Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rock music wasn't really good until The Beatles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 205 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:52:20 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
It hasn't gotten under my skin. It's too ridiculous a concept. The Beatles were a very good band but your premise is proof of a very limited knowledge of Rock and Roll. How many of the artists that I mentioned have you listened to or even heard of? I doubt John and Paul would agree with you. As to artistically superior I have no idea what that means. I love early Rock and Roll, 60s Rock and Roll, 70s Rock and Roll etc. None of it is superior to the other. As a matter of fact, some of what The Beatles evolved to actually took the heart and soul out of Rock and Roll which is why we needed Punk and New Wave in the 70s to save us from Prog Rock.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:58:59 AM PST
<<which is why we needed Punk and New Wave in the 70s to save us from Prog Rock.>>
prog rock wasn't the only culprit...
don't forget Disco....
actually do forget disco..
you understand what I'm saying.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:01:44 AM PST
Hinch says:
Being on my phone, I don't know what post you're refering to. Of course people agree and disagree with many things. Ask me if I care. Lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:12:44 AM PST
Hinch says:
Btw, as much as I like The Beatles, I disagree music wasn't good before them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:20:22 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:55:35 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
MiBoDoCa says: "which is why we needed Punk and New Wave in the 70s to save us from Prog Rock."

You had to be "saved" from Prog Rock? Was someone forcing prog upon you? If you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it. It's not as if every radio station in the mid to late '70's was taken over by prog rock. Out of maybe 400 successful bands throughout the seventies, how many were Prog Rock? Maybe 20?......25? How about "Glam Rock"? Or the "Hair Metal" bands? IMO, they did more credibility damage to rock & roll then any of the Prog bands, who for much of their own existence were mostly considered "underground" bands (How many at the time had actually heard of Camel, Rennaissance, Head East, Gentle Giant, Soft Machine ?)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:09:03 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says: "The Beatles NEVER rocked as hard as these originators!"

Oh really ? Never, huh ? Let's see...

"I'm Down"
"Back in the USSR"
"Helter Skelter"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"A Hard Day's Night"
Their cover of "Roll Over Beethoven"
"Ticket to Ride"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Yer Blues"
"Come Together"
"Get Back"
"I've Got a Feeling"
"One After 909"
"Taxman"
"She Said She Said"
"Paperback Writer"
"Rain"
"Drive My Car"
"She Loves You"
Their cover of "Twist and Shout"
"It Won't Be Long"
"Don't Bother Me"
"Any Time at All"
"Magical Mystery Tour"
"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"
"Revolution"
"Dr. Robert"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"

And that's just a primer. You really embarassed yourself with that statement quoted above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:18:29 PM PST
RVACountryLover says: "The beatles were horrible. They couldnt sing and barely play instruments. They had zero Charisma. Elvis had charisma and talent."

Lennon and McCartney are both universally acknowledged as having two of the best voices in rock history. Not to mention being the two best composers. Bass players also recognize that Paul McCartney is a terrific and harmonically inventive bassist, responsible for some great runs (like in "Come Together", for example).

Elvis made spectacular, terrific music in the '50's, but he wasted the 1960's in a ton of horrible movies with lousy soundtracks. He had a brief comeback in 1968-69 with that great NBC TV special and his initial appearances in Vegas, then proceeded to go straight downhill again and became fat, bloated and a drug addict - not to mention a gross parody of himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:26:33 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I actually was a prog rock fan. I saw Gentle Giant 5 times so I know all those bands. It was Prog Rock that Punk was rallying against. I didn't mean save us literally but The Beatles did help create some overblown pomposity and we lost the soul of Rock and Roll for awhile. Of course I'd take the worst of Prog Rock now over what is created as music now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:32:43 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
You are right. I knew when writing it I was not stating fact. I'm Down is one of my favorite all time Rock and Roll songs. The premise of this discussion had me riled up and I certainly overstated the point although you have some songs in there I would not consider " rocked as hard as these originators"

"Magical Mystery Tour"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"She Loves You"
"Drive My Car"
"Come Together"

Some are good songs but not Rockin'. And I'm not a fan of their Chuck Berry cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:48:17 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
MiBoDoCa says: "It was Prog Rock that Punk was rallying against. I didn't mean save us literally....."

Ok, now I get where you're coming from. Yes, Punk was the rallying call against Prog, and as the story evolved, "Grunge" was supposed to "save" us from the polished corporate rock of the eighties.

Personally though, I loved the Prog bands AND many of the Punks. Likewise with the earliest Grunge. But after a while I felt Grunge was becoming kind of a parody of itself and started to get too "cookie cutter".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:03:45 PM PST
Damn right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:12:57 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I agree 100%.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:16:08 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:23:23 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:05:39 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I always say you'll never see Foreigner, Journey, and Toto in a room together. They're the same band.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:59:20 PM PST
S. O'Brien says:
Robert
I'd say the only song The Beatles had that came close to kind of rocking was "Helter Skelter". The rest of those you listed are on the lighter side.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:19:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:30:12 AM PST
RVACountryLover,

The Beatles wrote their own material. Elvis didn't and couldn't. Lennon and McCartney were two of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century. Elvis was a redneck southern boy who got by on two things - his looks and his voice. That's it. And he started getting fat right after the Hawaii concert TV special in '73. After his separation from Priscilla, he no longer gave a damn about anything.

The Beatles' drug use expanded their collective minds and creativity. Elvis' drug use was a combination of downers and sleeping pills and God knows what else. The man was washed up and he knew it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:22:07 AM PST
S. O'Brien,

On the lighter side compared to what ? Mastodon or other death metal bands ?? Then yeah, I guess so. You young kids can't appreciate real greatness when you hear it. Face up to it -- with the exception of a couple of artists, rock has been mostly s--t since the mid-'80's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:28:09 AM PST

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:01:24 AM PST
I think that some people (and I have noticed this way before these posts) think that you have to be a hard rock or heavy metal to band to rock. That is just not the case. It's not about volume or bashing, although that can be an added ingredient. But to say the Beatles never rocked is just rediculous. Did they rock all the time? No, of course not. They were much too versatile a band to do one kind of thing. Remember The Beatles influences were all the original great rockers, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, early Elvis, ETC. When everything got very tamed in the early 60's, The Beatles re-introduced rock and roll and things took off from there. Someone in an earlier post listed a bunch of Beatles rockers and they were correct. Hell, there are many groups who were not exactly rockers who would make an occassional great rocker. The Beatles made a lot more than the occassional great rocker. They were old pro's before they even had their first hit. They were a true rock band from their Hamburg days and according to Lennon, at their best. Some of you may not like The Beatles but lets be serious, to say they couldn't rock, it's like saying Hendrix couldn't play guitar.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:57:39 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2013 7:14:52 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:09:54 AM PST
I am sure glad that I wasn't saved from prog rock. My favorite genre!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:26:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 6:29:49 PM PST
barbW says:
ah, this was the beginning of the decline in pop music.

I didn't realize that high schoolers your age back then - were rejecting the music of those bands in favor of the punk attitude and posturing (which lead nowhere and is now just a comical footnote due to its musical mediocrity).

I realize that hindsight is 20/20. I couldn't have seen it back then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:27:41 PM PST
barbW says:
It depends upon what you want from a band.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  205
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions