Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elton John is better than the Beatles.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 641 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 26, 2012 8:19:32 PM PST
welltoplease says:
I once saw Elton John stumbling out of the Carlton Hotel dressed in a polka-dot clown suit, draped over his Italian lover on the way to his limo. It was disgusting!
-------------------------------------

To you perhaps, but some of us have lives and want to live them how we wish. If you wish to be respected for how YOU live, you have to respect others for how they live. I could care less how Elton is dressed and what his lifestyle is. He deserves to be happy like everyone else. Honestly, I think Elton is a good soul and I have nothing but respect for the man. I greatly appreciate all the hard work he has put in to produce excellent music and albums. You are entitled to your ignorance but I will not partake. I'm done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 8:37:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 8:45:34 PM PST
barbW says:
Is it because the songs of the Beatles were crafted and arranged before most of Elton's songs that fans rank the output of the Beatles lower?

When will Elton meet that same fate? Is there already a more recent songster who's a better craftsman for these times?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:05:51 PM PST
G. Mariner says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 9:19:11 PM PST
ronct says:
Abba wrote a better Waterloo song than the Kinks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:22:50 PM PST
utter nonsense

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 12:12:54 AM PST
Hinch says:
It it wasnt for The Beatles, there would be no Elton John. He was very influenced by them. All you have to do is listen to his music.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 4:04:23 AM PST
I just wish i was in one of their famous parties..... when bestfriends Harry Nilsson and John Lennon where together in Nilsson's house ... some of the best parties around 73-74 where organinized there... it was the debauched Lennon era... with often among much others ...Alice Cooper, Elton John, David Cassidy and even Brian Wilson was there...as soon as a time machine will be on the market ...i will ring their doorbell :-)

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:25:48 AM PST
vivazappa says:
And Anne Murray...

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 3:21:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 12:34:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 5:36:40 PM PST
DKPete says:
F..I agree that if there was no Beatles there would be no Elton-but only sequentially..meaning, they (or someone) had to come first to get the "chain of events" going. I mean this largely in the self-contained artist/band sense.

But if we're going to talk about strictly music and "great songs", I feel that-for all intents and purposes-he was "The Beatles" of the early to mid-seventies. I say this for two main reasons. One, while he had the multiple universal hits, he made beautifully put together albums and, like The Beatles, his style did not remain the same.

This is not to say who is better. I remember saying to a friend when Caribou was first released, if he (Elton) and Taupin continue like this, they will be considered the next Lennon and McCartney. Of course, that did not happen. But although Elton John did not cause the worldwide cultural turnarounds which The Beatles caused (and are felt to this day), in terms of "good music" loved by "everyone", he comes as close to The Beatles as anyone possibly can (side note: I say that from the perspective of someone who consideres The Beatles to be "the best"..it doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 5:37:37 PM PST
DKPete says:
Micky, that second sentence-all round brilliance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 5:37:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 5:40:17 PM PST
Hinch says:
Micky

You have it backwards. Brian was in love with John. There is no evidence John was gay, considering all the women he was with. If he was, I believe John would have admitted it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 5:39:36 PM PST
Hinch says:
>he was "The Beatles" of the early to mid-seventies<

I can't deny that.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 5:48:50 PM PST
Definetivelly ! Elton is a Complete Musician. He is a guy that really know the notes. All of them. The Beatles..., well, you know. They're both two things appart. I believe they're all Artists. They all play the Music of their own. In my humble oppinion, people, this is a waste of time to discuss who's better, who's the best. Each and everyone is an Universe. We keep on Playing for we are Music. So keep on keepin' on, friends. Nobody's better than anyone. Peace; Joe McDope _/)..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 7:18:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 7:30:26 PM PST
I don't think he would have admitted it back then, in the 60's, it was actually a crime to be gay before 1967 in the UK, before the law was changed, it was something people kept secret to themselves, not flaunted like today.

Even by 1980, when Lennon died, I don't think it was overly common for famous people to 'come out', even though times had changed somewhat.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:23:42 PM PST
Presbyteros says:
I'm sorry. Did I stumble into the dope smoking chat?

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:35:24 PM PST
Zerohouse says:
What an hilarious thread. But if you want the truth, just recall what Elvis was doing when he invited the Beatles over to his pad in L.A. He was listening to Charlie Rich's "Mohair Sam" repeatedly to the point of distraction. He was very paranoid that Rich was actually superior to him which proved to be true as Elvis declined into his Vegas years and the Beatles went their separate ways. Remember, only the good die young and Elton ain't young.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 7:37:40 PM PST
Hinch says:
I was thinking of the 70s, besides, drugs were illegal too and he didnt mind admitting that.

It's cool to be gay now and people dont mind if they're thought of as gay, even if they're not.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:39:05 PM PST
Hinch says:
I believe Lennon would have been in the forefront of gay rights if he was gay.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:47:46 PM PST
"Without The Beatles no Elton John"?

Shouldn't it rather be no Hoagy Carmichael no Elton John?

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:51:32 PM PST
And shouldn't it be no Shadows no Beatles?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 8:14:35 PM PST
Hinch says:
Maybe both. There may have been a Reginald Kenneth Dwight, but I doubt we would have an Elton John as we know him. "Reggie" started out playing standards and songs by artists like Jim Reeves and Ray Charles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 8:19:17 PM PST
Hinch says:
We could carry that back as far as we want proably, but it doesn't negate the point.

The title of the thread is "Elton John is better than The Beatles". My point is there's a good chance there would be no Elton(as we know him) considering he names them as a major influence., just as the may be no Beatles without Elvis.

Of course we will never know, will we?

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 8:28:41 PM PST
ronct says:
Yes, and that was my bag you just knocked over....do you mind!

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:29:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 8:30:21 PM PST
Hincholson:

I guess not. It just never entered my mind to compare Elton John and The Beatles. They were each unique and probably the best in their own particular field.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  140
Total posts:  641
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions