Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Who vs. Led Zeppelin....which one do you prefer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 474 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 10:32:10 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Live only?

The Who, hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 11:16:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2011 6:57:27 AM PDT
club 7 says:
it's true. the who were much better live.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 11:33:34 AM PDT
I think a lot of this also depends on whether you are more inclined to listen to hard rock that doesn't cross the line into heavy metal teritory, or heavy metal itself. Yeah, Zeppelin could do blues, an occasional ballad and British-influenced folk, but so much of their stuff sounds like a gothic horror movie. The studio version of "Dazed and Confused" is a good example. And Plant's voice just screeches too much, where Daltrey sounds tough and ready to rumble, yet very moving on a ballad like "Behind Blue Eyes".

The Who sound like a proud, tough hard rock band that emerged from London's streets and are singing to the guy sipping a pint at the local pub. They can be melodic and powerful at the same time. Zeppelin sounds like a group of guys who read too much J.R. Tolkien and forgot the meaning of melody.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 11:46:45 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Well put, Robert. To simplify even further, The Who had the better SONGS in the traditional sense, ie, melodies, etc., but Zep had the better (or at least heavier) RIFFS.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 11:48:37 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I suppose if people like riffs, that's fine.

They used to call it "riff rock".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 12:38:08 PM PDT
dejus says:
what on earth are you talking about anyway??

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 6:47:44 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Led Zeppelin

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 11:55:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2011 11:59:14 PM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Robert,
But I LIKE "Dazed & Confused"! LOVE it, in fact. I could throw on any studio Zep album and really dig it. And I love "Battle of Evermore". And everything on Physical Graffiti.

Actually, DaveRay focused on what it is that I DON'T really like about Zeppelin, and that's when they perform live. I mean, The Song Remains The Same is (I think) one of the worst live movies, ever. The performances are sub-par (for a supposed "supergroup", anyway). I think that's the general consensus, even among Zep fans. Maybe that's due more to Plant's singing than the other 3 -- but it was pretty bad. And, of course, you got all that other goofy stuff going on in there that they filmed. I guess I thought it was kinda cool when I was 15 and watching it in a theater with my friends at the midnight show -- but it definitely didn't age well. (I DID dig that bit about Peter Grant, though, when he got all pissed off about the missing money -- that was cool!)

Some of the live material I've seen in their self-titled live double DVD is pretty good. But I really thrive on their studio stuff. I guess it really depends if Plant is on his game, more or less.

The Who, on the other hand, I love 'em, both Live & Studio. Often, critics state that their studio material pales in comparison to their live performances. I love both.

And, just for the record, I am not a Metalhead. I like some Deep Purple, some Uriah Heep -- but I really am more into British invasion, progressive (I know, "ewww!"), jazz, and jazz/rock fusion.

I like too much music.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 5:06:07 PM PDT
Led Zeppelins music has aged better than the whos. Judging by all the young people wearing Zep shirts and that radio stations beyond the classic rock format play Zeps music but, not the whos. The whos music sounds dated (Like most bands from the 60s).

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 6:41:08 PM PDT
MACLEAR says:
What a dilemma? Maybe it boils down to whether I am in the mood for blues or rock - also Zep's lyrics are rarely personal in the way Townshend's are. Plant is a more proficient singer and Entwhistle the better bassist, but as for the rest it is a toss up. Two of my favorite turn up the volume and let the ears bleed songs are "Kashmir" from the one and "Won't Get Fooled Again" by the other. I guess I would lean to Zep if only because the Who should have closed shop when Moon passed (instead of growing old gracelessly) as Zep did when Bonham died (not the best reason but it is by a hairsbreath).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 9:14:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2011 9:31:49 PM PDT
I think a lot of young people see it as 'cool' to wear a Zeppelin, Floyd or Bob Marley t-shirt. I'd love to walk up to them and ask but I bet more than half of them can't name more than 5 songs or the band members.

I think Zeppelin's music has aged more than the Who's. Those lyrics by Plant can be downright ridiculous when compared to The Who. It may have been 'hip' at the time but that deep hidden meaning of Stairway sounds silly to me today.

PS..I was once one of those kids wearing the Zeppelin T-shirt..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 11:08:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2013 6:16:06 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
What does wearing a Zeppelin T- Shirt mean anyway? Uhh besides the fact that they are/were one of the easiest ones to get? If they're selling them at Wal-Mart and Target does that mean wearing one now makes someone hip, cool or....lol knowledgeable about 70's music? No it just means that they went into Wal Mart one day and bought toilet paper, toothpaste and a Zeppelin T-shirt.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 12:23:00 AM PDT
K. Neubauer says:
THE WHO hands down, much harder working band, more creative, more thunder, more personality and showmanship! Daltrey ovwe Plant, Pete Towsend better rythem player and songwriter than Jimmy, but Jimmy a better lead player, John Paul Johns can't touch John Enwhistle, and of course nobody played more freeley and thunderous than Keith Moon, besides Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys , and Neal Smith of Alice Cooper Band, all three of these guys were the biggest ock Star drummers!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 12:25:15 AM PDT
K. Neubauer says:
Me too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 12:27:04 AM PDT
K. Neubauer says:
Daltrey over Plant
Entwhistle over John Paul Jones
Monn over Bonham
Pete Townsend tied w/ Jimmy Page

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 3:10:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 3:11:17 AM PDT
Spelling a bit strange - ovwe, Towsed, rythem, John Paul Johns, Entwhistle, freeley, ock Star, Monn, - to name a few oddities in the last three posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:29:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 6:31:46 AM PDT
But it's Zeppelin, Man, and it's heavy sheeeit..I'm so hip I don't listen to these new bands cuz I like Zeppelin, dude! And I got his tee of this rastafarian dude smoking a joint so I bought that, too..Turns out he made reggae music..Pretty neat, huh? And the Wall, man..People ask me why I like Floyd and I tell them, Dude, the Wall man..The Wall...

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:48:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 14, 2011 6:48:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 7:38:06 AM PDT
DAMPER says:
I liked the first 3 Zep albums and their 1976 release as well when I was a teen and still do but cannot stand the most of the other material. Overall I do not like Robert Plant as a vocalist and feel The Who is far better when looking at their work over the long term. Even Daltrey's 1980 release sounded good to me unlike Zep's 1979 release or Plant's solo work which I think is junk.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 7:55:17 AM PDT
MozartFX says:
Zeppelin. Magic Bus? The Man Behind Blue Balls? Please. Zeppelin's music is timeless. The Who's music sounds dated. Listen to Zeppelin III, it's....perfect. Every "Oooh, Aaah, Oh yea", it's like a perfectly cut diamond. Sorry, I don't have any "hard rock" lines to finish with. Please insert your own....line, your own line.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 9:07:16 AM PDT
Zaplightning says:
I like the Who, they put out some really cool music. Zeppelin is my choice though. I don't buy into that the Who was a better live band. I saw Zeppelin twice and they blew the roof off!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 9:24:02 AM PDT
DavRay says:
Yeah, but The Who brought the house down.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 9:44:18 AM PDT
MC says:
Having seen the Who seven times, and Led Zepp five, I'd have to say they're different but equally brilliant on good nights, equally disappointing on lesser nights.....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 5:52:54 PM PDT
Hinch says:
There's a guy at work about 25 or 30 I'd guess, and he wears a lot of rock t-shirt. Pink Floyd and AC/DC he wears a lot. I don't like to judge people, but I've wondered if he even listens to them. He just doesn't look to be the rocker type. lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 5:55:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2011 5:59:00 PM PDT
Hinch says:
lol!

I don't know about other people, but I only wear t-shirts of artists I like, but I get your point.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The 5 Least Impressive Beatle Songs 103 25 seconds ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 8359 4 minutes ago
Album Battles 940 8 minutes ago
Like Dubstep? 6 10 minutes ago
The Music of Our Lives Vol III 5214 12 minutes ago
Billy Joel vs. Bruce Springsteen 70 1 hour ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2895 2 hours ago
Song Game - Part II ... 10 songs where... 1452 2 hours ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4677 2 hours ago
New Music For 2015 812 3 hours ago
Art Garfunkel Calls Paul Simon Names 291 4 hours ago
Favourite Female Artists 1885 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  474
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions