Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best bass players in rock, Please no jazz etc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 225 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 17, 2011 3:29:41 PM PDT
ED S. says:
I would say that we are all leaving out one of the great bass players of the 1960's/early 70's. Do you like the bass riff on "Light My Fire" or "Moonlight Drive"?
Ray Manzarek on the Fender Rhodes Piano Bass.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 1:03:46 PM PDT
chris says:
the ox

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 1:32:40 PM PDT
Glenn Hughes-Black Country Communion, Deep Purple

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 1:55:37 PM PDT
Lemmy Kilmister. Just remembering all of those songs is a feat let alone playing and singing them. Maybe he's just playing the same thing over and over for each song? If he is that's still talent, because he's been sucessful at it for a looong time.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 2:07:15 PM PDT
Maclen says:
Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 2:09:35 PM PDT
Picoman says:
Flea. No question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 3:15:17 PM PDT
davyboy says:
Ronnie Lane

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 4:53:13 PM PDT
Robert Kutz says:
I 've got a few
First andforemost
Sir Paul McCartney
along with Brian Wilson he helped create the bass as if not lead instrument a co lead
Adam Clayton-I love the Edge's riffs but Adam Clayton drives U2 music.
John Entwhistle so mush more than" Boris the Spider" .Thunder Fingers, Like John Paul Jones kept the ride on the tracks and moved us.
I've loved Chris Squire 's playing for years. He has over the years learned just when NOT to play. Some of his bass lines remind me of Count Basie on the piano.Just the notes you need. Of course then he also plays so over the top on ocassion too.
Berry Oakley He was gone so fast but there was something there that given sunlight would have grown.
"Duck" Dunn He has played on EVERYONE"S records[when they were records]You've heard him and loved him
Benard Edwards. Chic One of the most famous bass lines in music [ after Smoke on the Water that is]
and I could go on for days but although not a critical favorite one of my favorites is Dee Murray form Elton John's band I saw him play with Elton many times and each time he got better and better.
I saw him playing with Alice Cooper and he was the band.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 5:53:46 PM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
Doug Pinnick - King's X
Lee Rocker - Stray Cats (upright bass)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:17:55 PM PDT
J-Fal says:
Please......Les Claypool....'nuff said

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:26:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 6:27:44 PM PDT
Yeah, Lee Rocker! His solo work is great as well.

EDIT: Ronnie Lane too!

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:54:06 PM PDT
Thor-Zine says:
James Jamerson is a jazz bassist. Plus I wonder how much you are going to stretch classification in your Rock list by leaving out the Jazz players but letting people slide the Soul/Funk/R&B players in like Bootsy Collins and Larry Graham. Actually they should be included because they got all the Rock Guys slapping! Many of those guys on your list started hearing the funk/jazz/fusion guys and then changed the way they played.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:56:02 PM PDT
Madnav says:
what?

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:58:18 PM PDT
Madnav says:
OMG!! No one mentioned Les Claypool!!!! My top three are : 1. Les Claypool 2. Flea 3. Geddy Lee

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:59:55 PM PDT
Madnav says:
Hell yeah!!! He is absolutely sick without a doubt!!!

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 8:10:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 8:26:13 PM PDT
W. B. Abbott says:
1. Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) - "Iron Man", "Fire" & "The Ballad of Jed Clampet" ain't jazz. I'm just sayin'. After Victor, you can't say the *instrument* is holding you back.
2. John Entwistle - The Who - An unearthly talent. Words can't say it.
3. Paul McCartney (Beatles, Wings) - always thinking, trying to make it better. Not perfect, but VERY VERY good. Insanely gifted.
4. Carol Kaye - Session player on everything. "Boots" (Nancy Sinatra) to "Good Vibrations" (Beach Boys) Wouldn't be the same world without her
5. James Jamerson - Motown session man, delivering the goods without fuss, making it sound easy.
6. Jack Cassidy (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna) From roots to outer space, folk to edge-of-metal. My pick for most under-apperciated.
7. Bootsy Collins (James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic) And still goin' strong!
8. Donald "Duck" Dunn (ATCO session player, MG with Booker T. & Blues Brothers sideman)
9. David Hood (Muscle Shoals Studio) A major reason for "The Muscle Shoals Sound".
10 Graham Maby (Joe Jackson's band) From "Fridays" to "Stepping Out", and all the rest.
11. Michael "Flea" Balzary (Red Hot Chili Peppers) A virtuoso punk funk rocker.
12. Alan Whitman (The Mermen) The heart holding together the best psychedelic surf music ever. Jimi was wrong about that. Check out "The Curve" or "Ocean Beach" (or "My Black Bag/Honeybomb")
13. Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Tony Levin, Sold citizens who need no introduction
14. Sting. On the first 'n' records, when the Police were a rock band. He might have prospered if he'd stuck with it.
15. Stephen Stills, Seriously. On his own records and other peoples too. VERY effective. Bass on the CS&N record alone gets him a seat on the bus.
16. John McVie. Bill Wyman. And a hundred others who brought in the bottom-end.
17. DeeDee Ramone. 1,2,3,4!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 8:16:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 8:26:52 PM PDT
W. B. Abbott says:
Lee Dorman! OMG! YEAH! In-A-Gadda_Da-Vida and Are You Happy too! The man was a monster. And offstage, the band's deepest thinker

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 8:26:00 PM PDT
R. Davis says:
But he can't play the bass to save his life

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 8:29:40 PM PDT
R. Davis says:
Colin Moulding (XTC) - Listen to "Mayor Of Simpleton"
And of course John Entwhistle and Geddy Lee

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 12:33:12 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I don't know if he's the best, but Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick, is pretty darn good. He was the first to play a 12 string bass. His 12-string bass debuts on the song "Heaven Tonight". He played bass as a second lead guitar on "He's a Whore" from Cheap Trick's debut album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 9:38:42 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
In no particular order, here are the guys that made me listen to their playing:

- Geddy Lee (Rush)
- John Entwistle (da 'Oo)
- John Paul Jones (Zep)
- Chris Squire (Yes)
- Doug Wimbish (Living Colour) - and the guy Wimbish replaced, Muzz Skillings, was no slouch either!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 11:11:27 AM PDT
bass boy says:
Oh no, Working Man, you and I BOTH mentioned Andy Fraser of Free. (I'm actually friends with him on Facebook. Lol! :)
Free and Fraser are great. Fraser's bassplaying on those Free albums (all but "Heartbreaker," which featured Tetsu Yamauchi on bass) is amazing. Say what you want about "All Right Now" being overplayed, but Fraser's bassplaying on that track (and any other Free song) never, ever, ever gets old. Fraser is up there just behind Entwistle, Lee and Squire, in my book. Fraser and Ronnie Lane were/are so underrated.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 11:40:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2011 11:49:04 AM PDT
Paul McCartney actually got a lot of his mid sixties style from Carol Kaye's playing on "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys. What I like about Chris Squire is he plays almost symphonic bass lines. He doesn't just hammer you with technique. Jonas Hellbourg's playing with Shawn Lane is pretty awesome. Entwistle got his style/sound trying to play Duane Eddy songs on his bass. Mike Watt is a bass playing machine disguised as a human. I opened for "firehose", him and Georges band after the Minutemen. His playing is staggering live. I was playing a Wal fretless and I'm pretty good. I went up to Mike after the show and said "You are one bad Mother $^$#@", and he said "You're no slouch yourself". We shook hands and I went on my way.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 12:03:28 PM PDT
MarcoVG4 says:
Nice to see 3 mentions of Graham Maby. No mention of Bruce Thomas (The Attractions) - a highly underrated bass player.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 12:18:01 PM PDT
JP says:
There's actually a lot of them:

Les Claypool
Flea
Chris Squire
Geddy Lee
John Paul Jones (NEVER played more than was necessary)
John Entwistle
John Myung
John Wetton
Tony Levin (who else has played with Crimson, Floyd AND "Yes witout Squire")
Guy Pratt
Steve Harris
Stu Hamm (his theme from Peanuts - "Lucy and Linus" (I think) is priceless)
Victor Wooten
Robert Trujillo
on and on and on

Glad to see everyone of them was previously mentioned.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs : Suite : Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills & Nash (#426) 2 14 seconds ago
Lies Told In The New Jimi Hendrix Film, Which Portrays Him As As Violent And Abusive 77 26 seconds ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 1703 2 minutes ago
Was June 29, 1990 - February 23, 1991 the Worst # 1 Album Run Ever on the Billboard 200 Album Chart? 0 8 minutes ago
Elton John-- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 1973----Electric Light Orchestra Out Of The Blue 1977 3 29 minutes ago
1985--- The Power Station--- Tears For Fears 'Songs From The Big Chair--- Bob Dylan ' Empire Burlesque'. 19 36 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1428 59 minutes ago
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs : Dream On by Aerosmith (#173) 0 1 hour ago
Ten Years After - Savoy Brown 1967 - 1973 27 1 hour ago
A Taste of 2014... 480 1 hour ago
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums : The Clash's London Calling (#8) 69 1 hour ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 351 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  127
Total posts:  225
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions