard it)..and have you given a listen (or have an interest in) the new Beatles vinyls? From the standpoint of one who considers themselves an audiophile, I'm very curious as what you think of them as pressings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:00:47 PM PST
DK Pete ~

I just ordered the deluxe version of "Ram" (four discs on this edition) as one of the Black Friday specials here at the company store and It hasn't arrived through the mail yet but as I never had this one as an LP back in the Dark Ages (40 years ago) I'm glad you all agree that this new mix sounds pretty good and I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:07:19 PM PST
Hinch says:
I own both MCCARTNEY and RAM on vinyl. I've been planning on buying both on cd..

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:13:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 1:15:20 PM PST
Hinch ~

I had the McCartney record on vinyl as I bought it at a flea market when it first came out back in 1970 and I enjoyed that one but I haven't upgraded to CD that first McCartney record but I will soon. Paul, is pretty good and I like a bunch of his solo records. "Give My Regards To Broadstreet" is one of my favorites and I know the movie isn't very good but the record is very, very strong on it's own merits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:22:00 PM PST
Pete,

From what I have learned about you, I am sure that you know that neither a digital cd recording or a vinyl pressing will promise a higher fidelity than the other. The great or poor sound of a recording comes directly from the production qualities that were used during recording. Both formats will reproduce the same quality. I have no more interest in turntables or vinyl. The lps are just too cumbersome to store and play. High quality diamond styluses are expensive to replace and with each spin of the vinyl, you have a certain amount of lost fidelity. I have never heard the mono remix of Ram but I have several Kinks deluxe issues that come with a remastered stereo and mono version. Sometimes I like the mono better and sometimes the stereo. I am split down the middle on that but you can trace the quality right back to the original production.
If you look at the reviews for the new Beatles vinyl box set, I think that you will see a lot of negative comments and just as many positive. It appears to be a push to me...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:35:21 PM PST
Hinch says:
PHILIP

I like Broadstreet too. The movie was ok. Not really so bad(no pun intended) but I do like the soundtrack a lot.

"So Bad"

http://youtu.be/P4ys4auEDfY

(one of my favorite Ringo video appearances)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:42:16 PM PST
Hinch ~

Thank you for the video link as Ringo is pretty cool in that one!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:48:17 PM PST
Hinch says:
Ringo is almost always cool. lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:44:27 PM PST
DKPete says:
Philip, I got it when it first came out...very nice package as these deluxe things go..but just to be straight, as they say...it's not a new mix-only a remaster-but a very good one.

Part of the set is the Thrillington instrumental version of the entire album. You may have read my comments on it a while back. In expexting, basically, nothing, I ended up enjoying it immensely. What intrigued me the most about these instrumental versions, is how cinematic McCartney's music is when you take away the vocal melodies.

The other highlight is the mono mix CD of the album. While not as blatantly different from the stereo version (like with some of those Beatle albums), it still is a unique mix (as opposed to a stereo fold-down) and, in my opinion, is more powerful and full-sounding than the stereo version. The differences in terms of the actual mixes (stereo/mono) come through depending as to how familiar you are with the original stereo album. But they are definitely there. In case you didn't know, this mono mix was made specificaly by Paul for AM radio airplay at the time.

As is par for the course with McCartney, the bonus material disc leaves you wanting more...alternate takes, mixes...but it is what it is....and for what it's worth, Another Day and Woman Oh Why sound incredible here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:52:48 PM PST
DKPete says:
Daniel, I agree 100% on the CD vs. vinyl fidelity issue. This is why I get a laugh out of people who insist on building a definitive case of defense in absolute favor of one or the other.

As far as The Beatles vinyls, the majority of the "negatives" have been on the quality issues of the vinyl pressings themselves as opposed to the way the actual music sounds (although what many people seem to choose to ignore, is that the vinyl pressing flaws will ultimately affect the sound of the music even if they seem to "disappear" once the music starts).

At any rate, thanks for the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:53:36 PM PST
DKPete says:
Hinch, yes he is!! And without trying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:13:32 PM PST
Daniel,

As someone who grew up for years listening to AM on a Transistor Radio, my Audiophile Bar is set pretty low.

Obviously I've appreciated the sonic advances in stereo equipment in the 70s and in the CD era, but audiophile sound has never been an absolute necessity for me.

I was just always surprised by the harsh criticism of those 90s "McCartney Collection" Remasters and suspect that it was that criticism that kept them from ever being released here in the US.

I'm sure that, with the further advances in technology, the New Remasters run rings around those 90s issues. But, at the time, I just thought that they were an improvement over the previous 80s CDs available in the US and, for me, that was sufficient.

I'm still buying all of the New Remasters as they become available!

I already own a CD of "Thrillington", which was briefly available for awhile as a single CD, and I have a decent bootleg of RAM in Mono so I didn't feel the need to buy an expensive Box Set just for a sonic upgrade of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:30:20 PM PST
DKPete says:
Cyberian, I'm certainly not recommending that you put out all that money for a deluxe set just for the mono mix...but I have to share with you that the difference between the bootleg of the mono Ram compared to this remaster...no comparison. I don't know if you're into vinyl but the Lp is available out there on it's own. If you're still into records, this one is worth having for the upgraded sound quality aspect. As I've said, I actually prefer it to the stereo mix...but i would never have said that if all I had to go by was the quality of the bootleg.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:40:17 PM PST
DKPete,

I'm not a vinyl collector anymore, but since you recommend it so highly, I WILL plan on upgrading to the Mono CD at some point.

Thanks for the info!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:07:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:09:40 PM PST
Hinch says:
I just found an article that said the UA Hard Day's Night soundtrack was bought by Capitol and released in 1980. It remained in print throughout the life of the U.S. vinyl industry.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 4:40:01 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
Daniel E. White says:
I will use Ram as an example. The noise reduction on the Mews remaster became detectable to me, when I could compare the cds through my computer system.

Do you have the DCC Compact Classics gold disc version of Ram? If so, What is your opinion of it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:48:50 AM PST
Geezerguy,

I don't have that cd and I have never listened to it. I have the original lp, the 90 something remaster and this years deluxe release. I didn't get the one that has the mono remaster though. I am very happy with the version that I bought.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:11:24 PM PST
Visited a local record (used, some new) shop. Place is loaded with multiple copies of the new Beatles stereo vinyl, priced at $21.99 each. I'd like to pick up a few (few) titles, for the mono mixes, especially RUBBER SOUL. Maybe the Sgt. PEPPER mono. $33.99 and local sales tax for the white album, too ouch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:14:46 AM PST
You are an audiophile? Does that mean you find black boxes to be sexy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 9:16:21 AM PST
I was none to happy when Past Masters 2 first came out, as I wanted Beatles Again instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 10:54:23 AM PST
I can't admit to having any affection with or for any black boxes...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:17:54 PM PST
I think Dr. Nemo would find this sexy.

Marantz SR7007 Home Theater AV Receiver
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions